/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid Questions Thread.

Use an internet search engine before posting ITT.

Post here before creating useless threads.

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759917.p?skuId=5759917
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Does anyone use tachiyomi? How the fug do I get it to read CBR files?

My hdd is showing reallocated sector warnings this evening(ST32000641AS).
Could i replace it with a ST2000DM006? Its in a raid-6
Same rpm(7200),cache(64mb),size(2tb).
The difference being the 32000 is more expensive and came out 7 years ago, while the 20000 is newer and less expensive

Is there a way to install gentoo on an iPhone?

Is there any software for Windows that can save state of the application just like VM snapshots but less cumbersome?

Is there a way to force Firefox to play Youtube videos with h.264 without a) using an addon, and b) disabling the ability to view Sup Forums webms?

Watching Youtube videos overworks my CPU

I'm a python idiot please help.

I'm writing a script that needs to use randint and random.sample.

If I use "from random import *", randint works but random.sample returns
>AttributeError: 'builtin_function_or_method' object has no attribute 'sample'

If I use "import random", random.sample works but randint returns
>NameError: name 'randint' is not defined

If I do
>from random import *
>import random
Both randint and random.sample work.

If I do
>import random
>from random import *
randint works but random.sample returns the same attribute error.

Can someone explain what the fuck is going on?

Recommend me a laptop strictly for school?
I already have a W520 at home, so I'm not looking to buy something expensive.
Just want something cheap and lightweight. Something like a macbook, except not apple and much much more cheap.

You used to be able to append &fmt=18 to an url, but I haven't tried it in ages.
(H264 with AAC audio)
And I'm not sure if they're the same format numbers as youtube-dl -F shows, but you could test that too.

Why not just use from random import sample, randint

Can someone help me understand bitcoin mining hardware?
I know that hashes per second are an important indicator on your final BTC, I can't see anything other than the antminer S7 or S9 being worth it. It has to have at least 2 TH/s for some form of monthly passive income.

The thing is I see no indicator as to hashes per second and I dont know what to look for when hardware shopping. For example, I want to run graphic design programs on a computer but I also want to play some low end valve games, so I might just transfer over my nvidia 980 and upgrade my ram to 16gb because it has low cas latency and the channel on the new mobo is the same.

What do I fucking look for when buying hardware for miners, every website just uses buzzwords or terminology they dont even explain, nothing is properly explained and I've had to scour through multiple wiki articles to finally comprehend how the bitcoin mining process and the math behind it works.

I didn't consider that, but I just tried it and random.sample returns
>NameError: name 'random' is not defined

randint works fine.

Going off that I just tried
>from random import randint, random, sample
randint works, random.sample returns
>AttributeError: 'builtin_function_or_method' object has no attribute 'sample'

Going back to my original post, do you have any idea why
>from random import *
>import random
would cause both to work, while
>import random
>from random import *
would cause only randint to work?

Anyone with microsoft remote desktop know what to fill in for domain/user?

I assume "host name or IP address" is my PC's IPc4 Address.

Hmm k. I think I'll just toggle media.webm.enabled as needed when viewing webms. Annoying but not too bad I guess.

My name is Jeff xD

>take an internet speedtest in a dorm
>results imply that i have the likes of complete dogshit 3rd world internet
>internet speed is decent in reality
Why?

refurbished business grade laptop my friend is where you'll find the best deal

it'll be something like WORKGROUP and the username of an account on the machine you're trying to connect to

Use a different speedtest server, check Login from Arizona.

Also whoever manages your network probably throttles speedtests and torrents.

read about objects and imports in the fucking doc you trisomic shit

Why is retro tech so much comfier? Everything modern looks like shit and the same.

Thats the fun part of mining.

>it'll be something like WORKGROUP and the username of an account on the machine you're trying to connect to

Sweet, it worked! Thanks man.

How do I choose a CPU?
I'm going to be taking a circuits class so I don't know what I'll need.
Here are my options:
Intel Core i5 (90) Intel Core i5 3rd Gen (32) Intel Core i5 2nd Gen (16) Intel Core i3 (27) Intel Core i3 2nd Gen (1) AMD A4-Series (2) AMD A6-Series (1) AMD E2-Series (1) Intel Celeron (7) Intel Core 2 Duo (16) AMD Turion II (1) Intel Core Duo (2)
I literally don't know what I'm doing

Also for gateway I left it as "no gateway configured". does this matter?

Latest gen possible Intel I5.

Avoid pre-Ryzen AMD at any cost, Intel Celerons are a joke, C2D and CD CPUs are outdated, I3 is not just worth it.

I have an old 2007 HP monitor (HP w1907) that has both VGA and DVI, when I'm using it in VGA at the native resolution, or any resolution, it is obviously more blurry than when using DVI, but when I go from the default 60hz on VGA to 75hz on VGA the image gets as clear as if it was DVI. Anyone know why this happens? Literally all I do is switch from 60hz to 75hz in Windows 7 and everything looks much clearer.

What's the best version of the Geforce GT 1030 in the market, Gigabyte's?

Which field is better to study:
Comp Sci or IT?

yes

Who are these people that rip and upload films and tv shows on major torrent sites?
Why do they do it?

>Why do they do it
To show they can do it faster then the other people

It's unironically a contest between release groups to see who can do it better.
Yes, that is actually their motivation. As you can probably guess, IP laws are often laxer where they live.

Whats a legit open source video editing software? I'm afraid of ransomware and I don't want to pirate shit.

>legit open source video editing software
Ive never heard of a nonlegit open source video editing program, but anyhow. I recommend kdenlive as your video editing program of choice.

openshot
cinelerra

You know what I mean, a dope video editing software that's free.

>Yes, that is actually their motivation.
But why though?
It takes a fair amount of effort. And some groups upload LITERALLY everything

>I'm afraid to use free programs
linux doesn't have this problem
openshot btw

Stupid questions? I think I'm in the right place.
1. Can a VPN hide the fact that I'm torrenting from my ISP?
2. If so, any good recommendations?

Previous landlord was a conspiracy theorist, so he did something similar with the internet to avoid being tracked, new place lacks crazy (but useful) paranoid landlord. I just want to torrent some shows. Any help would be great

>dope
This is Sup Forums not /nigger/.
That is not how to explain software

Yes
Search

I forgot my laptop's charger and I have another one where I'm out that has an output of 19.5V. The laptop for my charger is 19V. Is it safe?

Pirate adobe premiere pro

That's such a stupid man reason and I love it.

DaVinci, apparently blackmagic puts it out for basically free as a vehicle to sell hardware and software.

Couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this but does anyone here know how to use Sony Vegas well?

Im trying to figure out the crop function, but it seems to be working as a zoom constrained to the aspect ratio. I just want to literally crop out the part of the video i want and have it displayed natively.

should I take the RED interview? rutracker doesn't have much shoegaze.

Will getting a GPU reduce my CPU usage while enconding, streaming and watching 4k@60FPS videos?

it'll help.

>man reason

I can transfer files through ftp with an ethernet cable between two computers right? How do I go about doing that. specifically in arch running on both

it'd probably be easier to just install minidlna on both of them and do it that way, just drag and drop

plug them in and hope both nics support it.If not youll need a patch cable

I have a shity old laptop, a ProBook 4535s, that I'm giving to my friend whose computer died and doesn't have the money to replace it. A few weeks ago it developed a problem where when it is plugged into the wall it will not charge the battery and windows will not recognize its plugged in nor will the charge light come on on the housing, but it will run off AC just fine without a battery installed. I I replaced the battery because it had run down below its charging threshold and wasn't even recognized by the computer but it didn't help this charging issue. The charger is the original genuine HP one it came with, should I replace that too? What else could cause this kind of issue?

How much would a CPU temperature decrease if you stopped using the IGPU?

you don't need to physically connect them if they're both on the same network

one of them is not able to be internet connected. That is why I connected both via ethernet and thought of transfering something that way

May be an issue with the power brick (or less likely, the jack inside the machine or motherboard), HP laptops won't charge if they don't see the identification resistor, but will still run.

How reliable is chkrootkit?

What happens if I use semen as a coolant?

Why are you dealing with Rootkits user, what did you do.
Or you just found out about them and you wanna know if you have one?

It will close any holes in your radiator, like the egg trick.

Paranoia mostly.

They are really easy to detect now, use Malwarebytes has an anti-rootkit built in, you can use their standalone beta but is not updated often.

Use ZFS
Stick in whatever and roll with it, if it breaks replace it with similar size, give no shits about cache or RPM.

>They are really easy to detect now
So it chkrootkit a reliable tool?

Can I plug a UPS into a UPS into a UPS etc for infinite battery backup?

The batteries would discharge evenly, and if one fails the rest of the chain does.

I'm helping someone build a computer remotely. They dont know anything about this so helping them to put everything together has been very fristrating but we've managed to get it all put together.
However, it's having issues on startup. We have an os prepared but cant get the optical drive to open despite being plugged into everything. The computer turns on, but it wont turn off when the power button is pressed down and it has to be unplugged. The specs are as below, every piece is brand new but im worried she might have damaged something on assembly.

750w 80+gold certified evga supernova psu
EVGA GTX 1050
MSI 7270-A mobo
Ripjaws 2x8gb
Intel i5
Hyper 212 EVO Cooler
Fractal Design focus g atx
Optical drive in question is a LG WH14NS40

>she
>long distance assisted assembly
>gaming computer
lmao

Its not what you think. Its actually for my grandmother.

OP's pic
>cisco networking in a nut shell

So Sup Forums.
I want to run bi-weekly backups to another machine. Thing is, I'm planning on eventually having multiple boots, so I'm hoping for a solution that avoids software. Is there such a thing as a RAID card that is smart enough to run a backup to a remote server regardless of what the rest of the computer is doing?

I need to install windows 7 on an old laptop so I can use it for college.
What is the best edition to install?
I had windows 7 ultimate picked out, but then I read something about an 'N' edition and that it had some things stripped out.
Is that just less bloated than regular windows or will I not be able to do some things if I install N?

Ultimate x64.
Install this one:
>en_windows_7_ultimate_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_677332
Or
>X17-59465

If you wanna a magnet i can give you one.

yes, just;
1. connect them together, if one is newer than ~15 years old, any cable will do (if they're both really old, a crossover cable might be needed)
2. either let them give themselves an APIPA ip address, or give them both static ip addresses
3. setup a file sharing system, be it samba, an ftp server, ssh, etc
4. transfer files

You can't use Tachiyomi for local files/archives. Use perfect viewer for that. Works perfectly once you adjust options to taste.

>CRT display
>sharp picture and consistent color palette at any resolution
>any LCD display I ever saw
>picture above/below "recommended" resolution is blurry as fuck, sometimes with slightly fucked colors, black is fucking nonexistent
Can somebody explain this shit to me?

lcd's are cheaper to produce and ship, and more convinent to place and move
image quality be damned
not all change is progress

Well shit.

Hi Sup Forums
I'm wondering if there is a program that allows you to create organisable spreadsheet style charts like what you'd find in a wikia. I'm not even sure what I'd search to find a program like this.

Pic related.

Need a laptop thats light and around 13" or less. Don't plan on doing much, just something that can watch chinese cartoons

libre office

Is there any chance I can get one of those CrazyPC 5.25 inch drive bay toasters?

Can someone recommend me a good site for ebook piracy?

#bookz

Is it a stupid choice to build a "practice" computer? Like maybe get the cheapest parts you can find to just practice putting a computer together before actually assembling a valuable computer? I'm basically retarded with terrible hand-eye coordination and feel like I'd royally fuck up somehow with an expensive build with no experience.

That would be a waste of money, yes.
It doesn't require any skills, it is basically Lego with a bit more instructions

how do i get gf?

If he can afford it, it surely doesn't hurt to do it tho.

The part I'm most concerned with is the thermal paste or whatever it's called. I've heard if you don't do it right when applying you can basically just fuck the whole thing up and thought it'd be best to practice prior. Is it not as risky as I've been lead to believe?

You just put a tiny drop of it on top of the CPU, not the bloody pins, and put the cooler on top. Not hard at all really.

How overpriced is bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-by-hp-desktop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-1tb-hard-drive-brushed-aluminum/5759917.p?skuId=5759917 Would it be cheaper to build one with the mining shit going on or just settle for pre-built?

Found the book I was looking for almost inmediatly. I'm not sure if it's downloading it, or if it put me on the queue tho.

pls respond

it put you in queue. give it a minute or two

Every CPU cooler I've ever used has had thermal paste pre-applied. Both stock and aftermarket coolers. Just peel the film off the bottom of the heat sink and pop it on.

Not every heat sink may have that, but you'll probably get lucky. If not, just watch a youtube video.

I'm a total linux noob, pls no bully.

I'm using manjaro XFCE edition with thunar as my file manager. Whe I got to plug in my phone it does not show up in thunar, however, when I use lsusb I can see it shows up as Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0fce:e14e Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB J108i Cedar (mass-storage mode)

What do I need to do to make it show up in thunar?