OLED Display

Holy fucking shit

>comparing OLED to IPS
A comparison to how much improves VA would be way more interesting.

How much?

How much it improves compared to VA. The thing is that IPS panels have dogshit contrast ratios and black levels, everybody knows that. VA is what you get if you care about either of those. It'd be interesting to see if theres even a visually identifiable difference between a 1:5000 contrast, 0.03cd/m^2 VA panel and a 1:20000 constrat, 0.00012cd/m^2 OLED screen (forn comparison, IPS usually dont even reach 1:1000 contrast and are stuch at ~0.12 to 0.18 cd/m^2).

A quickie: what monitor panels has best contrast?

And best black colour (obviously)?

IPS and TN sit around at 1:700-1000
VA usually hovers between 1:4500-5000

Fake and gay.
How can you see the difference if you aren't watching the comparison with an OLED panel?

because oled is able to show more shades of black

Oled is just minboggling tech.
0.1 ms reaction time, not sure about input lag but that's small too I bet. Uses less power, no need for a backlight too. Great colors, great deep blacks too. Only issue, you will have to sell your organs if you want to buy it and the burn in issues, maybe they solved the burn in issues.

it's more feasible to improve IPS contrast rates than to remove OLED ghosting

but then you got the backlight that makes black colors look purple or dark blue

Should just improve VA panels to improve color accuracy. Then you have the perfect panel. Eizo has 120HZ VA, incredible black and contrasts. All that thing needs is better colors then you have the perfect panel. Why bother with IPS glow, insane backlight bleedings, low contrast and black values when you can just take an existing panel technology and "only" adjust the color accuracy? Then again, sicne I dont know jackshit about the process of making panels I wouldnt be surprised if thats the hardest thing to do.

OLED is the first tech that will make me remove Kuro. Not yet, but within the next three years the Kuro will go live with the XBR960 Trinitron. The Sony A1E is fascinating. Still need to see one calibrated, but it blacked me hard enough at the store.

can I use OLED TV as my monitor, can windows handle it?

You'll get image retention from the taskbar. OLED isn't quite there yet for static desktop interfaces.

or just set taskbar to autohide

the color green burns out so image quality decreases over time

The Apple iPhone will be the first mobile device on the planet to have it.

pretty sure samsung makes oled phones for a few years now

my 2013 gs4 has an oled display

You blew it.

Damn, I've been out of the loop.
Last time I checked about oiled was like 5 years ago and it was like a pipe dream.
Tech moves so fast

This should be coming out of LG in a generation or two. RIP my plasma superiority complex.

Therolically oled has infinity contrast as it can turn off individual pixels

it can cut light in between the pixels completely, so halo effect is present anyway it's not 100% contrast

Oleds have infinite contrast. They shutdown individual pixels. At best you'll get local glow. VAs have a slew of other problems like gamma shift on off angle, slow response, and glow ( light is difracted and gives the impression of a mild glow on the entire screen after the backlights are fully bright). Oleds done right could solve very single problem with lcds, if only the price were better and burn in was fixed

can't*

i'd get one if it went under $1 000 at least
DELL canceled $5k OLED monitor

Ghosting can be fixed with strobing, as on most monitors

What could have been...

Yes. The CRTfag in me screams. But I'm ok with OLED defeating the LCD scourge.

That looks super washed out

just like the oled screens you can purchase in the next decade will be

I have a VA screen on my laptop, and I have to turn brightness really damn high for blacks to be noticeable. At night I can still see a glow but it's pretty subtle.

I wouldn't pay more for better blacks desu, but I would for other stuff.

Are you joking?

Shit picture of prototype tech. The individual pixels were CRTs. Legal issues killed it. Could've been the OLED of the 00s and outdone the plasmas that no one remembers were still being sold.

We have oled tvs and phones that look exquisite

It's shit technology. There was an article addressing shit like fast electon emitters degradation because they have to be fucking small and other problems.

reason this tech folded is because it was shit

prices wont go down

AMOLED =! OLED

This is like saying TN and IPS aren't LCD retard.

Are you retarded? Active matrix is used in all modern screens. It's basically synonymous with "this screen is controlled by an electronic controller", which describes ALL screens today. Amoled is just plain old oled, they just dropped the prefix for marketing because Samsung mobile probably trademarked it so other companies cant use it

just has the same kind of grey-looking screen when in a lit room
looks best in low light

>just has the same kind* of grey-looking screen when in a lit room
*as a crt

>bought LG IPS """""""""""HDR"""""""""" tv
>has noticeably brighter blacks than my moms budget vizeo 1080p VA panel
>even my samsung PLS monitor has better blacks
fucking kill me. I tried to get the samsung KS series but after I ordered it they fucking delivery people fucking lost it

whats the best style of screen that can actually be purchased

friend of mine recently got a 4k "hdr" lcd tv
it's dynamic backlight is really annoying in dark scenes, it adjusts the brightness in multiple vertical pillars

Probably OLED as far as only quality is concerned

Apparently OLED can't be used as monitor because of burn in.
The others, LCD, VA, TN, all have their pros and cons. VA typically has better contrast than the others along with pretty good colours, but I've read people suffering from ghosting in games, LCD has good colours, TN has the fastest response times and if you'd like to do gaming at 144Hz you'd probably want that. It really just depends on what you want to do with it.

AMOLED = !OLED
So AMOLED is the opposite of OLED?

yeah mine does the same shit. its horrible; I can only use it for HDR movies because it's more helpful with the contrast. It looks like dogshit in regular color space stuff

>does not equal = opposite

Until you get per-pixel backlight adjustment it's going to be super annoying in scenes with light and dark elements.

oled still gets burn in in this day and age? i suppose for my case va is the best, im guessing it gets 100% adobe?

a != x means a does not equal x
a =!x means a equals the negation of x

Will probably depend on the model and I think in general LCD has a bit better colours, but I don't know.
I have a VA that is true 8 bits, no dithering, and the colours are pretty good, though apparently the contrast isn't all that great for a VA, though still better than LCD or TN.

>contrastlet
VAs would be nice if they didn't shit on gamma and one or two other things you can read on the hard forum

>VA
>colour accuracy
lol

That model is actually already being sold. It was 7000e in my local electronics store.

ABOUT FUCKING TIME THEY DID THIS. I can't wait to upgrade.

>what is PS Vita?

As long as burn-in is a problem, OLED is not suitable for computer monitor use (taskbar, clock burn in).

Call me when they have SUPER-AMOLED 4k @144hz.

My old Microsoft Lumia has a dank OLED, and a superior OS. Eat a dick.

>OLED
Here's the next frame

you know crt's can burn in as well, and that people used them as computer monitors for decades, right?

this

i had screen burn in on an old dell monitor

Yes, which is quite arguably the one greatest advantage of LCD panels over CRTs.

>Dropped the OLED display in second generation
Shame, first gen is the only one worth buying.

I'd buy IPS just because the thing is cheap and lasts longer, and no burn in
I don't want to buy a new screen every year because I forgot to use a screensaver
Fuck contrast and black shit
I don't want to throw money away

My F8500 is still going strong enough, Plasmas are still amazing for sRGB 1080p content.

Don't disagree. Bought a low hour 151FD while I wait for OLEDs to drop in price a few months ago. Don't feel the need for 4k yet.

Even LCDs suffer from image persistence, though it's often not permanent. I have a HP ZR24w which is about 6 years old now, I use it as a portrait monitor for web browsing nowadays. All it does is display my browser 90% of the time and the UI on top, like the address bar and the bookmark bar have caused it to develop some persistence. It's very clearly visible, especially on grey backgrounds.

It's kind of fixable simply by displaying something else for a while, especially something with color flashing or movement, but if it's really bad it can take a very, very long time to remove completely, if that's even at all possible. I've had an entire week of different shit in that area at times and it still didn't clear up completely. Hell, some LCD monitors come with built-in features to remove image persistence, my Dell U2713HM has it.

>reason this tech folded is because it was shit
Legal killed it. Canon is a fuck to deal with even for sony.

Wrong kiddo.

>though it's often not permanent
It's virtually never permanent, which is quite significant. I too have some temporary persistence every now and then, but since it goes away, and particularly since it doesn't get worse and worse over time, I can get away with not caring about it.

Prices already went down. You can buy a 50" LG for less than $1200.

its not oled

>It's virtually never permanent, which is quite significant
Yes, but it can require a very long time to fix. As I've said I've tried to fix it for literally an entire week and it was not removed completely. I thought it was "good enough" and started using the browser again, within a few hours it was already much, much worse.

Even if it isn't theoretically permanent, in my case at least removing it completely and keeping it gone seems to be more than what I can practically do while still using the monitor normally. It's essentially permanent, I'm not going to give up on using the monitor to leave it flashing in red/green/blue for 2 weeks straight.

B6 panels aren't oled? I can't believe this story you're telling me. It's macabre.

>Yes, but it can require a very long time to fix.
The real point is that it doesn't get worse and worse over time. When I switched from CRT, I had used my current one for over five years, and the whole screen was a mess of differing amounts of burn-in. The same is starting to hold true for my OLED phone too. I've used my current IPS panel for over ten years, and while there is some temporary persistence when switching between workspaces, it doesn't get worse. (The CCD backlight is getting worse, though, but that's a separate issue, affects the entire screen area equally, and also much easier to replace.)

And screen savers will have a comeback.

I've missed screen savers.

>That looks super washed out

Because the photographer used on-camera flash the fucking retard.

Still shit latency?

Didn't plasma have this issue with blues, think they did fix it eventually (but died anyway, prob because of that myth)

Figured it died for a reason, if something was there, it would be a thing.

they got pretty good recently. sure as hell better than TN
almost near IPS on angles too

It's also blue with OLED.

With OLED I think they usually just double the size of the blue pixels so they can burn at 50% brightness which makes them last longer.

>screen burns
dropped

>The real point is that it doesn't get worse and worse over time
That's not true, it does get worse over time if you keep displaying the same image in the same part of the screen. The longer you do that, the longer it takes to fix too. LCDs don't really get any serious persistence in from normal use, my other 2 screens have none at all, since pretty much any normal workflow will involve some changes, home use where you would have a full-screen video or video game up from time to time essentially makes them immune to it, as far as I can tell.

It also depends on the image, as not everything seems to burn in, it looks to me like only certain high-contrast areas with no movement at all are prone to it, but if you do leave something like that up for very long time it does happen and it does get both more visible and harder to fix the longer you leave it up for.

In my case in particular it only happens on my 3rd, portrait monitor which is essentially a browser screen, the other 2 get at least occasional full-screen use and also see all kinds of software, so those are entirely fine.

are there no monitors where two displays are stacked on top of each other? LCD in front for colours and shit and white OLED behind it for adaptive uniform background lighting

VA is shit though. Viewing angles absolutely ruin them, and black level still isn't good enough for viewing at night with the lights off.

ayylmao

>$2700
>3 months of use before burn in
pass

This.
>dude hide the taskbar lmao
I still have to worry about HUD in muh games, potential burn in from video watermarks, static internet browser elements etc.
It's literally unusable for longer than 6-12 months.

You guys do realize that the burn-in isn't as it is with plasma right? Educate yourselves.

Will we get OLED laptops?

How do OLED phones screens avoid burn in? My phone has one that is nearly 5 years old. and I don't see any.

Like my '12 Samsung Galaxy SIII?

Closest thing is a FALD display, as far as I am aware.