/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Want help?:
>Assemble part list
pcpartpicker.com
>State the budget for your build (and country)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor res + refresh rate
>State your goal for build improvements: lower price? improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5's unless cheap. Consider waiting for Coffee Lake (1 month). 8700K is certain to be the fastest gaming CPU, will be competitive in productivity tasks vs 8-core Ryzen.
>G4560 - poverty builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good bridge between the 1500x and 1200, only get a 1400 if you really need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners increased prices, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Low end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Vega is shit

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS
Consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-HD3-rev-10#kf
au.pcpartpicker.com/user/DDDenshya/saved/ZdCm8d
deepcool.com/product/powersupply/2014-11/10_1444.shtml
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qHcNHN
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QQg2yf
caseking.de/en/amd-athlon-x4-950-3-5-ghz-bristol-ridge-sockel-am4-boxed-hpam-139.html
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/b3dsGf
amazon.com/gp/product/B005C8RTTU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
youtube.com/watch?v=LzIIIoSveU0
newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P8_3618486-_-08222017&Index=8
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202300
pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15?history_days=365
pcpartpicker.com/list/GrQtGf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thinking of getting an Asus ROG PG348Q. I really want a 1440p monitor of its size. Will I miss the 44 Hz difference though? Should I wait until 34'' 144 Hz comes out?

>>inb4 "you should get Acer Predator X34"

Any good 24" FullHD IPS monitor?

incase these anons missed their better build options

>retoasting my response

>Will I miss the 44 Hz difference though?
Honestly probably not. Unless you're super into Counter Strike or something like that it isn't that big a deal. You ask will you 'miss' it? Do you mean you've already got a 144Hz monitor? If so just set a custom resolution of 100Hz and find out.

t. own a 144Hz and 110Hz monitor, don't find there to be much of a difference worth losing sleep over

can I substitute the asus prime with this
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-HD3-rev-10#kf
picrelated is the current state of the build

>a better buy
>inb4 a bunch of tests assuming some non-realistic usage scenarios that justifies it performing slower in real world gaming and apps

I want to build a gaming PC that can play most games at high-ultra specs. My favorite games are Civilization type games and big open world ones like Skyrim. I want to play the new Star Wars Battlefront 2, the new Total War War-hammer coming out and the 2016 Doom game. I also want it to be able to run smoothly with a lot of Mods.

I also want it to run fast while doing general stuff like surfing the web, photo editing and downloading torrent files while running games at the same time.

I want to have duel screens as well. Maybe not included in the budget if that can make the PC better. If it's possible to have a build that doesn't have to have parts upgraded for a long time that would be nice.

Does any one have any suggestions?

>I also want it to run fast while doing general stuff like surfing the web, photo editing and downloading torrent files while running games at the same time.
This isn't really much of a multi-threaded scenario tbqh.

>If it's possible to have a build that doesn't have to have parts upgraded for a long time that would be nice.
I'd wait for 8700K in that case.

>Does any one have any suggestions?
Need a budget.

>Intel
>able to be upgraded for a long time
Bet you a hundred bucks that no CPU that comes out in 2019 will work on a motherboard that's compatible with the 8700k.

You're dumb if you think the 8700K isn't going to last, it's a Sandy Bridge-tier jump in performance, we're not going to get anything better for a good while.

Someone who is planning to keep their CPU for a 'long time' doesn't care that Intel changes their sockets and chipsets every other week.

Sup Forums , which 1070 should i get for 1080p ultra gayming?

>Sandy Bridge-tier jump in performance
Not. Even. Fucking. Close. The only real difference is two extra cores on i3/i5/i7.

>Someone who is planning to keep their CPU for a 'long time' doesn't care that Intel changes their sockets and chipsets every other week.
He didn't say that he wants to keep his CPU for a long time, he said he wants to be able to upgrade for a long time. Intel does not offer that, AMD does.

And if he DID want to keep the CPU for a long time, 1700 would still be better.

get a good power supply.

For me, it's McChicken!

>AMD does
>amd hasnt released a cpu series in over 4 years

>Not. Even. Fucking. Close. The only real difference is two extra cores on i3/i5/i7.
>50% more cores on i5/i7 isn't a big deal
>a 6-core 7700K isn't going to last
Ok kiddo.

>He didn't say that he wants to keep his CPU for a long time, he said he wants to be able to upgrade for a long time. Intel does not offer that, AMD does.
>If it's possible to have a build that doesn't have to have parts upgraded for a long time that would be nice.
Learn to read.

Guys, Threadripper or dual Xeon for 3dcg use?

>/pcbg/ tells me case fans don't matter
>put GPU under load, set 80% fan speed
>set my 5 case fans at 1100RPM
>leave for 20 minutes
>record max temp of 66C
>disable my roof fans, set my two intakes and one exhaust all to 500RPM
>leave for 20 minutes
>record max temp of 77C
Whoa...

as in more WATs? how much?

No, as in a better one. Watts isn't everything.
Get one from a good brand, and at the very least 80+ bronze certified.
You should also consider faster RAM, it helps a lot with Ryzen.

did you just wake up from a coma? you know what ryzen is?

I built this bad boy back in 2011 (only changed the GPU) but I fear it might die one day or another, so I was considering getting, or at least taking a look at the possible new mobo, CPU and RAM I could get if that happens.
What are some good options with a budget of 500€?

isn't 2400 the fastest ram?
I'll look for a certified 80%+ efficiency one.

3200 my boy

bought a replacement HD for laptop, and its double the height of the old one and only one of the screws connecting the metal case to to the laptop will fit. is ducktaping the other four corners down a bad idea?

>isn't 2400 the fastest ram?
For DDR4? 2400 is SLOW.

au.pcpartpicker.com/user/DDDenshya/saved/ZdCm8d
any tips on my hobo build?

I hadn't realized, maybe in a future upgrade.
is 80 plus bronze acceptable for a PSU?

>is 80 plus bronze acceptable for a PSU
Yep.

Wat PSU?

>is 80 plus bronze acceptable for a PSU?
If it's from a decent brand like EVGA or Seasonic.

deepcool.com/product/powersupply/2014-11/10_1444.shtml
is deep cool a meme brand?

Their coolers are pretty gut, dunno about psus

I'm not particularly familiar with Deepcool, and there appears to be no reputable reviews whatsoever for the DA series, so I'd stay away from it.

Anything Xeon is complete shit compared to Threadripper.

>not taking the side panel off

Doesn't the g4560 come with a cooler? I don't see a reason to get another one considering it's a locked processor.

Thanks, but I was only looking for CPU, mobo and RAM with a budget of 500€.

Sorry, if it's just mobo+cpu+RAM then consider this
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/qHcNHN

Thanks, I'll read a bit about all that since I don't know shit about AMD CPUs but that looks promising.

>parts arriving today

Post pics of the completed build, it's always nice to see.

Will a Ryzen 3 1200 be enough for a 1050ti and playing at 1080p? I want a 1300x but fuckers are impossible to find, the only one available is from a shady seller so I'd rather avoid it.

>Will a Ryzen 3 1200 be enough for a 1050ti and playing at 1080p
Yep.

Personally would just buy a used 3570K though for 1/3rd the price, desu.

I need some suggestions on what components to buy for an entry level photo/video/music production rig in Lightroom, Premiere and Ableton Live and some moderate gaming.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QQg2yf

I'm currently using a Thinkpad X230 as a desktop because the battery is so shitty so I might as well replace it with a desktop. I already have the GPU and PSU because I'm running an eGPU setup on the Thinkpad and I'm going to reuse the SSD I put in it.

I'm on a pretty tight budget though so I'm mainly wondering what CPU and RAM I should get. Right now I'm mostly concered with just getting better performance than what I have on my Thinkpad, so is there any point in getting the 1400 over the 1200 if you're going to overclock anyways? Or should I just get this and upgrade it later?

caseking.de/en/amd-athlon-x4-950-3-5-ghz-bristol-ridge-sockel-am4-boxed-hpam-139.html

And what RAM speeds should I be looking at? I want at least 16GB and I'm thinking about just getting 8GB now and 8GB later but I can't find any 1x8GB RAM at 2888 or 3000Mhz speeds. Will I really notice any difference in performance if I get something like 2400Mhz RAM now?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/b3dsGf

So the primary purpose is a workstation for myself, mainly dealing with DAWS and photo manipulation programs. However im also thinking of having a home server where ill probably be running a vm for other users (2 others, 3 including me) so that they dont have to have a computer there and only a monitor. Is such a think possible? apart from that im thinking of also having a file server run off it for everyone connected to my network. Also if latency isnt an issue ill probably keep it else away from my office and have it run remotely. Apart from that it will always be running an android emulator that any user can bring up (because i need certain things that are only available on android to be accessable to everyone, maybe if possible make it so when someone connects to my net theyre taken to a page hosted locally that allows them to see the android emulator and use it.)

also to add, cooling im thinking either the large noctua one when it comes out or a custom loop. the other thing i was thinking of was getting a h440 case but idk

So I've got a Phenom 965 paired with a dying Radeon 6870. I've got an RX 560 (2 GB) arriving tomorrow. Where am I going to be bottlenecked?

yes, you can overclock it very easily to get more performance than a 1300x too.

>Where am I going to be bottlenecked?
Everywhere. Assuming you're gaymen you won't be able to play any CPU intensive games at all.

>paired with a dying Radeon 6870
what colour?

Rate my build.. Copy from other thread

CPU: I7 7700k 4.2GHz
Mobo: ASRock H270 Performance
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 16GB 2,400MHz
GPU: GTX 1080 TI Strix
PSU Corsair HX 850I

First new build so go easy

Should I get a 1600X? Is it worth $90 when I'm probably going to upgrade again in early 2018 with the new generation. Someone recommend me a good PSU.

Thanks.

consider ryzen

get some faster ram and a cpu cooler. what case are you using?

get a 1600. and drop the aio.

>7700K AT STOCK CLOCKS
>CORSAIR PSU
>ASSCOCK ANYTHING

HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH

KILL YOU ARE SELF

Can't be bothered to look in the case, but this is what the stock picture from Amazon looks like.
Link: amazon.com/gp/product/B005C8RTTU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

>drop the aio
Why?

Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler

As for the case not 100% sure

Any recommendations for ram ?
or just buy more of what i already have ?

why do you have it?

Anyone? Is the 1400 worth getting over the 1200 for productivity use if you're going to overclock anyways? And is 2400Mhz RAM worth getting on Ryzen?

its aesthetic, will the stock cooler be enough?

Yes it's a good cooler. The days of the past where high performance cpus came with tiny propellers that idle them at 100c are over.

Ryzen doesn't really run very hot. The stock cooler isn't great, but it's sufficient even if you plan to OC.

>its aesthetic
fair enough then.
but yeah the stock is enough unless you want to do a massive oc, and even then you'll be stopped by stability before temperature becomes a big issue.

You guys just saved me a couple hundred bucks. I decided to go with the 1500X wraith spire and buy the kraken 2 when the next gen of CPUs come out.

>Is the 1400 worth getting over the 1200 for productivity use
yes
and yes faster ram is better. if you really can't find it (which is hard to believe) 2400 will do, but faster is better with ryzen.

I can't find RAM faster than 2400Mhz when buying 1x8GB, only when buying 2x8. I want 16GB RAM but I'm planning on buying 8GB first and add 8 more later to save some cash.

youtube.com/watch?v=LzIIIoSveU0

Does the 1600 wraith spire have LED like in this vid or is that only for the 1700 RGB version?

Only the 1700 version.

Fuck, that kind of sucks.

4x4

Don't do it, buy the 2x8 now. It will be cheaper in the long run and you can guarantee the two will work together with good stability.

THIS

Yeah, I'll probably do that and get the 1200 instead. I don't really see the point in getting the 1400, might as well wait until you can get the 1600 in that case.

Get the 1300X

no wonder. songle fan cards never last

FUCK YOU

>It will be cheaper in the long run
Eh... RAM prices are pretty high right now. So they'll probably come down sometime soon-ish. Probably.

Doesn't the motherboard you've chosen have 4 RAM slots? 2x4GB and then a second identical set should work fine, assuming 16GB will be enough for the foreseeable future.

Man I miss when RAM was dirt cheap, I remember buying 64 fucking GB of RAM in 2011 because 'why not?' it was like a hundred bucks more expensive than getting 16.

I think they have come down a little bit already
at least I see 3200mhz ripjaws go for a pretty good price

>So they'll probably come down sometime soon-ish. Probably.
Wouldn't count on it

Oh yeah, that seems like the best choice. Is there any difference between that and the 1200 aside from clock speed and automatic overclocking?

what?

its still basically $10/gb where i am. it never was much cheaper. it amazes me that certain things haven't changed at all price wise.

They're better binned(at least in theory), but all the R3s are pretty much bottom of the barrel anyway.

>obvious gaymin rig
>consider ryzen

I got 2x8 ddr4 3000 for $120 a month ago. How much could RAM possibly drop from there?

It's like driving across town to buy two cents cheaper gas. Don't be penny wise pound foolish.

newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P8_3618486-_-08222017&Index=8

the X chips will probably have a little more overclocking headroom
which is vital when you're already only working with four cores and no extra threading

You can't really go wrong with ryzen, you're always going to get value for money, but when that money goes down obviously the performance does as well so you have to carefully consider what your needs are and for how long they will be that way

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202300
>$690
>Radeon

>It's like driving across town to buy two cents cheaper gas
I do this because my closest one doesn't have pay at the pump tbqh.

>How much could RAM possibly drop from there?
Let's see... pcpartpicker.com/product/MYH48d/corsair-memory-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15?history_days=365
A year ago this particular kit was half the price it is today. So quite significantly, I would say.

I'm so ready for the rx480 apocalypse, either because mining melts down or because they swarm vega56 like a pack of rats. Gonna snag 2 to crossfire and replace my 970,

Never do this.

you live in the middle of fucking nowhere, brah

I'm getting the ASUS B-350 Plus and a Ryzen 1600, will buy a single 8 Gb 3000 G.Skill ram stick.

How fucked could I be?, can't find the stick in the mobos comp list and I'll probably not touch the PC for another 5 years or so.

yo

pcpartpicker.com/list/GrQtGf

tear me apart

about to build this next week

obviously price isnt accurate cause microcenter

Ill probably shave off a couple hundred