/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD245CD9640&cm_re=HD_600-_-9SIAD245CD9640-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is there any point to owning headphones other than HD600?

>Snap

The lord thy god in heaven hath given me his blessing to lead ye wretched sinners away from the ignorant lies and injustice of these cursed blasphemers so that you need not languish in torment for hearing the foul cacophanies of your heathen 'phones.

I'm here to tell you boys that the way out of the bottle is clear, and that the true path into righteousness and eternal life points to itself. And that truth, o' my blessed brothers, is the Sennheiser HD600. Now go, go and thank the mighty father who sheds the blood of his only son that you might be shown his mercy for gifting thee with such a majestic and awesome way to receive his rapture.

Being 2017, which DJing headphone would you guys recommend if i have a budget up to u$s150? I like the sound to be as flat as possible for obvious reasons but its not a limiting factor. Im from Argentina, they will be plugged into mixers mainly. Thanks in advance guys.

ZS5's with comply ear tips any good? Will purchase the bluetooth cable if supposedly audio quality is better.

cheers

Got me my SHP9500 today and bloody fucking love these things I swear.

Thank you anons for recommending these to me, better than anything I bought before.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Are the V-MODA Crossfade a meme? They look like retarded gaymer headphones but the sound seems to be good.

I want to replace my meeaudio m6 pros what are my options
Fuck your template kthbxbai

>I want you guys to help me, but I'm not willing to fill out the form to help you guys help me

Oh, okay, bye

What's the second best headphone behind the HD600?

I appreciate you starting /hpg/ the correct way, with anime girls, but try to use higher quality artwork next time.

Etymotic ER4

I didn't notice until you pointed it out but that is pretty dire

But HD600 is the second best headphone behind HD650.

Andromeda

Pic + timestamp

They aren't portable. My PM3s are very good for work.

Thanks for the (You)easily the most triggered thread on Sup Forums

Beyerdynamic DT990, Hifiman HE-4xx/HE-400i/HE-400s, Monoprice M1060, Audio Technica ATH-AD900x

You don't have money for ER4 or what?

>being a fundlet

How many pictures of anime girls with a question mark do you have exactly?

That's what you consider triggered? Damn, you must be quite a faggot.

Thanks, user!

Hello hpg, I am looking for a DAC to power my X2s, could you help me find one?
Budget: $300-350
>Source: The DAC
>Type of Headphone Driven: The Fidelio X2s
I also would like to know if this could drive a microphone as well, as that would be a plus. Or would i drive that through a pre-amp, or other device? Thank you!

>I also would like to know if this could drive a microphone as well
DAC's don't power microphones, phantom power does. You might also be thinking of an ADC. You might also want to look into studies of blind tests done between dacs and then see how you feel.

Your budget is insane high, overkill for X2, and would better afford you new headphones like the HD600.
Anyway, I understand you have no DAC/AMP right now, and I suggest Schiit Fulla 2 ($99).
That's a usb2 DAC+Amp, and it's overkill for the X2 already: Possibly all you're going to ever need.
>DAC to power
That's the amp's job.

i feel like Sup Forums would just laugh at me or not be helpful at all

how does /hpg/ decide from which album or collection to download their tracks from? Heck, how do you even pick between different issues of an album? I have limited bandwidth every month

>retarded gaymer headphones but the sound seems to be good.
I mean, they sound good if you enjoy bass. Build is nice, cables are nice, case is good. It does have a gaymer look though

>FLAC
WHY

>which album or collection to download their tracks
Download the full albums. Prefer original releases, accept remasters only if the audio quality wasn't compromised or it has some sweet bonus tracks you can store in another folder.

get 320k mp3 from soulseek retard

so i dont have to worry about rotational velocidensity. I like the idea of archival quality music even if i'll convert it to mp3 on my phone.

i also need a way to fill up my 128gb sd card..

I used to think this, but then i realized that there is literally no circumstance that I would need an album in flac rather than MP3
It's just a massive waste of space and time, and possibly quality if you don't reencode it properly

I usually just buy the CDs and rip them myself.

>I like the idea of archival quality music even if i'll convert it to mp3 on my phone.
At least use OPUS, you brute.

Since almost everyone seems to hate SH. What headphones should I buy for videogames. I don't ever talk so I don't give a shit about mics. Just some headphones with good quality for positional audio and immersion. Budget is around $200

"SH"? What?

>almost everyone seems to hate SH
Only the people who haven't tested enough headphones actually hate a brand, most brands produce both good and bad headphones.
But in you canse in particular i'd go with AD900X, very good positional accuracy and soundstage, very comfortable.

idol trash suggests taiko no tatsujin ds.

>he actually bought massdrop headphones

>HD 600
>Having any bass at all

HD600 > HD579 > HD558

Sorry for my mistake, can you reccomend any others beside the Schiit Fulla 2? The budget is so high to acommodate future headphones as well.

NFB-11.28

You don't need an amp for the X2, though. Buying new headphones first would probably be a better idea, but it's up to you.

SHP 9500 or any of the audio technica AIR series. Spend any leftover money on a dac/amp if you don't have one.

>Not buying assdrop headphones
Shiggy

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190
>WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including one or more listed chemicals which are known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

schiit modi+magni
schiit jotunheim

>Falling for California's bullshit
That's not the only thing that can cause cancer :^)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD245CD9640&cm_re=HD_600-_-9SIAD245CD9640-_-Product

>320K MP3
BLOAT
192K Opus is the sweet spot.

turns out eating headphones isn't so healthy for the human body

who would have thought?

I just sold my used for HD 598 for $80. Did I get ripped off or nah?

Also I kissed them on the headband and whispered a teary goodbye to them as I placed them in bubble wrap, am I autistic?

>NFB-11.28
stop memeing please

Air series. SHP9500. Fidelio x2. K712

>if you don't use Schiit you're an audiophool XD
jesus the shills are well planted here

Have to much money? Buy a Razer kraken!

Schiit fanboys are just as big audiophools as anyone else. The only company that's consistent with science and ethically informs their consumers about the truth is JDSLabs.

Is schiit a good company to buy audio equipment from? If so, should I get the Fulla 2 or the Stack?

Excuse me?

>tfw I just bought a pair of used 598's for $80.

L500, L700, or 007a?

>source

SRM-323s

>current hp

SR-307

Not really, they're powerful as fuck but generally harsh like grating steel but everyone here will tell you otherwise. Just get em or do your own research.

If you have to get something, get the Fulla. The Magni is a meme.

Go away NwAvGuy.

That's a pretty standard price for used 598's.

Go away Coconut Audio.

You wouldn't happen to be able to recommend a dac would you?

What about Lake people/Violectric? They'd be my first choice if I were using dynamic.

Their gear measures well but will not produce an audible difference. They cater to audiophools as well.

>Lake G103-S
>$315

Yeah I'm not seeing the audiophoolery.

Like Schiit, they have cheaper stuff that seems to perform well. However, that doesn't mean they don't cater to audiophools.

I wouldn't call myself a fanboy of the company, but one of the founders of schiit worked for sae, sumo, and created the gas ampzilla. Those 3 companies are extremely anti-snakeoil and those amps are absolutely indestructible. They were one of the few brands that could drive apogee divas (speakers that dropped into 0.25 ohm and never went past 3 ohms) without shitting the bed.

I've also noticed that while schiit offers some products that may not have improved sound quality over baseline offerings, they're pretty explicit when mentioning that it may not make any difference in their descriptions. They're fairly transparent about the circuit designs too.

I'd hardly call them a snake oil company considering their business philosophy and pedigree.

can someone tell me how FR graphs deal with the fact that measurement equipment has its own FR? doesn't this create and endless loop of calibration equipment?

Personally I think amps change sound a bit but DACs hardly make a difference. Maybe a $9000 DAC really does sound different, but who fucking cares.

Just pick up whatever, I think the Modi 2 is a fine DAC. Worry more about your amplifier and headphones.

They sell snake oil. Whether or not they label it as such is a different story.

Who meets your standard? FiiO?

It is factitious to say Lake cater to audiophools when their model descriptions contain no subjective material at all.

"When we say “this is the only headphone amp you may ever need,” we mean it. Magni 2 builds on the performance of Magni, with even more refined sound and versatility, while Magni 2 Uber is now a complete desktop control center with preamp capability and even more power."

Fiio caters to audiophools as well, with their pushing of the balanced meme. Even if they label their snake oil as such, they're still selling snake oil.
They sell snake oil. Even if they label their snake oil as such, they're still selling snake oil.

Exactly. You can't even say their higher end offerings are snake oil, they're just over-engineered (multibit dacs and microprocessor controlled integrated amps).

>But I heard from an anonymous dude on the intarwebs all DACs sound the same! You’re bullshitting us!
>If it’s your experience that all DACs sound the same, that’s cool. There’s a DAC in your iPhone or Android phone, so you can use that one and save some cash.
It's funny because your favorite company disagrees with you.

There's a difference between over engineered and snake oil.

If there is no audible difference, and people are buying it under the pretense that there is, then it is snake oil.
Schiit do this sort of strange acknowledgement that they're selling overpriced shit to gullible retards, but in the end, they still do that.

Yeah, companies you like make overengineered products and companies you don't make snail oil.

Aren't you also under the pretense that literally every amp more expensive than the Magni sounds equal or worse?

Doesn't have to be a Magni. Can be an O2 or something else that measures audibly transparent. Cost has nothing to do with it - measurements do.

Anons would the ATH-M40x be a good set of cans for my phone and laptop both at home and the gym?

You think the O2 is perfectly engineered?

I think it's engineered well enough that the human ear is unable to sense the flaws.

you're totally missing the point.
>Mark Levinson
>Krell
>Benchmark
>Atma-sphere
>Bryson

What do these companies have in common? They create products that objectively perform better than almost anything else but whether that's audible or not is up to question because our ears aren't accurate enough to discern it. That being said, these products aren't snakoil examples because on an engineering level they offer superior performance and reliability.
Snake oil examples:
>audioquest
>Kimber
>Monster cables
>Bybee

These companies are snake oil because they offer products that offer little/no measurable difference compared to standard equivalents and sell them at a premium under the notion that they'll make a huge difference in your setup.

So am I a fool to get the magni 2/modi 2 uber?

No. They're excellent for the cost.
Uber versions are good if you'll need the features.

Yeah, for $300 you can choose from a host of other, better amp/DAC combinations, especially Chinese gear.

>phone and laptop
Sure, as long as you don't mind slightly colored sound (emphasis on bass) and average comfort

>wearing headphones at the gym
nah

>chick
>better
:D

>especially Chinese gear

So what would be the best overear headphone for the gym? If i need a seperate can if the need is so