/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/BsZoAD4PnWA

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE (embed)

Previous thread:

Holy shit, can you fucking reduce the exposure before posting pictures? My retinas just caught fire.

first for omega is not a swatch

is that a modded invicta or what?

4th for post your EDC with watch

i don't know why i responded to your post

yes

how did I do guys?

On a technicality, this qualifies.

bait/10

garbage
it does!

Seiko 7002-700A and Omega Seamaster lume.

Post lume

Honestly it's a fine watch other than the big "BOSS BY HUGO BOSS FOR HUGO BOSS" on the face. Also I hope you didn't pay over like $75 for the thing.

yeah it is, i've been collecting watches for a few years now and one of my friends texts me and says: "I bought a watch!"

I'm excited to see it, when he showed up it turned out to be a fashion watch shitter quartz from Hugo Boss. He was excited about it and just dropped like $300(LOL) so I didn't say anything but damn....

>$300
>on a fashion quartz shitter
Fuck me dead.

>$300
Fucking RIP. I guess a sucker really is born every minute.

If you have any interest in bladed things, check out that picture full size. You might find it interesting.

yeah i was cringing but I didn't want to say anything bad about it LMAO.

What to know the worst part? His father owns a $135,000 PP Tourbillion, actually wanted to KMS

cringe in and of itself but whatever, I have no IRL friends who are into horology or watches

hnnnnnng

>warranty card in EDC

:'D

just got dunked on by KOBE STYLE

What happened to Seiko Solar shitposter? Now that he's gone I sort of miss him, TUG shitposter kinda fills the gap, I guess

Can you honestly explain why you need to carry around a passport, an expired passport, and your watch's warranty card with you everywhere you go? Do you not carry any money around? Are you an expat, is that why you need your passport every day but not a driver's license? But on the other hand, you're probably not casually walking around with a gun if you live anywhere but the US. Is there some sort of logic to it or am I just being baited?

Do you go to /p/?

Be nice user, his photo isn't bad enough to be from /p/ and he obviously had to leave his basement and make eye contact with humans to take it.

>am I just being baited?
Yes.

So guys, I would like your help with choosing a watch.
Pretty sure that there won't be any watch ticking all the boxes but here are my preferences:

>600-1400 usd
>automatic
>swiss
>display back with a nice rotor
>could be used
>must not be a dress watch
>must not be diver
>not many complications
>day at 3 o'clock
>chrono is ok
>possibly tactical looking OR gold+white dial
>no vintage
>must last me 40 years

Any ideas ?

I posted this in the other thread, but I still would really like some criticism. Please, anyone, tell me what's horrible about this watch. MSRP is $220 and I got it for $40 new.

MSRPs are bullshit, but $40 isn't a bad price.

any oris or tudor shitter

yeah, i think so too. im mostly looking for people to point out problems with it so i can know if i'm gonna be judged hard by people who also like watches and to influence my future watch purchases. so what about you? if you had this watch yourself, what would you hate about it? let's exclude the band since that's replaceable

>tfw you'll never get a watch as brutally practical as this

>tudor

I wish they made more than one model with display back, and it's a bit over the price range.

>oris

It's a valid option but haven't yet saw one that I liked

Speak for yourself.

look, either raise your budget or lower your terms.
>40 year lifespan
>swiss meme
>600-1400
>exhibition case back
>mechanical
>not a diver or dress watch
at this point a flieger is the only choice

>7 paragraphs
>practical

I was aware that not all of my terms are going to fulfilled, but how I am looking at certain tag heuers (used zeniths as well) and maurice lacroix watches right now plus there are omegas too. It's a matter of time until I find one that I like.
Is there something about these brands that makes /wt/ ignore them ?

Useful reminder that Ronald Barnard in his previous life was an horology fag, like most in those circles.

>taghuehue
utter dogshit
>zenith
if you have service money
>maurice lacrosse
absolute dogshit
>omega
if you REALLY want to

What these brands all have in common is that they're either overpriced shitters or used to be good but are now overpriced shitters

> tag heuer
Overpriced for the quality of movement, everyone is bitter they bought heuer and sent their designs into the toilet, huge marketing brand with lots of celebrity tie-in. Some of their high complication stuff is cool though and they did lead somebody from the Stern family I believe to predict the end of high swiss watchmaking when they released a 30k tourbillon.

> zenith
Vintage very good, modern still good, though their modern pieces are large and some have some very poor design decisions.

> maurice lacroix
made up brand with a made up name, kind of the same problems a lot of midrange swiss has - movements that belong in a 400-600 dollar watch being sold for several times that, without any particularly good case finishing to justify it. Like, at least IWC actually has well-finished cases (though I may not care for the style myself); ML has nothing.

stop being so paranoid, your watch is fine and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!

Seems like you actually know things.
What would you advise for this

>doesn't matter what anyone else thinks
ok then ill go buy a nomos or a hugo boss or a daniel wellington or a mvmt or a

Judge what? It's a boring $40 seiko, there's little to think about other than it's not a le minmal shitter.

For the user who's into catalogs
> Post your libraries

Lawyer user what is the most recent addition to your collection? Do you own any habrings?

those fucks at omega never sent me my catalog.

Post some pics of that Journe book, my dude.

>three years at a time
So you are part of a PSD for a US ambassador somewhere in Europe? Guessing you mainly just sit at a desk in the embassy 90% of the time.

user, email me your address with a screenshot of your (You) and next time I'm at Omega I'll ask them if they can send you one

not talking about it any more

derp nycddancer @ gmail

I don't usually like the gold color on a watch unless it's actual gold, but that's just me. It doesn't have sapphire crystal but no one expects that for $40. Also it's quartz, which I don't mind honestly, but that's still a downfall. Last thing I don't like is the lack of lume, but again that's a personal preference.

reposting cause he deleted it LOL

Is that the running seconds as a rotating subdial? Neat.

RIP

I enjoy my Samsung Frontier S3

thanks. i feel the same about everything you said.

9/17

10/17

11/17

12/17

13/17

14/17

15/17

What's a good watch to buy to make me forget about her?

16/17

17/17

Holy shit, OP, this guy's worse than Buzz Killington...

Can anyone recommend me a watch that won't break my bank (

I know you said Swiss, but have you considered the Max Bill? The Chronoscope is just out of you price range new, but the regular auto is about $900.

for reference my last daily driver was pic related, the alpha homage

>reviews about a watch are all praise, except for the bracelet, which feels cheap because it's folded links
>watch arrives
>the bracelet is solid links

who /blessed/ here?

>Elegante has a fully lumed dial
Neat. Thanks for the pics m8.

If you want a diver, then the Seiko SRP775 or SKX007 is the obvious choice; you could even get a orange 3rd party bezel for it if you still want that Planet Ocean look.
Other choice would probably be something like a Parnis or Bagelmeme if you want a """homage""".

Damn that pic related is nice, I'm open to getting a different style

Meant to say the SRP777, but really any of that line would do.

he took the picture that way so nobody would notice his fatass hand

What would you guys recommend if I wanted a serious, high quality, chinese watch?

Find someone willing to sell you their celadon imperial.

> Watch doesn't work
> Sold as is
> From Yahoo JP, no buyer protection
Reseat the battery, 36,000 vph

why are chronographs considered a bit dressier than divers (even if the difference is marginal)?

it seems that because chronos tend to have more complications, it would follow that they would be closer to a tool watch than would a diver

i) Divers often need a bigger case and rotating bezel
ii) Chronos can be placed in stylish non water-proff cases
iii) Dressier watches tend to be more expensive because most of them are made in precious metals
iv) Chronos are more difficult to make thus, more expensive too

what watch?

SSB031. It's the first Seiko I've owned, the first quartz (well, mecaquartz) watch I've owned (barring digital Casios and the like), and my first chronograph. Pretty happy for $120 shipped.

Rate plz?

costco tier/10

>Taking watch advice from a bin man