/tpg/: ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Thinkpad Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD5864327&cm_re=x250-_-9SIA1ZD5864327-_-Product
youtube.com/watch?v=IOUyhqnaGcU
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just bought this, have an SSD at home. Will put in another 8GB. Got it from the outlet

>Is there any hope for Raven Ridge thinkpads?
sure, they will replace current Ideapads.

at least set proper thresholds

hey guys I just got a T520, should I put windows 10 on it or the iphone operating system?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1ZD5864327&cm_re=x250-_-9SIA1ZD5864327-_-Product

How do I know if the bios on these is locked down? Has anyone bought an x250 from newegg?

Probably not fixable but is it possible to repair that smudge on the pad?

have you tried vigorously massaging it with rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth? or is it polished and not smudged?

Polished.
If not repairable, can it be replaced?

Windws 8.1 just werks

ask them

can this run overwatch?

HD 4000 stronk.

yes
just pull it out

I believe those are just stickers over the touchpad and you can replace them. youtube.com/watch?v=IOUyhqnaGcU

go away kid

yes 144 fps at max settings with its 144hz gsync monitor.

Did the namefag tranny finally leave?

9front

got deported

What's a very cheap ok ThinkPad?

T42

T43

T44

Was thinking of getting one of these just to mess with linux, are there any that are relatively cheap and can stream 1080p video?

colt 45

to the head

I'll go with this one.
Thanks.

W520

well first you'll need to find one with a 1080p screen or upgrade to one yourself.

I think I'll sleep after that one.

he's right tho

touchpads are for faggot appletards and thinkpads should've been trackpoint only like the x61

>Purchase request template:
Budget: 250 clams
Size: big pls
Performance: I have a phenom II x4 3.2ghz desktop, itd be nice to match that.
Other requirements: just mpv, ssh & prgramming. Maybe some minecraft. Nice screen or one to upgrade to later.

say no more lad, T520 is your thing

+ a couple of bucks to upgrade processor and display if you desire

Does Sup Forums recommend buying from Amazon, Newegg, etc?

Hah just checked ebay for t520's and youre right. ohhh cant wait to get comfy with one. Much appreciated

why not?

get one with a 2720qm/2760qm/2820qm or buy the processor cheap from ebay and upgrade it yourself, that processor should be equal or better than your phenom II.

also go full meme and max it with 3 drives, 1080p display, 16gb ram, docking station and 9cell battery

My t530 with a t410 keyboard and genuine 9 cell battery is pretty comfy. It even lasts around 6 hours with medium usage.

Might to take your advice user. A used i7 2760qm - $150, t520 "for parts" 100 = on budget. nice

Looks nice, I might just go with this one since there's a few really cheap up right now.

Replacing the screen isn't an issue, I've done that with other laptops before.

>used i7 2760qm - $150
Sounds a bit expensive, that's what the 4800mq i am looking for my memepad is priced at. I remember getting a 2720qm on ebay for $40 or so last year.

Too expensive imo

Dual boot Win 7 Ultimate and Linux Mint.

What are some lightweight OSs to install on the older models? Anything better than 32-bit Gentoo?

Is a x220 keyboard on a x230 a good upgrade or just a meme?
What about FHD screen mod, with a 12.5" or should i start hacking away at the bezel and stick a 13.3" on it?

Damn. That seems kind of cheap. Is there a catch?

I'm a normie, but I like Lubuntu.

The X220 keyboard is a lot better imo, but don't forget you'll need to get an X220 palm rest too.

I think you may have misunderstood me when I said older models.

Yeah thats what i think also, the keyboard looks a lot nicer and and i think feels a bit better also.
I can even get both palm rest and the keyboard easily so its not a problem.

Anyone got any experience with the nitrocaster FHD mod?

Lubuntu is perfectly fine for older models

My T60 is struggling with Manjaro

Nope, sorry. Where are you getting the palm rest btw?

Manjaro is massive bloat compared to Lubuntu

i spilled rubbing alcool on my t440s keyboard and it's not working anymore
moving the ribbon cable while in place sometimes makes the keyboard functioning again but only if i keep it still
is my connector fucked?

T520 or X220 for streaming and shitposting?

Some businesses still run 16bit applications

Puppy Linux.

Well, did it work?

T520

W520

I got this older toughbook and our IT guy said Panasonic has blocked installing software from external device, how do I bypass this?
Problem is it takes forever to order new testers and mine runs XP which doesn't work with new ODIS.
Either I install W10 myself or wait +1 year to get new tester.

download w10 iso
mount it
click setup.exe
??
profit

From work, so i got access to all kinds of thinkpad goodies.

It's not connected to internet.
I can't download it at home either because I'm not admin.
I guess I should pressure more our IT guy to install it.

open it up
take drive out
copy w10 iso
put drive in

Amazing gift. I am jealous

My t410 is really slow with booting, opening programs doing anything really

any tips?

install a normal OS

define normal

ubuntu

Do a clean install and if it persists then consider changing HDD/SSD. Failing HDD can become sluggish and an SSD nearing it's total writes will become sluggish as well. Use crystaldiskinfo to check.

Fuck off fag even a T430 runs overwatch

ubuntu .. normal?

do you know a crystaldiskinfo alternative for linux?

I finished installing my t430 with the classic keyboard.
What should I do with the old chiclet shit keyboard, just throw it in the trash?

unless you have a shitton of cash for keyboards I would keep it around as backup

How okay?
I'd say x200

If you're too spastic hold a screwdriver and clean everything yourself or you desperately need something that's been "refurbished" and not just bought used then sure go for it

Otherwise Lenovo has service manuals and all it takes is a philips screwdriver to tear the thing down. I personally use only my Leatherman when I need to break it down outside

Fake. Where's the Seppuku part?

Dude it's just says think about suicide in jap

sell it and get a msata ssd

excrete more oil onto it instead of trying to remove oil

X220
It's light and the keyboard is full size

Yeah so where's the Seppuku?

Nigga seppuku doesn't mean consider suicide

When I buy a genuine battery like this, it's not gonna have the full battery life of 94 which will it? If it is significantly less should I just dispute it with the seller?

Okay dudes. Which one:
W550s (15" 2880 x 1620 screen, W7, 8GB ram 500GB/7200rpm, NVIDIA - Quadro K620 2GB, Intel Core i7-5600U) or Dell Latitude E5470 (14" FHD, Intel Core i7-6600U, Ram 8GB, HDD 500 GB/7200rpm, W7+10P, LTE, AMD Radeon R7 M360, 2GB) or Dell Latitude E5570 (15" FHD screenIntel Core , Ram 8GB, HDD 500 GB/7200rpm, W7, AMD Radeon R7 M360, 2GB)?

I'll do this.

Does anyone know how this affects drainholes?

Can someone tell me what DVD+ / -RW SuperMulti DL means? What does it support/ what can it burn

>If it is significantly less should I just dispute it with the seller
They're not going to do shit, look at the top left hand corner of the battery pack.

Are faggots at Lenovo no longer producing the model 61 24mah batteries for the t470? (the one that does not protude from the chassis)

Where can I order one in Europe? Possibly not some chink clone that blows up in my face.

You are mentally retarded.

is not wrong, you know.

You -can-, it's just there's better offerings to be had on ebay, and sometimes even locally.

Midwest USA, found a T410 for $30 and snatched it right up. Doubled the capacity with a $100 SSD and bam, solid browser box.

Having a touchpad, no matter how small is better than not having one. Something like the X201's. To call having a touchpad on a laptop 'appletard' is a bit fucking dumb.

The laptop in question did not need a touchpad, as the entire screen was a touchscreen. Appletards who fawn over their massive touchpads do not realize the glory of a trackpoint.

t. appletard

Really? I assumed an arch-based distro advertised as lightweight wouldn't have this problem.

Wipe the SSD, reinstall. Clean out dust, reapply thermal paste.

No.

The T4X series is unlikely to be powerful enough for even light browsing. I'm a big proponent of the T410 because i owned one and the extra vertical real estate from the 16x10 display (normally 1440x900) is very nice. Only problem is that there aren't any 1920x1200 IPS displays on the market right now.

I've always percieved Manjaro as extremely demanding. A fresh install on my X230 needs 1.5GB RAM in idle and keeps my CPU at 10% without any programs open.