Are high refresh rate monitors worth it?

Are high refresh rate monitors worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

nikem-bg.net/computer-components/Iiyama-24-A-MVA-4ms-ProLite-XB2483HSU-B2/description.html
github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No

yes

Yeah, but anything over 144hz is meme territory

Technically anything over 75 isn't interally necessary. But you want 144hz to reduce scren tearing to none

No
TN is garbage and high refresh IPS monitors are overpriced

Yes
They are almost a necessity if you want to play at a competitive level in fast paced games and the reduced screen tearing in other games without using laggy AF vsync is worth it by itself.

120hz ulmb/strobing backlights is the best you can get, the difference is night and day

>night and day during an imperceptible frame of time

testufo.com

enjoy your blur

>struggling to get back to CRT quality
>end up with overpriced garbage
we really are an ass-backwards species

>Horizontal sync 30 - 80 KHz
>Vertical sync 55 - 75 Hz
can this do 75?

nikem-bg.net/computer-components/Iiyama-24-A-MVA-4ms-ProLite-XB2483HSU-B2/description.html
>200euro

The only problem I have with ULMB is that it feels like it's constantly turning itself off. A lot of games which I launch cause it to be disabled immediately, which fucks up my colors, which causes me to reenable ULMB, etc.

use this github.com/Codeusa/Borderless-Gaming

ulmb turns itself off in some (many) fullscreen exclusive games, this prevents that from happening.

Sweet, I'll give it a try

for competitive fast paced gaming, absolutely
I'm 100% certain this is why pc's shred on consoles for gaming

You get a pc player on a console and he'll feel like theres input lag or the game is just somehow slower and you have to compensate by reacting differently

wtf i'm pretty sure the ISS has lower communication lag with earth than my ps4 controller does with my tv display

going from 60hz to 120hz is like going from 30fps to 60fps all over again

>high definition CRT with a 24 inch 16:9 screen is literally the size and weight of a desk, consumes +150W at the wall, despite autistic cries to the contrary doesnt actually have better color contrast, brightness, or sharpness compared to modern LCD technology
>high definition LCD panel with a 24 inch 16:9 screen is an inch or so thick,

Probably but it may be at a smaller resolution though. They usually have to tell you the max refresh rate that you can do without overclocking or reducing the resolution

>at a smaller resolution
oh yea i think you're right
any idea if it works with wine or linux in general too? i havent used desktop with linux

also transporting cost

think how many crts you can fit in a container, and how many lcds

>windows vsync
Yuck no thanks. Plus ulmb isnt that special especially if the game fluctuates to much. I aint getting it if im playing h1z1 or pubg

There should be an option to overclock or up the refresh rate. But for overcloking its gonna be a pain probably with wine

Technically crts have a better contrast as long as their is no light source. But they also have the benefit of scaling back the resolution for a higher refresh rate. And without the shittness of a lowet resolution

what about lcd/led panels that "simulate" 120/144 hz? ie, they dont actually run at those clock cycles but achieve that via gimmicks and hacks

Linux: No
Windows: Yes

Most DE's "support" high refresh rates but YMMV. Browser support is limited to Firefox and friends, Chromium and friends is broken at >60Hz on Linux. Be prepared to spend a lot of time configuring X and youcompositing settings either way.

Windows is a different story. Everything feels hella smooth, Firefox and Chrome will work fine (not Edge/IE), and of course games will feel amazing if you have the hardware.

There are two main types of tricks TV's use, interpolation and black frame insertion. Interpolation is garbage, especially for games, avoid. Black frame insertion is actually cool, it's where there's a black frame inserted (obviously) in between each frame to simulate the strobing of a CRT, which is useful for emulation. MAME and some other emulators already have it built in.

What is the best 2K 144Hz monitor right now? I keep seeing fanboys fighting over Acer and Asus, but is there any non biased relevant source showing one is better than the other?

For gaming yes

144hz is all you need

ASUS PG278QR

You can overclock it to 165Hz

Shit, not available in my country. Is the technology perfected now or am I taking a gamble and risking getting a monitor with dead pixels?

yes for gaming , no if you want good quality of IMAGE , cause usally high refresh rate panels are TN , and IPS still cost A LOT !