Aside from the goofy name, is there anything actually wrong with Ubuntu?

Aside from the goofy name, is there anything actually wrong with Ubuntu?

Other urls found in this thread:

derpibooru.org/98405
ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nope, I prefer Mint for an actual OS for human beings.

Not after they got rid of Unity

Ubuntu is the only GNU+Linux distro I've used that has broken from a routine update.
I used Arch for probably 3 years or so, mostly with KDE4.
I hated gnome2, and kubuntu is the shittiest implementation of KDE I've tried. Knoppix is kind of a mess, but it works.
Sabayon was the nicest and fastest KDE5 distro I tried, better than Neon.

Amazon partnership.

Entry level distro with too much bloat.

Ubuntu is fine. I would recommend Debian these days though.
Mint is actually far worse but don't take my word for it.
Just read about how the devs have made shit decision after shit decision.

well it has systemd which is technically a flaw, but shouldnt bother the users its targeted to
you can install base ubuntu with no bloat, and something being entry level is fine

unity
everything else in fine

the netinstall is pretty comfy

this

this

thhis

this

>muh sysvinit
>muh minimalism

Corporate sponsorship. Trying too hard. Bastardizing itself from Debian. Lack of vision and or poor taste and judgement.

Same shit that brought us Unity.

Either you are a troll or you will explain in great detail what exactly is wrong with systemd besides that you may be an old faggot that doesn't understand change like typing the daemon name after the verb.

By netinstall do you mean base system without the eggstras?

Kill yourself ban-evading Argentinian (Barneyfag)
derpibooru.org/98405

I have a tri-boot of windows 10 for games, ubuntu for actual work, and kali for pentesting/programming

ubuntu is by far the best for general use.

Newfa/g/ here, why
> windows 10
for games? I heard people that don't have way more ram and cpu to dedicate to gaming

he prolly means this

ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads
>Network installer

you'll have a working base system in minutes
>skip last step of installer (don't select additional pkg groups)
reboot and install what you want, for example:
apt install i3 lxappearance pcmanfm arc-theme breeze-icon-theme

>ib4 ubanto autistic screeching
/ ~1gb; ram usage less than 100mb

I basically want something like this, but for Wayland. I notice you didn't include xorg, is that because it gets pulled in automatically?

Do not use mint it is insecure and not professional.
It should not be considered a viable distro.

yes it should get pulled and afaik apt pulls a bunch of other not really needed "recommended" stuff by default

my exp with wayland is that atm it's only usable with gnome
you could use weston (which is very nice, really) but it might crash/throw you out to tty and it also has a panel but no window/tasks in it so it's kinda a pain to use
sway is not really ready as well
not sure if enlightement is stable as gnome, it may be but then again you'll use gtk3 in E with ends up looking weird

so i decided to stick with i3/xorg since it werks and logind makes it run as non root, if only gnome didnt use so much ram but i suppose impossiburu

Fucking kys

GNU/Linux is an ethical and free (as in free speech) operating system. Ubuntu, on the other hand, is a Linux distro that betrays that by using telemetry and spyware (that is now turned off by default) and making it very easy to install non-free software that can be potentially harmful to your freedom and a right for privacy. I still don't understand why Canonical is forgiven for the shit they've done with Amazon.
But all RMS and Snowden things aside, Ubuntu is just not that great of a system. It can't offer neither bleeding edge packages, neither a stability (getting to Fedora levels lately). But it has a one-click installer and because Canonical sold their souls to Microsoft - it's the only distro (plus Fedora) that your computer doesn't see as a virus. Also, if you retarded enough, you can easily install something like Steam with all it's bundeled spyware, DRM and anti-consumer practices.

How do you add custom launchers to cinnamon? On xfce I just right click and edit apps, or right click on an open app and pin it. How do I do this with cinnamon for a linux executable file? Since firefox nightly is distributed as pre-installed so it doesn't appear automatically in the software menu. I swear the only reason GNOME DEs are shit is because they lack such basic functionality.

It's got systemd.

>implying sysvinit is the only alternative
>implyig it's about minimalism
>what is openrc, runit or upstart
systemd is poetterware. Poettering and his gang are generally considered incompetent and are often telling people to create a workaround for a bug they introduced and that breaks compatibility with a different piece of software. The most notable example being systemd picking up the "debug" flag from the kernel cmdline, which causes it to spew a ton of bullshit to the point where it prevents system boot. Kay Sievers marked this as a wontfix despite easily implementable patch recommendations like changing it to "systemd.debug". Soon a kernel patch was released that hid the debug flag from systemd, and Linus went on a rant like no other. If you really want to use a giant, clusterfucked, hard to audit, rapidly changing piece of software written by people that are too faggoty to stand up for their own mistakes, be my guest.

>Using entry level distros is wrong
>muh riced arch setup
>living in mommy's basement

>arch
that shit is to casual for basement dwellers. Try Gentoo.

Install Gentoo

this

It's literally just Debian+nonfree with an african name, and spyware.

Why wouldn't you use Debian, shill?

>Gentoo
Implying it's not casual
Install Solus

>goofy name
it is an ancient word

It's not as good as gentoo

serious questin. Just install 16. from 12
What is this SNAP thing? Why do I need an email to get access?

fucking kill yourself

snap is like food stamps for ubuntu

they need to pay for shuttleworth's cars and shit somehow after all

Canonical tries to rape my firewall with telemetry so they can get found in a ditch for all I care

fucking kill yourself

NetBSD*

fucking kill yourself

this

this

Ubuntu Minimal images. Add Xorg+i3 or Wayland+Sway. All of the packages, PPA ecosystem and timely security updates with none of the bloat.

kill yourself

Pushed their shitty hack of a DE that included advertisements to try to break into the mobile meme. Use a real distro like Fedora or Debian.

kill yourself

This. If you're clinging onto Windows just for gaymes, GPU passthrough is the way to go desu