Firefox web-extensions

Lets discuss the literal abortion that Firefox 57 is going to be.
Show me your dying addons, Sup Forums
Show me your fall-back browser.

Other urls found in this thread:

eff.org/files/https-everywhere-test/index.html
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aria2
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Download_managers
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_download_managers
github.com/jasadams/imagezoom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>reddit
Get out.

Pale Moon and Waterfox aside, I guess I'll be looking into building an degoogled Chromium. Fucking hell, Firefox

>I don't like Firefox moving to WebExtensions
>So I'll use a browser that has used WebExtensions since its beginning
Genius

>not going to /r/The_Donald
YOU get out of my country

>Show me your addons
That would defeat the purpose of this one :^)

I don't see a problem user :3

jokes on you nigger, I'm in the vatican!

Webextensions is worse than Chrome extensions though. Webextensions purposely broke compatibility with the original.

All I want is an addon bar because I'm an autist who hates change.

>Pale Moon
palemoon runs 1 in every 10 addons i have.

>tfw status4evar/ CTR / beyond australis won't be ported
;_;

>being this retarded

>blend in
just use any of the new webexension user agent switchers
>cleanest addon manager
the fuck you need that for
>context search
just copy paste lazy nigger
>disable ctrl-q
don't be a nigger
>downthemall
use a proper download script
>foxyproxy
there are webextension alternatives
>google image search
you're a nigger
>greasemonkey
they are working on a webextension version
>htitle
gnome 3 users confirmed niggers
>https everywhere
they are working on a webextension version
>imgur shit
NIGGER
>no close buttons
NIGGER CATTLE

holy shit you're pathetic why even bother

>reddit
Please kill yourself

Fucking nigger cattle, just look at you bloating up your browser. Addons were a mistake, I'm glad mozilla is fixing this.

Why do you use so many of them at once? You really don't need 23 extensions. Not to mention that some of those could be replaced by userscripts.

what does my skin color have to do with anything?
also xfce not gnome

no u. you can't run unmodified chrome extensions on sjwfox

is there a compatible ublock yet

Use ESR until May 2018, then switch to Basilisk.

The real question is, what will Mozilla do to all the legacy extensions once the ESR ends? Will they delete every single legacy extension on the site?

>RES
fucking kys scumbag.
time for you to fuck off back to tumblr you degenerate metal nutjob

rip vimfx

Just one. Flashgot. I hope it will be rewritten for 57. other than that I'm good to go.

Ublock + tree style tabs is literally all I want working.

that's even worse, at least go on Sup Forums

Oh but you are probably trolling, 6/10

>Basilisk
but palemoon has shit addon support. i doubt basilisk is gonna be any better
>The real question is, what will Mozilla do to all the legacy extensions once the ESR ends? Will they delete every single legacy extension on the site?
probly. someone will back them all up before that happens hopefully.

ublock has already been ported for quite some time you fucking retard kys

once noscript is ported to nightly I'll be installing that, otherwise the only addon(s) I'm going to miss are downloadthemall and passwordexporter, both of which have external workarounds

>reddit enhancement suite

Time to go back my friend.

Why Smart HTTPS instead of HTTPSEverywhere? It's a been a webextension for a while now.

it has not

Yes it has
eff.org/files/https-everywhere-test/index.html

>someone on Sup Forums makes a claim
>proceed to make the opposite claim without ever trying to verify it

Any good alternatives for bamboo rss reader? That is the only soon to be dead extension that I use.

no it does not. all webextensions in the addons site have a "compatible with firefox 57 green label, this does not"

>It's a been a webextension for a while now.
didn't even realise but to be honest I kind of gave up on it a few months ago when I heard about smart https since https everywhere is a bit bloated, smart https has its own problems though and I was considering forking it but I'll probably just go back to https everywhere for now - cheers

Are you retarded or just pretending?

See

ive switched to inoreader. (web rss)
suboptimal but i like the to use multiple devices and use labels across them.
bitch it says LEGACY in OP image.

Did you consider installing the webextension version?

>only a nigger would use something i don't

Reminder that anyone "falling back" to chrome browsers is a shill or an idiot. Chrome is now objectively slower than Firefox Nightly, respects your freedom less and it's adblocking abilities are inferior. So chrome is right now a shittier version of firefox.

>eff.org/files/https-everywhere-test/index.html
Thanks for the link user.

>use an addon that can be easily replaced by a simple script
Yes, only a nigger would do that.

>So chrome is right now a shittier version of firefox.
I'd like to see some actual proof for this.
Not saying I don't believe you, I just would like to see that claim be proved right.

>Chrome is now objectively slower than Firefox Nightly
People have repeatedly posted benchmarks here showing that Chrome is still faster by a large margin.

>Chrome is now objectively slower than Firefox Nightly
Chrome still beats Firefox in dom manipulation benchmarks.
That's going to change as more components are replaced with Servo but there's still a long way to go.

ohrly? show me that simple script to replace them.
You can start with downthemall
i'll wait knowing that there is no alternative for it

nightly is so fast idc

you want to mass download shit from xyz website, write a script for it, If you can't write it then search for it
ez

and why should i write websitespecific scripts? if i can have an addon that works universally this is an incredible waste of time

because a browser is not a download manager

>buhu you are a nigger because you don't want to use external scripts to download your shit because i think a browser should only be able to browse the web
fuck off noone forces you to use it, but i know your type you rather see every possible option removed than to accept that people want things you don't

>fuck off noone forces you to use it
Thank god and I'm glad mozilla forces you fucking bloatfags out of the community, culling the useless addons was the best move they ever did. Btw no one is forcing you to use the new light & fast nightly build, go back to your shitty placebo fork.
>but i know your type you rather see every possible option removed than to accept that people want things you don't
And I know your type, you fucks would transform with your feature creep any application into a fully fledged os if you could, emacs is a clear example of that. Thankfully mozilla stepped in before firefox would become the emacs of web browsers.

Bloatfags need to die, kys.

stylish collects your data, replace it with stylus, its webextension too

Do your own research.

>Show me your dying addons, Sup Forums
B-but I don't have any

Sounds nice, I didn't remember that name when I was going to install stylish, thanks!
what are you talking about

lol

mozillafag, palememe has its own version of most addons.

check the site, morally insensitive faggot

>featurecreep
you are aware that all i want from mozilla to leave a proper api on which people can make their own addons, instead of what will happen now where mozilla will fill it with tons of shitily implemented features that you won't be able to remove but sure be glad you parasite trust your corporate overlords to know what's best for you like the mindless idiot that you are

I'm not going to spoonfeed you which of these add-ons will have a webextension version and which ones have an alternative that is webextension based.

was I asking, you sperglord?

>you are aware that all i want from mozilla to leave a proper api on which people can make their own addons
You still can make addons for firefox.
>mozilla will fill it with tons of shitily implemented features that you won't be able to remove
Yeah, that's why the nightly build uses less ram and runs faster, right?
>but sure be glad you parasite trust your corporate overlords to know what's best for you like the mindless idiot that you are
How horrifying, they are enslaving me by making a privacy respecting, open-source web browser that can actually compete with chrome.

I switched to Firefox 57 (Nightly) a couple days ago and I fucking love it. Firefox hasn't felt this fast in a very long time. The only addons that matter either already have a webextension version, will have one soon or have suitable replacements.

>Reminder that anyone "falling back" to chrome browsers is a shill or an idiot.
can confirm the latter case, know someone that uses firefox that has been crying about switching to chrome for well over a year now claiming that mozilla is removing userChrome.css and userContent.css with the switch to ff57
mozilla isn't doing this of course, it was just the case of an irrelevant dev who has also been trying to remove the profile tool for years now, later confirmed that there's no plans to remove either of these by the add-on community project manager

firefox is probably always going to be worse in javascript benchmarks considering google had to spend millions developing their modern v8 javascript engine, still, ff57 being an unstable beta is a lot faster than firefox has been for years

>proper
webext is not a proper api it's a neutered piece of garbage
>Yeah, that's why the nightly build uses less ram and runs faster, right?
and it will totally stay that way even though we have a precedent of them implementing shit features especially now that noone can say anymore "get that addon for it"
>enslaving
no you are just someone who can't think for himself and that's why you need everything removed that a browser "doesn't need"
and no it can't compete with chrome and you will see that once the main release comes it will continue to die while chrome continues to dominate

Everyone on Sup Forums seems to be trying to talk like Terry Davis, or is everyone here really Terry Davis?

What if Everyone here worships Terry Davis because they're all samefag Terry Davis, and I'm just being fooled?

found the cia nigger

there's something to be said for being succinct when trolls are acting like cia niggers

>webext is not a proper api it's a neutered piece of garbage
Please make a list of the things webextension prevents you from doing.
>and it will totally stay that way
Oh really? Did you get into a time machine to see the future?
>even though we have a precedent of them implementing shit features especially now that noone can say anymore "get that addon for it"
"Get an addon for it" is still the motto of mozilla, that is why they removed unnecessary "features" like tab groups for example.
>no you are just someone who can't think for himself and that's why you need everything removed that a browser "doesn't need"
Most of the addons that can't be ported to webextension are either useless garbage, or the dev is simply a lazy piece of shit that doesn't feel like porting it, or they simply should be a stand alone applications. Other minor addons would do fine as simple userscripts or userstyles. Stop trying to turn firefox into emacs.
>it can't compete with chrome and you will see that once the main release comes it will continue to die while chrome continues to dominate
Firefox is in the second place in the browser market share you shill, It's the only fully compliant open-source web browser that can compete with chrome.

>make a list
i can't be bothered to make you a list, suffice to say i want to be able to fully utilize downthemall and classic theme restorer
>Oh really? Did you get into a time machine to see the future?
i admit i didn't, but i am reasonably certain but of course you will need to wait for it to happen which is reasonable enough.
>"Get an addon for it" is still the motto of mozilla, that is why they removed unnecessary "features" like tab groups for example.
yeah and they now totally can say get an addon to gain the functionality of downthemall
>blabla useless blabla
and again what you deem useless is completely irrelevant, you can go on and tell me how you can even have a standalone version of addons like downthemall seeing how their integration in the browser is an essential feature.
>firefox is in the second place
third because normies don't care to use it
and it being a fully compliant open-source web-browser will never get normies to stop using chrome

>muh downthemall
Image downloading scripts are a dime a dozen and so are download managers, an example from a simple search:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aria2
also:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Download_managers
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_download_managers
>classic theme restorer
Just use userChrome.css
>and again what you deem useless is completely irrelevant
It starts being relevant when it transforms the web browser into a hybrid monstrosity that tries to do everything in an inefficient way, which is why mozilla made an overhaul of the addon ecosystem.

i could just as well copy the link into jdownloader but that's not the point, it lacks the integration, which you call a hybrid monstrosity i guess.
>Just use userChrome.css
if it isn't removed i'll test that once 57 is feature complete

You do realize that chart is made by ad companies reporting ad view usage? Firefox users mostly block such things.

>adblock plus

i'm good

nightly is good

>adblock plus
>noscript

cliget ;_;

We need more smart people from reddit on Sup Forums.

Is there an open with plugin alternative that uses webextensions? I use it with mpv.

They are working on the webextension version, I think you can get the beta on their github page. But other than that I think there is no alternative.

Only extension that Im missing is tab scope.
Prevent overflow was useful in FF, but can be tweaked around by editing one file anyway.

Seems ok.

On exhentai, I can use a links grabber+downthemall to get any doujin very easily. I really doubt any of these other solutions would work.

I don't want to lose Tab Scope, Tab Groups and Context Search

>I have ~10 add-ons installed, only 3 are migrating

image4ants

uMatrix is so much better than NoScript

i hope vimfx gets ported or somet hing x.x ;_;

>Undo Close Tab addon

Dudue... just press Ctrl+Shift+t

Do you really need an entire addon for a single keyboard shortcut

>muh sandbox cuz muh security
>ask for one instance any add-on compromised security
>UHHH d-devs know best!

lelmao everytime. There is LITERALLY no reason to use web extensions.

This is literally the only extension I want working, since it's the only extension of it's kind on FF, but it's been dead since Firefox 40+ introduced a perma context menu bug alongside fucky E10S issues, and the author is such a cunt where instead of fixing it, he reported me for harassment when I stated how dead this is if he doesn't fix it

github.com/jasadams/imagezoom

I had to give up firefox completely a couple of weeks ago. Like, shit, I can open chess - and start playing, get music going, etc. before FF was able to start.

Shit, I even tried to use the mobile browser, and that was complete garbage too.

Now I'm using Chromium. The scrolling fucking sucks, I even disabled smooth scrolling, which was fucking terrible, but the problems persist. It's good enough, though, so I'll probably stick with it.

Sort of true. But, an adblocker+noscript is nice. Who wants to manually disable scripts when you can just click a button?

You need Nightly + new profile.
God knows what kind of bullshit you have in there.