Librem 5 – A Security and Privacy Focused Phone

Is this a good idea or will they fuck it up like Canonical and Mozilla did with their smartphone operating systems?

Other urls found in this thread:

matrix.org/blog/2017/08/24/the-librem-5-from-purism-a-matrix-native-smartphone/
puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
indiegogo.com/projects/unaphone-zenith-secure-and-private-smartphone-mobile-security
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

matrix.org/blog/2017/08/24/the-librem-5-from-purism-a-matrix-native-smartphone/

No difference from Android unless the hardware runs libre firmware

>The whole idea of the phone is to provide unprecedented privacy, security and autonomy by running an entirely FOSS Debian-based GNU/Linux stack (even including CPU & GPU drivers!)
>We’re particularly excited from a philosophical perspective that the Librem 5 is targeting the NXP (Freescale) i.MX6 or i.MX8 ARM-based processor and Vivante GPU – both of which can be run without any proprietary microcode or proprietary drivers. From everything we’ve heard, this is going to be a spectacularly FOSS-friendly device.

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

What about the baseband processor? GPS? Sensors? Will they too run libre firmware? Can it run apps made for Android or will it have its own app store?

Is this thing worth $599? We will see...

It's a great idea, I will go donate right now, the choices in the smartphone industry right are are just balls, IToddler or iJavaShitwarePajeetwareBloatware

Those thing do not exist in libre

never heard of these people so i won't rush to throw my money at them.

i can see several issues such as not many people caring about freedom in general, those who do are probably quite happy without such a device.

the only pro of a smartphone for me is navigation. how do you propose one would use something like that without the botnet being involved in one way or another?

Being a poorfag interested in privacy, that caught my eye but 599? That hurts my wallet a lot. My android phone works fine for now, maybe i'll buy one when they go for their first sale next year ?

Sorry Sup Forums, this is going to fail. Not even spectacularly, that's how little attention it will get. Your average user gives fuck all about security and privacy. They put a 6 digit (if that many) passcode on their phone and the feel good.

Sure sounds like this phone is going to flop.
It wont get the funding because people who are into this shit also hate giving money to other for things that "they can do themselves"

Maybe they don't need the masses to succeed ? Maybe thinking you'll only succeed when you touch the katy perry listening, bud light drinking, kinoa munching, electrochill listening masses is a meme ?

>600$ for a phone with potato hardware

This is one thing that I never understood, oneplus could make their first phone with good hardware for fuck all, why can't free tards do it?

>ITT people thinking this will amount to anything.
Happened before. Failed as expected.

indiegogo.com/projects/unaphone-zenith-secure-and-private-smartphone-mobile-security

How did that turn out?

Anyway, just buy a fucking iPhone if you want security or buy a big button dumb phone if you want privacy.

What if you want completely free software?

>Another chinkshit cuckstarter phone. All of these "enthusiast" phones will fail

>Security and Privacy
>Phone
Fuckoff

so it's a glorified handheld toy that always needs to be hooked up to a wireless connection? I already have a small laptop for that level of convenience

>seperates CPU from cellular baseband
so what, it's still proprietary trash? There is no such thing as an open baseband

This is a marketing gimmick for the security theater

There's hardware killswitches for all that trash. And if you don't want that garbage you can just as well make your own custom build with no baseband firmware.

So that leaves me with a wifi only brick in my pocket for the majority of the time (probably using proprietary radios as well)? And a (no doubt) poorly audited, poorly patched together GNU/Linux device that will lose support after a week because it's coming from some trash no name org?

Sorry. New hardware is not going to fix a whole network designed to invade your privacy. This toy actually makes you stick out even more like a sore thumb to any interested party

You're only fooling yourself by thinking you're going to be toggling that HW switch for any use case even remotely close to normal. Also, I want to see who is going to be running GNU?Linux on a small touchscreen with no proper support when tried and tested portable hardware already exists.

Security is a complex continuous process, not a 600USD one time purchase from a no name

There are already portable solutions with proper operating systems and minimizations of proprietary hw components. This is just a shittier version of those solutions that throws the same proprietary components on an SOC that will become irrelevant in no time. The definition of marketing gimmick