Why do we still have PS/2 in motherboards? USB keyboards and mices failed?

Why do we still have PS/2 in motherboards? USB keyboards and mices failed?

Same reason we still have analog audio jacks on the mobo. People are retarded.

It's universal and just werks. They aren't all that bad either.

Thank you for providing an example of retardation. Your effort is appreciated.

Gaming is super mainstream.
PS/2 keyboards have 0 input lag and just werk

legacy boot, dumb usb didn't work sometimes when installing os one of example.

Legacy standards take a very long time to die. Expecially when business and "muh less input lag compared to USB"

Thank you guys. Now I know better.

Thank you guys. Now I know that you are retards.

PS/2 needed for keyboard NKRO and reduced latency.

Thank you guys. My knowledge remains unchanged.

PS/2 is still around because some people still find it useful and it requires no additional hardware to implement besides the ports. All PCs have superIO chips that provide PS/2 you just have to add the ports

>just werk
>Start up computer
>Plug in keyboard
>Doesn't werk

Literally the opposite happens with PS/2.

If that occurs than you're probably using an adapter

Source it mate.

>Starting up THEN plugging in
Is this the joke? I'm guessing that's the joke.

Why not? It's better to have something than not to have something.

-some gamers prefer PS2 because it's """"faster"""" (it IS actually as PS2 is interrupt based and USB is pooled, however a normal human will not notice that). To amend this, some gaymen mobos feature a dedicated mouse USB port with unnecessary high pooling rate.
-some IT professionals prefer PS2 because they work better with KVM switches and then they can disable USB entirely, so the end user cannot plug his shit in the computer and possibly infect it with autorun malware

That's the problem yeah, it only works if you plug it in before start up.

It's cheap, still useful, and frees up USB slots. Fuck I have a PS/2 to USB adapter just for the extra USB slot.

>not using a PS/2 keyboard to take some unnecessary load off your USB controller

kek

It's not like they take up a lot of space or are expensive to make. They also don't require different drivers for every new device that comes out.

In fact, I use such a keyboard right now because why not? As long as it works.

I've tried a lot of those things and none of them worked. Turns out PS/2 to USB conversion is not a passive thing, you need an actual circuit board inside those adapters.

PS/2-to-USB converters are just simple pin adapters. For them to work the KB or mouse has to have logic inside of it that detects what kind of port its plugged into and speaks the appropriate protocol. Many devices can do this but lots don't. (rule of thumb: any device that can do it will come with an adapter)

>t. Tim Cook

Oh, nice to know. Thanks.

Well it does grandpa. Maybe it didn't work on your pIII, but nowadays computers can handle this

PS: It's impossible to damage anything using an adapter on a device that doesn't support it. It just won't work.

You can be really good at one thing or kinda good at a bunch of things. Dedicated > multipurpose

The unsaid but assumed caveat there was "...unless you deliberately go out of your way to TRY and damage things. So don't do that."

See