/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/SIVGA-Headphones-Definition-Professional-SV007/dp/B0718VWCB9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503596646&sr=8-1&keywords=sivga
parts-express.com/tang-band-w3-1878-3-full-range-driver--264-902#!
headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600-avantgarde
youtube.com/watch?v=ZaR34WTjYt4
youtube.com/watch?v=3AZTKCMRzHM
youtube.com/watch?v=c2Es9S9tXTY
secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/conventions/?elib=16768
innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-target-response-curve-research-update
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

>If you're really on a tight budget try the Fiio K1, it'll drive the HD600s just fine. 40 burgerbucks on Amazon.
but that one says for headphones with a range of 16 to 100 ohms, and hd600 are 300 ohms

Idol trash here.
I have a shitstack, but I've been using the Fulla 2 as a test for a few days.
HD600 sounds good with it, indistinguishable from Magni2 unless at top volume (past 3 o'clock) where it'll distort just a little with compressed music (but it's also too loud, so who cares!). I find that most of the time, on the Fulla2, I keep volume below 12 o'clock anyway.
The Fulla2 ($99) is what I'd recommend for maximum value/money, due to its specs and functionality.

>sennfag
>schitt hiss monsters
>das redditboard
cringe/10

Sennbabbys are mentally ill

:^)

>anime
>sennheiser
>das
>schitt
quadfectra of autism

Is there a wireless headphone chart?

Have you hear talking about this :amazon.com/SIVGA-Headphones-Definition-Professional-SV007/dp/B0718VWCB9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503596646&sr=8-1&keywords=sivga
If yes, your thoughts on it please

Best noise canceling headphones which are not completely shit?

>Bose Q35
>Bose

>Sony MDR-1000X
>Instant Headband cracking

Alternatives?

no because they are shit

>bose
and
>irrelevant chink shit

100% trash

who gives a fuck, I just want something to use in the gym

There's more out of sight. ^_^
>running arch linux, openbsd, haikuos
>i3 as wm
>arduinos, cubieboards, usb-serialttls
>hexbright flashlights
>kancolle wallscroll
>random figurines
>ps3, wii, dsi, psp
>aspirin boxes

Yeah faggot, what else then?

>in the gym
you are never going to get laid fatty, now stop hiding your faggotry and go back to /fit/

anything german that isnt sennheiser

>lifting for gurls

>t. basement dweller

The previous thread link is wrong, that was two threads ago.

Anime website, go back to

>Not keeping yourself in shape
Kek. This is why you're stuck here, faggot

Anime website.

I would like to buy a headphone that I can use at my school and on the public bus home but that is also an upgrade from my dt880(eq'd) at home.
I'm going to be 25 this year and it's my second year so it's not like I'm gonna get laid thus I don't really care if they're ugly.
>Budget
$350
>Location
US
>Source
Dragonfly Black ran from my laptop(flac)
>Type of headphone
IEM or over ear closed back(no on ears)
>Open or closed
Closed or IEM
>Comfort level
doesnt matter
>Sound signature
Unsure. I listen to electronic music.
>Past headphones
DT880, DT990, hyperx cloud, ath m50

ATH-MSR7 or Sony MDR1A

what does /hpg/ think of M50s?

chinkshit.xyz/infographic.pdf

Are you starting /hpg/s with bad artwork on purpose?

I didn't notice until I had already posted it

general consensus is that they're overhyped. most would recommend getting the DT770s instead. keep in mind I haven't tried any of them

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

MSR7 is gorgeous and I'm open to it. Why that headphone though?
What about IEMs?

Pic + timestamp

I've got the 6XXs on the way. Have thought about getting a modi + magni combo, then heard that they benefit greatly from tubes. Is this a meme or should I spare the extra cash for a vali?

>tubes
Meme. Feel free to try it when you have a proper modi+magni combo to compare it against. Remember tubes only last n hours where n is quite low, and so they do need regular replacement.

Recommend me some grados

Post your setup

There's no reason to get any but the SR-60e. Almost all Grados sound roughly the same and are extremely slight sonic variations on the SR-60e. The very few Grados with a different sonic character than the "house sound" are expensive and vastly outperformed by other headphones in their price range.

>AKG

Who?

I am silly
How do "around the ear" earphones like this work?
Are you supposed to adjust the wire each time you insert them?

They seem much more finicky than my standard earphones

Gotcha. Anything else I should look at or is the schiit stack the way to go?

Jotunheim is the "luxury" option from schiit. Specs wise it's better; whether it's an improvement in practice (hearable) is anyone's guess.

The stability and reduced microphonics that design leads to are well worth the extra second or two of adjustment when you first put them in.

>Jotunheim
Way outta my budget. I was talking about other things that I should look at from other companies in the same range.
Also, are DACs a meme? It's my first voyage into the audio world and I keep hearing so many fucking opinions I can't make a decision

Does your favorite headphone company advertise with anime tiddies?

>DACs
They're a meme except you need one to convert digital to analog.
The "meme" part is that if your computer or whatever hasn't fucked up their implementation, you should be fine using that. But it's often the case they do fuck up.
Having one as reference doesn't hurt. A popular option is the Fulla2, as it's the same DAC as the modi, but also has an amp and pretty nifty feature set. Some anons here use them with a Magni2.
IMHO, either get the fulla2 or the modi2 uber or multibit. The "standard" modi2 is not good value vs the Fulla2, when you consider the features of the latter.
I have both the uber stack and the Fulla2. Love them.

What the fuck I love hifiman now

Wait, so the fulla 2 is the same as the modi 2 but with an amp extra? what's the deal with that?

Be warned: Only poor people say this

Same DAC chip. Should sound 99.9% the same. To me, they do sound identical.
Different use cases, form factors, etc.
I honestly do not consider the standard modi2 to be worth it.

Is good for electronic,trap,dubstep music and with a budget of $350 I wouldn't even look at IEMS, headphones will always produce a better sound.

Anyone here build speakers before? Specifically full range ones? I want to make something like pic related with these parts-express.com/tang-band-w3-1878-3-full-range-driver--264-902#!

Based HIFIMAN.
/ourheadphones/

If they can save a dollar or two per board by using a cheap dac when no normalfag is even going to notice then they're going to do it. Particularly laptops make stuff sound like it's coming from a tin can

Are the V-MODA Crossfire 2 the best all around fullsized Bluetooth headphones? From what I've read the Sony MDR 1000X are snap city and the Bose QC35 have meh sound and some quality control issues.

If anything, it's a huge hint there's hifiman shills in /hpg/.

I'm not a fan of full rangers.
Smaller ones like the one in your link have limited power handling, and end-up requiring a subwoofer. Larger ones have shit directivity and cone breakup problems.

It's nice to try your hand at speaker building, but that's about it.

Kek. Silly user, Sennheiser shills rule this part of town

or /hpg/ shills at hifiman

At least they aren't as annoying as the snapheiser shills.

>sennheiser shills
There's no sennheiser shills in /hpg/ or elsewhere.
HD600 are so good they don't need to do much marketing.

>t. Sennheiser shill
Nice try, user. We know you exist

What amp and DAC should I get? I've heard good things about Objective2.

Not a shill, just suggesting Sennheiser when it makes sense (which happens to be very often).

I'm thinking about putting a little sub in each cabinet because I will be sad if metal sounds bad on them. But that's added complexity with crossovers and whatnot. I have a pair of fairly large kenwood 3-way speakers that I've never really liked that much but I've only used the cheapest shittest amp ever on them so I don't know if that would ruin it.

If you have nothing atm, just grab a Schiit Fulla 2. It has the closest to ideal specs, features, size and price. $99.
That likely is all you're ever going to need.

What reason would anybody ever have to need anything more than the Schiit Fulla 2?

balanced and dsd

Extended list of memes. Balanced, DSD, Multibit.
^_^
spdif inputs, powering super inefficient headphones, powering speakers, powering electrostatics (need special amp), or as luxury/status items (eg: $100k with diamond decorations).

You're a snapshill so your opinion is invalid.

no, slide up the riser on the cable if it has one after the wire is around your ear. The tension will keep the IEM on your ear

So what are considered some of the best headphones n the $300 - $500 bracket?
Already got k712s and 650.

Going to purchase my first serious headphones but can't decide between HD600 and HD650. I've read that HD650 are more enjoyable for recreational listening. Is it true?

It's not keeping them in that's the issue, it's placing them in each time

Sennheiser headbands do not snap easily. They *can* snap if you treat them real rough, but even then it's a non-issue.
headphonespares.sennheiser.co.uk/hifi-tv-headphones/hd-600-avantgarde

>*snaps above you*
>Nothing personal kid.

TH-X00

>Already got k712s and 650.
Which one do you like more?

Watch these:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZaR34WTjYt4
youtube.com/watch?v=3AZTKCMRzHM
youtube.com/watch?v=c2Es9S9tXTY
Then do the right thing.

I like them both but the k712 edges out in build quality/ergos imo. Both have slight issues with the materials though but what you gonna do? The headphones market doesn't value quality in materials much it seems.

protip: The HD600 do sound like HD600 right out of the box, without need for EQ.
Can plug anywhere, and get the HD600 experience. No EQ needed!

why would you ever rec an HD600 or any neutral can to a normal consumer when the average person doesn't even like neutral sigs

Sorry, I thought we were talking about ...

any guides or experiences with this problem
an old pair of mdr7506 but the aux tip has snapped i have a pair of mdrv7s which I find great but it would be really nice to have both

Both benefit from some eq in the 3-5Khz range

Because people's preferences have been studied, and neutral emerged king.
secure.aes.org/forum/pubs/conventions/?elib=16768
>62069143
Happens in the best houses. Yeah, if he already has HD650, then HD600 makes little sense.

I absolutely love the HD600 midrange as it is, so I wouldn't touch that.

>based on an in-room loudspeaker response
This applies to loudspeakers and not for headphones

The in-room loudspeaker response is the target curve for headphones which people do prefer, user.
That's literally what the study says.

>It's important to note at this point that a flat speaker in a typical home listening room does not sound flat. Due to the ever decreasing dispersion of sound from a direct radiating speaker as frequency rises and the low frequency gain of a small room (boundary effect), the actual sound power in the room is somewhat more bass heavy than the flat anechoic response of the speaker. This is normal, and it's believed that we expect and desire this warm tilt with speakers in a room.

innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-target-response-curve-research-update

Yup. That's why the target is not flat.

Are these the best portable closed headphones under $350?

Yes

No

Maybe

MAKE UP YOUR FUVKING MINDS I FUCKING HATE YOU PEIPLKE

Yep. They're also the nicest looking, arguably out of any price range.

M100s are better if you don't mind bass, MDRs are better if you enjoy warm sound. And I'm sure you can find a pm-3 somewhere for $350. MSR7s have meh comfort and squeaky swivels