/Guts/ new May may's edition?

Show PC , Mac or other haredware of Personal Computer insides
Weather that be Desktop or Laptop we welcome them all.

Be nice and respectful.
AMD, Intel or other brand welcome
You may rate or critic any PC.
Civil talk only.

t.Intel nice guy.

Lets have something different. Here's my router, because I had it open recently. It's a Pentium G3258 running pfSense in one of those generic 2U cases from Newegg. It's way more powerful than my router needs to be, but I had the CPU, RAM, and some other bits lying around.

Cool.

Not the first time posting this. But I have some follow up pictures.

With this being the place-holder case.

>that cute chipset fan
was it actually overheating or was it just because you could?

It was mostly just because I could.
But on the other side of the motherboard is an SSD which gets quite hot, and with no real way to get rid of the heat.
So cooling the chipset was one way to solve that.
I don't think I actually hit any thermal-throttling but it is always nice to have some more headroom.

Also the NOCTUA fans on the graphics card are not as powerfull as the stock ones, but it looks better. (I know poofan, but the other ones was red)

I didn't even know Noctua made fans that small. Love how compact this is, though.

what did i fuck up on

The picture and the CPU
>skylake
That one tells it self

And the fact that there is no reason to show your CPU-Z since your CPU is idle and not showing it's actual OC specs and voltage

I haven't overclocked it yet so is there really any point to have cpu-z on the picture then?

Also, how can I improve on the picture?

>An entire year old
>people still fighting to overpay for my GPU
>CPU still more than adequate (even though Sup Forums flipped the "CPU really doesn't matter" meme over to hype AMD lately)

Guess what kind of productivity my machine is for

Why did you make a dedicated PC based router? For what benefits?
Never really understood the hard one people have for mITX builds. Especially with the potential thermal throttling you were talking about being a problem or hindering performance. My server is mITX with 7 drives in its case. What a nightmare.
hmmm. Case is a... Cooler Master HAF 912? I've seen custom blacked out versions of that case that looked great. Although temps don't change, you should put the heatsink fan on the other side. Looks better aesthetically unless the RAM is interfering.

Nice GPU brace.
In my opinion? Buying an i7-6700k unless you got that pre-Ryzen. Also what on Earth is a "Microsoft Storage Space Device"?
There's something lewd about having a motherboard completely filled with expansion cards. Specs? What's it use?

Here's my POS. Haven't done much to it recently.

gaymen

No there is no point for the CPUZ
that was the only issue with the picture

With mini ITX you get a smaller computer over all.
Which in itself can be interesting to work with.
It isn't more prone to thermal throttling than any other poorly managed build of other sizes.

I got it about a year ago, and the Microsoft Storage Space Device is a 10gb partition for running virtual machines

I'll take it out then, thanks

RAM is probably next to upgrade

ayy

shitty phone pic edition

As if your picture looks any better than mine lmfao.

first time sharing this frankenstein

R8/H8. Waiting on new sleeved cables before I finish tidying up everything.

Is that a Micro USB angled connector on that WC block?

>>Why did you make a dedicated PC based router? For what benefits?
pfSense is actively patched and maintained, unlike most router firmware. My former router (which is now just an access point) is an ancient Asus (like, 2007ish) running a 2.4 series kernel. I don't trust it to be exposed directly to the internet. I mean, I could buy another consumer router, but why bother when I could run a real computer with something supported?

Also pfSense lets you have much more fine-grained firewalling than any consumer router will. I can have wireless on a separate subnet, and let my laptop access my server but keep everything else blocked, for instance.

Not him, but it's probably for Corsair Link. My PSU has it too, it's a mini-USB connector in my case.

Before I replaced the cooler.

Oh, I see.
For a moment I believed that the water block was powered via USB.

he has to charge it, dummy

You are correct sir.

How do I make my own router?

With pfSense? Get one computer that has at least two network interfaces. Boot the installer with every network jack unplugged. It'll ask you to plug in the WAN (internet), LAN, and any other interfaces in sequence. Bam, router, with DHCP, DNS, and all the usual trimmings on (by default) 192.168.1.1. From there you can log into the web interface and change whatever you want. Any feature you would find in any router is there, from ordinary consumer port-forwarding to VLANs and OpenVPN server setup.

Caveats: wi-fi support is ass, it's a lot easier to do wireless by switching a consumer wireless router to access-point mode and plugging it into an interface on the pfSense box. Also you need x86-64 and AES-NI, which means Sandy Bridge or newer, since i386 support is being dropped in 2.4 and AES-NI will be required in 2.5. Be willing to learn shit and use trial and error if you aren't already a networking wizard (I presume you're not since you're asking the question)

Thank you good sir. Im a pleb when it comes to networking. Ill probably be using Ethernet LAN

I was stating mine was a shitty phone pic numbnuts.
Like the colors
that yellow pcb, old 775 asus?
looks good, black/red or red cables and red fans on pull instead of push would prob tie it all in.

like an angel

Here's mine, Ive sinced removed the cotton candy and replaced it with pure white.

Shit picture, I need to take some better ones
Ask me anything
>resisting the urge to upgrade to kikeripper

r8s h8s apreci8s and questions now, to give the thread some fucking substance
looks good on the whole, but cables could be cleaner. why did you decide to go with green? seems like a pretty old case, what you got there? why do you still keep it?
>that dan case
i love it man, but why the fan on the fucking chipset? your vrm should be fine with the other cooler
im hard for that torn down gpu though got daaamn son
i got a giggle
shit picture, basic entery level build though, cleanup your cables
please tell me that fan is pulling and not pushing
>what did i fuck up on
the nxzt h440 for a start, the strix 1070 to finish
but the rest of the build looks really good
>what the fuck is that noctua doing up there
nice server user, doing anything in particular with it?
you could at least try to manage the cables user, other than that looks like a nice solid build, if i was you id sell while you can and buy used, something like a 980ti, or get a fat $400 discount on a 1080ti or similar, then not upgrade for years
>them ssd
>that classified
>that not noctua cooler
is that a thermalright? what is that? and im very interested in what this meme machine is used for, looks like youve got 32gb of ram, plenty of ssd space and a nvme, as well as some decent hdd space and a overkill psu. did you pick that for a reason or just muh efficiency? also whats in the 5.25 bay?
shit pictures make it hard to tell, looks like clean up your wires, too much led/rgb for my taste
try turning down your exposure time a bit on your camera if shit phone and its dark/with lights
is that a 775? xeon or what? and that looks to me to be an old 500 series, what you got user?
a modular psu would help you a lot
>that green ssd in that red build
>that black and blue 24pin in that red build
what the fuck user get it together, could use some tidying up

continued
looks good user, how you liking the taichi? love mine so far, although bios updates have been a ride
whats the expansion card? ethernet? i would route that gpu cable over the card
still love this build, ancient case, solid mobo solid cpu and lotsa ram, looks good my man. is that strix a 200 series or gtx? iirc the amd strix were garbage
define s air cooling builds always look empty, get a action figure or gundam and put it up there. get some cable combs and pure white or cotton candy youve got a great looking build

Is GPU sag bad for long term?
I just got a MSI 1080ti and it had some minor sag while in the case. my turbo autism activated and I created a small GPU jack and made it level.

But I was wondering if GPU sag was even bad in the first place, like over a long period of time can the GPU just bend due to heat and die?

>pic related, its my homemade GPU support

It's fine.

GPU sag is bad.

>is that strix a 200 series or gtx
390°x, CUIII is a joke on these. Popped up for $175 on craigs and I got it for $165, arctic grizzly and thermal pads to the backplate helped but it's still a housefire.
This is the same build with all the lights on. Hard to get a pic in the dormer window its stuffed in.

I love that new Thermalright heatsink. They did a good job on the asthetic design with top plate being black and the rest being non shiny grey. In addition they also made it very thin. Probably one of the thinnest 140mm coolers ever I think. So the question for you is how do you like it?

I'm a big fan!! Got it for 40 bucks shipped and I've been very impressed. Keeps my 1600 at 3.9 1.3375v at around 74c for a 4 hour ibt load, and even at top fan speed it's almost silent. Definitely kills the h7 for what it is, looks better too imo. Only issue is it blocks the top pcie slot on my motherboard, so I had to move my second nic to another spot. Not end of the world but still kinda sucks. In a normal case I suppose you could rotate and have it exhaust up but that isn't an option in my case

>looks good on the whole, but cables could be cleaner. why did you decide to go with green? seems like a pretty old case, what you got there? why do you still keep it?

I did a red and a bule theme before so i wanted a change and my wife likes green,black and silver so that that was the theme of the build.

As for the Old case it's the same age as the skylake system its just a budget brand I'm not interested in asthestics but the case fuction its a; Vortex 2 by raidmax.
At the time the case had good storage features and since I knew upgrades on HDD to SDD's was my intended upgrade path.
dispite being cheap and noisey its one of the best ventated Cases I've ever seen for a budget case.

With every 3rd new build I like to try something new.

As for the PSU its a 80+ gold Raidmax 600w PSU
Its a stand in for another PSU later on.
But as I was recoving from replacing my car that blew up on the highway some things in the budget had to be sacificed.

I see. Makes sense.
>
>>them ssd
>>that classified
>>that not noctua cooler
>is that a thermalright? what is that? and im very interested in what this meme machine is used for, looks like youve got 32gb of ram, plenty of ssd space and a nvme, as well as some decent hdd space and a overkill psu. did you pick that for a reason or just muh efficiency? also whats in the 5.25 bay?

The cooler is a thermaltake silent 14. Better than the CM 212 EVO by a little, but the heatsink is sized differently so that even with a fan installed, it doesn't block the ram slots. Noctua fans are ok. They're heatsinks are as good/bad as anyone else. This $40 cooler keeps my 1700X under 58C even when encoding or editing. Youre right about 32GB ram. Ddr4-2400mhz, CL12.

The SSDs are 120GB, 250GB, 500GB Samsung variants. Dedicated boot, scratch disk 2, and game install drive. The Nvme drive is my main scratch disk. I take a lot of photos with my DSLR camera in RAW format. I also rip/encode my own remuxes and edit video. The thing in the bottom 5.25" bay is a drawer. Pic related. Holds all my USB drives and microSD card cases so I don't lose them.

i used to have one of those when my case had 5.25 bays. they're pretty handy desu
i figured it was a scratch disk, just wasnt sure for what. nice to see a system with more than 2 drives for once in here tough, looking at grabbing a nvme scratch disk and 2 more ssd myself, then i can ditch the spinning rust for good, at least in my main machine
people really over value noctua for cooling and for fans. for airflow you can go with an arctic f12 and get 95% the performance with only 1-2db more at most, and for the price you can get a 5 pack of those fans for the price of 1 noctua. as for sp they've never been better than a gentle typhoon, and never will. GT are still cheaper too. and for coolers most of the time you can find something better for less, or something 2 degrees warmer for around half the price

The drawer is a good investment. Especially since it only cost me $10 at microcenter. I have a fractal R5 case, so the door that covers the 5.25" bays hides the ugly well.

And yea noctua is good, but expensive and there are cheaper just as efficient options out there. The nvme disk really helped as a way to have a dedicated work space. Speed things up too.

And I forgot to mention, the power supply I had was a CM V1000 gold certified. It was powering my old r9-290X xfire/ 5.4ghz clocked FX-9590 build a while ago. It gave up the ghost, so I bought the best PSU I can get my hands on this time around. 650w seasonic titanium prime.

Early generation "Quicksilver" PPC Arch with Open Firmware.

Oh and here's what it's running, absolutely no "dashboard" with "Genie" the Top Secret network exploitation! This puppy is still using Rosetta, that piece of Amasing software that Steve Jobs said and I quote "You'll never see!" I dont put it online - at all, unless it's to gather a few updates and cross compilers, it doesnt use any x86 instruction code at all and I am happy with it remaining that way!

It ain't mine but the way the lighting breathed was kinda cool. way too much spent on lighting though

No one cares mactoddler.

I like this a lot, but my question is why don't you get rid of the upper HDD cage? Put two HDDs and one SSD in the lower cage, remove the upper cage and put the two remaining SSDs on the back of the motherboard.
this one's sweet, I wish the colours weren't mismatched. I'd just probably run it on low brightness blue/white.
moderate sag isn't that bad but it's always better to support it in some way.

>Powermac
>OSX 10.12, so new it's not even OSX anymore
Wat

Oh that! LMAO - no thats just a skin!

LeopardRebirth!

I killed most of the Propreitry apple shit when I disabled the dashboard. Firefox is the next thing to Die!

I thought it was a skin, it does a good job of it.

I'm working on it, because gasp horror I code, so I was thinking to go lightweight with no heavy browser's more along the lines of Lynx or eLinks and getting rid of a lot of the bloat and have it hosting hardened apache inside a chroot shell running a few Mods.

Oh it's fast... Compared to an Intel it flys!

They should never have killed off Open PowerPC with propreitry intel shit, they're struggling to bring them back.. LOL

Case in point TALOS II

Recently just delidded my 7700k, before it wouldn't do 5ghz and crash instantly upon boot up. It would max 81c at constant full load for 10 minutes now its running 5ghz with max 65c. Going to undervolt next.

>I like this a lot, but my question is why don't you get rid of the upper HDD cage? Put two HDDs and one SSD in the lower cage, remove the upper cage and put the two remaining SSDs on the back of the motherboard.

Thanks, and it's Because the R5 case looks kind of dumb without its cages. And with how the connectors are on my power supply, it'd be a hassle to route the wires for the SSDs in the back of the motherboard tray. There is no difference in airflow either because I don't even have fans on the front.

>Compared to an Intel it flys!
I've got a handful of iMac G3's and G4's, plus some powermacs, and running 10.4 they all seemed a bit slow (The G3's choked, the G4's did better), so I wonder if you have any advice for speeding OSX up?
I'd love to use an iMac G4 as my main machine if possible.

>delids cpu
>undervolts
fucking what? why not chase that sweet ass 5ghz or higher?

The paste Intel uses should be considered criminal. We're not talking a 2C difference when running an LN2 setup. It's almost a 20C difference on an off the shelf AiO. Ridiculous.

And I'm surprised your itx board can actually pump out the amount of voltage/power needed to push an i7-7700k to 5ghz.

This is the desktop system.

There are also other systems.

This is another picture of the same technology.

you need a GPU brace bud that sag is horriable.

Nice. Real clean and nice.

Where did you get that anti-GPU-sag thingy? I want/need something like that.

I use a PC as a router too. There's advantages as a pure router but to me it's more about the ability to run all kinds of things like tor, bitcoind, yacy and things like that on a 24/7 box. I guess it's also kind of a habbit thing, I've had a dedicated PC as a home router since the late 1990s when web hosting was more of a do it yourself kind of thing.

Nice. Very nice.

Nice. I also need some anti-GPU-sag thing. My MSI card looks a bit banana shaped in there.

>you need a GPU brace

So where can I get one?

If you look closely you'll see that I actually hung it with a plastic strip. Instead of sagging in a downward slope it now seems to be kind of banana shaped, sagging in the middle. Not sure what to buy and how to fix this. Also, it works so I'm not sure it's the worlds biggest problem. It just looks silly.

Pic related. Same one I have in my build.
Works great. The feet are magnetic so it doesn't move around. Also can support 2 GPUs at once

AMD Phenom 9750
Radeon 7950
Eight (8) GB of Ram
Custom GPU and CPU cooling

Continuing the maymay and shitty phone pic editions.

R7 1700
16gb g.skill ripjaws V 3200
Gigabyte x370 gaming 5
2x GTX 970s

Why is Sup Forums rotating my images. God dammit.

Yeah, said in my post that I am waiting on my new sleeved cables, then I will tidy it up. As for the green SSD. Yeah, it ruins the aesthetics a bit, but I got it for a great price. So meh.

sup

> mini ITX
applel tier shit

what the fuck is going on in your machine?
>zotac heatsink ziptied the too exhaust slot
> second graphics card on some daughterboard shit with USB cables coming out
>rat's nest cables.
Sli 970s? I'm so sorry user.

this build, is off the fucking rails
i fucking love it. what are you mining user-kun?

>what the fuck is going on in your machine?

Mining, playing games...

Thanks senpai! :3

SIGT, ZEC, ZEN, ZCL... depends on who is being most profitable.

i usually just pick one and go for that hodl strat, but thats just me. usually it works out that per month im +/- 5% over dicking around with what is most profitable, and i get those sweet 7-20 day uptimes so thats cool
what cards you got there man?

Portability and miniaturisation has nothing to do with Appler's overpriced stuff.
I guess you don't like watch general either and think that everyone should just use standing clocks.

you guys are gonna hate me but it's an old HP Pavilion with a Core2 Quad. It used to have an ATI HD3650 but my exGF gave me her 560Ti when she won a 1080Ti in a giveaway.

I put 2 harddrives in it that I found in the trash, and my sisters friend gave me some ram so it's at 7 gigs. I used to play skyrim on it with that 3650. It can run oblivion on max settings now :3

Hello, I am looking for feedback on this build I put together.

This PC is for my mother. She just wants to be able to stream movies (Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc) and play flash games. I tried to make this future proof while staying on a tight budget of $700, and that's including monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

My only concern is how the AMD CPU will interact with the GeForce GPU.

Oh, I guess I had one more concern. The case only comes with 1 fan, but mounts for more. Will 1 case fan be enough airflow? I don't think this machine will operate very hot, and I am not overclocking the CPU.

And an i3 setup would be better powerwise?
Especially since you might be able to get lower noise, depending on her hearing will be something you want to go after.

I was completely confused why you would recommend an i3 over an FX but after reading that it's for his mom to watch movies on, you're totally right.

Yeah, I was initially gonna go with an i3, but figured going with the FX chip would help to future-proof a bit. She probably won't buy another PC for another 5-10 years, knowing her.

so your looking for moar cores

"""""""""""""""""" future-proof """"""""""""""""""""

You are almost better off buying her a laptop she can connect to a screen and M&K.
They even come with the Windows 10 installed.
I know it will most likely break the budget a little. But you get a complete product you can even RMA if it breaks.

Despite how much I like building desktop/server computers, laptops are just much more convenient for the normie.

I tried 5.1ghz and crashes instantly and 5ghz was the goal to begin with.

Naw this z270i by asus is virtually no different from the other varients and from OC3D review says it has slightly better OC abilities. After a few generations im putting this into a htcp anyway.

built it yesterday and forgot to delid, too lazy to do it right now but need to eventually, temps are dumb rn

Hey man, those 970s work fine for me. Except they get btfod by a 1070. Its okay, I bought one new on launch day and I got the other refurbed for $160.

When Volta comes if its worth it I'll upgrade

>bought a 7700k in 2017
you fucked up

nice maymayyy my guy

That's actually pretty embarrassing that your stock 7700k is hitting 81C under gaming load with a custom loop. I'm sure sharing the loop on a single rad with a 1080ti doesn't help. But still.

Liquid being already 61 by the time it leaves the GPU certainly doesn't help.