/pcbg/ - PC building general

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/guide/wMgXsY/modest-gaming-build
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QZtJLD
fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/focus-series/focus-g-mini
au.pcpartpicker.com/guide/wMgXsY/modest-gaming-build
pcpartpicker.com/list/ncgwBP
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

r8 and h8 my first budget build. I know it's shit but the prices in canada are pretty high. I do plan on getting a better CPU and GPU in the future.

>Ryzen 1300x
>MSI B350 Tomahawk
>GTX 1050 Ti 4gb
> 2 x 4gb ram @ 2400
>Seasonic 520w

Get non-X ryzens and OC them. Take one stick of 8gb ~3000mhz for future expandability. Buy a cheaper mobo like b350m pro-vdh, it has the same vrm as more expensive ones.

Also try to squeeze in a gtx 1060 6g and you wont need to upgrade so soon.

My old PC broke. I know that both Motherboard and GPU are broken but I am unsure about the rest.
I have around 320€ left to buy either a GTX 1060 3GB and a new PSU (EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3) or I run the risk that it was my old PSU's fault and buy a GTX 1060 6GB and keep using my old PSU.
Also for more information a 6GB would cost around 100-150€ more than a 3Gb version. I am not very experienced but I doubt that the 100€ are even worth it for the GPU upgrade not factoring in the risk I would take. Still I would like some other opinions on this.

Can you not OC the x series?

I've already bought my 1050 Ti. If it lasts me a few months, I'll be happy. I'll pick up a 1060 6gb when a sale hits (if a sale ever hits)

Actually desu, I have all those pieces on order but they haven't arrived yet. Should I just return my 1300x and 1050ti and pony up the money for a r5 1600 with 1060 6gb?

Just finished putting together my Ryzen 5 build
It seems to be working perfectly, except when I go to download large files from the internet, my computer will lock up partway through, then restart
I thought maybe my M.2 SSD was overheating/faulty and re-installed Windows on a standard platter drive, but it's still happening

Pls halp

Should I upgrade the SSD? Like this I'm on the limit of what I was willing to spend

>Crypto-miners are chewing through the 1080 Tis and 1050 Tis now

did I do gud

Yes. It's the best value/performance combo

CPU is at 4.8GHz, GPU is at 2.1GHz
Here's the SSDs

Just paid 600 Canadian rupees for a GTX 1070 because I couldn't fucking wait and had my build ready. I'll regret this when they'll revert back to 450-500. In a few months

>bought my dual-fan 1070 for $380
>It'll be one year old in a few weeks
I was hesitant to spend the extra money over a 1060 last year but I'm damn glad I did

That's $475 canadollars
Jesus Christ Canada what happened

Do you actually think they will go down in price? I also live in Canada and have been holding off because they're very unaffordable.

>tfw Canadian
>r5 1600 is $270
>1060 6gb is $400

Just camp outside of a store with a baseball bat.

Hey im the gtx 1080 windforce guy. Did anyone answer my question in previous thread?

I was wondering how much performance im missing out on by buying first batch 1080 and not spitting out more for a newer card.

You have a 1080 with adequate cooling
You aren't missing anything
Except a 1080ti

>spitting out more for a newer card
What?
It's the same GPU, a different dual-fan cooler (not newer) won't make THAT much of a difference. Now blower card vs dual fan that's an argument, but you already have one of the best priced dual-fan models
Go buy some water blocks and set up a real GPU cooling system

Its actually triple fan.
Gigabyte gtx 1080 windforce 3x OC is the full name.

Oh I thought you meant Gigabyte GTX 1080 windforce OC
Which is what I have
Why did you get a budget-oriented lineup and then choose the card that costs as much as MSI or something

Reinforcing my post - want to get it done

AMD isn't arbitrarily locking overclocking behind X series and premium motherboards. X just means it was binned higher which translates to higher potential clocks but we're talking sub 200mhz at best.

This was cheapest card in my country, cost me 450 euroshekels.

I want to do custom watercooling with the goal of it being as quiet as possible. Which pump is quieter, D5 or DDC? I'd get the PWM version for either.

for better or worse I just bought everything on this list:
pcpartpicker.com/guide/wMgXsY/modest-gaming-build

The info on shipping prices wasn't too accurate and in fact I had to pay $28 to ship the case for some stupid reason. Could anyone tell me what small upgrades I might want down the line? I know it doesn't have a ssd or GPU so thats somewhere to start. Probably more on the ssd from the small bit of knowledge I have gleamed the few days I looked into this subject. Also is there anything else I need (besides an OS) to play muh vidya? Also could anyone recommend some similarly budget/quality monitors?

Sounds like faulty RAM

SSD would be a good start.
Any quality TN panel for 200 would do fine. Research.

unpopular opinion time
everyone is really upset about prices and i get it, i really do. its the principle of it and the idea of the MSRP being so throughly raped by the retailers is nuts, but you gotta think guys, the 580 is basically a bit faster than a 290x. The 290x and 390x had a msrp of 549 fucking dollars, so even for 350 its still a better bargain. And yes i know prices came down eventually, but dont forget that they also rose all the waay to 900+, compared to the 300+ we're seeing now. It's a lot better now than it was before, same goes for nvidia.
beyond that, NO ONE is stopping you from overpaying for a card, and mining yourself to offset the diffrerence. My buddy had his old 290x mining while he was in class and asleep since decemberish of last year, and he just converted his earnings into a free upgrade to a 1700, 1080ti, 32gb build with over 1tb of ssd storage space. if you cant beat them, join them, there's no reason to bitch about the prices because of miners if you're too lazy to mine yourself and recoup some of the costs
t.someone who's mined on their personal rig since 2012, and has had plenty of free upgrades

pretty sure you're buying a used HDD (worn out by servers) if you purchase that off amazon third party

Anything against the ASUS VS248HR monitor?

Does anyone know anything about how Newegg combos work? I am seeing this mobo + rx580 combo that looks well priced and I was planning on the mobo anyways but I don't want to order it and find out that the gpu in the combo is going to take another 3 months to get to me.

nas build

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QZtJLD

plus a flash drive for os

You're good

I'm having trouble with my motherboard, it works fine but it won't detect my gpu, its an MSIZ270-A PRO. the problem is, is that the gpu is visibly running fine but my mb is not detecting it, I've tried with 2 different graphics cards but I'm still having the same problem, is my mb gpu slots fucked, or am I doing something wrong?

So whats thew deal with the 1060 3gb being aids again?

If it is not detecting your GPU, how are getting a display on your monitor? Please don't tell me you plugged your monitor into your iGPU instead of your GPU.

Which pairs better with a 1050 Ti; R3 1300x or R5 1400?

>500gb M.2 is 100e more expensive than normal SSD

Aahaha, I'll just deal with the wires.

I'll upgrade my 22 inch monitor but I don't know if I should go for 27'/1440p@60hz or 24'/1080p@144hz. I'm poor and can't afford a monitor that has both since it costs twice as much.
Furthermore, I don't think my r9 390 can handle an upgrade on both ends.

So, what should I go for if I play every games out of every genre, unless it's a movie game like witcher 3 or assassins creed?

[spoiler]Bonus points if you can help me out regarding TN/IPS[/spoiler]
[spoiler]spoiler pls work :^([/spoiler]

>[spoiler]Bonus points if you can help me out regarding TN/IPS[/spoiler]
>[spoiler]spoiler pls work :^([/spoiler]
I knew it, fuck

Am I completely retarded or does this not say anything about room for optical drives?
fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/focus-series/focus-g-mini

Well, you can see there are two 5.25" drive bays in the picture and the details mentioned using a 240mm radiator in the front requires the bottom 5.25" to be unoccupied

forgot about that, it doesn't display anything when I connect it to my monitor, yeah I plugged it into my igpu instead

Does it show up on your device manager?

Is 1.428 a fine voltage for Ryzen? I am running on the stock cooler at 3.9 GHz. Any lower volts crashes. I am idling at 45C. I am just a little afraid to push it any more

Winfag
Slit your wrists.

which nvidia GPUs are compatible with their "auto calibrate" options

also according to Sup Forums's logical instruments the 1030 is listed just 1 tier below the PS4 original GPU and several tiers above the original Xbox One GPU, meaning it should be on par with current 1080p(or 900p) console GPUs

the card only costs like $70 so is this true that you can run every game at console levels with this card?

dont tell me "but a 1060 will run it better" i know this shit

never mind, I forgot to disable onboard graphics

Card power doesn't not automatically translate to performance. Often times PC ports require higher performance cards for a large of reasons like poor porting, shody optimization etc.

Amazing.

what about the part about the cards that support the nvidia auto calibrate software

>nvidia auto calibrate software
Never heard of this shit before. What is it?

It werks.

Zawa zawa

Does ram speed matter, don't really know much about this shit.

death to libreboot

Yes for Ryzen.

Im using an i5 6600k.

what is this shitcube

7700k worth it at $300 as an upgrade over the 6600k?

Speaking of that case.
If I were to take this build
au.pcpartpicker.com/guide/wMgXsY/modest-gaming-build
And change the mini case to the full sized version would that cause any problems?

>never heard

you're supposed to be fucking pcbg

its some fucking software that only nvidia has which will auto adjust the settings in any game based on your hardware so you get optimal performance

I never got the point of mini cases.

Oh you mean the garbage that comes with Geforce experience? Yeah. I don't use that. Why the fuck would you use that when you have a good pair of eyes and can do your own manual tweaking.

How much worse are blower 1070s compared to fan? If I can get a good deal on an MSI Aero should I go for it?

My computer.

They are slightly louder and hotter, but still perfectly usable. Just don't even try to overclock them.

Blowers fans are almost always a bad idea.

to not waste time and just boot the game

i assume you dont want zfs
other that that looks good. im not a fan of cube cases so you could look at changing that. I would change the hdd to hgst nas though, they're about 60 bucks cheaper at least state side, idk about where you are

Is the corsair 600w cx better than the evga 600w bq

i would still have my 775 8600 quadcore but the RAM was staring to go and ddr2 was expensive as fuck and it was cheaper to just upgrade to haswel at the time, the on board graphics were shit tho and the main cause of my need to upgrade, so i would also need a GPU

>5-10 minutes of manual tweaking is so hard
>I rather have a software generalize what I deem is "good"
You are a fucking moron. You know that right?

you shouldn't ever consider the 1300x. either get a 1200 and overclock or a 1400 and overclock
iirc thats above the "safe overclock" voltage amd recommends
>stock cooler
oh shit user what are you doing, thats way too much voltage for that holy fuck

Good sites to find used cards?

ebay, craigslist, letgo, facebook markets, forums of your chosing in the buy/sell/trade category

i dont need to spend an hour totalbiscuiting a fucking game or looking up which 1-2 autistic
MXFAXXAAAA 16.2X settings cause the frames to drop more than others and dont actually do shit visually noticable

on the flipside which GPU will run AAA games at max/ultra at 900p without issue paired with the 4600

>An hour
God you are so fucking dumb. Go back to consoles. PCs don't suit you if you think optimizing settings takes an hour and it is autistic.

Seems like you want to be spoonfed like a babby. Go back to consoles. I heard XboneX is coming soon. Perfect for retards like you.

>an hour
It's "a" hour

If you think changing anti aliasing and shadows takes an hour then you should look at Xbox One X for that sweet totally real 4k.

Can anyone recommend the absolute cheapest SSD I can get my hands on? I just need a super small one for a boot drive.

I see there are now Chinese brands selling them on eBay, like 'Drevo', 'KingFast' and 'KingSpec', are these worth a look or is it not worth the risk? Ones by Kingston and Crucial don't seem to be much more expensive.

chinese brand kingdian is a safe bet. iirc they make a 32gb, maybe even a 16gb

go to pcpartpicker and sort by price for SSDs

Please r8 and give advice. Will be using it for live music recording
pcpartpicker.com/list/ncgwBP

You don't need a X370.
You will need more storage if you are doing music recording. And consider a DAC.

you fucking what mate

Why not an x370? Whats a DAC. im a complete novice.

Why do you need a X370 over a B350?
Do you need the extra PCIE lanes that the X370.

DAC = Digital to Analog Converter.
How can you do music recording and not know this?

Any reason to not get this?

Is there any need for a DAC if my mobo connects to a decent stereo reciever?

>live music recording
>doesnt know what a dac is
soundcloud rap faggot confirmed

Tight on space, depends on what you plan on using it for

Just this.

All the other drives at that price are either 16GB or from China.