/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/ubuntu-adding-trash-can-icon-desktop
howtogeek.com/116032/how-to-encrypt-your-home-folder-after-installing-ubuntu/
nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Startup-Files.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for Debian testing

hey that's chomsky! wonder if they got along well

sid is better

they probably argued for hours without ever talking about the same thing

omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/08/ubuntu-adding-trash-can-icon-desktop

trying to install arch on a vm, using syslinux for the bootloader
when I boot it just gives me Booting... and doesn't ever do anything else

/fgt/ — Friendly GNU Thread when

that's the syslinux.cfg file btw

Linux a gay
G A Y
A
Y

Use GRUB like any other normal person.
Use systemd-boot if you have an UEFI motherboard.

For a beginner programmer, is there a difference in using GCC 6 or 7 and Python 3.5 or 3.6? I really want to get my feet wet in Linux and programming and I'm looking for an appropriate distro to do so. Debian was the easiest to set up to my liking but it offers older packages. I tried Fedora 26 too, but something about it didn't seem right..

nah, not a meaningful difference in those things

So I installed Nix onto Ubuntu.
Then I used the command:
nix-shell -p freecad
What is going on? Is it installing freeCAD in nixos? so if I run FreeCAD it would run through ubuntu in nixos, or would it just install normally in Ubuntu and Nix is just fixing whatever broken packages there might be.

REEEEEEEE

Open up Synaptic Package Manager, Edit - Fix Broken Packages.

Presuming that goes off without a hitch, it's now time to fix the dependencies. Reopen terminal, and sudo apt-get install -f

Let me know how it goes.

Is a 10GB partition enough for Ubuntu if I don't want to make it my main OS (that's still Windows 10) but rather install it so I can boot into it every once in a while and see what it's like to use it for a change? LibreOffice, Firefox (yeah, I know) and other basic stuff is pre-installed anyway. I wouldn't need to install anything, except maybe MonoDevelop and codecs for audio/video files.

FYI, I have an 128GB SSD drive in my laptop. I could make it maybe 15GB but not more.

Also, I like the look and feel of Gnome better than Unity. Do you install software on Ubuntu Gnome in the same way is in Unity?

Minimum requirements are 5GB. That said, you could also just use a flash drive, and boot from that, without having to partition anything. That way, if you wind up liking it, you don't have to go and reconfigure everything again.

Ive seen people suggest encrypting Linux partitions if youre dual booting with Windows. Yay or nay? Would you want to encrypt only root partition or every partition? Does it negatively affect performance?

>encrypt only root
No. Encrypt your actually sensitive data like ~/finances and ~/lolis

Personally, I wouldn't dualboot. I use Linux as my main OS, but have an iPhone that doesn't use iCloud. Windows is used in an old tower for encrypted backups to iTunes, and that's about it.

If I WAS to do it, I'd probably only encrypt the Home Folder down.

I wouldn't do more than this. It's a real pain in the ass to boot encrypt with a dual boot, anyways.

How does it encrypt the home directory when you select that? What does it use for encryption?

Presuming you're using Ubuntu, they use eCryptfs.

You can do it later, too.
howtogeek.com/116032/how-to-encrypt-your-home-folder-after-installing-ubuntu/

>check random page on ubuntu documentation
>it mentions ubuntu 9.04

That's just ridiculous. The amount of useless and old help articles for Ubuntu alone is pathetic. It also appears to have a bunch of pages for the same topic and it's just a huge mash of useless, old and deprecated advice.
Let's not even get started on the forum posts which regurgitate those exact pages.

Hmm?

Is that Synaptic Package Manager? I haven't used Ubuntu since 2006.

Did you hold back packages?
Who knows what you did to break it. That's what happens when you just blindly copy paste things expecting it to fix your problem. Obvious PEBCAK.
Just reinstall and don't do stupid things this time around.

>doesn't know the basics of installing packages
>proceeds to install nixos just because some retarded meme spouter recommended it

Is it possible to access various system settings via GUI if you only have WM like i3 installed?

You suffer from a lot of misconceptions.
Yes, it is possible. A window manager doesn't affect the software you're running at all.

If I have /home on a different partition and I want to install a different distro, all I have to do is not touch the home partition, right? No fuckery necessary?

I just dont want to install a DE and only want to use i3 but am a newfag. How can i configure settings that are usually available in "system settings" on Ubuntu based systems without terminal?

I haven't tried, but I don't see why it would.

Worst case scenario, do a backup, and give it a try, and you'll have to reinstall from scratch.

Yes, but it's stupid to keep the full files.
Different software versions can modify same config files, possibly introducing problems. Keeping around files, like inside .cache or .local can also have some unclean effects.

Backup your configs cleanly and copy them over.

If the software you install comes with a graphical settings editor, you use that. If not, you can't. Neither on your "no DE i3" or on any "DE".

Hint: when you install i3 with other utility software you are running a desktop environment. Even running "just a WM" is a desktop environment, because as soon as you have X running you're subscribing to the desktop metaphor of computing.

For that, you install just the settings part of a DE. I'm using xfsettingsd with i3 in this exact scenario. LXDE stuff is also popular for this purpose.

I've not used Linux in a few years, due to most work requiring applications I use being buggy when used with WINE or PoL. What distro is best if I am using Photoshop CS6?

Yes it is.
wtf i have to reinstall ubuntu now!

I've never encountered a situation where clicking "Fix Broken Packages" didn't work, and I fuck shit up often.

What I would do at that point is remove the broken packages, and then reinstall them.

apt --fix-broken install

Ooh. So i can just install part of the DE that configure system settings? Which ones considered the best? So DE is basically a compilation of different programs put together and configured to flow nicely between each other?

Half my terminals had blinking cursors. Was grinding my gears in the worst way. Apparently vim 8.0.0918-v8.0.0973 in urxvt leaves your terminal cursor blinking after exit, blinking, blinking, blinking. printf '\033[?12l' or upgrade to fix

:( didn't work.

Then close terminal. Open up Synaptic Package Manager, Click on the "Broken" filter on the left side of the screen.

Right click each broken package, and click "Mark for Complete Removal." (you may want to write down which packages you are removing). Then click Edit, and click on "Apply Marked Changes."

Then reinstall all packages that you removed.

1) You are a dumb shit for using ubuntu
2) You are a dumb shit for not reading the error messages your package manager spits out
3) You are the dumbest shit for executing random unhelpful commands that some retard user keeps sperging at you
what does apt-cache policy python-pivy say?

>Click on the "Broken" filter on the left side of the screen.
There are zero broken packages. If I mark freeCAD for installation only then it appears in broken packages but I can't remove it because it is not installed.

python-pivy:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 0.5.0~v609hg-3.1
Version table:
0.5.0~v609hg-3.1 500
500 nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages

holy shit I fucking did it. successful void linux install. god I love computers this shit is so satisfying. fuck scrot have a phone pic

void linux has a tui setup - what was so hard?

I know you can have i3 open certain programs in a floating window by default, but is there any way to specify it from the command line as a one time thing?
I'm running a script from w3m to wget Sup Forums threads without having to copy the link and move to a new window, but it seems my options are limited to either having the scripts run on top of w3m (annoying when the connection gets randomly slow), or opening a new terminal running the script there, which steals my focus in an annoying way and screws with the layout temporarily.

Hi,

I defined and saved an environment variable in my /etc/profile file. Due my limited understanding the command >echo $VARIABLE< should work immediatelly after opening a new terminal window. But the command only works after I typed "sourced" the file >source .../profile

Dunno what to tell you. I can tell you that freecad isn't broken.

So try install python-pivy that might make it give you a more meaningful error message than just "is not going to be installed".

>/etc/profile
That's the system-wide file. I'm assuming here, but you probably want ~/.profile.

>/etc/profile
>should work immediatelly after opening a new terminal window
Wrong. That is only read for login shells. And learn to delimit code you fuckwit. Angle brackets have an actual meaning in shell code.

> fixed some mistakes.

Hi,

I defined and saved an environment variable in my /etc/profile file.
I thought the command should work immediatelly after opening a new terminal window. But the command only works after I "sourced" the file by typing .
What am I missing and how can I fix it? Thank you sooo much, trying to fix it since hours.

>
This was the first file I edited but it didn't work at all.

Yeah I will. I am new here and new to Linux, but you guys convinced me to give it a try.

Do you have any advice for my question maybe?

I just checked it out. Freecad is in alpha, from what I can tell. Might just be that your specific system can't run it for any number of reasons. My wife can't run brave on her elitebook for this reason.

If you're just setting a variable, do it in your shell's configuration file. ~/.bashrc or ~/.shrc or whatever-the-fuck.

gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Startup-Files.html
TL;DR: Use ~/.bashrc

Thx, will read and think about it.

Just out of curiosity, are you on the latest stable ubuntu release and latest stable kernel?

At this point, I'm literally spitballing.

I am not setting just any variable. I am trying to set the $GOPATH variable of golang.

>sid is better
why would it be better

DEFAULT s
PROMPT 1 # Set to 1 to always display the boot prompt
TIMEOUT 50

LABEL z
MENU LABEL Linux Zen
LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux-zen
APPEND root=/dev/sda1 rw radeon.dpm=1 modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr init=/usr/bin/runit-init
INITRD ../initramfs-linux-zen.img

LABEL s
MENU LABEL Linux LTS Systemd
LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux-lts
APPEND root=/dev/sda1 rw radeon.dpm=1 quiet modprobe.blacklist=pcspkr init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
INITRD ../initramfs-linux-lts.img

it should be but depends on what you plan to install later on, that where your programs go later on so you'll have about 4 for your shit. 15 would be better because ubuntu used about 6 iirc, you may be able to make apt-get install put them somewhere else but why trouble

yes ubuntu wiki is a pain to browse and out of date if the page even exists, they rely on ask ubuntu and the forum afai see

thank pricks for arch wiki - the only easily accessible and up to date actual wiki

something like arch with current stable upstream versions, debian testing, openpepe or fedora idk

>xenialoverlay
The fuck? Are you on ubuntu phone? I don't know enough about ubuntu to know what's up with that shit but you can try opening up sudo aptitude and seeing if that has any resolution options that result in freecad being installed.

>why would it be better
Use your imagination. Does testing even have bash 4.4 yet?

Which partition scheme and bootloader mode should I prefer for universal usb flash with ganoo/loonix?
I need it to be able to boot properly on older machines but also to boot in uefi mode if machine supports it.
Is it something like mbr partition table with dual grub?

Why didn't you faggots just tell me I had to restart the OS.

reeeeee

Why in the fuck wouldn't that have been the first thing you did?

Fedora or Debian to set up a TWM system (like i3 or whatever)?
I tried Debian already but I was wondering if the Fedora grass is greener.

i looked through packages debian.org some weeks ago and testing and sid had the same versions for the most part (if not all) so ye i dont see any point in using sid on ma desktop instead of testing

Fucking milenials

Dude, I was born in 86. Technically millennial. Don't stick me with that shit. I started with Windows 3.1.

This is some GenZ shit.

What's the recommended lockscreen?

Oh nvm. I was thinking of experimental. For instance qt5.9 vs 5.7

Then act your age and ditch this shitty entitled attitude. You have the official documentation on your system and it was linked to you.

Not who you were responding to. Millennials know how to handle this kind of shit. This has to be GenZ.

slock

oh really? Because I was so close to installing windows.

Yes I downloaded the 16.04.3 LTS iso from their website this morning

Ok I used aptitude to purge all the "obsolete" packages except for firefox nightly.

Thank you all for your help.

>Yes I downloaded the 16.04.3 LTS iso from their website this morning
What about the kernel? I'm on 4.12.9 and it works.

Kernel: 4.10.0-32

>package manager complains about minor difference in QT library versions
>Uhhh, maybe try upgrading your kernel?

>52.1
lmao.. just install firefox

Yes, although some DEs are more rigid and ask you to install a fuckpile of dependencies if you want any part of it

try asking your package manager to install konsole or any kde software and see what happens

The fact that you think a simple GNU/Linux install is at all difficult is really, really sad.

I'm just getting started with Ubuntu. So far I've just been trying to familiarize myself with keybindings and terminal navigation and use.

Up to this point I've only installed ranger (along with a few of the suggested packages) and i3. What media players would you guys recommend? On Windows, I used foobar, honeyview and MPC.

Also I'm not ignoring the installgentoo and archlinux wiki's. I'm using both but I'd appreciate an opinion from you guys as well.

mpv for video, compile it yourself for extra points (because the ubuntu package is, as always, incredibly out of date)

there are tons and tons of music players though, and it's very much personal preference
I went through qmmp, clementine, rhythmbox and they all had some quirk or other that didn't fit me
using deadbeef now and no complaints so far

I've noticed mpv is really popular. That'll definitely be the first one I try.

Never heard of deadbeef but I'll look into that one too, thanks.

One last question, though: I've a windows partition on this PC as well. What's the best way to access it from ubuntu/linux in general? Is it better to just mount the two? Should I use a server/network share? What's easiest?

Best distro for a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200?

do some distros offer different/higher wine support than other? what should i pick if i have a lot of programs that are not compateble with linux and i need to run them through wine?
new to linux

What is a better base/netinst distro, Debian or Fedora, and why?

Don't answer this question. I'm a retard.

Are you using VirtualBox? If so, go to the Arch wiki page for VirtualBox to see how to fix the VirtualBox-specific issue with booting.

Why do you even have multiple partitions?

If you only encrypt home, you can end up with revealing cache and log information saved unencrypted elsewhere.

Is there a utility similar to CCleaner for Linux that would look through the ~/.cache folder and figure out what can be deleted?

I like Dolphin's folder image previews.

It needs antialiasing, though.

Is linux mint good for nongeek user using computer only for watching videos, surfing on internet and doing something on libre office?

I plan to install these distro on my family member's computer who uses computer only for that and doesent have any OS on CD or DVD

bleachbit

What other fm's do this?
Not installing 300mb and 128 deps just for image previews