/tpg/: ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Thinkpad Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA5HA4AW3955
marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html.
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any options on HP elitebook 8560w?

First for superior xx30 series and xx30 owners who aren't brainlet that can use soic clips

T450s > X220 > T420

It's good

Budget: 400 ausbux

want: quadcore, SSD

uses: linux machine

>ULV
>permanently locked down bios
>wifi card whitelist
>battery drm
OP image should be laughing at you not the xx30s

I find the keyboard and trackpoint really bad. But the screen is really good, and the 4/8 cpu is nice. But then again, it's not really portable (in my opinion)

>ULV
13 hours battery life

>permanently locked down bios
Not a problem

>wifi card whitelist
Problem why?

>battery drm
Poor? Knock-off batteries are usually worse anyway.

You're retarded. Enjoy being unable to install a new wifi card in the future when new standards will come out.

As for battery drm, it affects the usability of the laptop in the future, when you won't be able to get genuine batteries that are usable.

W520

>Not a problem
>Problem why?
kek

I'm going to study compsci at uni, and need some advice. I currently have a pc(pic related) that is pretty capable. I'm going to keep it, but need a laptop. I was initially thinking of spending like 1000 for a dell inspiron, or dell xps. Then I thought maybe I can do gaming and heavy use on my desktop, and get a thinkpad for uni. Now I don't think I want something like a t420. I want something newer, yet with the same advantages that the t420 has over the modern overexpensive unreliable laptops. I like the modern look(the one after t430), and as I'm going to use it a lot, I don't think it's worth buying, for example, a t420 and have the cdrom and bulkiness as extra weight. Location is Netherlands, any recommendations?

>have the cdrom
Well ultrabay can fit other things as well, you can use it for an additional battery or to put another SSD or a hard disk in.

the computer you have doesn't' matter at all.

some of the best code i have ever written was on a macbook pro

X260

>Wxxx
Hahahahahahahahaha

Compensating for something, little boy?

compensating for a lack of a proper display and quadcore you dumb weeabo

x series. You not need something more when you're studying CS.

This image confuses me, what the fuck is better about T420s compared to T430's (aside from dankness)? is this just a meme?

>a meme image makes me angry and confused
wew lads

How's x220? I can get that or t420 for similar price, about 40 eur more for t420.

Have we reached a definitive answer to the x220 vs x230 argument

yeah that's pretty good. though that was an example, i don't like the bulkiness itself.

I see. but because it will be the main laptop I use, Im going to use it for general purposes, like media. so 1080p is nice as well. And for this, maybe a T is better than a X.

I don't know if I want a small screen, as I want to use it for media consumption as well. The 260 and 250 are >600 euros here, so I'm looking at the x240. Though maybe too small.

flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA5HA4AW3955

About to pull the trigger, am I overpaying?

Not buy the x40, the trackpad is really really bad.

>I don't know if I want a small screen, as I want to use it for media consumption as well.
what about a T440p or a T450?

Autism

At least this one isn't overpriced. When I was looking around on Allegro, I found listings with fidget spinners, but they were overpriced.

who here T520?
best thinkpad

Don't buy x240, I regret every money.
Thing that I dislike most are :

>trackpad is really weird and annoying

It needs time to accustom but why would you need that if you are going to spend more money

>very thin it feels like you can bend over and damage motherboard every seconds

>it is very hard to open it and if you are not careful you can break case plastic

I spend hours and hours with frustation to open it properly so I could put SSD.
I was fucking scared every moment that being clumsy, will break something.
When I finally opened it, I need to hassle with cable and shit and honestly I am scared that I fucked up or something these days.

>shitty processors compared to x230 and x220 processors.Even i7 version of x240 is very shit

good thing :
Battery life and it looks modern.

I put this shit on auction and waiting somebody to buy this shit so I can buy comfy x230 or t430

Should I get a C201 chromebook. been on a librebooted x200 for a while now but think extra processing power will be nice, dunno if I can do 2GB of ram though.

>chromebook
>16GB emmc storage
that's so sad it's not even funny anymore.

>Same processor as T series
>Gayass faggot design
>Screen size for gayass faggots
>pay more like a gayass bitchboy

find me a T520 with a 2820QM and similar display then

>Gayass faggot design
>Screen size for gayass faggots
they're identical really

Should I buy T470 / L470?

Should I have any security concerns in flashing a custom BIOS on my x220? I want to remove the WLAN whitelist

Yes

no

How come?

then dont do it fag

>he took for 4chin seriously
>facebook

I just realized I took apart an x61t and replaced the fan a few months ago with a pre-owned replacement part, but I never did apply thermal paste to the fan, where would I apply it and do I need to do that necessarily? It runs warm but not incredibly hot with the fan as is.

Been using my comfy x200 for about a year now and looking to add to the collection. Looking to a T60 or T61 thoughts?

A little.

I got a T420 and I'm confused about the fan noise it's generating. I had another 420 in the past and the fans made barely any noise, this one sounds like they're constantly spinning at high speed. My temps are at 40 celsius or ~100f so should it really be this loud

Did you take off the heatsink/heat pipes for the CPU? The copper shit connecting the mobo and the fan. If not, you don't need to apply thermal paste, as it goes between the CPU and the heatsink.

>15-in IPS screen with a resolution of 1400x1050
>i7-7700HQ CPU
>up to 32 GB DDR4 RAM
>all in a T60 chassis

THANK YOU, BASED CHINA
FUTURE SUPERPOWER

Fan's probably going. Replace it, and see if the problem persists.

ITT:
>3rd worlders

Actual white men just buy a new MacBook Pro.

Excuse me what?

Are the chinks finally making replacement mainboards for older stinkpads?

Nah, not compatible with my uni's software.

What ThinkPad(s) do you use regularly?

What? Boot camp exists.

P40 Yoga, because I'm and the wacom stuff was needed. I talked myself out of an X220 or X230 tablet because I didn't know it was a thing on those platforms.

I also have a T410 at home for hobby shit

But it doesn't have wacom touch and gestures and such. Plus, it's an unserviceable piece of shit that barely functions beyond a browserbox

Yes. They are also selling them with the modified chassis for the new I/O ports.

None, because they're the worst locked down hardware you can buy.

Where? I've tried googling it, and nada. Spoonfeed me.

I'm pretty sure I did do that, but the old part may have already had thermal paste if that was the case, I don't know.

Yes. I'm looking into these now. There's a couple t440p's used (2years old) here going for 300euro. I can buy that amd upgrade to ips 1080, maybe ssd amd cpu later. Would that be a good idea?

There's also a t450 going for 450euro(used).

If temps aren't shit, don't worry about it.

Does anyone know if x220 and x230 have the same nipple? x230 nipple feels different but that might just be because it is newer...

Budget: 2500 NOK

Want: , SSD, IPS, prefferably quad core

Uses: student machine, also some gaymen

Dont mind if its used

How's X1 Carbon? Is it overpriced? Can I get the same performance from previous models?

>Norway
If you can find one, an X220 with an i7. It's a 2c/4t model, but 4 core, IPS and SSD are impossible to find together for 2500 crowns

X1c is a poor choice. Get something else.

pretty much described the t440p there, except for the gaymen part

Any recommendation?

W520 with an eGPU will cost less and perform as well if not better.

how much is that in non-monopoly money?

Which one, though?

About $320 US.

Is there something wrong with the IPS panels for the x220/x230? I was thinking about getting one but if they have issues I don't mind the standard TN panel.

They're fine. Normal IPS panels, AFAIK

I kept hearing they have some kind of burn-in issue, something to do with eye strain or something so I was curious.

Only thing I can find is backlight bleed.

way better than regular panels tho

Where do I find a genuine X300 battery? Should I buy if the location is China on ebay? Location irrelevant, I always pay heaps for shipping

has anyone here used a libreboot service on ebay?

>Lenovo X131e

Found one on craigslist for 150 bucks, I have been looking for a small laptop, is it a good buy or no? I looked at recommended list in OP, but no mention of it.

150 bones for a USED chromebook?
No.

Go on Ebay and get a T410 or something for the same price and enjoy a good laptop.

The XX30 series is ok.
The battery life on the XX40 series is nice.
I have 5 T420 machines and don't use them much anymore.
It's ok once you configure the driver settings. Not really useful for much more than surfing Sup Forums in bed though.
Didn't know these went for that much, I have two I'm not even using.
I have a W530, it's pretty ok.
I use my W530 probably the most. The T420 might be second.

thoughts on t450?

Not op, but looked it up. Look up T70 and x62 thinkpads. It is a group in china who basically sell their own motherboards with souped up specs with the option of chasis and other shit. They go around 800-1000 dollaroos though so noone here will buy one.

x220

gay ultrabook thing with shitty soldered ulv processor

What Sup Forums take on the x240?

Any replacement suggestion? currently using T410 (with lot of extra battery) and it's start to showing it's age.
Budget: 500-600 USD.
Job: Wild life macro photographer.
Or should i wait for raven ridge?

xx40 line were just garbage.

fully loaded t440p

>Spoiled by widescreen 1080 screens
>Can't go back to 4:3
I am sad

I got a thinkpad that came pre-installed with Windows 10. Going to get rid of it, but something I noticed is that whenever I press the mic muting button, it won't light up. It should have that orange light when it's turned off, just like the sound button. So is Windows 10 really that much of a spyware trap that it just won't let you turn the mic off at all? Or maybe the light is just broken

The light is probably broken. Try it before boot or in the bios.

Will an i7-940xm work in a T410? I asked the question two threads ago and got no response. I just need to know if it is too much of a nuclear reactor to work.

Is the Alienware still the best panel for a T420?

How do I get these chinamen to send me the exact panel instead of inferior "100% compatible" version?

Go over to China and threaten them physically to sell you the right panel.

Picked up my X240 meme a day or two ago. So far so good, the clickpad is pretty damn shit and I'm kinda triggered by the FN button being where the left CTRL should be in my opinion (leftmost corner on the bottom) but otherwise it feels nice.

non-permanent burn-in, at least on my x230t. Starts just 25 seconds after trying this: marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html. But I got used to it. My 2570p LCD looks pretty bad next to it.

$360
Will use for giving presentations/document editing at work and browsing Sup Forums on the couch. Already have a good desktop for any heavy computing. Looking for something portable, not sure if 12" is too small though. Good buy?

You can switch FN and CTRL in BIOS
Go for it. Most "small" notebooks nowadays are around 11-13" so yeah