GPD Pocket

Can someone please talk me out of getting this.

It has been on my mind since I saw it. While I do need a laptop, before I saw this thing I was going to get a used Windows 7 laptop from the late 00s or early 10's for around $150.
The gpd pocket is around $500.
Almost any laptop can handle what I would mainly use it for (Web surfing, media consumption, light image editing and creation, maybe a little audio editing, and light gaming) but I know of none that are so ultra-portable and sleek.

What are your thoughts on this thing and laptops in general?

This is a meme.

Its great build quality and its a cool form factor but it will end up collecting dust within the week

I'm more interested in knowing what the fuck this game is.

I'm in the same boat as you. I really want a true pocket PC with modern specs. Just trying to convince myself not to buy one.

>inb4 get a vaio

What makes you think it will end up collecting dust?

Family guy pinball

Almost bought it but stopped myself. shit processor, shit keyboard, and the marketing made me really suspicious.

The hardware is shit, the cooling is shit, the keyboard is shit
For each reason people come up with to get this thing, there's literally a dozen much better alternatives

How/why is it shit?
What are the better alternatives?

Is it a programming device?
The keyboard is shit, and you'd need a bigger one with a better layout
Is it a media consumption device?
Then get a tablet for 8% of the price
Is it a gaming device?
No, it is not a gaming device
Is it a Facebook machine?
Well then you don't need to drop $600 for that

From the reviews I have seen the cooling works fine.
I will agree about the keyboard.

If you want this to play family guy pinball then just get a fucking nvidia Shield

>Did not read the full post
Op said what he would mainly be using it for.

Ok fine
>Is it for image editing and gaming?
It's gonna be trash-slow editing and probably gonna max out at family guy pinball, buy a 13" laptop with a real CPU
>is it a Facebook machine?
yes, and basically 100% of tablets are exactly as "sleek" for a fraction of the price, even if you included a keyboarded tablet cover/sleeve

>No, it is not a gaming device
It has similar specs to the gpd win, which was designed for portable gaming.
I think the pocket can handle [i]light[/i] gaming.

>with a real CPU
Define real CPU.

Find an HP Stream 7 on eBay for $30 if you want a shitty Atom-based Windows machine. You can play shitty games on that with a Bluetooth controller and they get modest battery life browsing.

A Thinkpad X220/X230 has better I/O, a better keyboard, a more powerful processor, and has upgrade options.

Only reasonable use is if you do on-site tech support and don't want to lug around even a small laptop.

Otherwise, it's a $500 Facebook machine and completely pointless unless you have a lot of disposable income and don't care about blowing it on whatever. Windows tablets can provide the same functions and probably use Linux if you'd rather.

Get a laptop and a Xbox one controller.

Not him, but I assume not atomshit.

How heavy are thinkpads you mentioned?
How is their durability?

If they are portable enough they just might fit my need for a laptop, just in not as cute a package as the pocket.

I really wish this thing was just slightly bigger. It's a no brainer. Make it 8-9 inches so it can have a decent keyboard, decent cooling and battery life and that's it

>GPD Pocket
>$495.99

lol fuck that

someone here stated xiaomi announced something in the same formfactor. I haven't been able to find a source for this.
anyone?

I too am wondering this.

About 3 pounds.
I guess about average durability for a laptop.

I don't think they released it or are even close to releasing it yet. That is why info ia hard to come by.

That is a bit heavy but at around $200 it is both cheaper and the specs are better.

I think I will get a Thinkpad X230 for now and see if that works.
If it is too cumbersome I will either see if a Windows tablet fits my needs.

Thank you good Sup Forumsentlemen.
You guys have saved me from wasting $300 dollars

What if I do a ton of traveling by bike and every pound counts (which is both why I need a laptop and why such a small formfactor appealed to me)?
Also I don't use Facebook.

Anyway I am already going for something else, so it doesn't matter at this point.

Wait for raven ridge from AMD. Rumour they will have 5-15W TDP SKUs and bring back UMPCs back from the dead.

>there's literally a dozen much better alternatives
please enlighten us?

Interesting
Well I found something to tide me over until it comes out. If the weight of the ThinkPad gets on my nerves at that point, I know what to upgrade to.

That is if it is utilized well and meets expectations. Plus there is no guarantee that they'll put it in a form factor that you will actually like.

That is true plus the likely price is a issue to.

>tiny backspace key
>MASSIVE del key

I swapped these with autohotkey.

just get an Nvidia shield tablet and controller for $300 and use it to stream games from home

Windows tablet with a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard cover?

>that keyboard size
Must be cool to be a manlet and being able to use memetic tech.

Get a Thinkpad X220 install GNU/Linux

GPD is novel and all, but really not practical. Unless you literally have money to throw away you would be much better off getting a laptop with actually utility.

>not just saying memetech

Just get a surface pro they are dirt cheap and screen is a lot better but not as portable

>surface pro
aren't those ARM based, meaning you get a crippled version of Win that won't even run winrar?

Surface Pro = x86
Surface RT = arm

It runs full windows 64 bit, comes with an intel i5 1.7ghz

Oh OK, my dad got one and asked me to install winrar and I just couldn't because ARM based. I just assumed all Surface were.

In the first Gen they had the Surface and the Surface Pro.

The Surface did have ARM and it sucked, bad. Now MS has the Surface which uses an Intel M chip for their lowend and the Surface Pros still use Intel i series processors.

I really doubt such a set up would work out well.
My experience with tablets are that they are either cheap and shit at everything or expenses , overly large, and fragile.
I don't think a tablet can fill the role of even a ultra mobile computer.

>CTRL key not on bottom left

What tablets and keyboard covers would you recommend?

it's ugly. just wait for xiaomi or someone to make one.

You have a strange idea of what dirt cheap means.

No it isn't.
It is very cute.

it looks like a tablet awkwardly attached to some shitty chink keyboard because that's what it is.

>Walk into a brick and mortar store
>try typing on one of the smaller laptops
>enjoy fucking up every other keystroke
>Then imagine typing on an even smaller keyboard
There, I just saved you 500 bucks or however much these cost.

Looking to use his to replace my phone. Think it'll work for that?

>buy surface pro 1 or 2 for 200 bucks minimum
>windows only, 4gb ram
>have to buy clunky power cover to get more than 2 hours battery life
I fell for that meme user. It was worth having a pro 1 with battery cover, pen, and screen protector for those 2 or 3 years. Not anymore. I own a regular surface 3 now and even that is a piece of shit if you try to run windows 10 on it (you have to run windows 10 on it).
The pocket is probably worth if if you have e the cash and will really need it in your pocket, but I would just recommend getting a gdp win with a bluetooth keyboard or a really small chromebook and installing Linux on it.
Gpd is confirmed making a second iteration of the win and pocket tho so maybe wait a year and the decide if you want to drop on it

Not like my baste thincpad.

For what op wants to do the nuvision tm800w610l can probably just barely fill those needs for under a hundred dollars. All while being just as portable.

It looks like a mini macbook to be honest.
At least aesthetically speaking.

Don't get why you hate the clean aluminum look.

I don't think that thing can handle image editing, but other than that I agree.

Is that UMPC thread?
Can I buy UMPC for $50?

Hey, that's pretty cool.

smol

hi wiz

>Intel atom

What do you need all that performance for?

That keyboard is going to give me nightmares.
It ruins the entire aesthetic.
Wait for them to fix it.

Get a GPD win for 300. I rarely use mine for gaming as I have no time but the processor actually is just barely good enough. Most of the time it is hooked up to my tv and I use a wireless keyboard and trackball mouse but it will be nice to have when I travel

Less ram and storage but same processor and just as portable for a fraction ($80) of the cost.
I might pick this up instead of the ThinkPad to see if it fits my needs. But I would need a stand, keyboard, and mouse to use it how I want to. Also a maybe a case or protective pouch so it doesn't get banged up in my bags.

What do you guys think?
Suggestions on a cheap wireless Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

Would be cool if you rotate it and use it like a tablet with a stylist

I know what you mean.
Lot of odd choices including offsetting the home row to fit a unnecessary cap lock, and that they did with the backspace and del key.
You would probably end up getting a Bluetooth keyboard for it, at which point you may as well get a tablet.

Don't they make tablets with similar specs for way less money?
Just get one of those and a better keyboard.

Anyone?

I think he's mostly looking for something that can run desktop applications. The pocket has its niches, but it'd have to be something really specific to be worth the price tag. Maybe if your job requires you to be extremely mobile, and you don't want to lug around a backpack, but you need access to a full pc. For most entertainment purposes anything I can think of is better served by a tablet or the gpd win.