/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Other urls found in this thread:

dustinhome.no/product/5010958443/neyc3-power-switch-kit-white
m.ebay.com/itm/433Mhz-Superheterodyne-3400RF-Transmitter-and-Receiver-Kit-For-Arduino-ARM-MCU-/121597448874
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/#beta-channel
virustotal.com/pt/file/c9edacad5991dc3571e15ce507780d216575e8ce63250d133be5e037768046c3/analysis/
wiki.lineageos.org/devices/pme/install
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

how about you make this thread when you actually want to ask something?
why does it need to be up

luddite here

what is the difference between C and C++?

basically C++ is built on top of C and can do lot of stuff C can't

I was about to make it myself.
After reading some comments here I decided to compile my own Openwrt image [or lede, whatever you want to call it].
What are the Sup Forums's MUST packages, besides dnscrypt?

unbound
dnssec
squid

could you give me an example? not trying to be a cunt, genuinely curious

What kind of fancy ass router do you have that can run squid?

just bought a macbook pro 2017, should I buy a case and a screen protector? should the screen protector be glass or just something matte to protect from fingerprints?

Is there a good Arch installation guide for idiots like me? Every one I find with a quick search is shit.

>protect from fingerprints
The glass is made to have fingerprints on it

help
how can I fix it?

fix what?

C++ is built on top of C, but both languages can have programs do the same things. It's just that C++ is far more convenient than C, because it has many features that C does not. The difference is for the programmer and not the end users.

You see, there is something called Turing completeness (Turing equivalence). If two languages are both Turing complete, then they are equivalent in what they can express. That is, programs written in either language can do the same things. There is no program one language could express that another couldn't.

Programming languages are Turing complete, which means that they can end up doing the same things.

There is a difference in practice though - some languages are faster than others, which means that there can be practical limitations as to why one language can fulfill a role and another can't.

Another difference, probably the biggest one, is the amount of libraries and resources available. C++ has an extensive standard library and a whole bunch of freely usable libraries that help make whatever application you want to. Languages like C have a lot less as far as that is concerned.

tl;dr it's mostly about developer convenience. C++ is easier and faster to write for the developer than C.

luddite here

how do you read portage block errors?

thanks for the comprehensive answer user

what's the best wireless card (5ghz) for the thinkpad x220?

can someone redpill me on why the BIOS of my HP Laptop from 2016 can't recognize my new HD, but my Compaq Presario shitbox desktop from 2009 can?

how can i make it recognize it? i literally cant do anything in the BIOS because the advanced options are hidden.

Trying home automation. Bought some sockets which work on the 433MHz RF (433.92MHz), but the receiver on the PI doesn't register any signals from the socket remote control when I press buttons, so I'm getting nowhere fast.

Sockets:
dustinhome.no/product/5010958443/neyc3-power-switch-kit-white

RF transmitter and reciever:
m.ebay.com/itm/433Mhz-Superheterodyne-3400RF-Transmitter-and-Receiver-Kit-For-Arduino-ARM-MCU-/121597448874

"R" in pic related is how I've connected it to the Raspberry Pi 2 B.

I've installed rpi-rf through pip and this is the command I use to listen:
rpi-rf_receive -g 17

The goal is to figure out what the remote control is sending, then disconnect the rf receiver and connect the rf transmitter (same pins), and from there send rf signals to turn on/off my sockets.

You can always use Arch-Anywhere for a gui install. Pretty neat. Unless you actually want to learn how to manually install

UI cutting off

Hadn't heard about that, but I'd like to be able to install it completely by command line, with the partitioning and all that jazz. Also what drivers would I need to install for my Broadcom Limited BCM4313 802.11bgn wireless chipthingy?

Best torrent client for Android? I use ZetaTorrent which just werks, has a nice interface, and lets me choose which files to dl and which to ignore. But it's filled with ads, I'm sure there is something even better out there.

okay fine but what about a case? what are the good brands?

What do ebay sellers mean whey they list a "matched pair" of Xeon CPUs together?

What would be the difference between buying a matched pair of x5675's from one seller vs buying two separate x5675's from different sellers? I plan on putting them in a dual socket motherboard.

If i have a laptop with an HD4600 iGPU + 2x 1600MHz 4GB RAM sticks and upgrade them to 2x 2133MHz 4GB sticks, how much would be the increase in iGPU performance?

Nothing, it doesn't work that way.

Anyone here got void working on a t420? I can't get the installer to even boot.

What's cool stuff to do with openwrt?

the one that plugs into your ethernet port
besides, you'll need to flash the bios to change the internet wifi card and pcie cards are extremely hit and miss with gnu/linux

how do I convert a .flv file to .webm using ffmpeg without the aduio stream so I can upload it here?

audio stream*

How can I get something similar to Opera's pop-out video player in Firefox?

-an flag will remove sound

-an

I want to run a program in Wine, but when it runs it zooms in on a random spot of the screen and I can't back out of this without resetting the laptop. How do I make it so that nothing happens to the screen when I load an exe?

DW1510 will work out of the box in Windows and macOS, but throw an autistic fit on Linux because >broadcom

You'll need to flash a modded bios to remove the pci whitelist.

2 problems
1. I built an external fan with a switch on it like a basic light switch, but it for some reason when I turn it off it has like a melting metal plastic smell. What do?

2. I prev acquired 2 servers that are meant to work together, destroy the medical data and do whatever I want with them.
1 is from 2003 and the other is 2009 BUT the 2nd is the big daddy server where it has 32 gbs of ram and a xeon board or something. Forgive me for being dumb because I've never built a PC before nor do I know a lot about any parts.

What my issue with these that I was able to get the smaller PC's drives wiped but it's blinking on the front. It has 1-4 and 1 and 3 are blinking meaning a power failure which I don't know how to fix it.

Then the 2nd one I was talking about, won't let me inside cause I'm missing a key but I think that if I can get to the bios menu, I can at least load like Ubuntu but I haven't been able to do that yet cause I can't find it in the settings.

I want to clean these up to sell them if I can. BUT the server will remain with me. I want to use it to game on and I know that servers aren't meant for gaming but it's literally the best computer I've ever had. Can yall give me a hand?

I tried the /fglt/ thread, but no one responded.

I'm trying to install arch on my tablet, and i've gotten as far as the grub minimal bash. so I ran
set root=(hd0) and then tried to run linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro but i get an error unknown filesystem. Anyone know how i can load the kernel and boot into the arch live cd through the grub minimal bash?

Try setting winecfg to emulate a virtual desktop. And check appdb for that program and see if any kinder and wiser user than you already wrote about a fix.

any external media player and the "open with" firefox setting in preferences

Why does firefox not save page zoom settings at all and will a complete reinstall fix it

> can't find it in the settings
What settings? Can you set boot device priority?

unfortunately no. I found some in the deeper bios but nothing about USB or disk. Like it's nonexistent or something i dunno

Just like ram it means its been tested to work with each other

Whata the fuck are you doing?
Boot the live usb and follow the instructions.

and here's one more question I () have:
why are my torrents not seeding on Ktorrent? they worked fine on qbittorrent

You're not in the swarm long enough.
Peers have to want to connect to you, if you're not offering enough bandwidth or you're fresh in the swarm, you wont be picked up as a seed.

The tablet has an Intel Atom, which for some reason only can handle a 32-bit EFI. So i'm using that bootia32.efi file, which i presume is what's giving me the minimal bash, because normally it would never boot on the tablet.

How can I resize a bunch of images in a single directory with a single command?

imagemagick

Dumb namefag, pay attention.

Okay! But how?

Can someone explain the glow in the dark cia thing to me? I never understood this

what do you mean by "in the swarm"? under time seeded it says an hour but the up and down speeds are blank

the last thread was about to expire and pretty active, makes sense to me :^)

What's the least Pajeet way to root my Android mobile device? CLI only. I searched and couldn't find GNU/Linux methods. I'm running Parabola GNU/Linux-libre, btw.

I'm assuming I need to do an lsusb to see which USB port the device is usurping, then chroot into it? Or maybe mount an Android binary with su on it? Both?

Should it matter that I have an HTC 10? I'd love to complete this without installing any packages; just use coreutils and similar.

I'm trying to configure a 360 controller for an emulator, and whenever I press the button I want to configure on the screen, every program thinks I'm pressing a button I'm not pressing. Why the fuck is the trigger/thumbstick so sensitive and how do I make it so that it allows me to input the actual button that I want to use?

can you install a custom rom or no?

Pls respond

whats the term for a headset that displays video right into your eyes (like a vr headste without the vr)

I tried googling but cant find the term.
Kinda like HUD or something

I'm not an expert, but seems it's trying to run the file directly. Have you tried opening it with an image viewer, by right clicking?

Got 2x 4GB sticks of Kingston hyperx DDR3 1600. Total of 8GB. What's a fair price to sell this used so I can towards my 'miners fucked me over' vidya card fund? $45 too high?

Read dht swarm/node

Would a I3-4005U bottleneck a GTX 1050Ti?

$75.

HMD, head mounted display? Or just headset. Or HUD I guess. I don't think there's one real term.

meme created by Terry A. Davis, the author of the Temple Operating System. Presumably, the thought behind it is a that the CIA spies on you, and spies tend to have "glow-in-the-dark gadgets" to help them spy, so to identify a "CIA nigger, he would glow-in-the-dark, because he's a spy.

It's a leap of logic, but that's what happens when you have schizophrenia

Sell them for what you bought them plus shipping.

Thanks, HMD seems to be it.

sorry I should've made it clear I don't know what the FUCKIN_MAN.jpg file is and it's not in my Downloads folder. it must've been an old image I've downloaded from Sup Forums or something that I deleted but it still shows up in the start menu

Install the development/beta version: addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/#beta-channel
It's at the bottom of the page, v1.0.1rc0.

What? Sorry I'm new to torrenting I have no idea what that means

Well, have you tried right clicking it and delete?

I can't seem to find a clear answer on this.
If I have three disks, 2x2GB, and 1x1GB, and I use them in a ZFS RAIDZ configuration, how much space do I have? The sum of the disk sizes, or 3x the size of the smallest disk?

yes the only right-click option is open containing folder

my OS is antergos with KDE

That should be TB, btw

try antergos

lately when search for images when open them i get redirected to pinterest
they own all pic now? how do i block it? also i'm using firefox and startpage

they're probably just imges from pinterest dude

I have the same chip but switched to a distro that removes nonfree drivers, namely Parabola GNU/Linux-libre. I personally have to buy a new WLAN card, but as you have a kernel containing access to nonfree blobs, it should work by default. Do a search for bcrm or broadcom 4313 or whatever. But I suggest installing Parabola and freeing yourself.

DUUUUUUUUUUUDE

virustotal.com/pt/file/c9edacad5991dc3571e15ce507780d216575e8ce63250d133be5e037768046c3/analysis/

This isn't safe, is it?

How about cleaning out ~/.local/share/RecentDocuments/?

Wat is the best way to remove thermal paste from a CPU

70& isopropyl alcohol

I'm not sure. How would I know?

how to configure umatrix to work with Sup Forums, 4chanx and oneechan?

70%

>best
isopropyl

thanks for this amazing overview that's really well explained, I'll save this in my personal knowledge Wiki

Nope, still there.

Here are open/unlocked phones in which you can boot to recovery (might have to flash a custom one via fastboot first) and do whatever you want to your system and then there are the majority in which you have to gain root via an exploit first.

Well, then I can't help you. I only use dwm with dmenu.

C has more libraries. Just no standard library beyond libc.

Did Bakabt fix the exploit where you could copy the torrent download link, logout, and download it without it effecting your ratio? I haven't used it in several years so I'm wondering if maybe I'm just remembering it wrong

What should I name my laptop.

I was kind of asking if you were willing to install a custom rom not if you're able to. It'll basically wipe everything you have on your phone and install a custom version of android, so make sure you back everything up and export any contacts/photos you want to move over. Here's a guide to install LineageOS on the HTC 10 if you want to: wiki.lineageos.org/devices/pme/install

At the end there's an optional step that tells you to root your the device using the LineageOS su add-on, so do that to root.
You'll also have to install Google Apps on your device if you need them because it doesn't install them for you.

Ok well thanks for trying.