/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
pcpartpicker.com/list/PNZwBP
youtube.com/watch?v=B20sgr-zgj0
siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=42675162124
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is this considered a pretty regular build by today's standards?

>i5
no

There's already a thread

well it seems as if you fucked it up so delet it

Well he can't delet it but we should just use this one and let the other rot

>Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
How long?

Is 240hz a placebo meme?

>MSI Motherboard

Take a look at their BIOS and it sums the board up

Not him, but MSI in general or this Z270?

Only complaint I have with my B350 is the 15 second post time, but they're VERY slowly chipping away at it with updates.

Is
logicalincrements.com/
still a thing?

Does the falcon ever come here anymore?

Did he sell out?

Yes but it's largely outdated.

He was here a week or so ago seeking our advice.

i want to have a new fast pc even though i have no actual use case that requires it what is wrong with me

R8 and H8 H8ers

pcpartpicker.com/list/PNZwBP

It's shit

You're welcome

Also, literally heres you're (you)

I have a 390x and 1600x build but I can't decide on a new gpu

All I play ATM is siege pubg and fh3

Vega seems like a expensive flop but new drivers are said to have 18% improvement over this.

What do?

Alwo need a new screen 27" 1440 or 4k?

Reposting question from here If it helps the mobo is a X8SIL

How important is IPS for Sup Forums?

Not really worth upgrading if you aren't gonna get a 1080ti. Definitely not worth getting a vega right mow either. If the shills are roght amd drivers DO turn vega into Jesus the GPU and demand goes up and you have to pay $100 more, that's better than if the drivers more than likely don't fix it and you drop $500+ on a piece of shit.

Another plus is that I can flip a imported Newegg 1080ti here in aus and make $200+

Only case in which I'd consider a TN is if someone was throwing it away. I wouldn't pay money for one.

Should I do it?

>op sticky states no i5 unless discounted
>you picked an i5

Why?

>RX580 + 1080p Freesync monitor
>GTX 1070 + 1440p monitor with no G Sync

What would you choose?

That's cheap for aud these launched at 950iirc

>i5
You fucked up

Doesn't answer the question my gentleman

Did u not see the pubg bench? Besides I can flip my 390x for a shitload

So you want it to play pubg and you think you can defray the cost by selling your existing card?

>when your GPU runs at 2kV

Nah not just pubg

But yeah gpu prices are insane 390x here go for $500aud used on eBay because miners

>using hardware monitor

it gives me temps and that's all I need

at what level of investment in a ryzen system should I care about ram speed

I doubt you actually need 16gb ram or you even know why you even buying that much.
also
>paying for windows

I've got 32 and never use it
it was only $2/gb so it's not like I wasted money

I want to buy an SSD
Should i get SATA or M.2? Or there's no difference?

depends on your m.2
if it's pcie it's going to be much faster
some m.2 is SATA 3

extremely important since higher freq RAM is required for infinity fabric to do its work

Falcon posts on Sup Forums pretty regularly. He's a pretty cool guy. I haven't seen him in /pcbg/ for quite a while, but
It's gotta be pretty tough to keep a site like that up to date with the current market volatility.

A month to 5 years

No, but it's absolutely not worth the cost. If you've been playing counter strike at 144hz for years, you'll notice a slight difference.

Any.

Read the OP.

You know what, i just went over their current list. It's actually fairly solid. Sure, the gpu prices assume MSRP, but I understand why. The only real criticism I have is that motherboards in certain tiers are perhaps too expensive for the purpose, and the i3 in the "good" tier doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. I also think the s340 should be represented in more tiers.

youtube.com/watch?v=B20sgr-zgj0
TL;DR get 2666mhz if you can easily afford it. Get 3000mhz if you are getting a slightly pricier rig.

I know it's a bit extravagant, but i'd really love to do a build in one of these Streacom F1C cases, problem is the wisest thing to do seems to be wait for Raven Ridge, but it's awfully tempting to do the build and drop in a cheap bristol ridge APU as a placeholder.

should i get a new computer or a car?

how well does your current computer/car work?

currently have a 8320 with a 780. current car is non existent. just the cost of running a car is something ive never done before so idk if i want to.

I'd spend the money on the car. Go for something cheap
They have a sticky with great info on picking up a cheap reliable used car.

Car. Your 780 should last you a while longer at 1080p. Might be time to upgrade CPU to a cheap ryzen or coffee lake when that releases, but I don't understand how a person in an industrialized country can really function without a car, unless you are in a city and can bike everywhere.

ryzen needs the whole motherboard and ram thing, would end up being nearly a whole build anyway because i want to replace the case in particular. as for car i usually walk to work and bus to friends houses. a car would be more convenient for travel time but i dont really do much as is. i was thinking either spend a few grand on a pc or save up and get a second hand coup fir the fuel economy

cheers, i didnt realise mazdas rusted so much

>cheers, i didnt realise mazdas rusted so much
Yup. They're pretty famous for it

Is this upgrade good? from i5 2500k

Cpu: 1700X
Cpu cooler: H100i v2
MB: asrock AB350M pro4
RAM: 16gb corsair 3200mhz
PSU: corsair rm650i
Case: in-win 301

i will keep my rx480 and storage that i have currently.

I would go for an MSI B350 Tomahawk motherboard. Looks good otherwise.

Motherboard must be matx for the case i want.
The MSI boards i looked at does not have full vrm cooling.

Figure out your budget, you need fuel to run it, insurance, servicing, maybe parts among other stuff.

>Motherboard must be matx for the case i want.
MSI B350M Mortar then

How much hassle is delidding a 7600K? Do you just pop the cap off, clean the toothpaste out, apply some CLU to the die then stick the cap back on, or am I missing something?

2k for pc or 1000n +3000 where n is the weeks if i go for a car. fuel parts and insurance i guess yeah. insurance seems so expensive cause of my age though

Those are all really expensive parts. Are you going for maximum nice-ness? Or do you just want a simple performance boost?
Because if you wanted to cut costs, I would suggest going with a ~$45ish air cooler, 3000mhz cheaper memory, and a power supply that doesn't cost $120 dollarydoos. (i'm very partial to my EVGA GQ, or Corsair RMx series if you must go with that brand). Theoretically the X ryzen has a little better chance at the silicon lottery, so you actually are paying for performance there.

>having a 7600K

On a real note, here.
siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/delid?variant=42675162124
Have it professionally done. Doing it yourself can break it.

Is it ok to just get 2400 RAM with an R3-1200 and try to overclock it to 2667~, or should I pony up for the faster stuff? I know Zen scales its inter-CCX bus directly with RAM speed and the difference is stark, but it seems ridiculous to spend more on RAM than on my CPU.

fuck off shill

see
2666 seems to be the sweet spot for ryzen. Overclocking a 2400 kit to 2666 shouldn't be too much of a hassle, but it's not guaranteed, especially with zen. But ram prices are kind of insane, and you're already in r3 budget range. I say buy the 2400.

If I were a shill, I'd have told you to delid the CPU yourself, break it, and then shift to a Ryzen platform,
Which is still an option btw.

i am accusing you of shilling for that garbage delidding service; damaging your cpu during delidding requires one to have steel rebar lodged in their skull or perhaps no brain matter at all, it is not dangerous.

>requires one to have steel rebar lodged in their skull
So. How is it texting from an OR?

I want a good build that has a small neat case, that can have gpu + my asus essence stx soundcard.
this 2500k computer lasted like 6 years!
price doesnt matter much.

do the higher ram speeds improve the serial performance or what exactly? because single thread is important to me, that's why I'm getting the 1200 and not bothering with a 1400 or 1600.

Not important enough to shell out for a 7700K or paying $700 for a kit of 7ghz DDR4, mind you, but important enough that I'd like to get the best ST out of these budget-end Zen parts that I can.

I need a suggestion for an upgrade. I currently have x2 Radeon HD5870 in crossfire but their age is starting too feel. I remember when they costed about 200-400$ but now are just a relic.

What should I upgrade with? Is it even worth to try the 3-way crossfire?
As CPU I've an AMD FX8350 so bottlenecks shouldn't be really a problem.

reason why i looked at the asrock AB350M pro4 is that it has 1x pcie slot for soundcard above the 16x slot, so the soundcard wont get in the way for the gpu cooler.

crossfire isn't worth it now because so few games actually support SLI or crossfire.
CPU-wise, the ones to go for now are either the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (6 core, 12 thread) or the AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (8 core, 16 thread)
GPU-wise, you may want to wait a bit. AMD cards are WAY overpriced at the moment due to miners.
motherboard-wise, a $100 B350 board is the sweet spot for Ryzen. B350 supports overclocking butu the $100 price point is the golden spot features-wise.

>do the higher ram speeds improve the serial performance or what exactly?
They improve multicore performance due to lower CCX-to-CCX latency and higher bandwidth. Shouldn't make any difference for single-threaded applications.

but there's tons of benchmarks showing the ram speeds affecting max fps in games like csgo which is a strictly ST scenario

Increasing RAM speeds increase RAM performance
More news at 11

I just recently bought (~1 year) an ASUS Sabertooth 990FX with the said processor so at least another couple of years before going to upgrade it. GPU's are the pressing point right now. Any good ol'gen alternatives?

Also I though that after ASIC hardware for bitcoin mining on desktop died.

>Any good ol'gen alternatives?
not at the moment. Blame the miners. All the good mid range cards are ridiculously overpriced.
And mining came back big this year with ethereum, which is resistant to the Asics cards. The best way to mine etherium is with GPUs.
To put it in perspective, they usually sell about 20,000 graphics cards a year. In 2017 so far, they've sold over 500,000.
Supply can't keep up with demand.

God damnt, I'll just wait then.

8gb polaris is a meme right?

It's the best mid-range card there is.

but is 8gb worth it or should i just get 4gb?

>ryzen 1600
Or
>Coffee lake i5
I've heard that the i5 will have 6 cores with kaby lake single core performance. Is that true?

>want to go intel because i just play games and the superior single thread power will be better for me
>cant be bothered delidding, feel like i should only go intel if i delid otherwise it's a waste

new games use multiple threads very well.

4GB is the minimum you need for current games. the 8GB model will have some longevity

It will also probably be around the price of a 1700 and that is without adding in the cost of a mobo that you'll have to throw away if you want to upgrade because coffe lake is the last chip compatible with that socket

past 4?

why do women love amd users so much? i own a vega and i just fucked a 1080 owners wife

how good are jonsbo cases? the QT03 is on special right now and im in dire need of a new case

>nvidiots bitch about vega when they will pay this

umart
red flag
flag red

very much so. Modern games are designed for 8 threads in general. More than 4 threads are necessary for gaming going forward. i5's and R3's just are not enough going forward.

I missed out on a 450usd 1080 and 600 usd ti I'm so mad.

Besides if Vega price stabilizes I'll just get that since Pascal is old and Nvidia can't squeeze any more out of it

Yeah I cancelled it

Retailer's here are scum the only one sticking to rrp seems to be pccg

ple sticks to rrp, you can get it cheaper from them too if you ask

What about Vega stock?

I feel now is a bad time to buy Nvidia it's kepler all over again

as in in stock? ple has them in.