Arduino, Raspberry, Microcontroller general - /armg/

What are you working on Sup Forums?
Any embedded stuff welcome here!

I mostly went full pure AVR nowadays, but see pic related every now and then in my drawer. An Arduino with ethernet shield, my first µC. Anyone got a nice idea what to do with it? I really have no idea ;_;

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mbed.org/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F746ZG/
gcw-zero.com/
community.particle.io/t/wrong-reading-value-for-dh22-get-stuck-after-running-for-a-while/11271/18
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm thinking of getting a Cortex M board for osdev, which one should I get?

I have no fuckin idea, but I second this question out of curiosity. Always thought about tinkering around with that shit too

im looking at STM32F4 but I might want more ram than 196kb (256 or 512 would be perfect) anyone know of cortex M boards with 256kb/512kb ram?

I got a tinker board but the official os sucks

I really want to make my own basic USB DAC. Do I even need an arduino?

this and that - lessee - i've an esp8285 wired up to a temp/humidity sensor. that's going in the server rack cabinet to monitor ambient temp, works fine with sending data over html/php, but panics when I try changing it to MQTT logging, need to figure that out.

I've a trail camera made from pi-zero + arduino nano, that works great but with some physical problems, namely the way I have it in it's box the CSI cable keeps popping out, need to work on that too,

Been wanting to use a poundland solar lamp as a base to make a temp/pressure/humidity logger for a conservation group I'm part of, but not got the power side of things sorted - really need to have a good think about that one and experiment with yx8018 see if I can come up with something - have some regulators coming from china that might do it too.

Pi cluster is doing ok, just needs some more things to put in the docker swarm - git certainly, need to think of more stuff.

Usual pointless-the-long-run-but-fun stuff

I want to make a raspberry pi handheld emulation console with Linux Lakka distro (Retroarch)

What should I get and what should I buy? I see many doing thing like these but no ones makes guides.

STM32F7

>tarduino

neck yourself

developer.mbed.org/platforms/ST-Nucleo-F746ZG/

Trash it, and get an ESP32 with Wi-Fi. They can be programmed via the Arduino IDE.
Don't get the ESP8266, they are an older model and they are deprecated.

aw man, now you tell me? I've 5 of those in various projects. Guess I'll have to tear them apart and rebuild them.

And there was me thinking things might actually still work after they've been 'depreciated', kinda silly I know.

Any smarty pants have any idea how I would get started with having a Raspberry Pi read these connections so I could have the keyboard work on the PI?

Would I need a whole entire driver board made from scratch? or would just having the connectors connect to the Pi somehow be enough to use it?

The 32 is more powerful and has BT and BT LE.
Of course the 8266 still works, but if you are buying new get the 32.

I've made a shit load of improvements to a shitload of Arduino libraries (specially those from Adafruit).

Should I try to get my changes merged to mainline, or should I just keep them to myself?

Never tried to get my code merged before...

The Pi3 is more powerful and has BT as well, guess I should buy that instead

actually a laptop would be even MORE powerful still and has built in batteries!

>Arduino

stop being a fag and use real software

either make driver board and use it as classic usb keyboard or wire it directly to raspberry and write software that can read the keys.
you have two layers of plastic sheet with strips of conductive something, when you press a key two paths connect and create closed circuit. Example:
set 0 high, read 2 then 3. Then set 0 low and 1 high, repeat reading 2 and 3. If you pressed C then you should read high on 2 when sending high on 1.

Push it mainline

Why not give back to the community that you've been using libraries from? It could help people similar to you.

Doesn't even have to take that much effort, just make a PR and see if they like it. If not, their loss!

yeah, support adafruit selling massively inflated shitty hardware to noobs, great idea

I also have atmel studio and I and a JTAGICE3, I'm learning how to control all the peripherals of a SAMD21 (M0+ ARM cortex), so far I have the UART and GPIO's working.

Once I get SPI fully working, I move away from Arduino.

I 'm asking because I wrote an Arduino "library" for the HX8347D TFT driver IC based on Adafruit's GFX library.

And a few more Arduino-specific libraries and a shitload of fixes to existing libraries, including official ones.

Should I just let all that go to waste?

I'm definitely moving away from Arduino.

>I'm definitely moving away from Arduino.

you shouldn't have even started with it. Now you have to unlearn all their crap.

Start with ASM on real mcus then work up

I'll try then.

I agree that Adafruit is "massively inflated shitty hardware", and their software is just as bad, but the community is hardly at fault.

The Pi is a general purpose computer running a full-fledged OS which does not have real time capabilities.
Microcontrollers on the other hand run your program and your program only. Sometimes there is a thin real time kernel that allows you to program several tasks and have then executed with real time guarantees (aka deadlines met).

I think you should go ahead and buy the latest macbook.

been there, done that

What is that thing? Looks xtra cumfy..

Thanks for the help!

>or wire it directly to raspberry and write software that can read the keys.

That's what I was hoping I could do.
Sorry for asking handholding stuff, but I just need the bare basic hardware questions answered.

What would be the best way of connecting it to the RASPPI? could I just plug those blue Dupont connectors directing into the GPIO pins or I do I connect it through a different place on the PI?

(I haven't bought the Pi for the project yet, still trying to find out if its feasible for me as a noob to hardware stuff)

Its a GW Zero

gcw-zero.com/

149$/€ is pretty heavy priced. And you cant use any emulator you want with this.

.d

Well, I guess Ill buy some Male To Female Single-wire Dupont connectors and just experiment.

I want to put temperature and lighting sensors over my house.

What do I get? There are some micro pi's and whatnot, but the smaller the better.

>complaining about arduino
>complaining about someone making something
>not complaining about the consumerist shit that are the generals and posts on phones, headphones, and keyboards.
take your own advice

Looking to try Retropi. Its been a long time since I've messed with emulators, where's the best place to download ROM's at?

I promise I'll only download things I own.

Related.

archive.org has romsets
google "archive.org romsets" or something

If I attach a 10" screen to my raspberry pi, does that screen need its own power wire going to the wall?

If not, how much voltage can the PI take for a screen without needing a dedicated screen power cable

What is so bad about arduino? I want to get into embedded computing.

>voltage
That's not the problem and if you don't know the difference between voltage and current, you should do some reading before you build your own project.

anyone know a reliable humidity sensor that isnt a DHT22? Im using them in a mushroom fruiting room and they crap out like every other week.

Did you remember to put a 10Kohm resistor between the data and power line?

Well I'd just be using a kit that is plug and play
I just need to know if I'll need 2 power plugs, plugged in if I use a touch screen + pi combo

I set it up correctly. some worked for a week or two while others broke just by breathing on them. Too unreliable even though they cost $4.
I tried making a housing for it and that only prolonged the life slightly.
I need something that will last long and give accurate results.

>Raspberry
> Microcontroller general
ayylmao

I've been coding using the stm standard peripheral libraries for an stm32f4 I have; is there any benefit to moving to the HALL LL libraries?

What sort of library are you using to pull data from the sensor?

adafruit dht. The library shouldnt make a difference.

Si7021-A20

tho are you sure you're not doing something nasty to the DHT22? I've found them very robust

I have tried them in the corner furthest from the humidity source and they go bad after awhile. Then I hooked a small pvc pipe to my air distribution system and put some polyfill in an effort to have a steady supply of air blowing over it with shielding from any major droplets even though its far away from anything like that.

I got them from ebay $4 from china free shipping.

The timings on the dht11 and dht22 are different, are you sure you've defined the correct dht type?

If all else fails you can always just go for the si7021 or something.

What are some things to do if I don't have the interest to fiddle with the hardware IO?

im taking samples every minute. Just to be clear the sensors work perfect up to a certain point where they start reading 99% or really low %

clear unperfumed nail varnish over everything exposed as well can help - but more the main point is you said 'crap out' but gave absolutely no info about what actually happened - are the corroding? are they giving spurious data? are they throwing errors?

desu I've found them a pita to work with on the bench with messy power, constantly throwing timing errors at times, but perfectly reliable when on stable power - had one in the garden for months with no hiccoughs

simpleDHT is another option - I use with ESP8266/85s where you don't have a lot of space.

Maybe you'll get something from this:
community.particle.io/t/wrong-reading-value-for-dh22-get-stuck-after-running-for-a-while/11271/18

they dont show any errors. Ones board shit itself so i threw it away but all the others just constantly read 99% humidity no matter what it actually is. The temp still reads fine.

Nano pi Neo is pretty small, but it uses an allwinner cpu.