/TPG/ - NEVER EVER edition

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Thinkpad Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

world.taobao.com/item/520044762973.htm?fromSite=main
youtube.com/watch?v=OMMZbsaT42Y
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/4xyxmt/51nbs_x320x330_coming_available_today_thread_4/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I have 2 questions

The first is I'm looking at upgrading the screen in my t430. The guide on the wiki says to buy a ribbon style cable and cut it a bit so it will fit, but wouldn't pic related work fine too? Or will the fit be too tight?

2nd, what is a good hard case for a t430? Pelican or something else?

world.taobao.com/item/520044762973.htm?fromSite=main

You want to upgrade to a TN 900p screen or an actual good ips FHD ? Link is a kit to install FHD IPS.

Any more news on the retro?

What's the best heatsink for a T430?

dedicated graphics just has an extra heatpipe, the sink itself isnt really any larger

There are some who claim there are differences in the fans (noise) between models, but I would guess this has more to do with when that particular heatsink was manufactured.

You could always try something like pic related if you want siccc overclocks. A heatpad on top of the cpus heatpipe might transfer heat to the metal tray of the mobo - this is something I intend to try

>Chinese are modifying old ThinkPads with custom modern hardware
>still nobody making classic keyboards for new ThinkPads

What the fuck, /tpg/?

>there will never be a X770

That's only for the s models so he's fugged and the alienware mod is the best he can do.

I was going to go the x1 carbon screen route. I had no idea those converter boards were still for sale so I guess I'll do that instead.

I hope those chinks make a new mobo for the t430 that supports ryzen apus

>You could always try something like pic related if you want siccc overclocks. A heatpad on top of the cpus heatpipe might transfer heat to the metal tray of the mobo - this is something I intend to try

I'm thinking of trying this, too. I upgraded my T430 CPU to an i7-3720QM and it runs pretty hot under load.

>That's only for the s models so he's fugged

god fucking dammit why can they do it for the s but not the regular 430?

There is a thread on thinkpads.com about 1440x2560 for the s, and the guy says they probably wont do the regular one.

>why can they do it for the s but not the regular 430?
too cramped, flickering issues because of heavy interference or something like that iirc

Anybody have the wallpaper?

>I upgraded my T430 CPU to an i7-3720QM and it runs pretty hot under load.

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing too.

Do you have the nvidia mobo or integrated? I'm kinda worried about power draw with that cpu + nvidia.

w2c

I wish I knew what performance monitor toolbar program they use there
I can't find anything that goes to the taskbar like that
Would be really handy

>The first is I'm looking at upgrading the screen in my t430. The guide on the wiki says to buy a ribbon style cable and cut it a bit so it will fit, but wouldn't pic related work fine too? Or will the fit be too tight?
Ignore the wiki, the best screen upgrade choice is the Alienware M14x R2 screen. It's glossy but has similar viewing angles to the X1C display and has the benefit of being a drop-in replacement requiring no modifications (unless your previous screen was just 768p in which case you'll need the HD+ display cable)

Just make sure you don't get cucked with a "compatible" screen that is the wrong model. best way to make sure you get the right screen is to order a whole upper lid from Alienware M14x R2

>2nd, what is a good hard case for a t430?
It's a thinkpad, it is its own hard case

Would pic related even do anything? There isn't any airflow through the laptop right?

Yeah, I have the Nvidia model. Because that CPU has a slightly higher power draw, the 65W charger isn't enough to charge the laptop while it's on. I've got a separate 90W charger for it.

Board is a different layout, on the non-s the spot where the converter board can fit is also where the power supply hardware is located which interferes with the converter board

>Just make sure you don't get cucked with a "compatible" screen that is the wrong model. best way to make sure you get the right screen is to order a whole upper lid from Alienware M14x R2

Yeah I know about this issue. Thanks for the tip on the alienware screen though. Does it have screws too?

Yes, unlike the X1C screen

I have a T420 with the real Alienware screen in, I can take some photos at various angles if you want to see how it looks

>I have a T420 with the real Alienware screen in, I can take some photos at various angles if you want to see how it looks

Thats alright, I'm doing some reading now and I'll go with the alienware. Thanks again senpai

X220, 230, or 240? I need to run VM's so I need RAM/CPU strength. I've heard the 230 CPU is basically the same as the 240, but how does it compare to the 220?

>I've heard the 230 CPU is basically the same as the 240
You heard wrong, the 230 CPU is actually much faster because 240 is when they started using ULV
Also, the 240 only has single channel RAM while the 220/230 has dual channel

Just break out that drill press if you need extra cooling

Ok, so it's between the 230 and 220, what's the quick rundown on the important differences?

see

X230 is a complete hard upgrade over X220, the biggest pro the X220 has is the older keyboard style, but since you can swap that into the X230 with an EC flash it's totally moot

Does the 230 have the unlockable BIOS to get rid of the PCI-E whitelist?

what's the best thinkpad with a parallel port?

You need a hardware flasher for it but yes it is possible

About to pull the trigger on W530 w/o battery for $300.

Is there anything I should be aware of before making the purchase?

postan boot screens from last thread

Can someone please post the X220 modified BIOS?

>X61 Tablet with SSD
Is this thing useful in the year 2017?

yes

LMAO just bought an E475 from the website

yall niggas mad or what?

How do I do this?

A little jealous, always wanted to see how shitty those were.

You forgot best girl Himawari.

>x320
What mod is this?

I think the guy making them is still here, I'll post more pictures for him to edit. If you want to help, try and find a decent one of Chinatsu.

I feel bad for buying an X230 instead of one of these similar Panasonic models. Specs are basically the same but it's 12" and 1600x900 at a similar price.

Normal x230 resolution is immense poverty.

Why won't my X220 BIOS update? I tried the unmodified and modified and got the same error both times.

there is nothing inherently wrong with the thinkpad e475 with an SSD

how much does that help? I've always wondered

Does the T60 look better with or without the Thinkvantage sticker?

Hey so I know you guys aren't my personal tech support but I just bought a t420 and I'm a linux newbie so I installed mint with mate.
I've been using the trackpoint and it's slow and even going into the mouse settings doesn't do anything. Is there anything I can do about it?
I did some google searches and only found unhelpful reddit posts. Help pls.

Had a W520 and own an X230.
I like the new keyboard a lot more. I can't believe I fell for this "old" keyboard meme.
Also, this is the best laptop I've ever purchased.

What's the best smallest TP? The X220?

Looking for a small laptop with good battery life, build quality and a good keyboard. The only thing I do is watch videos/listen to music, write and browse the web.

Picture not really related.

okay, so I was recently given a t61 and a t500 by a relative. Both have a 1680 by 1050 screen. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them. I was thinking of using the t61 for playing some classic gaymes, as it has the nvidia chipset, while the t500 could probably work well as a development environment because of the resolution. The only problem is that I already have a t420 that I use and don't feel like migrating my shit over.

any other recommendations for what I should use them for?

I've heard of people turning their older computers into seedboxes

x220

How good is the screen on the x220 tablet? Is it better than the normal x220?

What laptop should I get besides Mac if I care about having a quality screen? I customized an XPS and was surprised it became nearly as expensive as a comparable MBP.

Do you want the best screen quality above all else?

How to get gestures/multi-touch trackpad controls in loonix?

>loonix
>hardware working as it should
lmao

No but it just can't be used Thinkpad level trash. I wanna watch movies and tv shows on it

How good are the batteries for the Thinkpads? Used to own one and remembered it would get hot.Also was looking at other laptops if possible thoughts, thank you.

It is though. wangblows didn't support the mute button, while loonix does

Fell for the meme and bought an x200 tablet, need a battery. Who makes decent batteries? I read a few warnings not to trust chinkshit.

Is the touch thinkpad worth it? Looking into for some school stuff. In the long run I don't think i'd use it much.

No clue, it's still being shipped. I mostly got it so I can dick around and get comfortable with arch or gentoo and so I can read .pdf files easier than on my phone.
Also libreboot because it looks like a fun challenge to do.

Dope. I'll check out some reviews on youtube.

Check out the x220 tablet as well, comes with an i5 or i7 instead of the core 2 duo, I'll probably get one at some point. Only reason I went with the x200 is for libreboot and low cost.

Looking at that or the T420 or X240 not sure yet

My x230 ssd died and I had to wait a day to get a new one so I was using my lab's macbook air.

I don't think I want to go back to the shitty x230 screen resolution.

I came across a
>x200

for 50 bucks on ebay, it said that par of the AC adapter is missing, "you will need a 3 pron to charge it"

Is it a good buy?

bump

Oh hey an auction for a used thinkpad, and it's quite low right now with a day left WHY DON'T I BID HUNDREDS MORE
HAHA WHY DON'T I BID $5 LESS THAN THE OTHER LISTINGS THAT AREN'T AUCTIONS WITH THINKPADS IN BETTER CONDITION HAHA GONNA SAVE $5 SUCH A GOOD DEAL

pls respond

yes

I've not looked into the t-series at all, I just fell for the thinkpad meme this last week. Only reason I went with the x-series is that they are the smallest/portable/netbook-type ones.

>visit friend to watch a movie
>want to hook up my X230 to the TV
>realise I forgot my MiniDP to HDMI cable

Almost everything is perfect about this laptop but that port choice is Apple-tier bullshit. Why couldn't they put in a normal HDMI?

HDMI is a Jewish meme
DP is free and better

Used to a 15.6 screen I'm not sure about a 12.5 one. The battery is a huge huge plus for me. Spec wise they look like more than enough for just surfing.

So you're saying that the manufacturer has to pay to put in HDMI? Makes me think because not even the docking stations have HDMI.

I'd even appreciate a normal sized DP port.
Hell even the T530, which is a huge monster, has a MiniDP for no reason at all.

Yep
DP is free to implement plus it's better on paper (your X230 can do 4k 30 if I'm not wrong?)
Sad that it never took off unlike HDjewMI which took off because it has better DRM

x220 is pretty small. if your requirements allow it you might get away using a X201s or a X61s, but those have gotten quite rare (and expensive)

youtube.com/watch?v=OMMZbsaT42Y

DisplayPort seems to be the norm for professional areas.
Consumer shit like meme-smart TV's and consoles all use HDMI.

4k 30 fps on X230 for the cinematic experience :^)

Time to order more adapters from China.

Currently in Hong Kong, looking for a portable laptop for college, no games on this just work.

Would a x220 suffice?

Sounds like an x220 would be perfect.

x220 vs x240

Is the track pad mouse really that much of a difference?

>t440p
>literally perfect thinkpad
>no expresscard

Yeah. the trackpad with buttons is absolutely necessary. Fortunately for 20-30 bucks you can get a t450 trackpad and swap it out with the stock one on the x240

Also, most high quality DP outputs feature full support for VGA via a passive adapter

Is there any reason to buy a thinkpad new?

Lookin at model too. I can't decide.

Cool I didn't even think about that.I almost spent on a big box store laptop.

in 2011 I bought a x220 - best laptop I had imo
also I am an immense 7 row keyboard fag / really like the 2011 thinkpad keyboard layout
fast forward - its 2017 I need a new laptop but really hate the 'new' thinkpad keyboards
what do?

That's nice to hear. Why is the VGA port still a thing nowadays? I mean even the xx50 series ThinkPads still have a full-sized VGA port and I fail to see it's usefulness.

Wait and see what the retro Thinkpad brings

it seems like lenovo retro will commit sudoku eg just a overpriced t470p with the old keyboard

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/4xyxmt/51nbs_x320x330_coming_available_today_thread_4/