Why are Linux users to hostile to BSD? Even more hostile than they are to Windows...

Why are Linux users to hostile to BSD? Even more hostile than they are to Windows? Why does the mere existence of these OSes make them so angry?

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu-advanced.html
bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=220229
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1. Envy. Though in heavy denial publicly, plebs know deep down that OpenBSD is far superior to l00nux.

2. Fear. Plebs scared that when other plebs figure out #1 they'll abandon the PotteringOS shitpond en mass for cleaner healthier waters, leaving the few who remain to die all alone in their sorrow and filth.

The know that OpenBSD has far superior hardware support.

because some people in here are so messed up about their insecurities that it tortures them, and instead of just admitting it and do what they have to do they report their self-hatred on other things, like bsd, the other gpu/cpu manufacturer etc, even though it doesn't deserve that much hate.

I am really intrigued by *BSD but I've heard horror stories about hardware compatibility.

What is package management like? Do you have to emerge and compile your packages like gentoo?

I'm definitely planning on playing around with a VM some rainy afternoon.

Because OpenBSD is a bigger hug box of angry spergs than GNU/Linux ever was.

Because BSD fags are more elitist than we are

You can choose between (or mix) compiling stuff from the ports tree or using a binary package manager called pkg, on freebsd at least
Hardware compatibility is fine if you want to use on a server, otherwise you're better off with linux imo

OpenBSD recommends binary packages but they have a gentoo style ports tree if you really want to.

As long as you don't have Nvidia or need bluetooth (they literally scrapped the whole bluetooth stack for security purposes) you should be fine.

You'll find it's a lot simpler than Linux.

Do BSD kernels have substantial differences between them?

>Why are Linux users to hostile to BSD? Even more hostile than they are to Windows? Why does the mere existence of these OSes make them so angry?
You've just described all of BSD's attitude towards GNU/Linux and the GPL in general.

They aren't. From what I've seen, it's the other way around, BSD users shit on Linux.

>OpenBSD
>claims to be secure
>no mandatory access control
>no namespaces
>no sandboxing methods
>no jails
OpenBSD gives you no way to contain or restrict the execution of untrusted or buggy code.
It's only secure if you don't install anything besides the base system.
I'll just stick to GNU/Linux, since it's actually secure.

>GNU/Linux
>actually secure
nice joke, go patch your kernel so thumbnailer won't pwn you

No drivers.

Why are BSD users so hostile to Linux users? Even more hostile than they are to Windows?

kek

Pros and Cons of OBSD
Pros
>simple
>customisable
>great documentation
>great security

Cons
>If it isn't a ThinkPad or a server it could have incompatibilities
>Gay men not allowed

>gay man not allowed
That is a pro user

Because BSD is to Linux what Linux is to WIndows.

bsd is not an operating system nor is it technology. it's just contrarian political bullshit and what you pretend to use when this whole thing was a game to you and linux got too mainstream.

the retarded userbase unironically repeating "lol u dont need dat" in response to all software and drivers made in the past 20 years is a funny gem among others like "all you need is a 386", "I use my computer for real work" (jacking off for 2 decades), "bsd runs sony and apple" like this is a good thing that it was stolen and they won't ever give anything back, and trying to pretend they're in charge of running the internet because they were butt diddling some other retard in the 1980s on usenet about nothing and insist it should have "stayed for document storage". There's even a bunch of bsd shits just playing pretend who haven't used it at all ever and are just repeating bullshit other people who probably haven't ever used BSD said to pretend to look cool.

The other reason is that you keep spouting about how it's superior but the moment you are proven wrong, suddenly it's a hobby and you're a pseudo internet diplomat here to begin peace talks. You say hobby to get the linux users out of the thread so you can wait for more windows newbies to show up and say quantum contrarian bullshit like "bsd is way better oh but it probably isn't for you". You know exactly what you're doing, you need attention bad because you have too much free time because nobody will hire you.

bsd shits don't really do or contribute anything except fracture legitimate open source projects so they can have their 5 minutes of attention.

>no bluetooth stack
oh god I just looked this up, this is so fucking hilarious. lol u dont need dat!!!!! at its best. A hurp a durp, we must chop out everything made we don't understand, because after 10 years in IRC, I'm scared of leaving it!!!!

This is not technology, it's more like neo-luddism. Might get away with it for a few years but as time goes on you'll just label everything as "insecure", when the problem really is you. This is why BSD is a miserable failure because they're stuck in the 70s jacking off thinking they're computer scientists.

Bluetooth is inherently insecure. If you want bluetooth, many linux distros support it and that's fine, but it's not for people who are paranoid-levels invested in their security.

>bsd is not an operating system nor is it technology
B8?

I use OBSD as a main driver. It isn't perfect since it lacks support for software that I need but, that's why I keep a Debian distribution as a secondary. I prefer it to Linux because I like the software better and I like the defaults. I would rather use OBSD and Linux than spend a million years getting Gentoo just right.

You sound really salty. We were talking about BSD as software but then you made it political (with in falsifiable claims I might add). Did you ex-boyfriend use OBSD by any chance?

I think a lot of it is GNU+Linux users tend to see the BSDs as working against the concept of free software because they provide a free OS solution that does not guarantee freedoms. BSDs and GNU+Linux aren't really aligned with each other ideologically. BSDs have permissive licenses which allow use by anyone for any reason while GNU/Linux/free software camp uses licenses that try to prevent their software from being used together with proprietary software.

>great security
lol don't kid yourself

I'll tell you why, it's because it reminds us of just how shitty Linux was ten years ago. The shame it brings often times gets expressed as anger.

oh ho we have an expert
one example is that OBSD has far better stack protection. Linux is actually quite behind in that department, even worse than Windows

Don't kid yourself buddy.

That's where you're wrong kiddo.

For example it has better stack protection than anything else. Linux is actually quite behind in that area, even worse than Windows.

Penis envy.

that goes out the window as soon as you install a 3d party program
see how is better stack protection going to help me if some malware attempts to copy my ssh keys to a remote server, steal my browser cookies, encrypt or delete my files, attack stuff on my lan, etc

fpbp

Because it isn't GPL.

How does the compatibility layer for linux programs work? Is it fast? Does it support a wide range of software?

comparable to wine?

you have a pretty broad view of what makes something political

freebsd.org/doc/handbook/linuxemu-advanced.html - see this for the basics on how it works
it's quick enough for me...

Good fucking bait, sir. You tricked several newfags into thinking you were advocating Linux.

bsd is objectively better as a base system but the support for drivers is shit and when you go to forums trying to help you realize its mostly smug macfags

For some reason the 'quick enough for me' makes me think you haven't quite understood how it works, despite linking to the handbook (although that part of the handbook refers to it as emulation, which it isn't - higan is an emulator.

>only works without weeks of tinkering on hardware from 2005
>fear
>envy

holy god why are you so butthurt over this? who is this invested in operating systems? wew

>Why are Linux users to hostile to BSD?
Because BSD users are hostile to us, hostile to FSF, shit on GNU and shit on rms.
>Even more hostile than they are to Windows?
Because Windows users are hostile to us, shit on our system, shit on free software with pure bullshit like le communism.
>Why does the mere existence of these OSes make them so angry?
Why don't you ask this from BSD and Windows users too?

No, but you can make your own custom kernel

'it works quick enough for me' means i don't understand it??
i don't get where you pulled that from

It's like a windows user describing linux.
Wow

>malware
>bsd
wew

Who wants to be held back by some fucking autist and his ideas?

The implication being that it should somehow be slower than Linux on the same hardware, which there's no reason to assume. Basically it's the same kind of syscall translation that LX branded zones use on Solaris - which is interesting, because zones were in turn inspried by FreeBSDs jails. Similarily, Crossbow has also been heavily inspired VNET/VIMAGE.

Please don't give bait posters any (You)s.

i didn't mean to say it was slower or worse off. one issue i did have with it though was pale moon always crashed and made the system hang with coredumps. other than that it was fine...

I've basically given up on the whole browser nonsense - if I find a video I want to watch, I throw it at my mediacenter, and use a console browser with mouse support and inline image displaying for everything else except banking where I've installed www/iridium (which I'm trying to capsicumize, although I'm not having much luck - for now I'm relying on running it in a jail).

The biggest issue with the Linuxulator that I've had is the same issue that plagues the rest of FreeBSD and the other BSDs too; too few people working on it means there's not enough work being done on it. That's alright though, since the only thing I'm currently using it for is net/spideroak for off-site zero-knowledge backup, and that works solidly.

I actually got memed into installing BSD, and it was painful how shitty it was. And yes, my jimmies do get a little rustled when you shitheads won't stop shilling this garbage.

i've been trying to get into DragonFlyBSD these past few days, I've been really liking it so far but some things I prefer FreeBSD over DFly is the Linux binary support and binary system upgrades - building the entire world & kernel on a 1.1ghz dual core Celeron isn't a very nice experience

what reason is there to ever use dragonfly? i really don't understand why there are other bsds besides freebsd desu.

malware is a broad term, it only needs to be some POSIX compliant malicious or just buggy code
basically, anything that hasn't been heavily audited (that's everything except the base system) is potential malware

much better defaults, designed and has more focus on multi-core & 64 bit systems.
also actually has an implimentation of ASLR, unlike FreeBSD but hardenedbsd has had a version that fbsd won't accept
also the glorious HAMMER filesystem for wonderful performance and features, and has a much easier method for encrypting my disks

That's ironic. BSD goes nowhere because you can just take their innovations and write your name on it.

Ask Steve Jobs.

FreeBSD has binary updates, and packaged base is supposedly very close to being finished.

i ment DFly not having binary version upgrades
sorry if i wasnt clear

if freebsd automatically detected hardware like gpus, dual monitors, etc and actually had drivers it would be a pretty good system desu. but it doesn't, so its not. the only practical use i've ever had for freebsd is running my rasp pi music server

is this really a problem if you know what hardware you have and know the command to load modules?

Because BSD fanboys are idiots who can't tolerate different opinions. You got a toxic community.

>words hurt user :(

yes because it requires manually going into the xorg files to setup monitors, automounting has to be setup after install (and doesnt always work), and tons of configuration files have to be manually setup that bring back unpleasant memories of linux pre-2010. i wish the dragonfly and pcbsd losers would just go back to the freebsd forums and start making one bsd worth using instead of branching it off over and over again and going nowhere

>Theo de Raadt hacked his router and remotely remapped his keyboard
please be true

Why would I care about open BSD? I would rather say I'm intrigued by it

if you fancy a system which focuses on code correctness, uses encryption by default, has a strict policy on manual pages & security, go ahead and try it out. note how user-friendly wasn't part of the things it does

FreeBSD is botnet

>It lacks support for software that I need
>But I still keep using it
Gee I wonder why? Maybe you are trying too hard to impress nobody that's looking.
We're getting into the quantum bullshit of BSD now, you see bsd license politics every thread but if I bring it up suddenly it totally wasn't about politics. My other favorite quantum bullshit BSD thing is ports, it's okay for you to recommend ports but if I do it's "lolportsareinsecure"

I didn't make the thread, and OP is looking for a legit answer. Again you are in "peace talk" mode, from the previous quantum state of "bsd is superior cause its shittier but dont use it!!!" because you drove everyone out of IRC and you're lonely now. There's no reason to use BSD when Linux exists as it is unless you get involved in bullshit pseudo politics because you're just trying to be a hipster.

I'm not going to pretend that Linux users weren't like this circa 2003 when they hit a brick wall of something they didn't have. This is a good demonstration because it shows Linux changed and works while BSD sticks to the 70s pretending it is better than everyone else for not having features. There's politics in Linux but you can just go for a non-autism distro then you don't have to deal with a bunch of basement super faggots deciding for you that you don't need bluetooth for example.

So is everything else if you want to be a pedantic little shit about it. This is a shitty attitude to take, you have gone full circle and become a reverse macfag thinking you're intelligent for dropping features. You could make it a module or optional or something and make everyone happy but no, we as the basement conglomerate dictate such. I also like your little smarmy condescending "oh maybe linux is better for you". Just admit you pretend you're better than everyone else and you don't really want anyone to use BSD.

is this bait or do you really not know "gay men" = "gaming"

>Theo de Raadt hacked his router and remotely remapped his keyboard

sweet summer

>Why are Linux users to hostile to BSD?
Whom are you talking about? I haven't even seen such Linux users. I myself have been using FreeBSD in the past and would like to go back to using it on my laptop. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the Wifi on it to work with FreeBSD yet.

You can probably just swap out the card with a $10 Centrino card from eBay.

Perhaps, but it just feels wrong and redundant to keep two Wifi MACs in the same computer just because of software.

This one?
bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=220229

take out the old card?

No, it's an RTL8191SE (10ec:8172).

It's soldered.

The license isn't free enough for them and they don't like anything else stealing the spotlight from Linux as the free alternative.

darnirino :(

bsd is definitely not dying. they'd been saying that shit online since the late 90's and BSD is still here and relevant.

it needs moar drivers and a desktop-ready version of the freebsd iso image then it would be legit

how about you stop downloading and running every random executable you find on the web you fucking techlet

that wouldn't make OpenBSD secure

bsd is gay
linux is better and bsd is living on bought time

>generalizung all Linux Users into BSD Haters

I don't mind BSD, but your Superiority Complex doesn't really make you Sympathetic

linux and bsd have borrowed several things with each other over the years. you're just some dumbass 12 year old

>firefox doesn't allow me to surf ANY random website
>thunderbird doesn't allow me to click on any random spam link
>they suck

what are you trying to say?

you're probably the dumbass 12 yo since you're eating up that bait

I use Arch Linux and I am your surpreme overlord.
Bend the knee, faggot.

i've already said it before here to your stupid "muh mac" arguments. i'm done.

no real argument, eh?
good

get fucked

that's a nice one
you sure proved me wrong

lmao sure, support for a hammer to smash the computer.

>contrarian political bullshit
bsd existed before linux dumbfuck. how is something that existed decades before everything else contrarian?

They aren't. Most would absolutely love for BSDs to become viable. But BSDtards not only constantly inject themselves where they don't belong while being as noisy and annoying as possible, but also try to convert people like Christians do: by lying and using completely irrelevant promises. Speaking of which, most of them also happen to speak like Christians in other ways: they demand complete belief in their OS even when it is proven that their OS doesn't work for specific reasons, and damn everyone who will not bend the knee to hell.

Because nobody uses it since it sucks balls. Learn what contrarian means.