/pcbg/ PC Building General - Skylake-X Edition

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236660
amazon.de/Dell-S2417DG-Monitor-Zoll-schwarz/dp/B01KZIOSSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503841844&sr=8-1&keywords=Dell S2417DG
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Has watercooling gone too far?

I have idea why R5 1500x is still fucking on the OP. It is a fucking shit CPU when it is barely less expensive and 2 core and 4 threads behind the 1600.

everyone says i3 is a terrible buy now that bentium are 4 thread. but 6100 on a H110 is only $10 more than a B250 and 4560.

Still, terrible value when compared to a Ryzen 3 1200 on a B350 mobo.

>Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
I was considering buying the Crucial MX300 275 GB edition because i will install a dual boot setup with a Linux distro of 25 GB in size and a Windows 10 installation of 100 GB in size and still have plenty of space for programs
I already own a 1 TB HDD for all my files
So should i really go with the advice and get the 500 GB edition for 50 bucks more?
I feel that's too much since i store my music, images, movies and vidya on my HDD

it literally says that you should go up to r5 1600. honestly the whole op is trash but i cannot be bothered to edit it (and have "experts" shit on it), so i just copy/paste.

it's a whopping $30 more for an R3, B350 and 2800mhz ram, you some kinda richfag?

The ability to overclock the snot out of it and the 2 extra cores is worth it

>Windows 10 installation of 100 GB in size
what the fuck are you doing user

>I feel that's too much since i store my music, images, movies and vidya on my HDD
music, images, movies should be stored on hdds
most vidya benefit from being on ssd (faster loading times), but if you feel like 275gb is big enough for you then there's no reason to get 500gb.

but performance-wise it's basically i5 7400 after oc

Just remove the 1500x. It shouldn't be in the OP at all.

then we'll have people asking "where's 1500x?? fucking shill", "is 1500x good?" "should i go for 1500x or spend more and get 1600?"

vidya goes on the ssd. 275 can get small fast if you have several recent games installed at a time.

No one is going to ask where is the 1500x. Even the AMD folks. No one ever recommends the 1500x. Everytime it is brought up, every reply is buy the 1600 instead.

>Windows 10 installation of 100 GB in size
what are you doing ? pic related

How likely is an nVidia card refresh this year? I've read rumors that there are upgraded 1060,1070,1080s in the works which will still have GDDR5(x) memory and pascal architecture.

None. Next one is confirmed for Volta.

can confirm ssd @ 33gb used with stick of truth and a few programs installed as well

thanks to vega being a disappointment there's 0% chance of new nvidia cards this year

>AMD shilling
Someone start a new /pcb/ thread.

>Intel shill
Let's see Intel make a good product with value for money and it'll make the list. Bulldozer was 5 years ago user

my windows 7 installation is 16gb and it's 3 years old.

buying 7700k is fucking retarded right now. if you really want to get cucked by intel wait for coffin lake.

Soon™
I'm going to pick up that ROG QHD 144hz FreeSync monitor to go with this build.

>what the fuck are you doing user
My old Windows 10 installation was this big after a huge cleaning spree so i will give Windows 10 a big partition on my new SSD
I am aware that after a clean install it won't need 100 GB
It's just a insurance for the future

I don't play that many recent games but you are right
I will still have merely 200 GB of free space for programs and games on the SSD
That's enough for my major games which will be the candidates for having the most benefit of the SSD speed but for games i will buy in the future it's not enough i guess
Indie games and old games will be installed on the HDD though because they already run fast enough

Thanks for your responses. It helped me a lot in deciding.
I will get the Crucial MX300 525 GB

>Vega
Lmao

Stay salty poorfag :^).

I find a 200-256 GB SSD to be the sweet spot for a C: drive. It's big enough that you don't have to concern yourself with space issues while having a reasonable price. This obviously depends on what you do and where you choose to store your apps or games.
I never have more than 2-3 games installed at any given time but there are people with half their steam library on.

Is there a video/backstory to that pic?

Sure thing bro. You stay poor and buy that poverty space heater.

>c:
Don't use emotes on Sup Forums.

Someone turned an old heater into a massive AIO.

Seriously why would you get a Vega?
The Ryzen is a performant, OC-able, non power hungry CPU.
The Vega is fermi levels of bad.

Amada keeps me warm on cold winter nights. What about you nvidiot?
>1080 Ti
>probably doesn't even have a qhd monitor
Many such cases. Sad!

>:3

That much is obvious. I'd like to see/read about the process/temps.

Lmao you faggots forget that video cards aren't just for gaymen.
>amds cpu and gpu departments are the same

Hey at least I am not fucking retarded and buy loud lawnmowers and putting them in my room.

You don't see morons showing off their i7-7700k and yet AMD tards think it is okay for them to show off their inferior Vega.

Really makes you think.

dissonance is strong with this one

Jesus Christ has windows really become so bad that it takes this much space to install? You can install almost any other OS on less than 1 GB. Even Vista was only like 5 GB, and that was bloated as fuck.

>doesn't deny he bottlenecks his card with a shitty monitor
wew, this just proves that nvidiots are poorfags

Are video card prices ever coming back down? Fuck crypto.

Oh come on. I am not posting cause I didn't want to BTFO you out again. But seeing as you are a pathetic scum, enjoy crying about your lawnmower and inferior hardware. Sad.

Not that guy, but how can you talk trash when you think this is an acceptable look for a monitor?

yes, they will come down.

Why not? It was between that or the PG279Q. This one is slightly cheaper and has better QC.

>le gaymer monitor
Sad! No taste.

>acer
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>Buys inferior hardware
>Calls people poor when they are not
This is good evidence that AMDfags are mentally retarded.
Everytime someone says /pcbg/ isn't AMD shill zone I am going to point to you the retard who bought a Vega.

>No BLB issue
>No dead pixel
>G-sync, 165hz, 1440p
>Cheaper than other alternative
I am not sure what are you laughing at here.

every single speccy with a 1080 Ti has 1080p monitors

I'm not the dude who bought Vega, faggot. That was retarded. But anyone who buys a shitty looking monitor when there's equivalent specs & price available is fucking retarded

Also, >acer

kill yourself

I don't but there's not much choice for 1440p 144hz IPS panels.

>1440p
>24 inches

Hurrr durrrr.
>Muh superior monitor

Sure. That is why my monitor is a 1080p right?

AMDshills so funny when they get booty blasted. Better shit on someone's monitor because I can't shit on his superior GPU. Sad.

But it is 27"? Are AMDshills that stupid?

It's not IPS but Dell's S2716DG seems to be a decent alternative. And it's infinitely more pleasing aesthetically.

You could've bought a much better looking and bigger Dell or ASUS monitor for the same price. You have shit taste.
>muh extra 20 hz makes such a difference

everyone is bashing the vega , just undervolt it and you will be fine , heck you even get better performance out of it

Hurrr durrr. I did my research unlike the morons that buy Vega. I looked over reviews for the PG279Q (Asus), S2716DG (Dell) and XB271HU (Acer) and i came to the conclusion that the acer was the best buy.

But I know what this is. This is a case of shitting on the guy who buys the "bad" monitor because he is right.

How many post has there been telling me I bought a debatably "bad" monitor?

How many post has there been telling that user he is an idiot for buying a vega?

AMDshill zone.

It's literally just salty cucks who couldn't get it on launch day.

Erm
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236660

Acer has always been trash, everyone knows this.

This. They make shitty products. Vega is fine undervolted, but anyone who buys it and doesn't do that is retarded.

There's also the Dell S2417DG.
TN and 24 inch but cheap and able to go 165hz with a much more robust construction and quality control.

>Acer is bad
>Vega is fine
HAHAHAHAHA
/pcbg/ is really AMD

I'm yurop and in my country that Asus monitor is 350 euros more expensive so there's no contest which is better buy.

I wanted 27". IPS. And Gsync.
I am not poor. Unlike the faggots who have to buy Vega. Lmao

STOP SHITTING UP THE THREAD

see then

amazon.de/Dell-S2417DG-Monitor-Zoll-schwarz/dp/B01KZIOSSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503841844&sr=8-1&keywords=Dell S2417DG

>defending intel after i9 and x299
>willingly buying acer
Nvidia does make good cards. Their drivers have telemetry tho. I bought amd because muh open sores.
It's a general, so it's automatically shit.

>Vega
>poorfags

I don't like the look of their monitors either but what's wrong with buying Acer?
My first CRT was an Acer and it was fucking flawless.

like it or not, XB271HU is a good monitor. ViewSonic is still better.

now please just go play video games or something, unless you spend 2.5k $ to shitpost on Sup Forums

>shilling for acer
>shilling for a literally who company
hope you enjoy your dead pixels in a year

Their modern monitors are poorly designed and overpriced compared to the competition. Acer monitors are prone to having dead pixels.

Speaking of 144hz 1440p GSync monitors. What's the best price/performance card to run one if I don't really care about high details in game and am OK to run anything that's non-competitive under 144 fps as long as it's above 60?

>one faggot posts a video card and the entire thread goes to shit
you fags are worse than Sup Forumsirgins and their console war faggotry

Nice. R5 1600 I'm assuming? What case is this and what RAM will you be using?

It's the 1600, yes. The case is the Meshify C and I plan to get the G. Skill Flare X.

wtf sapphire?
what the flying shit?
56%?
you've got to be kidding me!
and they let this shit pass qc?
should have bought a gtx 1050.

>Meshify C
Really nice. That should make for a great PC.

Thanks

Great choice on the case, it has Fractal Design's great cable management & better airflow than some of their other cases. Only concern is watercooling, there's not a lot of room between a radiator and a well sized GPU.

Good thing I'm not buying into the AIO meme.

Oh so Vega buyers are just stupid.
That makes it better.

>Vega
Wow aren't you a fucking retard

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($323.11 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($88.95 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($80.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($139.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB OC BLACK Video Card ($724.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1357.80

How much of a retard am i?

That motherboard doesn't allow overclocking.
You could stand to get some faster ram.
I'm assuming you're going i5 over Ryzen because you want the absolute best gaming performance? Maybe you could wait for the 8700k then.

Full retard.
>i7-7700k
>B250M

hey
your retarded

>That motherboard doesn't allow overclocking.

But Intel has told people not to overclock :^)

Explain, as far as i can tell they should be compatible, granted its been 8 years since i build a pc.

Faster RAM? From what i could gather the difference between 2400mhz and 3200mhz was almost negligble in all aspects.

enlighten me.

>overclock the snot out of it
4ghz wooo
Just about anything is fine for 60hz and everything is worse than the 7700k for 144hz. i3 is fine.
Gsync is a massive rip off and adaptive sync is invaluable on a high refresh monitor. It's buy a $400 freesync 1440p 144hz or a $700 gsync one. Vega is fine. Shame it's locked the fuck down like pascal but at least you can get around it.
You people leave your monitors on the stock stands? You do know that vastly superior mounts are dirt fucking cheap right?

I feel bad for anyone that comes to this thread actually looking for help. Gonna end up with a steaming pile of shit putting up 30 less fps than it could cus muh shitpostan

>Explain, as far as i can tell they should be compatible, granted its been 8 years since i build a pc.
You bought an unlocked processor and an expensive cooler, so clearly you plan on overclocking, but that motherboard doesn't allow overclocking.

>motherboard doesnt allow overclocking
whew, since when did this become a fucking thing.

Thanks for the heads up, any recommendations on mobo then?

I'd wait for Coffee Lake.

Like said, I'm assuming your buying a 7700k for maximum gaming performance, but I really would suggest switching to a 1700. The 7700k right now, is the top dog for gaming but the 1700 is damn good for gaming & it's futureproof with it's extra cores/threads, unlike the 7700k. If you decide to go with the 7700k anyway, the b250 socket does not allow for overclocking. They are compatible, but you can't overclock. If you don't plan to overclock, get a locked CPU. The K in 7700K means it's unlocked, so you can overclock it. If you want to overclock the 7700k, get a z270 mobo.