>have a program in the background doing:
>random reads and writes
>writing a large file

>1080p video stutters a lot
>DE latency is around 3-5 seconds
>everything feels laggy

Why does Linux struggle to do well?

Other urls found in this thread:

rudd-o.com/linux-and-free-software/tales-from-responsivenessland-why-linux-feels-slow-and-how-to-fix-that
youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1730-radeonsi&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inTHaaaaaaaal GETHOUUUUU

This is an actual Linux issue.
Note none of the BSDs I've used has this issue.

Use bfs instead of the heuristic clusterfuck that is cfs on desktop.

Can any one tell me why ntfs is inferior in front of ext4?

That doesn't solve the writeback stalls Linux suffers from.

NTFS is fractally bad. No matter how deep you dig you find more problems. ext4 is a reasonable journaling filesystem that's a bit faster than BSD UFS/FFS and more reliable than JFS.

I'd rather use BSD's. It's much more reliable and it doesn't suffer from latency spikes that plague Linux.

The mainline kernel went to shit around 2012. Use linux-ck or linux-rt.

Can you give me some examples?

Linux: It just werx
Do you guys even realize how cryptic this sounds?

He fell for the linux meme, top kek.
Install gentoo or use openbsd/plan9.

I've tried those. It's hopeless, they do also stall.
openbsd, dragonfly bsd suffer not from this bullshit. Even Minix3 doesn't have this issue.

werks on my machine
t. 4.12.8-gentoo

BSD doesn't have that issue guy
>werks on gentoo
The problem does werk on gentoo indeed (I use gentoo), bet it mainline, ck or rt. It's hopeless.
The problem's also been there for a very long time. At least a decade.
Face reality, Linux isn't fixing this. BSD have no such issues.

>tried this just now
>literally no performance issues
sounds like something is fucked on your end

Have you tried this on Wayland? I suspect much of this issue is down to the fact that x.org doesn't multithread at all, so if it gets held up on a disk access, the desktop can freeze.

It happened to me today. Copying 40gb blu ray rip from external hard drive to my main hard drive. Firefox runs so slow it becomes unusable until the file is done being copied. I can do the same thing with windows without a problem.

>tried this just now
Try using linux for more than 5 minutes at a time. You'll encounter this problem sooner or later.
Full disclosure: Linux since 1997. Gentoo since 2003.

what are disk schedulers the post, gj op made me reply
now look it up and fuck off

>multithread
Disk i/o doesn't hog the CPU, ever.
Blocking writes (sometimes reads) to the filesystem will however clog a lot of applications.

I literally never encountered this
t. been using Gentoo as primary OS for a few months

>what are disk schedulers the post, gj
Using a different disk scheduler won't fix this issue, bro.
If writeback takes half an hour and blocks all reads and writes, no magic elevator will save you from that.
This is an issue with the linux block layer as a whole. Linux plumbing devs finally acknowledged it about one year ago, but it's a really really difficult one to solve. They don't have a thing yet, besides some mitigation strategy that's helping at times and at others is doing more damage than good.

Sure. And in multithreaded code only the thread that's blocked on the disk io gets held up, so this may be less of an issue if the x server had a thread-per-window model..

>why does linux struggle to do well?
Ask the 95% of people using proprietary windows/osx. No one wants a stupid timesink OS that they have to constantly maintain just to keep their system stable. An OS should take up a miniscule amount of time to setup and personalize, and in that, linux has failed miserably

Don't try to argue with freetards. Their blatant ignorance of facts and blind devotion to linus torvalds will be their downfall. They do not understand concepts like logic and objective truth; only parroting the opinions of homeless, smelly psuedo-intellectual communists

Have you tried readjusting (lowering) swappiness?

rudd-o.com/linux-and-free-software/tales-from-responsivenessland-why-linux-feels-slow-and-how-to-fix-that

>this may be less of an issue if the x server had a thread-per-window model..
This assumes Xorg is what gets blocked on I/O. It's actually your apps that do.
>Thread per window.
Makes no sense, as in the modern world, Xorg is just a broker for graphic buffers, not unlike Wayland. Applications do the drawing themselves.
>No threading in X
Input is actually threaded, as of recent Xorg version.

Linux since 1997 guy.
I've been swapless for a year now, which makes Linux suck less in some ways (in the realtime world, swap is frowned at, as it introduces a strong element of unpredictability), but does absolutely nothing to solve this issue (block cache isn't involved in swapping, even if you're a retard and use a swapfile, as that's implemented as blocklist bypassing the block layer and filesystem entirely).

Windows is optimized to be fucking awesome, because of all the polarizing hate a lot of people haven't seen what windows 10 can do and become.

Windows is botnet, a nonstarter.
Sup Forums isn't kind to shills peddling botnet.

>even if you're a retard and use a swapfile
What's wrong with swapfiles over swap partitions?

He literally told you
>bypasses filesystem and block layer by using a blocklist.
>reads and writes to blocks that belong to the filesystem regardless.
It's a hack, and an extremely ugly one.

This actually made all the difference for me, im this guy. Thanks.

Call me when I can have a filesystem that supports something as good as NTFS' ACLs and attributes

>NTFS' ACLs and attributes
>"so good"

Brainwashed UNIX tard please leave.

>tfw never had this problem
Since you say you use Gentoo I can only assume it's some config problem my distro already took care of for me.

>botnet cuck
>peddling botnet
>in a linux thread
>in Sup Forums
Go away.

>Install windows 10
>No network drivers so need to use another computer to get the drivers.
>Update takes forever.
>Install the drivers from windows update.
>No sound.
>Search the driver from the manufacturer's site.
>Ok, no problem.
>Suspiciously high storage drive usage.
>Processes using high amount of resources for no reason.
>Forced updates, give up trying to customize it because the updates sets the defaults again.
>No more possibility to know what are the updates about.
>Error messages are not useful.
>Must uninstall crap often but gets installed again.
>Cannot disable cortana.
>Pretty obvious i don't control my OS.
>Read MS privacy statement.
>Fuck this shit.
>Install windows 7.
>No drivers, must hunt them this time.
>mfw i read that MS is issuing updates that backports W1's bullshit to windows 7.
>mfw i must use third party programs and be careful with the updates to protect myself from my own software provider.

>At some moment got interested into looking for other software providers.
>Don't want to buy hardware and hackingtosh seems a fucking hassle so don't care about apple for the moment.
>Download ubuntu mate installation media.
>Try to boot but get black screen.
>Literally first google result tells me how to start with nomodeset and how to install the proprietary nvidia drivers.
>Proceed to install.
>reboot.
>Start again with nomodeset.
>Update OS (extremely fast compared to windows) and install nvidia drivers from a GUI.
>reboot.
>mfw everything works, no need to search for drivers.
>discovers dolphin, youtube-dl, clementine, playonlinux, kdenlive, krita, etc.
>Comfy as fuck.
>Discover my previous MS office documents don't work fine always.
>Read about the problem and discovers MS issued an standard they don't respect and no one know how it got approved something like that.
>Around half of my steam games are not avilable on linux.
>Read about it and discover how closed technologies can work as lock-in mechanism.
>mfw going back to windows would be like begging to be mistreated.
>mfw i would be actively supporting to make worse this situation.
>nope
>Use my computer normally but try to save my documents in open formats when possible to avoid being locked out from them and try to reward those developers who uses a multi-platform approach.

Seriously, if i put on a balance the pros and cons of windows and Linux, Linux always wins. Windows has in general given me a lot more of trouble than what it benefits me, and that's just the purely technical aspects, if you have compatible hardware Linux is practically maintenance-free, even installing the few proprietary drivers i need can be done from a GUI directly in the OS and i can keep them updated always from an official source.

Aside from the purely technical aspect i consider a serious disadvantage knowing that if i depend on a Windows-only program is like being married with windows because i don't have the option to abandon it but at the same time i must like whatever Microsoft wants to do with me. Seems a pretty asymmetrical deal to me and more considering Microsoft has a very bad record on being unethical.

Honestly i only use Windows when there's absolutely no option due to a lock-in situation or because i'm asked at work to use a Microsoft-only technology (this is less common each day fortunately) but otherwise i avoid it. No OS is perfect of course and i can't talk about OSX but i'm 1000 times more willing to forgive an honest mistake, for example a bug or the lack of a feature dues to lack of human resources, than something pushed on me on purpose.

>run Windows
>press Start button, type iTunes, Enter
>brings up Internet Explorer on the first i
>struggles to populate results for the remaining 5 letters
>it's not ready when I press enter
>opens Internet Explorer
tfw a normal typing speed is too fast for windows to function properly

>Use wine to run the few games that do not ship a Linux version.
>Be happy.

true

Or, if you use Ayymd, it just works.
>proprietary drivers
youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g

I believe your issue can be solved, I can't quite recall but it's about changing how much Linux concentrates of I/O, I wish I could recall it.

I do remember just searching for "how to make linux run faster" and I got a result, cba to find itn ow.

>things that have never happened post number 62118061

Yep, lately the AMD open source drivers stopped sucking, being a lot faster (sometimes twice as fast) as the AMD's proprietary OGL implementation in a lot of cases (which is the same implementation as windows). When all the pieces of the DAL/DC code are mainlined it'll be just golden.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1730-radeonsi&num=1

>When all pieces
It's all fine unless you're on Vega or need HDMI audio (affecting some cards only).
I'm on r9 380x, it just works, and performs well.

Yeah, that's what i'm refering to. Actually the mesa drivers are the most stable GPU drivers i've ever used and back then in 2013 when reclocking was finally added, even though the performance for 3D was bad it was already very solid stability wise. As i said, when the last pieces are mainlined the support would be practically perfect even ootb, good thing there's Dc enabled kernels people can install right now.

this is a discussion about filesystem technology, noone has suggested anyone use any certain OS

fucking retard

NTFS permissions and attributes are good though. The flaws of NTFS are totally unrelated to these features.

>arbitrary attributes
Other FSs do that.
>ACLs
Linux does that, with LSMs.