Laptop Challenge

A modern laptop that is:
>Commonly available in stores such as Walmart, Costco, BestBuy, etc.
>15"-17"
>Has a CPU 2.0 GHz or faster.
>Weighs under 3.5 lbs.
>Is thin (preferably, but not necessary).
>Can have Linux easily installed and run on it.

Can anyone name one?

Bonus mode if it doesn't have Bluetooth or if it has easily-removable Bluetooth.

Super Saiyan mode if it has a BIOS that is highly customizable in that you can turn off the webcam, mic, etc. at a BIOS-level.

God mode if it has a removable battery.

Other urls found in this thread:

cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2209&cmp[]=1668
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2014&cmp[]=2565
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Aside from "Commonly available in stores such as Walmart, Costco, BestBuy, etc" and "homosexually thin" a thinkpad does all of that.

install gentoo

he said laptop not autistic shoebox

>Has a CPU 2.0 GHz or faster.
The CPU frequency doesn't matter nowadays.

It's like you want an engine in your car that's able to run 10,000 rpms or faster.

Why doesn't it matter? I have a modern day small computer with a 1.60 in it and it can barely handle four tabs open in Firefox before it takes 5 minutes to load a single page, with no other resources taking up the CPU. Not asking arrogantly, just wondering why it doesn't matter.

/o/ approved metaphor. I like it.

I don't know the hardware specifics, but I'll tell you this, some pages load slow as snail shit no matter what machine and internet connection I open them with.

I am very suspicious that these days, it's the quality of the code causing us shit performance most often. Some of you coding guys back me up on this. "Ugly code" has become a common theme these days.

>Most of the websites are based on Wordpress (Server Side Scripts).
>These websites are hosted by cheap ass hosting providers.
The biggest problems of snail pages.

With slow pages in my context, the entire browser locks up for minutes upon minutes, or just crashes. I know it's not the pages themselves because if I do them to where they're the only pages by themselves and not of more tabs, they load fine. 4+ tabs starts to screw up, but not on a 2.0+ - have tried on multiple

T60p

If you swear it's not "long running scripts" locking up the browser then I guess just go for more/faster RAM. Test with a machine with lotsa RAM to make sure the problem is this simple. No sense in buyer's remorse.

This way you have a better idea of your actual CPU (and RAM) requirements.

Also, about the removable bluetooth and webcam switch..this might be a reach, but if you were Sup Forumsangster, you could solder in some physical switches for this. It would knock out two difficult requirements and guarantee against software exploits.

>I am not Sup Forumsanster enough

This might be a further reach, but try the local community college/maker fair. They're usually happy to help and you might even make some irl friends.

/soapbox. Fuck buyer's remorse in its sweaty taint.

Laptops don't have removable batteries nowadays?
I guess I'm living in the past
Got about 20 laptops of different variety and each has removable batteries, been using them for ssh shit so I really don't need to replace the batteries unless I want to use them outside my lab

>Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

Because clock rate is a horrid comparison when different architectures process multiple operations in a single clock cycle. Even your anecdotal evidence is pretty bad. Consider leaving this board if you can't understand this concept.

Hp ProBook 6460b

Only like 1/3 of the RAM is used up whenever this shit happens, while the CPU is going at 100%. I will consider the rest of your post, wise user.

No idea what you're saying, but the CPU will be going at 100% with Firefox being the only active program while using 90+% of it with only a handful of tabs open, and this happens on all

>What is the Carbon X1?

>Paying more than $300 for a laptop.

Capacity != speed

Your system monitor telling you that your CPU is churning at 100% capacity doesn't necessarily mean that the CPU is the weak link. The situation you describe is more consistent with a RAM too slow scenario. With a few tabs open, your CPU is fetching from it's own memory cache. With too many tabs open, the cache fills up and you have to use the RAM. You could be using up CPU threads to 100% use just waiting for the slow RAM to respond.

overpriced

clock speed does not singlehandledly determine CPU performance
a 1.3ghz Sempron 3850 is about on par with a 2.7ghz Core2duo e6700
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2209&cmp[]=1668

or hell, a 5ghz quadcore vs a 4ghz quadcore, with the 4ghz one being significantly better
cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2014&cmp[]=2565

Yes cpu performance is quite bizarre in this age. You better use benchmark to check. Is not easy as was way back then.

This. *And* because it's a laptop, the CPU can't even necessarily maintain the advertised speeds for usable lengths of time because of cooling/throttling.

Older X1s have fallen below that.

Well, shit. What's the minimum speed/style/mode/whatever of CPU or RAM that OP chooses if he wants flawless browsing, etc. with no hangups?

T420

You could disable all the features you dont like (like mic and webcam) from the bios