/TPG/ - ThinkPad General

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook, and Dell Latitude/Precision if you want the Real Thinkpad Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-ns5f2dV4
thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_change_the_BIOS_bootsplash_screen
willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/lenovo-t440p-213179719/
ark.intel.com/products/122589/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/5b8d6x/t420_now_works_with_ivybridge_cpu_here_are_the/
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=122640
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnotebook
rugmerchant.co.uk/think-rugs-noble-house-nh480-rugs-grey-colbalt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for LOVE.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sb-ns5f2dV4

Why Thinkpad don't make a newer version of this with Intel Gemini Lake?

is a t440p for 300 euros used, but A grade condition an ok price? going to use it for compsci.

gib tutorial for frog boot ples

Which Display? I've seen some for like 200 € with the 1366x768 LCD

thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_change_the_BIOS_bootsplash_screen

1366x768 indeed, but I'm planning on modding with a 1080p ips panel. I haven't found any for that cheap here in the Netherlands unfortunately. The alternatives like a t450 are more expensive as well.

Just ordered a t470 with 32gb ddr4, i7 7500u, 1080p, m.2 nvme ssd, how badly did i fuck up?

willhaben.at/iad/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/lenovo-t440p-213179719/
Try this, If you have the guts to buy from Austria. (No warranty though).

>ulv shit
>soldered processor
into the trash

Yes, when you can get 4 cores

ark.intel.com/products/122589/Intel-Core-i7-8550U-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz

I'm planning on forsaking my desktop and buying a ThinkPad as my main computer for as long as it lasts (preferably W series).

Does anyone have experience with this kind of sentiment? I feel like everything that I do today on my desktop, I could do on a ThinkPad no problem.

Yes, i did that since i lost interest in videogames.

Get a docking station and plug your favorite memechanical keyboard and IPS monitor(s) to it.

Daily reminder that Sup Forums is full of virgins that are out of touch with reality and thus recommend buying used thinkpads off ebay.
Daily reminder that used thinkpads are cheap because they are literally worth shit.
Daily reminder that anyone would be far better off saving their money and actually buying at least a used MacBook.
Daily reminder that Sup Forums will recommend buying some shitty random Lenovo T9000, glorifying MUH UPGRADEBILITY MUH KEYBOARD MUH TOUCHPED whilst being fat ugly unemployed college drop out neckbeards themselves

Do yourself a favor and do NOT fall for the meme. I did and I regret it. The only light I can see in this mess is that my hot chubby Triple E tits blonde GF just sucked my dick :^)

>into the trash
But muh battery life

Owning a T431s, quite happy with it !
(Even if Sup Forums prefer old school thinkpad experience)

SEXY

Asked before but anyone try the Ivy bridge cpu mod in the T420?

Its one of the later T4xx series that can use a 11mm HDD/SSD & can do 1080p IPS.
They can be had cheap, they are super uncommon.

I've got an ancient thinkpad I got for free from a friend that has 512 Mb of ram installed. I don't have it at hand at the moment, but I remember it using windows xp and being unable to install a new OS on it. Is it a paperweight or could I turn it into something useful?

reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/5b8d6x/t420_now_works_with_ivybridge_cpu_here_are_the/

can i upgrade the cpu in the latitude E6430?
if i can, what is the fastest cpu i can put in it?

brand new(in it's box) T460 6200U 256 Gb SSD for
>700 euro's.

good?

Is it still possible to get my dirty hands on a x320/x330 or all they do is now make x62s and t70s?

X61 - $150
- Core2 Duo @ 2.1 GHz
- 80 GB HDD
- 2GB RAM

Yes or No?

Is the meme image accurate? Do T430 really come with problems that don't come with the T420? I can get either for the same price, the T430 comes with a better CPU but at the same time, if it doesn't detect network cards, would it be worth it...

>virginpads

all of my keks

The X220. Partially because the X230 ha a BIOS password that I haven't bothered to break yet (although that scored me a $20 partial refund) but also because of software flashing being cheaper and more convenient.

>BIOS text still on

Who's this semen demon?

Post your cute boots!

How do I change the boot image on my T60?

Not for $150, that's X220 price range.

WTF, I'm wrong. The price for that X61 is $80. Is that a good price for that machine?

I want to completely rid myself of nonfree software and the only thing preventing me are the wifi cards in my w520 and x220.
What are some good replacement cards that don't require nonfree firmware blobs?

did anybody here do pic related to their x220 yet?

That's more reasonable. If you can work with those specs, it's a nice machine. And if you can't, you've got the option of the X62 motherboard to upgrade to.

>Why Thinkpad don't make a newer version of this with Intel Gemini Lake?
the tablet meme
the real question is, why don't they make a Thinkpad tablet? Not a hybrid, but an iPad Pro competitor

I just ordered my X220 today with an extra 4GB of RAM and this is the next stop. I saw an order form somewhere from the thinkpad forums but the post was old. Where did you yours from?

what does it do?

To be precise, it's 7mm ssd and a 1600x900 14'' screen I own. I love it

Installs Gentoo on every computer running Windows in a radius of ten meters.

allows you to install a fhd panel on a x220 or x230 via the power of meme magic

efficient

i think i want that. where's the link?

haven't ordered anything yet just looked around for a 1080p mod since my screen is fucked

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=122640

Yeah I just actually read the entire fucking post and it's still a thing. I'll probably order it tomorrow and I'll provide some updates I guess.

how do i do dat lmao

I am new to thinkpads in general and I want one just for regular use and under 80$.
Is there an option?

T60, T61, T400
X60, X61, X200 if you want something smaller

I did this. Currently typing from my
>ThinkPad X220
connected to an UltraBase with a 500GB HDD instead of the disc drive. Don't need it, never have. This all is connected via a KVM switch to a mech keyboard (meme lvls, right) and mouse. The monitor is plugged directly into the Ultrabase.

My desktop is sitting on the other side of the monitor, with the same KVM switch and a DVI cable running to the other port in my monitor.

Quite happy with this setup, gives me everything I need and I got the dock for approx 10$ (mind you, Yuropoor prices suck ass).

It's the best work setup for me. Before, I had to cloud sync my Windows desktop to the Debian laptop, but now it's all on the lappy toppy and Windaz is only there for gaming.

>bonus: Got a charging cradle for my Nexus 5X and I type SMS on it via Remote keyboard. Living the dream.

Nice blog post faget, now GTFO.

>MUH VIRGINITY

the post.

The benefit of a T430 is better CPU power, battery life, & GPU at the cost of being mostly limited to OEM batteries and the 6 row keyboard layout, which is negligible if you're new to ThinkPads.

Sweet.
You can swap the trackpad but I've had trouble with middle scroll and two finger touch on windows. It just werks on linux.

I want to do this to my X220, but I feel too dumb for it. The manual takes too much into account and I'm afraid I'll brick my only work laptop. How safe is it?

Running debian 9 btw

I just used the official BIOS update tool under windows, its quite safe.

You could always backup the EPROM chip if you have the right equipment.

What is the best and cheapest subnotebook thinkpad model by far?

>feel too stupid
>someone tells me to backup the EPROM chip

Made me giggle. OK, thanks! I'll give it a shot. Would the BIOS update tool work under wine?

I really don't know, and I personally wouldn't risk it.

Subnotebook? I haven't encountered that term yet. But if you mean small, I think the X220 is quite cheap. Thank fuck I live right next to a company selling OEM batteries for it.

I did this too after losing interest in gaming. It's great being able to take your primary workstation with you.

Checking wikipedia every now and then helps in this regard

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnotebook

Yeah i heard the x220 is supposed to be decent, might look for a prior (but still roughly similar) model though to save even more dosh

I imagine there is more than one of you spamming this constantly
why so mad tho?

For price/performance, you're really not going to do better than the X220. The X201 is a little cheaper but the performance difference is not so small.

>in this regard
Read that "in this, retard" and I have to say I do feel retarded. I recall it being called a 'netbook' one or two times, although not the X220.

Welp. At least I changed my grub loader to picture in OP's bios image.

Not a bad option if your desktop is shitty. Get an ultrabase and you'll be able to always be on the go by just undocking your Thinkpad when you go to work and docking it when you get home to get a desktop in seconds.

I personally have a rather powerful desktop so I wouldn't do it, but if you run a toaster getting an x220 or a t420 with an ultrabase is a great option for upgrading cheaply.

Nigga I want that rug.

Thanks for the info, man. Are there any other disadvantages specific to the T430? I heard the Intel N6300 PCI network adapter might cause problems and need to be replaced?

rugmerchant.co.uk/think-rugs-noble-house-nh480-rugs-grey-colbalt

I have a X220T, the left click button for the track point isn't working anymore

Any way to salvage this or would I have to buy a new keyboard?

So I'm a new to linux, I installed mint mate just yesterday. Obviously one of the first things to do is set up the mouse and in my instance that's the trackpoint. Problem is the software packaged with the os doesn't work for the trackpoint. What can I do about this? Anyone have any ideas? I can't find anything on the internet that actually solves this.

The only issue i had on my T430s is the SD card slot doesnt like to read my 64GB card and sometimes a USB port won't work, but I think these are OS issues.

that wifi card is $8 if its an issue, quick replacement.

Oh yeah I guess there is the screen looking ugly.
M14x & 900p LVDS cable and you are good.

>tfw changed my bios logo for the third time today
Looking now for an image to replace the UEFI logo, my autism demands a custom one.

>think rug
I'd kiss you right now, you silly git

FUCK YOU BASTARDS, JUST TELL ME WHAT THINKPAD IS BEST FOR ALL THE UPGRADE SHIT

t70

>i have no life and no lover so i shitpost all day
the post

HOW THE FUCK DO I FIX MY THINKPAD MOUSE BUTTONS

Do I have to buy a new keyboard? This appears to be a fairly common issue, looking at Lenovo forums for the x220t, so surely there's some solution

if I took it out and put it back in could it possibly work again, anyone know the reason the mouse buttons stop working in the first place?

x230orx240 or a t430s

Just for browsing and battery life. Want to get the x but I think they would be too small of a screen.

Anyone have the desktop in pic related from the old thread?
It's really comfy, I want it.

>Problem is the software packaged with the os doesn't work
That's part of the Linux experience(tm).

I think this is the one.

YES
Thanks m9

What would be a solid option for general youtube/browsing and battery life.

Fookin neato. I don't suppose it works with any touch screen panels so I could convert an x220 tablet, eh?

I appreciate the help but 1.2k FUCK ME

t420, you can pay triple the value of the laptop in upgrades only

it's fun

First for retard-level question.

Is there a list of models that can have their keyboards replaced with the old version, or is it just all of them? I still haven't decided what model I want, because I want somewhat new hardware, but the new keyboard is aids.

oh and t430 too

only *30 series as far as i know

How does the W500 stack up against the W510?

I'm seeing a noticeable difference in price, which isn't too much of a concern but being poor college fag, it is something that is a deciding factor.

The 510 at a glance, is clearly beefier. 16GB Ram as opposed to 8GB, 250GB SSD, CPUs clock in far better on the 510 hands down.

These are my primary concerns as I need a Workbook for my CAD and Solid Desk work, but I've never used Autocad or SD on a laptop, only work stations and my Gaming Rig, so I don't exactly know how either runs on a Laptop let alone a Thinkpad, but in the end, I just need something that I know will run either smooth as butter, with as little stutter as possible

I know Autocad should be more than fine seeing as it can practically run on a toaster, but Solidworks is memory intensive as far as I know.

>butterdog

Thanks lad, looks like I'm getting an x230 then.

when you ask a question post a picture. You get more replies
and no I don't know how to help you

Anything past the --30 generation is electrically incompatible due to the removal of physical volume controls. T431s/T430u might also be? They're sort of weird inbetween designs. If the keyboard doesn't have the volume controls and mute buttons with LEDs, you won't be able to replace it. Anything from a series besides T, W, or X2 is also probably incompatible.

or you could tell me what to fix using the terminal
I'm not retarded, it's mint and it comes with shit tons of preloaded crap so most of it is bound to not work.