Everything's a file bro!

>everything's a file bro!
>everything is text bro!
Is Unix the dumbest thing to have gotten popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium/blob/master/BUILDING.md
gib.me/dat.rn
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#What-is-Bash_003f
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

spend some time editing windows registry and editing config files and see which you prefer

>tfw no Unix 6

why live?

What would you rather? A bunch of special cases for every little thing?

Because Powershell's
>Everything is a verbose .net object
>Everything is in the registry
>Everything is installed with a binary
Is so much better?

>bytestream is universal interface
Why no shared memory in single context? Unix is so retarded.

UNIX is terrible but it was the best option at the time and now everyone just keeps using it because it's what they know. I want nothing more than a free operating system with good software compatibility that isn't just another UNIX clone. Unfortunately to achieve good software compatibility it needs to be popular, and to be popular it needs good software compatibility.

>simplicity and consistency are bad

why is that a dumb idea bro?

What exactly is wrong with the registry other than the fact that a lot of programs have shitty uninstallers that don't clean up their registry keys properly? I've always found it very convenient.

That being said I love devicefiles on Unix-like systems. Windows has a vague analogue of Unix device files but it's awkward to work with and just isn't the same.

I wouldn't say terrible, just outdated. Its simplicity is a beautiful thing, but very hard to apply to current software needs because a typical computer can now do much, much more than one could do in Unix's heyday, and quite reliably at that.
There's also the fact that Plan 9 didn't take off partially because Rob Pike is an autist and insisted on making the UI as bizarre as possible.

>other than the fact that a lot of programs have shitty uninstallers that don't clean up their registry keys properly?
That is why it's shit, it's a shitty solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with. Windows was designed from the bottom up to be a platform for brands, which meant appeasing dumbass companies that released unfinished software to meet deadlines.

i ironically think that iOS got it right. not necessarily the ui, app store, itunes, etc, but the general philosophy. i wish that existed for the desktop.

>inb4 the usual
i've been writing code and messing with hardware for 15+ years and worked with every OS imaginable so fuck off

Daily reminder that Unix, including Linux, STILL suffers from the equivalent of DLL stomping, a problem that was largely resolved in Windows over twenty(20) years ago. Completely embarrassing.

it's the nicest thing
too bad unix was never designed around UIs and networking though

woah tough guy
Explain that "general philosophy" before getting all defensive

okay now download something in Safari that's not a picture

DLL stomping:
>A common and troublesome problem occurs when a newly installed program overwrites a working system DLL with an earlier, incompatible version

Only the package manager handles installing system libraries, what are you smoking?

>the registry is shit because 3rd party software might make a mess
How is it the fault of the system developers if their system is abused by poorly written software? Do you blame your OS if a program leaks memory?

no user facing files, no user facing terminal, no configs, no drivers to install, no ricing, can't shoot your own foot, apps are isolated other than apis that the used has to manually approve... you get it. this is what 99% of the people need. an OS that jest werks. i really dislike the app store lock in though (no separate browsers, media players, etc)

why would i do that? i can just export items from one app (eg safari) to apps that can accept it

>can't break it if you can't do anything

he probably means dependency hell in general, which is a real thing on linux despite virtually not existing on windows anymore. on windows programs generally install dependencies to their own directories as opposed to just dropping them in /usr/lib (or /WINDOWS/System32). you can end up with a lot of redundant copies of the same library but it means that running multiple versions of the same program side by side is as easy as just running it. you only have to look up all the horror stories of people trying to do something as trivial as get multiple versions of gcc running alongside each other in linux

>He doesn't pipe \
>Everything | Into anything

Sorry but you're wrong, library dependency hell is fictitious, your package manager should have all packages you use and take care of their library links so as to keep everything on the same version.

And in case you install something without the help of the package manager, the program can and SHOULD ship all/most libraries it uses on the same directory as the program itself so as to make it use those, or even better, give you a statically linked binary.

Everything here is the same as it is on Windows, or much better if you consider the helping hand of the package manager.

i can't install ungoogled chromium. i just have some random tar and zero instructions.

but I understand that's an exception.

github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium/blob/master/BUILDING.md
There you go.

If you were on Arch it would be completely automated with yaourt, though.

A good system doesn't break due to laziness/incompetence of devs. Like Java for example.

># apt install packaging-dev python3 python2 ninja-build
in terminal? i tried that, nothing happened.

export UTILIKIT_CONFIG_TYPE=debian_stretch
mkdir build/
mkdir build/sandbox
mkdir build/downloads
./utilikit/prepare_sources.py
./utilikit/substitute_domains.py
./utilikit/generate_build_files.py debian --flavor standard --apply-domain-substitution
cd build/sandbox
dpkg-checkbuilddeps # Checks and reports any additional packages needed
dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc
I don't even know what this shit is. Am I supposed to enter each line in the terminal?

Yes, you are supposed to enter every line in the terminal. It gives you every step you should need.

Those are instructions for debian-based systems, if you're not on one it won't work.

My sincere advice though, get Arch Anywhere, install it, install yaourt and use it to install software like these for you.

I have Ubuntu. Should work, just doesn't. I'm not even trying to beg for help, just pointing out shit doesn't work.

No, Steam and video game fake money is.

right here

bash: ./utilikit/prepare_sources.py: No such file or directory

followed the instructions, but they're simply broke and I'm not a hacker. It's ridiculous to ask me to do any of this really.

>Is Unix the dumbest thing to have gotten popular?
>gotten popular

On the terminal, are you at the root of the repository?

You need to download the repository, `cd` into it and then follow the building instructions...

>what's technology other than the x86_64 platform?

I have no idea what any of that means, but I realized all the files have to be in my home directory, not my downloads folder. that was unspecified in the instructions. A simple mistake but that's kind of my point. Linux is like a bad trial and error video game.

>a bad trial and error video game

and the Sup Forums poster reveals himself again

no. but it's cool to stand over me and humiliate me. I do feel like an impotent little fag.

Temple OS was easy as fuck to install.

and this is me just musing here, but installing should ALWAYS be easy.

I read earlier about piping into bash.

that's how we should be installing. too bad that's not the fucking standard.

there is no better alternative, otherwise it would've bubbled up to the top by now.

you can share memory between processes

Back in the day when memory was expensive and limited using text interfaces was the most convenient way of handling data

The real problem is when you get memelets turning this into a religion and becoming neo-luddites as they repeat it and insist nothing must ever change, becoming the non-programming version of their grandma who still fights everyone in the office saying they should bring back typewriters. This idea is from the 70s when a super computer had memory ending with "K".

But binary streams are more efficient.

>DFW-posting outside of /lit/
sacrilege

>linux and other unix clones are still not deterministic
>linux and other unix clones are still not formally verified
>linux and other unix clone parallelilzation and concurrency are still not trivial

>everything that needs to be read by humans is text bro!
ftfy

>all program to program communication is in ascii

i cant think of any program that would benefit from inputting/outputting binary data instead of ascii that doesnt already.

Then why is everyone switching to using things like protobufs vs json?

Why are you trying to compile something if you don't even know how to use the terminal? Just use Chrome like the rest of the normies.

By resolved you mean every dll version ever installed gets packed inside a hidden folder? Yeah, that was a brilliant piece of engineering

a lot of programs have shitty uninstallers that don't clean up their registry keys and sooner or later it's a mess ripe for a clean sweep.

>you need speak english and master terminal to install software
Linux in 2017 gentlemen. But sure , messy registry that can be swept by ccleaner is the real problem

DESIGNATED

Is just simple. There's no reason to make anything more convoluted than it needs to be.

The biggest issue is there's so much fucking files all over the place and too little conventions. But I'd rather deal with that.

Hey seL4 guy, you know that your formally verified OS can't even be compiled without losing that sticker because you're retards and used some shitty model of C instead of the compcert uses.

>all byte-sized data is ASCII

That's not really how it works user. It can be anything you want it to be, and if you're viewing it as ASCII, it's entirely your fault.

>a lot of programs have shitty uninstallers that don't clean up their configuration directories and sooner or later it's a mess ripe for a clean sweep.

Is that a thing? Noob question here, how do I even uninstall software that I didn't get through package manager? In windows I can in the worst case just delete Program files folder, clean registry and live with some configs stored somewhere. What would I do here?

Not a thing unless you use either something from xilinx (in which case you use vm or die) or some undergrad project (which you don't because it only runs on one specific version of one specific distro).

Sopa de macfag

You didn't realize that you have to be in the same folder as the files?

checkinstall

hugely underrated

>I don't even know what this shit is. Am I supposed to enter each line in the terminal?

Will we ever advance to plan9 or inferno?

Dynamic linking is a shitty idea anyway.

fun story. I figured it out, but after I got here
>dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc
it failed and printed out a massive block of dependencies I don't have.

Like just a huge list of about 30. I have no idea what to do with those, so I just abandoned my dreams of installing software.

That's Linux.
>Just use Chrome
My question is why does this install process have to be so fucking stupid? Give me a url I can pipe to Bash. How fucking hard is this?

But no. We all have to feel like mega hackers controlling every little thing about our source. It's bullshit man.

Get Manjaro, it has the AUR from arch {graphically}, ubuntu like setup (easy as fuck unless you dabble with the architect {but that's not hard, just requires some more configging})

>But no. We all have to feel like mega hackers controlling every little thing about our source. It's bullshit man.

Dude, you sound like someone complaining they can't use Wordpad to photoshop a hentai-flashgame-url.

I'll try that. thanks. I realize what I sound like. I'm not trying to start a flamewar or nothing. I'm just really fucking smart, and I have trouble learning dumb things unless I figure out why they're dumb in the first place.

I just don't know why I'm doing all these commands myself. How hard is it to script it? Some dude built the software, don't leave it exposed for the users. That's like "building" a fence but I need post drivers to finish it.

>fun story. I figured it out, but after I got here
>>dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc
>it failed and printed out a massive block of dependencies I don't have.

>Like just a huge list of about 30. I have no idea what to do with those, so I just abandoned my dreams of installing software.
what about installing those fucking dependencies you retard

>i'm so fucking smart
I wonder if this poster is retarded.

It was an expensive abstraction at a time where computers were weak as fuck.

Damn right it was a mistake.

each one... from the list of 30.... by hand... in terminal.

that summarizes the linux experience, really.

I'm a genius.

That's the thing, if you search (not even research) you'll find out that a lot of things are scripted in scripts you have to download and/or evoke.

>Some dude built the software, don't leave it exposed for the users.
The user can very easily equip herself {I am great at assuming} with script or package mangers(commands) and general knowlegde of the system she is using, so she can think of the best way to approach the free goodies someone made for the whole world to enjoy.

Okay, but why not just make this standard

curl gib.me/dat.rn | bash

?

How about you bash piping skills?
Isn't there a command you can use to easily install all 30 with single line of code?
How about you type a question into that bing search bar microshill and ask the question that has been answered since I started with using ubuntu?
>HURRR THE PROGRAM DOESN"T WORK LIKE I WANT IT BECAUSE I CAN'T READ MANUALS.

Temple OS is the only OS I shill.

My only point was how backwards this is. Not that you should use microshit "services"

... ?
Because this is bash:
gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bash.html#What-is-Bash_003f

Tha fuk?
Are you even trying to know what you are trying to do?

oops. I'm too smart for you. I know your system better than you do.

Linux in a nutshell. These people get arrogant because they can install programs when programs shouldn't be difficult to install in the first place.

Maybe you should, so you can at least look things up.

I looked things up, the fruit of my search is here which is a clusterfuck that ultimately led to 30 missing dependencies.

Your problem is you think this is normal. I'm just too smart.

>which is a clusterfuck that ultimately led to 30 missing dependencies.

So install them...?
It's that easy, or is there a problem with installing them?

it's easy. I just quit on principle. I no longer want ungoogled chromium.

I do appreciate the info in this thread, though. I learned a lot and now have some reading material.

I think the problem is is that You think you are doing 'normal' stuff like operating a system you don't know anything about except the words bash and pipe?
And then complain it doesn't go smooth or in an understandable way.
That's a start.
Good luck.

but Linux also has a registry....

Well 2 different ones.. gconf and dconf. Though I think KDE also has something like it. Not sure though.

>one process screws with memory
>everything crashes

>not running everything in same ring 0 context as god intended

Is this a TempleOS thread?