/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Honor V9 Mini allegedly leaks in live images
gsmarena.com/honor_v9_mini_allegedly_leaks_in_live_images-news-26955.php

Samsung Galaxy J7+ leaks in live images
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_j7_leaks_in_live_images-news-26954.php

V30 to offer audio features 'unseen in a smartphone before,' LG says [Updated]
gsmarena.com/v30_to_offer_audio_features_unseen_in_a_smartphone_before_lg_says-news-26950.php

Hands-on with the Essential PH-1
gsmarena.com/handson_with_the_essential_ph1-news-26949.php

The Vernee Thor Plus packs a huge battery in a relatively slim body, has an inviting price tag
phonearena.com/news/The-Vernee-Thor-Plus-packs-a-huge-battery-in-a-relatively-slim-body-has-an-inviting-price-tag_id97083

[Deal Alert] Sony Xperia XZ with free 64GB microSD card is just $399.99 ($300 off) on Amazon
androidpolice.com/2017/08/25/deal-alert-sony-xperia-xz-free-64gb-microsd-card-just-399-99-300-off-amazon/

The Essential Phone Is Too Expensive to Have a Camera This Bad
gizmodo.com/the-essential-phone-is-too-expensive-to-have-a-camera-t-1798408448

old

Other urls found in this thread:

redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/ReplicantStatus
sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for chinkphones

Femanon here

Any news on how the new Kirin in the Huawei Mate 10 will match up to the SD835? Hearing the CPU side will be competitive but GPU still far behind Qualcomm's offerings

>upgraded from my LG G3
she served me well, butthis feels magical. though i made a pretty significant upgrade so any new phone probably feels magical.

Any cheap AMOLED chink phone?

Looking for a new phone. Max price 200 euro/dollar. Redmi note 4 is awesome but I'm searching for an AMOLED screen.

Had my Nexus 5X for a year.

>Phone was sold at a good price, but between needing to replace the stock charger because of the cable not being compliant and needing to buy USB-C cables it was less of a bargain than I thought
>Heats up randomly for no reason
>Kick ass camera, too bad I rarely take pictures
>Stock android has good performance and okay battery life, but I missed the convenient features that a custom ROM provides
>Recently rooted, installed a custom ROM and kernel. Not fully satisfied with the ROM but liked it better than stock. Custom kernel with a custom profile helped the battery life by 33% and keeps the phone cool unless it's playing videos/gaming
>2GB was meh, but I am not a heavy multitasker and I don't use splitscreen
>Hasn't faced the dreaded boot loop, yet.

I am constantly afraid of the phone bootlooping out of nowhere. If not for that it would be an excellent phone. Last time I am buying anything from Google since it seems like they are not going back to midrange phones.

I didn't read anything about phones for a few years. I got a moto G from... 2014 maybe ? I think it's time to have something new.

is there a phone

You could get a se for that much of

Reposting from last thread.

Ausfag here, want to buy a phone with a budget of $500 AUD.
Gonna be using it for web browsing, music and some gaming (maybe set the bar at being able to run Fate/Grand Order but I can live without it).
A decent camera would be nice but it's not important.
Storage space is useful but can be sacrificed for performance, SD slot would be nice. Would prefer it run android 7.

A friend recommended the Moto G5 Plus.
I was gonna use Aldi as the carrier since they're cheap as fuck.

Op3t, for what I can see it's 70$ more than your budget, but you could get the g5+ if that suits your needs too, it has decent performance and a decent camera

a girl has literally never talked like that

Meizu Pro 6 plus.

Uses a Samsung Exynos 8890 processor so it's fast and efficient.

lg v10 or galaxy note 4?

Is Lenovo p2 the ultimate chinkphone? It costs a little bit more than a Redmi 4 Note but the battery is bigger (5100 vs 4100) and the screen is AMOLED

wow the galaxy J7 leak looks great

Just recently got a chink phone, Vernee Apollo Lite.
I am really happy with it, just a big shame no custom roms and android 7.x

is there a way to add a drop shadow to your statusbar?

Post your phone history including dumbphones

Grundig M131 > Sony Ericsson T630 > Sony Ericsson Xperia Neo v > Moto G5

Check XDA.

different Nokia phones > Nokia 6600 > Nokia N95 > Galaxy 5 > Galaxy Ace Plus > Galaxy Core > Galaxy s3 Neo > Asus Zenfone 2

Nokia 3510 > Xiaomi Redmi Note > Jiayu S3 > Lenovo P2

Some shit motorola > Sony Ericsson W580i > Nokia 5230 or something like that > Galaxy Note 1 > Moto G 1 > LG E975 > Lumia 635 while the LG was broken > Moto G2 > Back to the LG > Moto G5

Yes no official updates though

Best android launcher? Really all I want to do is remove a few google things from the homescreen that can't be removed by dragging to the bin like other things, I'm not looking to completely revamp the looks of my phone

launcher3

Got a Redmi Note 4 almost for free. The fucking phone was caught in customs for almost four months. I had a refund and I resigned myself to never see the phone. Suddenly the post office called me and I only had to pay taxes.

samsung is a shit

Is there a chinkshit phone that's compatible with replicant? What's reccomended?

ZUK Z2 Pro
Lenovo P2

Checked but seems like it has lots of problem with overheating and batterydrain in that rom, so don't want to try my luck.

iPhone SE is your best bet, Xperia X Compact or Galaxy A3 2017 if you prefer to stay with Android.

No, only ancient phones are supported

redmine.replicant.us/projects/replicant/wiki/ReplicantStatus

Two phone styles I need:

1) The most compatible smartphone out there, so I have some burner phones for my friends when theirs break.

2) The best bang-for-your-buck phone I can get with an unlockable bootloader and good overall specs.

Country/carrier/budget?

So, what's the next best option? Is something like copperhead on a chinkphone feasible?

What did you upgrade to?

My lg g3 is still goin strong after almost 4 years, warranty replaced some part in the motherboard when the screen was going red for some reason and then I had to buy a new battery as well, recently the top of the touchscreen has been going wild randomly but i keep forgetting about it when it stops

Rom: XenonHD 7.1 with microG

United States, all carriers, $300 range.

Help Sup Forums
First time buying smartphone

>Budget is $300
>Not chinkshit
>System / apps wont or rarely get bugged
>No or rare slowdowns
>great speaker, cause im having a hard time communicating with shit sounds
>can run like vlc (?) i dunno cause i heard some phones cant
>wont lose battery fast when using the internet.

Nexus 6p camera vs Oneplus 5?

G5+

You probably want the nova launcher

Camera is better on the 6P

Get a Redmi Note 4X / Note 4 Global and either install LineageOS without Gapps, or install Sailfish OS

What do you think is good for +-300 euro, living in the baltics, gonna buy for sisters birthday, she plays some games and watches anime on the browser on, besides the other normalfag stuff girls do

Honor 8

Still rocking my G3 here too. It's been great but I'm starting to get some random reboots. Thinking of going for some chinkphone

Went from a G3 to a Meizu M3X after BSOD.
Love this phone. Only major issue is 32gb storage and no SD but 32GB is enough for me (barely).

Better than when I had to make do with 16gb on my Nexus 4, that's for sure.

upgraded to a OP5
downgrade in the screen res, but i don't see a difference. oled is so pretty as well.

best adblocker that doesn't require root?

AdGuard or DNS66

Can you introduce me to your sister?

If Op3t is in your price range get that or else the g5+, you don't really want a normal fag dealing with chink rom aids

Nokia 5210 > Nokia 5100 > Nokia E90 > Nokia N8 > Nexus 5/Nokia 515 > Moto G5

Why does my phone doesn't want to connect with my computer, it is charbing there is no message on my phone nor on the computer but when I use another phone it does work. I did formating usb debbuging and don't know what to do anymore

what app/service/whatever controls the stock cropper?

What does /spg/ think of the honor 8? (The phone I'm currently using)

Should I upgrade yet?

Does anyone have the new blackberry? Care to comment?

No, it's barely one year old

just installed this shit on my daily driver nexus 5 and ive been using it for a day or so, looks PRETTY DAMN COMFY DESU SENPAI

A phone with dual sim which supports wireless charge? I keep fucking up my phones usb port

Don't know if my Q was answered in the previous thread, but does anyone know of a good qi charger?

Pretty much any samsung phone in europe comes with dual SIM potential and wireless charging.

Install the proper USB drivers for your phone on your PC

Only Note and S-series phones have wireless charging.

Moto Z phones support wireless charging with the style shells

>Only Note and S-series phones have wireless charging.
what OTHER Samsung phone would someone consider besides an S series or note?

all other phones connect without them and it did before with mine too

SD660 phones when

So fucking what?

Install the fucking drivers you stupid cunt. Once you've done that and it STILL doesn't work we can try something else, it's called troubleshooting.

suggestions for an upgrade from my lg G3? Only requirements are that is must have a removable battery, and must have a decent dev community on XDA

Dunno, depends on their budget. But there's plenty Samsung phones that aren't S or Note.

Sure but if you're asking for wireless charging and dual sim capabilities, you should already know the majority of cheap phones aren't going to have the features you're asking for.

All that really leaves are the S series and the Notes.

LG G5 or V20. That's pretty much it. Moto G5 has a removable battery too but that can't really be considered an upgrade from the G3.

>you should already know
I do, but the guy who asked might not, which is why it doesn't make sense to say "pretty much any samsung phone" when in truth it's only the S and Note series.

I have the one the one they sold with the s7, works well

Since Moto G5+ isn't available here in Philippines, which will give me best bang for buck:

Nokia 6
Xperia XA1
Huawei GR15

Which would be best if my priorities are camera, screen quality and battery life.
Xperia xz premium or Samsung Galaxy S8?

The s8 has a great screen and Samsung cameras have been very good all the way back to the note 3.

As far as battery life both the Xperia and Samsung will be seeing average. The only phones these days with insane battery life are old ones with sub 1080p screens and old chipsets.

>Inb4 Samsung shill

I have an LG V20.

The Samsung seems like the better choice for me. But fuck that bloatwear and I'm paranoid they'll release updates slowing it down when their new flagship gets released

I have a Note5, it's 2 years old as of a week ago and it's still pretty damn smooth, the only thing that really bogs it down is opening 4 or 5 apps at once and switching back and forth between them often. Sometimes an app will need to reload, or it'll stutter for a second or two when switching.

But outside minor stuff like that it's still fast as hell 2 years down the line

Nokia or Sony

Xiaomi

oh yeah, it also just got the August security update a few days ago and has gotten every monthly security update for the past year or so.

Samsung has drastically cut down on the overall bloat that their phones had/have. Most of the complaints weren't so much the pre-installed apps as it was how slow TouchWiz is. Samsung stepped up their game and made TouchWiz a bit lighter. So lag and such should be non-existent

As for updates slowing down the phone, no. When I had my note 3, it ran like a top all the way up until they stopped supporting it at 4.4.2. To this day, the phone still works flawlessly.

S8 is better out of the two but if you want something less bloated might be worth it to wait for Pixel 2 or LG V30. Considered HTC U11?

>HTC U11
>Pixel 2

>no 3.5mm jack

no thanks

>HTC U11
No trolls please, this is a serious thread.

>So lag and such should be non-existent
But it isn't though

sammobile.com/2017/06/27/samsung-ui-fluidity-problem-needs-fixing

>Of all the current generation high-end phones that I have used (and I’ve used most of them), the Galaxy S8 and S8+ have the worst performance when it comes to scrolling and smoothness of UI. Even though the LG G6 and the Google Pixel have the previous-generation Snapdragon 821 processor, they fare better in this regard. Much cheaper phones from Xiaomi have a smoother UI as well.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h2

>Actual in-app performance on the Galaxy S8 is not great. The Google Pixel raised the bar for what smooth Android performance looks like, and the Galaxy S8 just can't keep up. In the above picture you see Android's built-in GPU profiler mode. Each vertical line is the time it takes to draw a single frame, with the horizontal green bar representing 60FPS. Bars under the green line rendered in time, resulting in smooth 60FPS scrolling. Bars that overshoot the line took too long to render, resulting in a stutter in the UI animation.

>Even in the lowest resolution possible—1480×720—the Galaxy S8 still drops a ton of frames when scrolling complicated apps like the Play Store. The highly optimized Google Pixel—at its full 2560×1440 resolution—is easily getting frames in on time. And even if things do slow down, there's a sizable amount of render time still.

>No matter what resolution you pick on the Galaxy S8, scrolling (especially scrolling slowly) has this weird stutter to it and a slight ghosting effect. Not everyone is sensitive to small performance issue like this, but if you are, you'll find the S8 a little unpleasant to use. I wish Samsung focused more on optimizing the whole display and GPU stack to hit 60FPS and run more smoothly, rather than adopting the raw benchmark focus the company seems to have now.

Wow. No shit. I mean I knew Samsung phones were a tad heavier with the GUI, but that's embarrassing.

LG looks like a much better choice then. Or Pixel line if you can stand no microSD.

>Higher CPU usage at lower resolutions
That image doesn't prove shit, everyone knows the link between resolution and CPU usage.

I have an HTC one should I upgrade to the new one?

It's not CPU usage, read the article

I was looking at it but like everyone in the thread is saying the lack of headphone jack is a deal breaker

But is it a deal breaker for YOU?

It's really not that good of a phone to be honest.

Tried it. Returned it.
Bought an S8+ instead for the sexy bezels and bigger screen which is great for emulation.

It is for me, and I'm a big guy.

I guess the Sony is the better choice then. It seems to be better in every way other than the camera that has a lot of noise with the lack of OIS

Yes, why give up my wired headphones or use a converter cable that lowers the sound quality?

>or use a converter cable that lowers the sound quality?
To be fair, there is no reason this has to be the case, USB type-C supports analog signal passthrough in the specification, all the manufacturer would have to do is keep the headphone amp and DAC and allow the passthrough.

Then you just get a passive adapter cable. No sound quality loss whatsoever.

LG Neon > BlackBerry Storm (1st Gen) > BlackBerry Torch (2nd Gen) > HTC Droid DNA > iPhone 5s > Samsung Galaxy S7 > iPhone 7