/mkg/ - Mechanical Keyboard General

Ded memes edition

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/store/product/XD75Re-pcB/3034003_32818745981.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

men at least put the last thread faggot

So who here's going to get the 18x17, 306-key macropad on Reddit?

Waiting for my filco mj2 (blue switches). It's my first mech. I'm very excited!

Gonna get some new keycaps in a few months once the originals start to wear out.

Are tai hao any good or should I pay the super expensive signature plastics price?

prev.

Tai-hao are fucking garbage. Thin crap covered in an awful sticky "anti-biosis" coating that nobody likes, and their PBT caps frequently warp.

Skip both them and SP, buy something like EnjoyPBT from China. You won't find keycaps with a better price:quality ratio.

Cool, thanks.

Don't buy $20 Tai-lmao keycaps. Spend the extra 10-20 bucks and get something good. The cheapest EnjoyPBT set is 40 bucks, and you can get NPKC and Gateron PBT for like 30 bucks

what is the intended purpose of the three rows of F1-12 keys?

It looks good

Should I cop?

Ergonomics and muh aesthetics you fucking idiot

Believe it or not some people use keyboards for work. It isn't uncommon for POS keyboards to have 48 F keys

>tfw I want a new keyboard
>tfw I can't decide what to buy

>Unicomp Model M
Pro:
>buckling springs
>dye-sub PBT caps
>a e s t h e t i c
Cons:
>Classic is huge, Ultra-classic is ugly
>build quality seems questionable
>no media keys

>Matias Tactile/Quiet Pro
Pro:
>matias switches are better than cherry mx
>PBT caps
>has media keys
Cons:
>Tactile is noisy, Quiet is expensive
>thin ABS caps with awful lettering
>the glossy finish is a terrible choice and the overall shape isn't that great either

>Leopold FC980M
Pro:
>great form factor
>PBT caps
>seems very well built
Cons:
>Cherry MX Blue/Brown/Black/Red
>no media keys
>some keys like printscreen have to be accessed through the Fn key

>Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M
Pro:
>best form factor
>has media keys
>seems sturdy
Cons:
>Cherry MX Brown
>Shit coated ABS caps
>LED backlighting

Help me!

Just buy an Ibm model m

They're more expensive than new stuff, also I wouldn't buy an old used keyboard anyway.

So tactile being noisy is a con for matias, but not for unicomp?

It's just in comparison with the Quiet: if you want I could have just put that in the Pro:
>Tactile is cheaper/Quiet is silent

This is just to underline that the fact the Quiet is less noisy is an added benefit that however comes at a significant cost, because overall it's more or less the same matias switch, just like I've the cherry mx comes in a wide variety of colors, but they're fundamentally all the same cherry, at least the "mainstream" ones.

>significant cost
Isn't the price difference like $20?

I'm buying from the EU: on The Keyboard Company the Tactile Pro comes at a reduced price of £95, while the Quiet Pro stands at £138, which is a 45% difference. In dollars it's like $55 of difference.

The 122 model M has media keys

That keyboard is impractically large.
Also
>that arrow keys layout

Well I heard the switches on those boards get a lot of keychatter, I almost got one myself.

You can get a Model m in very good condition for around $70 and the build quality is way better than any keyboard made today.

What guns do you own?

How are NPKC?

It would be very convenient because they're available on amazon, and I already have enough in amazon gift card funds ready to go.

I'm not allowed to own a gun because I've been in a mental hospital before.

I'll en spending like 350€ on a Razer Orbweaver Chroma for gaymes and an POK3R ISO with Spanish keycaps.

200€ for the POK3R and 150€ for the Razer,

The POK3R I had on the whislist or whatever is now out of stock so now I have to buy another that is more expensive and buy the keycaps from mykeyboard.eu.

Is there any cheaper alternative?

Try to obtain a BB gun to make photos of it together with your filco.
Dont forget to post them here !

Why do you hate that guy? You seem triggered

Gateron/EnjoyPBT make the best PBT keycaps you can get blanks for like $40 on originitave and it ships pretty fast I got mine in 4 days

I've found a few posts about bad QC for Matias keyboards and switches, but at the same time I've found posts saying that the chatter either goes away on its own, or that you can open the switch itself and clean it, and this should solve.

Beside the fact I don't want buy a used keyboard, buying from outside the EU means shipping and importing fees make everything uneconomical.

No i think its kinda funny

Do you know not how to clean a keyboard? Also buy it in the EU then.

The combination of that & not being able to replace the shit keycaps was the nail in the coffin for me. Ended up going cherry clear and I am pretty happy so far.

Now that its out for some time
KBD75 or noppoo choc mini

Is there a guide anywhere for this? I only find soldering ones.

aliexpress.com/store/product/XD75Re-pcB/3034003_32818745981.html

Yeah what's the deal with Tai Hao pushing that awful coating? I spent hours scouring that gross stuff off my caps when I got them, it serves no purpose but to make them feel dirty.

Are they still putting it on their cap sets?

That looks like a nice receiver, do you have a good sound system?

Where can I get actual silver keycaps?
I'd like them to be real silver for it's antibacterial properties, but most places who sell "silver" keycaps, it's either some other alloy or painted.

Should I get the Miami night or regular Miami Maxkey set?

It would cost too much to make and nobody but you would buy it, so it does not exist.

You're an idiot, there was just a drop for 99% silver keycaps.

Silver coating is cheap as fuck. What are you talking about.
I'm pretty sure actual full silver keycaps exist, as do full gold ones.

(me)
Copper ones would be fine too.
Just saying.

T-triple F-row?!

Shit browser lost the whole session where I was hoarding all the keyboard stuff. Gonna order XD75RE pcb tomorrow

A guide for what? Its just legos m8. They even sell a PCB that doesn't require soldering. The guide to program it is on the store page.

Not in here. I have a decent receiver and speakers in my livingroom but in here I just made use of a Yamaha home theater speaker package I bought in the 1990s and a 500W Yamaha receiver off Craigslist to make use of HDMI audio out. It works plenty gud for gayman.

Forgive the old pic, it's the only wide angle shot I have. The rear speakers are out of frame but you can see the flat speaker cables running along the wall at penis height.

>that samsung monitor
Nice setup user. Just curious, are you a trump supporter? And why does your keyboard look completely different than other pictures

Thoughts?

No, and because that pic was taken before I got this cap set.

But he is the duly elected President of the United States of America and I'm not going to whinge about it. I respect the office and therefore him.

Oops wrong pic, THIS cap set.

So you would of rather see Hillary elected? Seems kinda weird considering your love for the 2nd amendment.

Where can i get a black braided, preferable 2m, miniB usb cable for my pok3r?
can't find them anywhere

i have that same monitor or at least a really similar one. nice guns

>How I drew keyboards when I was a kid

Whats the advantage of this?

Good gravy no. I don't ride party lines. Hillary's flaccid corpse was propped up so unfairly and enthusiastically by the media that I voted for Donald reflexively out of despair, not out of support for his campaign or ideals. Or at least not most of them, I do believe American interests should always come first, as any nation should always prioritize it's own interests first and foremost.

He's made no shortage of poor (imo) decisions so far.

It's hard to beat user, even still. I think it was the first 120 hz monitor and I've gotten so used to the pixel pitch that bigger monitors with needlessly huge resolution are unappealing to me.

What do you think his worst decision has been so far?
>I do believe American interests should always come first
It sounds like you are a closet trump supporter, afraid of being labeled a racist. Just come out of the closet man, the more of us the better. We know you aren't racist.

Cool points. I can understand XK75RE, with functional block in the middle, thus increasing distance between hands. But for a small ortho with both hands together, I just don't see how you can move fingers up-down without bending your wrists badly. Only if you hunt and peck...

i suck at legos

Yeah, arrow key layout is was bugging me too. I whish there was 122 key kbd with normal arrow cluster.

What keyboard is that?

Filco Majestouch

I found a old Apple Extended Keyboard ii in the back of my school, got to keep it, has alps cream switches and is just dirty, although I'm gonna clean it up did i do good /mkg/?

HEY QUIT STEALING MY (YOU)S

Filco Majestouch.

How much of a pain is it to remove and replace stabilized keys?

Wait, are alps/matias compatible keycaps so uncommon/ludicrously expensive?

user confirmed for fat. has a floor protector because his fat ass is grinding the wood.

If you paid for anything expensive you would protect it too user.

>has an abundance of keys, often duplicates
>no shift or capslock

Two wire keycap removers.

>cant give one example of a "poor" decision
GO BACK TO POL FAGGOT NAZI
k bro

>actually wanting a capslock key

Spotted the non-programmer

CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL

You did find. Just as long as the switches are not super shitty due to dirt.
Give it a good cleaning / retrobright it.
You'll also need an adapter to get it to work on modern computers.

Thanks, and the inside is surprising cleaner then i expected

There is something hot in how these chips are exposed. It's probably how audiophiles feel about lamps.

>Budget
between $100 and $500

>Location (continent at least)
Europe, but it doesn't matter, I can import

>Preferred switch type
Gateron blue

>Layout
ANSI QWERTY

>Form factor
65%. 75% is also OK, but 65 is better.

>Backlight
Doesn't matter as long as I can turn it off

>Other stuff
- must be programmable
- keycaps will be replaced anyway so they can be shit ABS, I don't care. Or there can be no keycaps included at all.
- can be a kit. I'd even prefer it to be a kit. But it's not necessary.
- alloy case. Also, as flat as possible, also, with minimal or no bezels.
- If the PCB can be used with those hot swap holtites (or is hot-swappable OOTB), that would be great, I might want to replace a few switches with heavier ones in the future, or try a few strange ones, and while I don't mind soldering, desoldering can be a pain.

>Budget
Below $80 would be best

>Location (continent at least)
USA

>Preferred switch type
Some kind of browns

>Form factor
TKL or 84 key

>Backlight
RGB for some eyecandy if possible

Magicforce sounds right up your alley.

Thoughts on these novelties?

I thought the magicforces were only 60% form factor.

I like them, but the color scheme and some of the words turn me off. Like "godspeed" makes me cringe.

buy it and show flat-earthers your cool keyboard

They're about 65% or 70% I can't remember which, but they have everything a tkl has except for function keys,but they can be accessed on a layer

There's also the cooler master master keys tkl at exactly your price point.

If you don't use the F keys too often, there's Drevo Calibur. Cheap, RGB almost-TKL. Also wireless if you ever need that, but can be used in wired mode. It doesn't have the top row so the F keys are on a layer.

Get an adapter from hasu, not that imate crap.

I don't trust rebate forms they usually have some kind of bullshit condition plus newegg has tax for me.

The drevos look like a good option, I'm considering the gramr because of the adjustable feet but some people have had the keys die. It's probably my best bet though it has shitty keycaps and only has browns in white.

Found the masterkeys on Amazon for $80

part 1 arrived

thanks for the recommendation user, seems like it'll work well enough. i ended up ordering the non-chink one

>It's probably my best bet though it has shitty keycaps and only has browns in white.
I have no idea how good the keycaps are on Gramr, but I've had the Calibur for a while and they were surprisingly very decent for the price (quality wise), although with a very ugly font.
Also, I see a black gramr with brown switches. I don't think it's RGB though, just single color backlight

Yeah, it's backlight which is better than nothing I suppose.

You mean the no backlight version? I could almost get the iKBC 87 which I assume is higher quality and would allow me to add leds to it if I wanted.

I like the orange colorway more so than the blue colorway personally. I also wanted different colors for escape and enter and those only came in text.

I hate them, I wish it offered orange mods in normal text instead of meme labels only.

I just want the blue alphas with normal orange mods for a ghetto gulf livery keyset but nah

I tried the Cherry MX caps but they jiggle around too much. Is there something out there that is more solid?

Could someone explain why switches needing a higher force for actuation are recommended for typing?

Cause with linear switches it feels weird. It feels like you didn't press the key at all. It's awful. Also you keep accidentally hitting the space bar and shit because a slight breeze actuates it.

What's the cheapest USD mechanical keyboard I can buy to wet my toes into this autism land?