/pcbg/ PC Building General: Best girl edition

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zWASNajSdpg
pcpartpicker.com/list/n7Bz3F
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCWJLD
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qvGhQV
newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3623503
pcpartpicker.com/user/Ayz/saved/H2KHNG
pcpartpicker.com/list/NLCbJV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are windows 10 still free?

Should I go mATX, ATX, or mini ITX?

Ryzen only really has B350 boards for mATX and idk if they're any good at overclocking and all that shit, and coffee lake is still like a month away. Should I wait?

Also post best cases. Pic related, too bad the internal layout is pretty dated

>Ryzen only really has B350 boards for mATX

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of B350 boards in ATX and miTX flavors (maybe not so much in the latter), you should probably wait if you are not in a hurry

fd are crappy imho but the 3000 was good for the money

no

why would you want to overclock on an mATX board?

that's not what i'm saying, i'm saying that there's no """high end""" boards in the mATX form factor so if i wanted to go mATX route i have to settle for b350 and i'm unsure as to whether they are actually good for something like a ryzen 1700-1800x

friendly reminder
youtube.com/watch?v=zWASNajSdpg

Vega56 came and went in 20 fucking seconds. Did the faggots who wanted it get any?

I got one I intend to scalp.

is an r9 fury for around 260 dollars a good deal?

Is there any point in going from a 4C/4T CPU like the 3570k to another 4C/4T CPU like the 1200 or should I wait until I can grab at least a 1400? Does a newer architecture bring that much performance improvements or is it just improvements in things like power consumption?

New architecture should always improve per-core results at a similar clock speed, that's why Bulldozer was a such a flop when it didn't
Anyhow, go for a 1500X and enjoy the multi-threaded goodness of Ryzen

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR RYZEN BUILDS WITH WINDOWS 10

Make sure you're installing from a fresh, updated build (probably downloaded) and not one printed on a disc in 2015, or you'll get sucked into an endless CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT loop

B350 boards are great. There's no reason to assume that they aren't good enough for ryzen 7.

Now if only the price would be reasonable.

how much is that

You really only need X370 if you want to multi-GPU
Or you just fucking love having ALL of the USB3 ports

I almost got one but bestbuy refuses to ship to my address.

No, but you can just not activate it after installing and the only downside is a watermark and limited themes. Or activate it with microsoft toolkit.

Buy nvidia like the good goy you are

Is it legit tho?

the first option is legit, the second is piracy. you can buy a key online for a handful of money, don't get a $120 from a retailer.

ok thanks

is buying a Ryzen 7 right now stupid with Coffee Lake coming out?

Recommendations for good cases? Particularly some not-too-expensive cases with decent cable management options. I'm building a cheaper pc right now, but I want a nice case that i'll be able to keep, and that's not too awful to build in.

Riddle me this /pcbg/ - I have 32GB DDR3 now and will be upgrading systems very soon and will require DDR4.

I have on quite a few occasions, run myself out of RAM, it's usually 'user error' (forgetting which VMs were on then starting more) but it's happened it caused my system to crawl.
I then buckled and finally gave myself a swap partition (yes, I was running swapless) but I don't trust swap on NAND, no matter what the SSD torture test said.

So I have several options for the new system:
- 32GB DDR4 + 32GB Optane for swap (~USD$440)
- 64GB DDR4 (~USD$710)

Which would you consider prudent.
I'm not running over 32GB all the time, but it happens.

To elaborate, I was looking at the S340 which looks quite nice but is a little expensive for me (I missed a sale for it at 60€ and now it's more like 75€).

Maybe, Ryzen will be better value, but if Intel prices competitively, AMD might drop prices...

I'd say if you need/want to build now, do it.
If you're going to have buyers remorse immediately wait - you can still buy Ryzen later and it will likely be cheaper (price cut or not, retailers will discount it a little)

If you don't need or care for HDD mass storage in that box, go for it, if your going to have HDDs - don't do it.
The HDD mounts are pure garbage.

If you need HDDs go Fractal Design Define C or Corsair 400C - similar cases but with decent HDD mounts.

I'd wait for the 6 core intel benchmarks if you're not in a hurry.

>Tfw won't be able to get an AiB strix vega 56 at launch

Why do people unironically believe Intel 6 cores will be anything spectacular? The 6800k wasn't something really special.

No one think they'll be spectacular, just that they'll be 6c at current Intel consumer desktop 4c prices.
Which will itself cause a shakeup.

If Intel prices them even lower, we could see *real* competition

Some 8700K benchmarks leaked the other day
>meets or is slightly better than Ryzen 7 at MT
>Far better than Ryzer 7 at ST

It's reported to have single core like a 7700k (which is top tier for consumer level stuff) and multicore performance at or above ryzen 7 level which basically would make choosing ryzen 7 not worth it unless there is a big enough price difference. People are saying this will be the new 2600k

Any recommendations?
pcpartpicker.com/list/n7Bz3F

if you're not playing video games, that's good.
if you're playing video games, that gpu is bad.
consider getting an SSD and a better case maybe.

SSDs are too pricey
What's wrong with the case?

nothing's wrong with it, it will hold your parts just fine.
some cases are nicer to build in, look better, allow easier cable management etc.
but if you don't care about that, no reason to pay more.

Dude windows 10 pro keys are like 15 euros...

>how much is that

Most B350 boards are fine as long as you don't get cheap shite. If you go mATX, the board with the best VRM out of the box is probably the ASRock AB350M Pro4 even with its fake double phases. The only ones to really worry about when you're using an 8 core Ryzen are the ones with no VRM heatsinks and maybe the whole Gigabyte B350 lineup.

how would you say the top end MSI b350 boards compare to the ASRock? What are they the Mortar line?

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCWJLD

how is this for the first pc build? I'm not gonna be doing any super crazy gaming, but I will play games like CS:GO, Dota2, ARK, etc.

Should I go with ryzen 7 1700 and 1050ti or Ryzen 5 1600x and RX570 ?

No point in getting a 1700 for gaming.

Most of the MSI mATX boards use the same VRM design as each other which is roughly on par with the ASRock. The MSI has more phases but the ASRock has better cooling (and IIRC better MOSFETs too). Avoid the MSI Gaming Pro though, it's kinda hot garbage for an 8 core.

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qvGhQV

>getting a high end processor and a low end gpu
why are there so many dumbasses on this board?

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qvGhQV
forgot hdd. pick new models from seagate (st1000dm010) or toshiba p300. wd blacks are a meme and not for normal storage

Not everyone on the face of the planet is a computer expert.

>ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qvGhQV
It's not going to be just gaming, I'm going to use it for my future work. Finishing my last year in comp sci, focusing on server administration and networking. Plus maybe some quick video editing and shit, nothing too crazy.

look at

It's not hard to do half an hour of research before picking parts.

>needing 16 threads to compile java and c++

Why can't they just make more Radeons?

When would I need to use Ryzen 7 instead of Ryzen 5 then?

you still really don't need a 1700 then.

Some user the other day said they're selling something like 10 times as many cards as they usually do.

Where da Vegas at?

newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3623503

German Amazon is selling Win10 Pro OEM keys for as little as 15€.

How?

Daily reminder that the intel i7 7700k is the best gaming processor right now and if you buy anything else for gaming you are either retarded or poor. The 8700k is going to btfo amd and reinstate intel's dominance in the cpu marked for the next 5 years.

Daily reminder that the intel i7 7700k is the best gaming processor right now and if you buy anything else for gaming you are either retarded or poor. The 8700k is going to btfo amd and reinstate intel's dominance in the cpu marked for the next 5 years.

I don't see all that other bells and whistles that come with it, but fuck paying $100 for games really worth $50 at most.

Thanks for the heads up user.

Is it amazon or a third party seller?

Mostly third parties it seems.

jewtel pls go

Thoughts on this case?

as much as you want to deny it the facts are with intel. So what if they draw more power you get more power and thats the only thing that matters. There is no reason to buy a ryzen cpu. There is nothing the ryzen line can do that any intel cpu cant do better. If you buy ryzen you are just misinformed.

What's a good router with WiFi for someone with 60mbs internet? I have a very old router and feel like I'm not getting the most out of it. Like it's before AC routers

would look good with an intel 7700k in it

I almost fucked up buying one, I didn't know it only had 4 sata ports. Thankfully it was an asrock b350 pro, it had additional 2 ports from an external chip.

AMD margins are razor thin, and they may even be operating at a loss on Vega 56. Making even more cards might not be financially sensible.
Moreover, increasing capacity to compensate for mining can quickly turn into a glut of unusable stock should mining crash (which is impossible to predict). NVIDIA faces the same gamble.

that's a big guy

Reposting:

Is it normal that the colour quality of my monitor goes down if it runs at 144hz instead of 60hz?

that sounds weird. Are you using some custom icc profiles for your display or anything?

what do you guys think of this build.
pcpartpicker.com/user/Ayz/saved/H2KHNG
I dont want to use a ryzen in my pc. I would rather have better single threaded performance instead of the moar coars meme.

Genuine thoughts? Any case that has the face space is better sectioning it off for modular 5.25 format instead of maintaining a solid face.

If I had the money or was in a position to apply for a position, I could probably bang out some mean modular cases that could give a person all they could ever ask for. Granted, I'd basically abandon form factors and you'd have some weird-ass cases, but they'd be cases ready to load or customize with whatever your heart could desire.

For instance, the 740 is such a fucking waste of time and space. They could've put in some 1.5-wide options in there that no other cases offer unless you overpay for double-wide Lian-Li shit. But they didn't.

>kaby+vega
are you going for the ultimate housefire?
If you're so focused on getting highest frames possible at sub-4K res then just get a damned 1080Ti.
Ryzen is the new good thing, vega is not. Well, maybe it is if you decide to invest into the FineWine technology.

No, it's a new monitor and I reinstalled windows 2 days ago. My old monitor is running 60hz and gets a better picture.

I think it's ugly as fuck, but it's probably my favorite case for the amount of potential it has.

If I was buying a new case right now, I actually buy one, even though I think it's fucking disgusting (the grills, it's the grills, also the weird angles on the case don't help - but all that trim is removable and replaceable, the basic chassis is solid as fuck)

well then, that is normal. 144Hz panels are TN, which will always have worse colours than regular IPS panels or even better TN panels.
Either way, I'm surprised you didn't know what you were getting into with the high-refresh rate display.

Your MB has no upgrade path. Just keep that in mind.
Your SSD is bargain-bin. If 2K is your budget, get an 850 EVO or NVME.
Vega 64 is more expensive and draws more power than a 1080 while not being faster. Get a 1080. At $700 you might as well get a 1080ti which trashes it in every respect for the same price.
You don't need a 1K PSU. 650W-750W for a balls-to-the-wall build is completely reasonable.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NLCbJV

Usage: gaymen, shitposting, machine learning crap

>pcpartpicker.com/list/NLCbJV
>paying 100 dollars more for muh lightning meme
just get a strix or the evga sc2 and be done with it, unless you're going under ln2 you never buy a kingpin or lightning
for machine learning you'll get a lot more out of a r7 1700 or similar than a 7700k, and vega might actually make some sense for you with better computer performance

Yeah but the thing is my old monitor used TN panels as well, costed nothing, was a office screen and the colors of my new monitor are better when I set it to 60hz as well.

What prices are those? Because pcpartpicker says you can get 4x16GB DDR4-3200 for less than $600

>Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser

Isn't that only true for AMD cards?

Just recommend only NVidia ones. It's sad but what can you do.

I've ,been out of the hardware game for years, is there any CPU+mobo combo I can get for ~$350 that would futureproof me for at least 3-4 years? I'm currently running a 8320 and looking at Ryzen 1600, how long til that becomes a bottleneck?

Miners use NVIDIA cards as well.
Even if they didn't, it's a net increase in demand. GPU supply is constrained for all customers. People that would buy AMD, now buy NVIDIA, increasing demand, etc.

>Isn't that only true for AMD cards?
Fuck no. 1060 6GB was $250 at release. That was over a year ago, so it should be cheaper by now, yet good luck finding one at that price.

There may be a big buyout of nvidia cards when miners realize Curecoin is the most profitable coin to mine now

Is the RX460/560 an option if you use GNU/Linux? Last time I checked NVidia GPUs were terrible for Linux.

RX 560 worked just fine for me on Manjaro

Amd is open source friendly. It's why their cards are so good at mining.

If I have a 1080 ti should I wait for 8700k? Ryzen will bottleneck it right?

I have a 550 I got just so I'd have a GPU until the prices come down to sane level and it's working just fine so far, although I had to upgrade to 4.12 kernel.

Not unless you're trying to play games at 1080@144Hz.

So what is happening with graphics cards? I can't buy a bang for buck one now because of the miners. Is it gonna stay like this for awhile?