/tpg/ - heatsink mod/gore edition

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook, and Dell Latitude/Precision if you want the Real Thinkpad Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DWGOLO5HTDs
bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Solved-X220-v1-42-Modified-BIOS
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for xx30

I need to buy a friend a thinkpad, how well a T420 would run simple, old and casual games?

No its not for me, i have a T400 and i dont play games but i accidentally all over his old HP DV laptop and want/need give him a new one.

Get him a t430 with Nvidia gpu. Vastly better than t420 for gaming

Get him a ProBook with AMD GPU, much better for gaming.

Can I, a t530 nigger, configure the touchpad to use border scroll instead of multitouch scroll? It's really fucky and barely usable.

thank you!!!

Just installed linux mint with mate. What are the commands to change the speed that the trackpoint moves at? It's a little slow now.

Im replacing a cheap HP Laptop, not a new PC.

As long the IGPU is as good or better than a old AMD APU its enough for me.

pretty sure it's supposed to have border scrolling

if windows install the ultranav drivers and go into those settings

linux idk lol

what do you use your spare thinkpads for, Sup Forums?

I don't think so. I mean having the right side as dedicated scrollwheel.

Do you think he browses this thread?
youtube.com/watch?v=DWGOLO5HTDs
Not my Thinkpad in the pic, btw. Just a /k/ino pic from /k/.

Now I really want a vintage Thinkpad. Which one should I get? The oldest I've got now is a G40.

Hello. I'm stuck deciding between the x220 and x230 (both i5 models). I just want a portable laptop for university (ms office), general web browsing, some youtube and netflix.

Please help my boys

You accidentally what? I'm aroused.

Snort cocaine lines.

No.

I'm considering buying an x220 for school, and have found a few good deals for machines in very good condition, but without a HDD/HDD Caddy. I have a harddrive I would like to use, but from what I understand, if I don't have the caddy, I can't install the hard drive. Can I buy the caddy/ rubber rails online?

b8

Three fucking weeks, fucking Lenovo

>buying new thinkpad
you have only yourself to blame

wow, it's like they are chinks

I'm pretty sure it can emulate up to early 5th gen consoles and play old Windows games fine either through WINE on Linux or directly on Windows. Honestly, as long as he isn't playing something with like Skyrim on max settings or Crysis or something relatively recent with ridiculous min specs, he should be fine.

Should have got an actual Thinkpad.

How does Dolphin fair on it? It's kind of hard to find research on games running on a ThinkPad (after all, they're not meant for that kind of autism).

PCSX2 is a bitch, but if it can run Persona full speed 90% of the time then I'm all set.

The most intensive game he will pay would be LoL tops so i think he will be fine.

I left his laptop in a FUBAR state accidentally.
Screen is cracked, HDD is gone, bezel is gone, Somehow the motherboard is FUBAR too, keyboard missing pieces.

How and what happened? i accidentally picked up his backpack to ask him to hurry up, the backpack was open and it fell from the second floor right into the walkway.

Im not an asshole and it was my fault so im getting him a "new" one and somewhat better.
But from early AMD APU to 2nd gen I5 i guess its a nice upgrade.

>tfw a fat neckbeard breaks your normie laptop by "accident" and replaces it with a ThinkPad effectively turning you into one of us one of us
sasuga user

since battery on my 15.6' gaymen laptop died, and I don't care that much about games anymore, I've been looking to get something more portable with better battery life and a screen that is not eye cancer
once I save up enough money that is because I'm broke atm
I've had the xiaomi air 13 in my eyesights for a while now but...
I'll be passing the current one to my little brother (14) who happens to have a T420 that'll become available
I've never really payed much attention, so I'm asking, what's the deal with these meme laptops?
I've only had very limited experience with it so far but It doesn't seem to perform that well, the screen is even worse than my current one, the hardware is like a decade old
what should I do with it?

upgrade the screen if you have the money

Theres IPS mods out there, or the Alienware mod.

What is the best AMD ThinkPad there is?

A275/T475 coming soon, don't bother with anything else until then

>decade old
Didn't know you lived in 2021 user

The A475 when it comes out

t420 is my favorite aswell

What ThinkPad should I recommend to my girlfriend? I bought myself a T420s not too long ago and decided to buy another one so she could try it out for college. Her only wish is that it was smaller and lighter.

X220 with a IPS screen and put a 850 EVO on it.

Yes. Just search for them on ebay.

Anybody have an opinion about the tc4400?
Found it with a T7200 for stupid cheap

X1 Carbon or

bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Solved-X220-v1-42-Modified-BIOS
send help

i know newer thinkpads are basically sin here, but i needed an upgrade with decent battery life and a digitizer so i went for the thinkpad yoga 14.
my question is: are there any decent stickers for it? i love the thinkpad design, don't get me wrong, but i guess i just want something that doesn't make it look so fucking plastic-y

Sounds gud my man. Appreciate it.

and by stickers, i meant stickers and skins

I own a T420 with the NVM4200

Can I run the original Deus Ex and Vampire the Masquerade on an external monitor?

sure thing broski

It's worth getting pic related and change the keyboard and the touchpad? It's even possible to change the touchpad?

And yes, it's the 1600x900 version with the fingerprint reader

You can pick up 380 series models for decently cheap online.
Just note that as soon as you cross the threshold from outdated to retro, things get expensive.

Pic related, my 380ED with 48mb of ram, 166mhz Pentium MMX, 1.25mb magigraph 128zv, 2.1gb hdd, running windows 98se

Note that as stated in that video, these machines don't support screen scaling, and gaming is awful because of the FRSTN panels
More ghosting than luigis god damn mansion

Its basically just HP's version of an x60t
Decent machine, capable of Shitposting, if its priced well go for it

Try this:

sudo rm -rf /

what is stupid cheap?

Can someone post the X220 Custom BIOS version 1.43?

that feel when you run your finger around the rim

Yeah pretty sure it's literally a sticker.

it's just a sticker, but you're gonna spend a solid few hours rubbing the adhesive away if you decide to peel it off

What do?

Thanks anyway man
I used the xinput command instead

you're the same guy from the other thread aren't you?

install anything but windows xp for starters

It's a Touhou/classic games machine. Also there is literally nothing wrong with XP, although I suppose I could install Windows 98 instead.

Windows 7 would run on it just fine.

Touhou 6 freezes on XP and you think it can run 7?

Someone respond to this, I have the same question. xset seems to only handle acceleration.

Sup Forums toasters are done production and are getting shipped to me tomorrow
Trying to get a better pic of them but my friend in Kansas is retarded

Yes?
Did you remember to set up the config?

Im using W7 starter on my T43 and i can run it fine.

Man i want one but at the same time i wouldn't want to meet a Sup Forumsentoomen IRL.

Also it's for older games and Windows 7 sometimes has compatibility issues. I'll try it though.

w2c

I just figured it out
>xinput
or
>xinput --list --short
>xinput --list-props " "
your trackpoint listed, mine said TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint
>xinput --set-prop " " "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" (your desired number here)
Mine was set to 1.0 so I set it to 0.5 and it's very quick now. Mess around with it and I find numbers

I assume its a VN machine right?

Just Touhou for now but stuff like Fallout 1/2 tends to be weird on 7.

Are these like a pre order or something? Did I miss out?
If not how much are you going to sell them for. I'm making the assumption you aren't going to horde like 100 stickers for your massive thinkpad collection.

X230 with i5-3210m. Is it shit compared to the i5-3320m?

As someone who's met tards from the boards irl- it won't be anything bad. You'll probably laugh and spew a few Sup Forums memes and then continue on your way. But then again that was with /k/ommandos, and we tend to be more social in our meets.

patchdynamics.net

Nope, waiting for them to arrive to me and then they'll go up on my store. I'll come back here again to give a heads up for the drop.

They'll probably be 3 buckaroos each and 1 buck shipping to US (Although for something like stickers, i recommend bubblemailers which are an extra buck but much safer.)

Can't find it on your site.

Read my post

Then why link your site

So you know where they'll show up

Definitely off topic but man has k gone to such shit recently. I stopped browsing there. Even Akg got shitted up.

Blame it on mobile posters AKA normalfaggots

I need a cheap laptop to code on it for school. Don't want a Thinkpad because it's too heavy. Preferably with a SSD.

Then W701ds is your best option.

X220 with a 9-cell battery is only 5 pounds or so.

Any X200~X220, they are 2Kg tops.

You are asking for something cheap so you cant really complain.

Would you consider an X230 i5-3230M running Windows 10 to still be usable for the next 4+ years? I'm planning on getting one for college.

>windows 10
>usable
Not at all.

Now with W7 or GNU/Linux yeah it'll serve you fine.

i want to fuck nonon

Yeah, I might plan on dual booting or running Windows in a VM instead. Other than that, should I looking for an i7 model? Would the performance boost be worth an increased price?

That is slightly cringy but I'll totally buy them as a gag item.
Thanks for sharing your store, will buy.

Probs leddit, idk, I wouldn't doubt he comes here but his language totally doesn't reflect it (x

Just bought a 600E for $30 shipped. I think the backlight went out, got a spare anyways.

Haven't had one to mess with. They look OK.

Literally search "selling fast, firm, need to pay bills" in the craigslist descriptions.

Not really, mobile dual core i7s are pretty much just mobile i5s with slightly higher clocks and it's not a big deal like the x220 where only the i7 variant has usb 3.0.

My X220 speakers aren't working, do I need to replace them?

maybe

check for cables. If they still aren't working then sure. But why do you use the thinkpad speakers? They really aren't that great.

if i wanted a t420 without hdd/ram/cpu/battery how much should i reasonably expect to pay?

Mine was $60 complete

thank

Where do you guys buy extra batteries for your laptops? I just got a t420 and while the given battery is decent, I'd like to have a spare.

Are all the batteries I'm going to find more or less the same or are some better than others?