/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

grymoire.com/Unix/Regular.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme
sourcemage.org/Init).
sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
pastebin.com/i4DALaNV
animals.ivolo.me'
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Consider the following:

# mirror dir 1 to 2 on change
function mirror
fswatch $argv[1] | \
while read file;
echo (date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") "$file"
cp -r $argv[1]* $argv[2]
end
end

When first starting this function, I can exit it with ^C or whatever. I can't do this after it has copied a file. I suspect the issue is with the while loop.
How do I more easily kill/end that function than doing `pkill -f fswatch $argv[1]`? Preferably I'd just press q, but if I can get ^C working that's fine too.
(Fish shell, but shouldn't matter too much for the problem?)

Copying my chromium profile from my backup location(which i was running it on while i was restoring data) no longer works.It presents this error message.I checked for any lock files in the profile, and there are none.However if i point via command line to my backup profile, it works as expected.How do i restore my profile? There are no zombie or background chromium processes.

Failed to create a ProcessSinzgleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.

Hello, GNU/Linux friends! I recently got a free computer with 4 GB of RAM, AMD E-350.

I've never learned Linux before but really, really want to. I was thinking about setting this PC up as a personal VPN. Do you guys think that is a good idea?

If so, what distro would you recommend? I don't mind jumping into the deep end with a tough to learn OS. I don't do much with my free time.

What are some cool terminal commands?

sudo rm -rf /

rm: it is dangerous to operate recursively on `/'
rm: use --no-preserve-root to override this failsafe

Doesn't work. ;_; why are you trolling me.

I just installed Ubuntu. What AMD GPU driver should i install? Which is the best?

The free ones.

It literally took me an hour to find the right drivers. Look for codenames, there you should find the hint for the right drivers

>he uses fedora

How can I ignore/disable/block proprietary drivers for a while?

uninstall them and install the free ones? It's not like they are huge

what the fuck, literally, 10 years ago I tried linux, tried it today again, and it STILL DOES NOT HAVE THUMBNAIL VIEW IN THE FILE UPLOADER???

what the fuck are linux developers thinking not to implement such a basic feature in all the years?

>use linux
>its better than windows
reality:
>no drivers
>no adobe suit
>gui from 1980
>like 10% game support
no, srsly, no thanks, well meme'd, that was the last time I'm trying this crap OS

Where's solus these days?

i was thinking of giving it a go, especially since my name is kevin

used ubuntu/debian/fedora/solaris in the past, not like a wizard or anything tho (i'm just tired of coding in windows ATM)

It's not meant for consumers like you. It's for a certain demographic which is why it has such a low usage share. And there's nothing wrong with it. Bye.

GNU/Linux*

you obviously haven't tried and the first time you hit a wall you throw your hands up and say "I quit."
Install Ubuntu and try again.

there are different file browsers retard ... And most of them can enable preview

But yeah if you care for 10% game support linux is not for you

he's talking about the filepicker, and the only one that has that feature is I believe dolphin

Linux developers develop Linux, the kernel, not the GTK filepicker.

I got shit on a few threads ago asking about Rclone and other Google Drive clients.

Is there a better non-botnet, real-time syncing cloud service I can use to manage my documents?

/r/ing Windows 8 fuck you

>not grub rescue>
do you even

how can I stop gpg from creating gui pinentry windows asking for confirmation and passwords?

sounds like you're implying google drive isnt botnet
rclone supports encryption, using that is unfortunately your best cheap option

encrypt your files, waste their botnet resources

how to fix the screen tearing when browsing websites?

Whats a good video that teaches regex so i can use programs like grep better?

>falling for the GNU/Linux meme
lol, idiot

install compton
compton --config /dev/null --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc --paint-on-overlay -b

grymoire.com/Unix/Regular.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

tried gpg --no-options ?

there is no cloud, its just someone else' server
use what you want, but encrypt or set up your own

so I have a thinkpad right
I want to know what commands I have to do to change the sensitivity on my trackpoint. Anybody know how to do this?

Wizards Assemble!

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
No systemd (they've implemented their own init scripts system sourcemage.org/Init).
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (package build files) not found in the grimoire (repository of spells) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Bash hackers welcome! Come and join sourcemage.org/

Installing SMGL is easy, here's the simplified process:
>boot a live Ubuntu (or whatever) USB drive
>go to SMGL website and download compressed archive of the base system
>partition and mount partition(s)
>extract the archive onto the new partition(s)
>chroot, set root passwd, hostname, configure network and locale, write fstab, install grub/lilo
>reboot
>compile a kernel (preferably the newest stable one from kernel.org)
>update sorcery, grimoires and the build toolchain
>rebuild the system (hold spells you've already built, so you don't build them twice)
The install guide will hold your hand through the whole process sourcemage.org/Install/Chroot
Do the chroot method, since the regular live ISO method guide is out of date currently.

Here's a list of common commands: pastebin.com/i4DALaNV

alias animal='curl -w \\n animals.ivolo.me'

Recommend me a distribution for my restored Dimension 4200 (Pentium 4).

Is Puppy as fully fledged as any other distribution?

No LXDE spinerinos. It's shit.

How to completely remove all display drivers and reinstall fresh drivers?

Forgot to mention, I'm mainly salvaging IDE hard drives.

Would be nice to play emulators, since the GPU has a S-Video out.

Lol, these don't really help me. Ok so I guess I'll just continue using Drive.

In that case, I set up a remote in Rclone, but I can't figure out what to do now to get a syncing folder? Do I have to perform an initial command to tell rclone what files/folders to sync?

Do I have to mount it as a system drive?

What is a distribution that operates similar to Gentoo but is much easier to use?

Setting up a personal VPN will only really benefit you if you have other resources you're trying to access remotely (to ensure only trusted parties get access), or if there are many users connecting through the internet through it (to hide your IPs amongst all the other traffic). If you're looking for an excuse to get into Linux you would be better off setting up a file server or something.
As to distros to try, "stable" is usually the keyword you want to look for. Check out Debian, OpenSuse leap, or CentOS for instance. There are plenty of options, and it can be daunting to sort through them all to find the one you like; just keep exploring until something makes you want to stay with it.

Source Mage

>flashed Unbuntu to thumbstick via Rufus
>change boot option to otherOS in BIOS
>Try to boot into thunbstick
>This happens constantly
Not sure what i'm doing wrong...It is my GPU? The fact that i'm using DisplayPort? How the stick was formatted?
Tried installing Mint and i'd just get a black screen...

Also muh specs

I'm about to install Source Mage, what should I expect?

I'm guessing the GPU, driver issues or something, I've used Rufus dozens of times with dozens of different distros, always worked

I see many people taping their laptop cameras, but what do you do with your microphone?

Update, nevermind, signed up for MEGA and had no idea it was this easy. AUR has a client specifically for Dolphin and it syncs immediately in realtime. Heck to the hell yeah.

Now just gotta figure out how to set my documents folder to point to ~/MEGA/Documents instead of the regular ~/Documents folder. Ideas for the simplest way to do this? Symlink maybe? Mega doesn't seem to like my current symlink I just made to ~/Documents.

Linux has no video games

But it does

0/10

Lemme just add that I'm guessing I should just delete ~/Documents and add a symlink with that name to ~/MEGA/Documents, but will that fuck with the way programs save by default to my documents folder, and more importantly, get rid of the nice "page" icon on my documents folder? :3

Trying to use grep or sed to extract battery charge from acpi output:
Battery 0: Discharging, 100%, discharging at zero rate - will never fully discharge.

Something like
acpi -b | grep -o '[0-9][0-9][0-9]%'
100%

but less retarded

I hope you know how to read bash scripts

curl wttr.in/(your or any city name, escape spaces with a \)

example:
curl wttr.in/new\ york\ city

Update again, I just said fuck it and symlinked ~/Documents to /MEGA/Documents and it works fucking perfectly. Totally forgot you could change the folder icon. Man mega is the way to go, so much better than google drive.

awk '{print $4}'

or if you insist on grep stop being a nigger monkey and
grep -o '[0-9]*%'

includes the comma

hurr durr stop being a nigger monkey and look at my second post bitch

Fuck you

is it ok if i install a bsd flavor on a shitty little server i have?
don't want to cheat on linux, just want to try i.

printf -- '%s%%\n' "$(( $(cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_now) * 100 / $(cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_full) ))"

>long ass command
gues why acpi exists

What factors influence your choice on which distribution you use?

Seems like the main differences between distro's are what DE they're running and then second to that how often they update the Linux kernel with Arch being frequently and something like Debian less so? Forgive my ignorance I am a noob trying to embrace Linux.

I've read write ups on how to choose a distro and half of them are just talking about and comparing features which are really just DE elements and prepacked applications all stuff that (as I understand it) can be put on any distro anyway.

So far I'm leaning towards Arch but using the slower update path as I'm more interested in stability than bleeding edge updates and the only reason I'm leaning towards Arch is because it seems to be what most people consider the best around here and then I plan to pair it for KDE as that seems to be the most developed DE and I predict the stability concerns are not as relevant today as they once might have been however if they are my fallback plan is Xfce.

Long ass command runs multiple processes which are faster than acpi.

Just go install antegros and start programming, browsing the web etc.. when you want to game, do visual work and so on switch to windows.

>What factors influence your choice on which distribution you use?
The logo.

Also gnome is the most developed DE and the one backed up by corporations and will probably still exist in 20 years from now.

KDE is backed up by normal people and it's a mess.

install gentoo, it's exactly what you want

>open source
marketing cancer

I love how one fag removed the other "proprietary" car from the pic, but left the tesla quote. kek

friEndly

no problem

What factors influence your choice on which distribution you use?
The package manager and how the devs operate with the community.

>and then second to that how often they update the Linux kernel with Arch being frequently and something like Debian less so
Not only the kernel, but any software. Arch is "bleeding-edge", which means it tries to offer the latest version of everything. Debian is more conservative in this aspect.

>half of them are just talking about and comparing features which are really just DE elements and prepacked applications all stuff that (as I understand it) can be put on any distro anyway
correct

>I'm leaning towards Arch but using the slower update path as I'm more interested in stability
stability is a meme, stick with bleeding edge updates

>KDE as that seems to be the most developed DE
it isn't

hey /fglt/ can you recommened an IDE for developing in c#?

>C#
What is wrong with you. Learn a real language.

I think that only Java have this autism of having an whole IDE focused on one language

rm -rf is pretty good
rm -rf project

Emacs, Vim. Also drop C# and Learn C.

ed is the standard text editor.

no
It doesn't have to be for c# alone but I do need it to work with c#.
thank you

which is better, vim or emacs?

vimacs

Stability is a meme. It's good for servers because you don't have to update it as often. That's the point of stability. Less updates. For a normal user, more updates is usually better. Wouldn't you rather have the latest programs than being a year or two (or more) behind?

>a year or two
debian programs are more than 20 years old

I'm not sure what your noob level is, but I'll give you my personal experience FWIW.

I see all the Arch circlejerk in the thread and like the idea, but I'd only ever used noobuntu, so when I learned about Manjaro I went full normie and installed that shit in the KDE flavor and have been loving the shit out of it.

It holds my hand enough in the parts that matter (initial driver and system software, etc) but is open-ended enough for me to tinker with, and importantly, to force me to LEARN how to tinker with it. It's mostly stable but you can install bleeding edge whatever from the AUR. [spoiler]and piss off real Arch users by asking dumb questions and mentioning that you use manjaro...but still learn nonetheless[/spoiler]

Anyway if you don't want to go the full DIY install gentoo kind of route, I've found manjaro to be an awesome stepping stone to the Ye Olde Arch Master race.

can someone make an infographic for which distro gives how much ebenis?

Any book recommendations that have examples/exercises that will help me understand my operating system?

>I'm a girl
mint, fedora
>micro benis
*buntu, other downstreams
>medium benis
debian, arch, gentoo
>huge benis
guix, nixos, lfs
>need to carry it on your shoulder
machine works witout nonfree software
>could you please open a window just in case I get hard
source mage
>the largest benis of the universe
the one I'm using

>benis breaking into extra spacial dimensions
OpenBSD

Yo guys what trackers / dark regions of the internet I have to browse to find updated Linux native games like the ones released by steam GOG etc.

All the games I already play or want to play are native on steam trough porting or development there lol.

I primarily want stellaris for now and fallout 1.

Want to install a new OS, but obviously I want to test it out first.
If I test it on a VM and fuck around with the settings there, can I install it with those settings on my SSD later on?

Yep, just copy them from your vm to a flash drive or something after you're done testing.

Also another question can I reset the trail of CLion so I can use that beautiful IDE indefinitely?

try kde neon, it's ubuntu with the rolling version of kde strapped on top of it.

's good y'know