Laptops keep dying on me

>Laptops keep dying on me
What kind of laptops do you guys use? Are any of these things built to last?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/?compatible_with=Hx4gXL#h=14,30&sort=-rating&page=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>are any of these things built to last

Yes, but unfortunately it's a Macbook Pro.

Wait for raven ridge desktop APUs from AMD and build a mini-itx pc like pic related (silverstone pt13).

You're welcome.

Ever heard of a thinkpad, buddy?

Do you even know who the CEO of apple is?

Heh, I remember when I was stupid enough to buy a $200 used i3 T420. I never knew how shit laptops were until I actually bought one lol.

overpaid kek

Shit how? Did it bust or just run like crap?

buy a business laptop and then actually maintain it by not eating crisps on it and changing the thermal paste every 3 years

>$200 used i3 T420
When was this?
I got an i7 t430 for that same price.

It ran like ass in anything more intensive than the windows boot sequence and even then it took longer than my R3 1200 @ 4 GHz + gtx 1050 desktop with 128GB m.2 SSD.

In retrospect if I was a person that solely browsed facebook and played counter strike I think I would have been happy. For $200 I got the laptop with a 500GB HDD, 6 GB RAM, new battery, charger + windows 7 ultimate pre-installed.

I'm using a XPS 13 (9360) it feels pretty solid and so far has held up but it's only been a little over half a year I intend to be using it until sometime 2020 though. The stock chargers are a fucking joke though I've been through three already and just gave up and bought a USB C charger which has been working fine.

I don't mind the keyboard, I type very well on it actually but I'm not at all picky with notebook keyboards because I think they're all shit.

Other than the charger my only complaint would be the glue that holds the front rubber grip thing on started leaking around the sides which was annoying but I wiped it off with rubbing alcohol and it seems to be fine now, the back one never leaked and it gets hotter there so I'm guessing it was just excess glue.

Two of em died on me
Both died because of faulty Nvidia chips in them, first a Dell d820 (great build quality and screen) latitude Nvidia Quadro 350M. Died because Nvidia fucked up their manufacturing process.
Second was an HP, the consumer line. It had a GTX 9600M, pretty good, ran my favorite games, ran tad bit hot. Turns out this one had a faulty Nvidia chip too.
Current laptop is a cheap Dell Inspiron with AMD-A6 APU, R4 graphics. It runs everything I want (even stuff my last two laptops couldn't run). I use xubuntu on it, it runs cool

how do it cool the a/cpu?

But Thinkpads are great, and don't "die". If they do, you simply repair them, pic related. Enjoy your shit consumerist laptop that's designed to be replaced within 200 battery cycles.

Just use integrated graphics on a laptop. (No graphics card)

Get a desktop if you want gaming

2007-era Inspiron 1545
Core 2 Duo
2GB RAM
Fedora 26 with Mate

This thing has gone through alternating periods of heavy use and dust collecting... I just breathed new life into it again in the last week.

It's like new and runs great. I'm actually proud/surprised.

Honestly I just want one that wont break, is cheap and can do basic shit.
My PC does everything complex. I just don't like lugging it around for simple stuff.

>Drop shitpad.
>Breaks into a million pieces.
The Apple MacBook Pro does not have this problem.

>being retarded enough to drop your electronics

>using windows on a Thinkpad
You're retarded

>magnesium rollcage
>million pieces
Go shill somewhere else with your soldered RAM and SSD, and aluminum that bends like sheet metal.

>open clamshell too fast
>warranty voided

pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/?compatible_with=Hx4gXL#h=14,30&sort=-rating&page=1

pic related is under the 30mm max cpu cooler height for the mini-itx case. AMD CPUs are very energy efficient (r7 1700 uses 65W max at base clocks) so this should have no trouble cooling 4 ryzen cores @ ~3.6 GHz + 12 Vega CUs @ 800 MHz.

my main laptop is actually a piece of shit cheap compaq CQ42 with a dual core Athlon II and a HD4570m.

How do you even kill a laptop? I only ever had one break completely and that was a T42 thinkpad and tbf, a 200lb dog stood on it and basically flexed the whole thing enough that the graphics chip BGA popped off the mainboard.

see Oh sorry I'm not a pedophile so I don't use linix.

this, macs are everything wrong with laptops and then made worse. At least you can upgrade RAM and replace the battery on old thinkpads. Still wouldn't recommend laptops btw. If you really don't need much performance a silverstone pt13 A8-7600 APU build vesa mounted at the back of a 16" monitor is already compact and portable as balls.

>Oh sorry I'm not a pedophile so I don't use linix.

Why would you do such a thing.

He probably uses linix

9365 owner here. I really like it so far, and thankfully it came with a type C charger by default. Got it pretty cheap as well for £950 as a refurb with 3 years DELL premium warranty.

I'm still using my 2012 Macbook Pro

No issues whatsoever.

elitebook 1234p

>that gif

you know the old saying here, "monkey see, monkey do!"

MBP, X1C. Dells are supposedly bretty good now too.

you can replace ram, hdd and battery on old MacBooks too. Up to the non-retina mbp 2012, which is the same gen as t430 and x230.

I'm a poorfag. Will this be enough for Computer Science?

Should I buy from ASUS or MSI?

Which company has better quality laptops?

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be enough.

Do you guys know how hard it is to find other XPS users in the real world

>not getting a premium quality XPS 15 9560
>Easy to open and repair
>Easy to change battery
>Literally built like a tank, external aluminium chassis with carbon fiber interior that actually does not scratch easily.

Is 8 GB enough for heavy stuff nowadays?

It's more then enough. I finished my course this year and did it with an Asus pro with a 4th gen i3 and 4gb ram. I upgraded to a good ssd halfway through, and used Linux with a light de, but honestly it's enough.

Asus never gave me a lot of problems. I think it depends more on the model.

Mom bought a HP laptop and it is horrible.
It would consume like 99% CPU when moving windows and scrolling.

I uninstalled intel drivers and now it works fine for her. Graphics drivers were literally making the thing slower. HP not even once.

>Laptops keep dying
the whole laptop?

I use a 2006 Macbook Pro.

It is both hardware and software obsolete will no support and has numerous interfacing issues, along with a number of significant hardware design flaws that force me to re-solder contacts ever now and then to keep it running. I have had to rewire parts of the PSU to deal with the fulty battiery, but now it still runes when plugged into a wall outlet.

I love it, it keeps life intresting.

>Hey guys I'm looking for a laptop
>Check out this desktop

Wew

I have mine for a year now. Literally nothing broke or started leaking.

stop buying shitty casual user laptops. buy business/enterprise ones and they'll last a decade.

Thinkpad P, T, W or X series
Dell Precision or Latitude
HP ProBook or EliteBook

>using a computer for more than 1 or 2 years

luddite

Xiaomeme air 13 was pretty worth it (got one for ~$700)