Why does Sup Forums defend the command line so much?

Why does Sup Forums defend the command line so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/clvv/fasd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I prefer to see what's wrong instead of being told there is something wrong

Typing commands that allow you to do batch processing is a more powerful tool than dragging and clicking icons and buttons can ever be.

Because it's more efficient than launching a GUI, clicking a bunch of toggles, switches, and buttons, entering text in a bunch of fields, saving the output to a file, opening another GUI, loading said file, toggling a bunch more shit, saving the output to another file, etc...

When you learn how to use it properly, you will understand.
I have access to hundreds of programs to manipulate files, data, and multimedia, all at my fingertips.

it is explicit, portable, extensible and just plain simple (for a non-noob). you can't write scripts for GUI programs that easy.

they understand the concept of authority over something

I don't really see how sorting my picture folder would be easier through the command line than dragging them to the proper folders.

Because it just works, and due to its simplicity I don't have to buy a new computer because some hipster, Pajeet, or cunt in a suit, decided that they needed to put more """features""" in their software that does nothing more than what it did before besides double the resource requirements.

I understand this from major vendors, but not from Linux devs. What benefit do they get from making KDE4 (or is it 5 now?) or GNOME 3 so much more intensive than GNOME 2 or KDE 3? They don't profit in any way from the new hardware sales the way MS or Apple do, so why operate on the same "computers go out of date" development structure?

So yeah, you can bet I'll stick with command-line programs rather than enrich some shitty programmer and his boss.

Autism, I mean do you really have to ask

>have $3000 computers
>run linux distro that uses 200mb of ram
Who else is guilty

>150Ghz processor
no

Try batch renaming all your pictures starting from IMG_030.jpg up to IMG_392.jpg to "2017/08/26/party at chad/chad-fest-0.jpg" to "2017/08/26/party at chad/chad-fest-361.jpg"

with a single operation then.

because its a lot of times better.
In my opinion, command terminals and guis should be together, and for some tasks gui is better.

It's not ALWAYS more efficient you retard autists, but it does have its place. Only brainlets whine about having to copy/paste in the scary hacker box anyway.

But I don't need to rename my pictures tho

Easy.

I see no reason to "defend" the command line, if it doesn't work for you then don't use it. It works for me and I prefer it for a bunch of things.

Okay, tagging them with XMP/IPCC/Exif metadata then setting the correct date and location in the metadata fields and adding a "Party at Chad's" to the 120 caption field.

But I don't do that either

>non-commercial use only
Non-free pig disgusting.

Also
>monstrous beast with a gorillion buttons and toggles and switches and steps that still require actual typing is easier than just writing a simple globbing expression

Why even bother sorting your pictures into folders in the first place then?

unrelated to the fact that you are dealing with images

one of the very few cases where a GUI or a combination is better.

Anything dealing with non-textual data where you are not entirely sure which processing would be appropriate benefit from having GUI-elements rather than just being raw commands.

if you know you want to convert from wav to flac then a GUI is retarded

Because I don't want to search through one folder of over 1 million pictures?

Because it makes them special and above most people.

we won't even have 10ghz processors by 2034

>1 million pictures
>doesn't use metadata or at least to organise them
Retard

Because there are no UNIX pipes for GUI applications.

*or at least filenames

So they made a fancy CLI where you have to click a few things before typing the commands and that gopbbles up a few hundred MB of RAM just by existing. Nice.

>at least to organise them
That's why I sort them into their own folders to begin with.

Okay, granddad. I guess you click on the "Internet button" to go to Facebook and upload them there as well.

And what if these files can't be selected with a single glob? What if I want to exclude few special files and I can't glob everything except them?

it's easier to interface with servers, and if you use it daily you can stay sharp, since it's not hard to get rusty.

batch actions too, not that much, but still things there are no anologes with GUIs

automation and scripts, you can easily create solutions for some problems fast.

although i agree cmd line can be counter intuitive since the lack of cues

>And what if these files can't be selected with a single glob?
Then use regex, jeez. Or two commands. bash is a programming language, you know.

>What if I want to exclude few special files and I can't glob everything except them?
You can invert globs easily, you know, or you can glob them and then remove them from the glob. lrn2 bash

Because idiots who are afraid of CLI do mot belong on Sup Forums.
If you are too stupid to remember a few commands, gtfo.

First example of top of my head
>pic too large to put on 4swamp

cli
>open terminal (single keycombination)
>type mogrify -quality 80 pic.jpg
>upload to Sup Forums
goooey
>open photoshop/gimp/paint whatever
>wait for it to load
>click yes I accept the EULA
>no I do not want to renew my licenseā„¢
>resize/compress/whatever with image by looking for appropriate features
>ctrl+s
>upload

command line does not need to be defended it does it by itself fairly well.
Even outside of muh batch processing there are instances where it's just easier, simpler, faster than any GUI.

Why else would you need your RAM if not for resolving your issues?

You don't have to use it if you're a script kiddy.

When you get a JOB administering multiple servers, you'll learn that SSH is you best friend and that sometimes you need to jump on a server real quick to reset or run a process.

Some servers don't have UIs, AWS servers are cheaper if you use a simple linux instance with no UI.

So I guess the command line is only good if you want to have a job one day and if you like to save money.

Of course an extremely specific use case with a single-run solution is going to be easier in cli you retard.

>You can invert globs easily, you know, or you can glob them and then remove them from the glob. lrn2 bash
Or I can just click once to deselect required file. I don't need to learn bash for renaming my internet maymays.

You actually organise your reaction pics?

Or
>open pic that opens in irfanview
>ctrl-s, choose lower quality under save options
>upload to Sup Forums

>Why does Sup Forums defend the command line so much?
Cuz gui is for noobs brruuuuuh

>Or I can just click once to deselect required file.
Except you also had to go through the effort to hunt down, download and install that random arbitrary program no one has even heard of.
Real efficient and intuitive.

Because not all tasks are suitable for a graphical interface.
Trying to do with a mouse what is better done in a shell is like trying to edit images *without* a mouse. I don't give a fuck if it's le current year, use the right tool for the job.
>commitstrip.com
Hope this guy enjoys having every unstaged file in his repos annihilated at random because of his "easy and intuitive" graphical frontend.

>>type mogrify -quality 80 pic.jpg

you forgot the part where you have to cd into a million folders

That comic makes no implication or argument that command-line is bad.

So sensitive.

I have broken my wrist like 4 times and using the mouse too much makes it stiff and sometimes hurt my fingers' joints

lol, not if you are already in a file browser.
I use ranger

It is clearly a "current year!" argument.

Not $3000, but I'm one of those guys with 15500M free ram.

>2017
>8GB of RAM
Hehe

There are things that are better done on command lines, and there are things better done on guis.
Not having both is like tossing one of your screwdrivers away because "eh, i only need that one".

That's it.

autism and a superiority complex

It depends. A GUI diff tool, for example, can be extremely useful if you don't know what changes you are looking at. If you are CLI-only then you are a freak and if you are GUI-only then you should kys.

No one installs GUI on servers, the same goes to debugging mobiles, embedded, etc. It's not always possible to run GUI, the CLI is the most convenient way to communicate with hardware, GUI is the consumer tier, not the engineer tier.

Is the concept of path foreign to you? replace pic.jpg with downloads/pic.jpg

Is the concept of variable foreign to you? replace pic.jpg with ${DOWNLOADS}/pic.jpg

>When you get a JOB administering multiple servers, you'll learn that SSH is you best friend
>Not using ansible

because its often much more convenient for many things.

and if you really want gui instead using the command line, someone has probably already made a gui wrapper for it.

Because it's easier once you learn it

Search a folder full of documents for any line which contains, say, "foo".

Then write a one-liner in bash for it. See how much faster that was?

>implying that using ansible is somehow a remedy for ssh
>even though ansible uses ssh
>and you'll still need to ssh into your servers for multiple reasons even if you use ansible

find pic.jpg | mogrify -quality 80

>150 ghz
>1tb ram
I imagine once computers advance to that point personal passwords cease to exist.

You are closer to the hardware than using a GUI. less layers of processes obscuring your interactions.
Thus you have more power and finite control of the computer you are using.

>I need to rename a lot of files, what should I search for
>maybe it should be something with "rename" in it
>naaah, renamer is not intuitive at all
Really?

>typing

In 2034 we'll have thought-to-text input. And then your boss will want to know why you left a bunch of comments in your code about wanting to be a little girl.

>Implying a simple filing system isn't enough to stay organized unless there's shit tons of meta data going on in the back

Compared to using a program built into your computer...oh, wait, you're using Microsoft Windows, the operating system that doesn't even have a command-line utility for its built-in file compression scheme.

>he doesn't have a terminal in his file manager

That's like saying your car should have little to no shock absorbtion brcause they add layers of obsifucation between you and the car itself

Has nobody worked with a documentation team before? I use the command line more and more since I fucking hate 30 minute meetings where I explain what I mean by "click the add button"

>pic.jpg
Try 1504018225031.jpg, 15040182250031.jpg, 150401825031.jpg, 150418225031.jpg, 150400118225031.jpg, 15040182255031.jpg, 15504018225031.jpg, 1504018255031.jpg
I need to convert that green reaction face. Good luck.

>1980
>5MHz processor
>1MB of RAM
>in a IBM PC
he wot

Becomes most of GUI slows everything down.

Not him but some kinds of racing call for more or less shock absorption.

>command-line utility for its built-in file compression scheme
Like built-in in every Unix OS Imagemagick? Oh wait.

i know theres a program which can open up a file selector, and other simple gui things, which you can then pipe to other programs.
cant remember the name.

something --fileselector | do something with those files

Because we are humans talk words not gestures, and so command line have similar concept

What the fuck are you talking about? Im trying to find an eloquent response but cant.

You analogy is gay. A computer is a computer and a car is a car. Shocks are important to the vehicles safety and smooth performance, like a computer would have power surge controls and decent processing buffering/memory.

Go back to /o/

because elitism. You can't do shit in command line interface if you don't know at least a few commands.
That being said, sometimes I like to use a keyboard only and CLI is perfect for this.
ranger is a GUI application. And a bad one at that.

BTFO

>150 ghz processor
[TRIGGERED]

To be fair, Imagemagick is up there with gcc in terms of "things I install within two minutes of a fresh install and then think they're default".

>ranger is gui
No it's not. It's CLI vim-like.

ok, what now?

True, but same goes to Irfanview/XnviewMP/whatever else because built-in image viewer in Windows is useless.

Install Terminology

The only useful thing that's built into Windows is office, and even then it's only useful for tricking normies into thinking you're professional and making budget sheets.

Last time I checked Office was not built in.

True. So that makes 0 useful things built in. 0.5 if you count using IE--I mean (((Edge))) to install $fav_browser.

it's not that bad.
Millions of middle aged government workers across the globe depend on solitaire and minesweeper to get them through the day.

The black man is face down, with his naked ass in the air. The gorgeous blonde woman on top of him is also face down, only she has her tongue squeezed into the black man's asshole, while also reaching around his waist in order to jack off his large penis.

I wonder if anyone here will ever take the place of that black man, or would you rather continue to act as the blonde woman does?

just use fasd: github.com/clvv/fasd

z memefolder
mogrify -quality 80 pic.jpg

Why? Better be triggered that people don't remember history, 150GHz is nothing weird, it might be just hypervisor scaling.

umm wut?

pls remember it okay thanks