/sqt/ - stupid questions thread

Last thread: Should I run a homeserver for compilations if my CPU is trash?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pcTVNN
hastebin.com/raw/zonojimiro
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Firefox Nightly or Dev? (I'm not a dev)

already one up

On ubuntu gnome with numix theme from the default theme selection, how do I make the bar on the top of a window, were the close (X) button is, smaller? Currently it's almost an eight of my screen.

Needs sqt in the title

What are some of the best ways to learn programming for a total noob?
Also which language should I try first?

If I want to upgrade to a new graphics card, do I just plug the new one in and boot up?

C++
learncpp.com
also this book

Can I use a 16-pin test clip on an 8-pin SOIC?

No, you need to uninstall the old card completely. Use a program called DDU, it works best.

It will prompt you when you can shut down and remove the old card and swap for the new one.

Also, make sure that you download the driver files for your new card before you do anything. Once you have the card card set, power up and install drivers and wala!

Posting from other thread.

Just need to know if there is anything important to know before swapping my pc into a new case.

should be in your gtk settings I believe

Thank you

I have 4 internal hard drives that needs to become external (3,5" hard drives)

>4 separate external enclosures

or

>a 4-bay external JBOD enclosure

No prob. Again, make sure that you do the latest drivers for the new card before you run DDU

I'd either get a 4bay enclosuer or a 4bay nas, if you don't really plan for it to be portable

what is the best alternative to Photoshop cc

How do you manage to stay motivated/focus? I find myself looking at random shit after a while, even when starting completely focused

i have about 100GB of valuable data. It's on my desktop and backed up on 2 external hard drives. Short of my house catching on fire, can I be certain I won't lose this data?

Gimp's actually kinda good,not as many tools built in.

Just turn off the internet while you're working.

will check it out user.thanks

Should I

>Upgrade my 2010 macbook
>New logic board (2.6 core duo)
>Already have an ssd lying around
>16GB RAM
>replace the keyboard because wear and year.
>total comes out to just about 500

or

>Buy a new laptop

>Download new drivers (don't install)
>Boot to safe mode and run DDU
>Plug in graphics card when told
>Boot up and immediately install the downloaded drivers

Like that, right?

You betcha

I downloaded icecat, now how do I install it? I run ~/downloads/icecat/icecat, and it opens two instances of icecat

Kind of related
When I refer to "CPU" in a video game context (e.g. the computer controlled cars in a racing game) my tech friends laugh at me
Why is that

Good microphones around $50 or less?

What about C?

I remember playing melee and the bots were called cpus. I remember playing an old GCN metal of honor game and the bots were called cpus. Tell your friends to suck your dick.

8 hours of memtest86 gave me 0 errors but when I decide to close the test and play a game it takes less than 15 minutes before a memory related crash. What's a better test?

I've got a big problem here
I recently assembled this pc (R7 370 vapor x, ryzen 3 1300x, 8 gb ddr4 ram, AsRock ab350 fatality)
And all is fine, but sometimes every game i play crashes
Like, not even a warning, just poof, gone
I don't know what to do, I heard that some of the amd driver were shit, but which?

I'm not authority or anything but I consider everything you interact with that's not person controlled, an npc

I have a gtx 970 and it stopped working after I switched monitors.

I checked if the monitor, the PCI-E slot, and the power supply were not working correctly, and they all did.
Is there any test I can do to see if the card is fucked?

What's a good utility for getting rid of old drivers for devices I got rid of years ago? Had a couple of multiple IRP request BSODs recently, and want to minimise it happening again.

why not just do a clean install?

I'm going to argue differently. I say start with python to get a grasp of the basics, then move to "The C programming language" to get a better grasp of what is actually happening (Do some ASM only IF you feel like doing it as a hobby), then move onto C++/C-sharp

Lost product keys for Win 7, and the free win 10 upgrade takes over 24 hours to complete given the shit on here.

So I got a DB with two tables like:
users: id, name, col3, col4
orders: id, user_id, col3, col4

How do i replace the user_id in the select from orders with an actual username?

>ahci errors out the ass
>the one disk I don't really backup no longer enumerates on boot
>oh boy data loss my favourite kind of loss
>check a great many things
>turns out the SATA cable just died
Who makes good SATA cables? I've never in my life had a fucking SATA cable die on me and I sure as fuck don't want it to happen again.
I'm not talking gold-plated AudioQuest shit, just high quality, tolerant stuff.

Any complete fuckups here?
pcpartpicker.com/list/pcTVNN

Forgot pic

What's the oldest android phone that can support the latest android software? And how often is android updated compared to iOS's goat update schedule? Thinking of going for best budget android after my iphone but i dont wanna get fucked.

I recently bought a second screen for my pc and I have it next to my main screen on portrait (vertical)mode and my main screen is on landscape
Im tryin to use AMD Eyefinity™ to create one single screen but my monitor on portrait keeps rotating to landscape. How do I fix this
pls help

That processor is an abomination among cpus. get ryzen

Why has my network become 400% faster over the past year with zero changes?

I used to get 2-2.5 mb/s on average DL speeds. Now without doing anything at all its steadily climbed to 8.5 mb/s. I have literally done nothing, just that over the past year speeds have slowly crept up.

icecat-bin

So BitChute is a peer 2 peer alternative to youtube.

But people are saying that because of the nature of peer 2 peer connections, the other side will be able to see our IP address.
Is this true? Is BitChute a meme?

What. Please explain

Run icecat-bin instead.

There was an article on Intel's website that was an introduction to x64 assembly and it used to have a picture of an African woman (probably male) on it. I require this picture for shitposting purposes.

Please guys, i hate to bump myself, but I really need help

give some more details first. What happens when the games crash, for instance

How do I set a default terminal for Void Linux? I want to use urxvt not xfce4-terminal

The game runs smoothly, until it freezes for 3/5 seconds and then shuts off
No warning, no error, nothing

Db name?

Honestly, icecat, palememe or just nightly? Which one is more compatible, fast and is less-botnet'd

I know this is a stupid question...

can someone explain what's happening here? line by line.

#include
int main() {
print f ("hello, world!");
return 0;
}

i know this might seem silly to most of you, i'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what each part means

icecat

>#include
You include studio, which is basically your programming environment
>int main() {
Connects to your main internet connection
>print f ("hello, world!");
Prints "hello, world!" using the printer in the F:\ directory of your computer
>return 0;
Types out a literal 0 on your screen

What are some good digital books to learn C, Python, and/or Rust with? I've seen people recommending some legacy paper books but I don't want any of that.

What's a good alternative to Windows if I just primarily want to use my computer for gaming, web browsing and watching the occasional anime?

I'm sick of Windows.

This meme, if you you're willing to go through the process of making it work.

none of that's true you silly goose

buy apple computer

Best web browser for Windows?
I've gone through Seamonkey and Icecat, but now both are dated as hell and incompatible with too many useful addons. Should I just embrace the botnet and install Firefox?

Next, you'll start spoonfeeding the newfags

What kind of keyboard do I need to comfortably write a lot text in a fast manner within a short amount of time?

What's the deal with systemd and why is it a meme?

Can someone test this SVG on Firefox 55.0.3 x64 / Windows 10 / NVIDIA GPU and see if it renders properly?
hastebin.com/raw/zonojimiro (Just paste the code on the address bar)

It's not rendering properly on my desktop, i've tried reproducing on a VM without luck.

It's supposed to be a Green Checkbox, but on my desktop it renders something distorted

yeah, dev version is the best

Waterfox 55.0.2 x64 Windows 10 with Nvidia renders properly, if it means anything to you.

i apreciate it, but it might be a combo specific issue maybe

What file manager should I use on linux?

Same guy here.

that's firefox? That's what i am getting, so now i know it's not my desktop being retarded.
I have a kinda bad OCD, so i worry meaninglessly about this kind of shit, thanks a lot.

is it possible to delete files on hard drive via Command Prompt in Windows Boot Manager?

What c++ library would you recommend for handling xlsx or ods files (one of them will suffice)?
I want to create a scheduling script which would load data from a xlsx table and write it to another one.

waterfox 54 works

So, for someone who wants to get into programming, is Python the way to go? Then move on to C/C++?

New build isn't going POSTing. I've rebuilt the entire PC twice now, applying paste and heatsink and connecting all necessary cables to the psu and reseated the RAM/GPU multiple times.

Everything lights up from the board to the gpu when it's turned on so I don't know why it's not displaying anything. pls and ty

Fucking captcha doesn't work test.

Is your monitor connected properly? If your CPU has integrated graphics, have you tried connecting your monitor through the motherboard?

I think Python is a horrible language because it's far too limited and it teaches bad practices.

If you don't know any language and want to get started, I'd start with Java then. Modern C++ is also decent to start with too.

>set up VPN at home
>Sup Forums flags it automatically and unable to post
any way to fix this? without buying a Sup Forums pass

>connect VPN through VPN

Not him, but any opinions on Firefox ESR?

Tried HDMI through mobo and still nothing

What should I learn before investing into crypto currencies? I'm trying to read up on some coins but am unsure of what to look for. Any recommendations on how to track and evaluate trends?

Get an offsite backup if it's really important, ideally outside of the geographic range that might be hit by any natural disasters that hit you. Backup requirements depend on how much effort the data is worth.

Seems to be a Firefox issue (), he gets the same thing im getting, anyway, thanks for testing

I downloaded a gnome theme from deviantart, how do I install it? Using the gnome tweak tool I use the shell theme option and make my way to the folder, but I can't select it, I can only explore the folders?

Sup Forums is no longer a bastion of anonymity, its a State level website. You'd be better off buying a vps from a little known website and setting up a vpn on there. Hopefully they have ip's that arent blocked

And you're sure it's not the monitor that's at fault here? I can't really think of anything if the computer boots up seemingly normal.

MPC is now stopping my computer for a few seconds completely while opening videos. Like I can't move the mouse or anything. Just started doing it now. Why?

I tried 2 monitors now and still no display, it's a new build so maybe I'm missing something.

An internet search gave me this. Try it and tell me how it went.

Oh yeah this is the thread for me!
So i'm kinda new with linux other than the limited experience i have from my uni's PCs. I got me a new SSD and i wanted to put linux on it, so i wondered what distro would be "best" and more usefull in long run, since i plan on using linux as my main OS from now on.
Main distros Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, but sugest whatever you think will be best.
P.S. needs: programming, customizability

for long term use I suggest arch with the lts kernel, gives you a stable base and with the aur you have easy access to virtually everything that will run on linux

Tried it twice, nothing