Best java IDE?

Starting an introduction course in java and apparently I "MUST" use one of these IDE
Eclipse
IntelliJ
Netbeans

Also I am using a low-end laptop with linux, I would like to have a IDE that does not take a bunch of ram and run very slow

Intellij

Whatever real companies use the most

Netbeans is considerably less resource-intensive than Eclipse.

IntelliJ

I also use Intellij

Believe me an IDE will save your life.
Java is all about imports and it helps not having to browse the documentation all the time when the IDE lists all avaible functions and variables.

vim

netbeans if your old school but Intellij is more modern and streamlined

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>I "MUST" use one of these IDE
Jesus Christ, do schools really enforce such policies? What if you don't want to use proprietary editors?

Apparently for some reason it is part of the course goal (or whatever the fancy word is in English) to learn about using an IDE and use one while coding so if I don't use one I might lose points

Also I thought all of them were open source?

IntelliJ.

Also great if you want to ditch mvn for sbt, and maybe Java for Scala or Kotlin or somesuch for your private programming needs. Really, nice IDE.

I've used all three at work. IntelliJ is the winner by a wide margin. I bought my own ultimate license

An intro class should be a text editor and a command line.
I'm not saying that to edgy and contrarian - I use IntelliJ for work and my personal projects; it really is a fantastic piece of software - but people first learning a language need to learn how to write, compile, and execute their code independent of whatever editor they use.

netbeans

notepad++

For most people, IntelliJ. But then you may turn out one of those Netbeans-loving freaks.

For {{{Java}}}? Enjoy writing boilerplate by hand.

Nope. It's just an impediment to learning.

People understand WAY quicker with an IDE's language / compiler aware assistance features. You can either have them spend half an hour misinterpreting insane errors or just that nice little popup informing them that they got the wrong type because they probably got the package name wrong or whatever.

I've seen this many times.

Editor independent programming is generally contrarian shit. Half the people who proposed that shit barely could configure a build system or CI or whatever, goes for showing how much "real programming" that taught them.

nothing can compare to IntelliJ

that feel when you use vim, no plugins for all your code

Try IntelliJ, if that is too much for the machine, try netbeans.

>if that is too much for the machine
What are you on about? IntelliJ is a really rather lightweight IDE (not minimalist, but you know, it's no challenge to any reasonably modern PC).

Always has been.

These niggas know what's up. Use Intellij.

netbeans is the best

eclipse is shit
intellij is bloat