/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nvx.com/xre100a-comfortmax-angled-cushions/
youtube.com/watch?v=kjO0eSLa75g
youtu.be/uHH-SqqNpoM
youtu.be/dgWODIW50iE
youtu.be/UWiP6uwKAwk
my.mixtape.moe/joobya.flac
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Reminder:

Inb4 HD600/Anti-HD600 sperging

Any good alternatives to the Etymotics HF5 or HiFiMan RE400? I don't like the form of the HF5, and I heard the build quality of the RE400 is pretty bad, so what alternatives are there in a similar price range for neutral in ear phones?

How does the Etymotic MC5 compare to the Etymotic HF5? The MC5 is at half the price of the HF5.

Thanks in advance.

KZ ZS5 is the meme rec around here.

Yeah, people have opinions on subjective things, what's your point?

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

Your picture's confirmed melanin-enriched bass head by his own admission ages ago.

>Budget: whatever really, prefer cheap if i can make Location: commiefornia
>Source: PC
>Type of headphone: full sized
>Open or closed: Open preferably but dont mind closed
>Comfort level: I want them to be comfortable, so that the cartilage in my ear isnt sore after a day of use
>Sound signature Neutral
>Past headphones: Some JBL headphones that were ok but fucked up, and some shitty ass turtle beach headphones that i got for xmas im using as backup

I just want something that works, will last, sounds okay to good and doesn't feedback coil whine through the headphones

what would you recommend me? because holy fuck this coil whine is pissing me off, you dont even hear it outside these shitty headphones

How the fuck will I ever pick? This is such a competitive market. Not to mention this isn't even counting IEMs

Audio Technica MSR7 - $200 (Considered bright, gorgeous)
NAD VISO HP50 - $150 (Price drop, can't tell if fold, ugly)
V-MODA M-100 - $250 (Signifficant bass boost, nice looking)
Sony MDR-1A - $200 (nice design, tyll said

>Not owning anything other than Sennheisers
You can't speak, Idol Fag :^)

Don't cry. The HD600 exists.

kz5 is shit

they appear to be shit m8

>reminder
>I literally sold my 712's to fund and keep my 600's
>I proved it with a timestamp when asked
>nothing was said afterwards

REALLY MAKES YOU FUCKING THINK

My budget etc., I found a few BT headphones within that price range like the Sony MDZ/MDX series (what' the difference even?) and a Phillips SHB5500/7000 series headphones. I'm not sure which ones are better in terms of quality/durability.I'm not too bothered about sound quality (as long as it's not walmart tier), just something that doesn't really break.

Why doesn't your modi have feet though?

Pic's user is confirmed to be just annoyed by the CLAMP of his new HD600. He's got no complaints about the sound.
The clamp issue will go away, faster if he follows a proper stretching guide.

I feel retarded for trying to hoverzoom that

I'm a brainlet who mostly plays vidya but I'm really thinking of graduating past shitty headsets.

ATH M20x or MDR7506

My budget's around 150 and I just want something comfy while isolating everything without going into IEMs

Just say fuck it and get the MrSpeakers Aeon.

Well spotted. WTF?
They're probably still in the box, user. Wouldn't hurt to set them.

So I couldn't get my hands on the quad esl57s or the Vega 56 (it sold out in seconds) so I've ordered the he-400i direct from hifiman after a/bing them some more today and deciding I like the mids on the he-400i better than the m1060 (both headphones are great though).

I'll provide pics and a timestamp once they arrive. Cheers scrubs.

How can something be a meme when it's amazing sounding for the price of dog shit?

Please explain it to me. If the sz5 is shit, what fuckin iem is good ,near the same price?

Proof you sold them?

You need to narrow down your needs, user, for example, you seem to want isolation, do you need it to be very portable too? There's a big difference between wanting a headphone to listen to on bus travels or walking, also, on-the-go headphones should be sturdy so you don't break them easily, checking build quality might help eliminating a few options.

>My budget's around 150
>m20x
What the actual fuck.

Look into HD569, HD380 Pro (very isolating at -32dB), m40x.

He sold that shit, user

Meme doesn't mean shit, user. The HD600 is a memephone around here but it's great.

My ZS5s are in the mail, so I'll reserve judgement about it until I actually get them.

Why are you considering buying headphones that you think are shit?

On the bus yes but I get a whole 2 seats to myself it's a shortline not a Manhattan style bus and in the library/tables in the hallway at school.
No preference between over ear and iem.
I have $500.

>or the Vega 56 (it sold out in seconds)
my vega 64 that I got at msrp came friday :^)

MDR7506 is waaay better than the M20X, user, a better ATH option would be the M40X (which is actually a little closer to neutral than the MDR7506, still, the MDR7506 is built like a tank, if later you decide to get auray sheep skin pads for it you will be getting a headphone for life.

I'm not I just made a list of closed back stuff above $150 really

Because I chose to put blu-tack underneath so the entire unit is stuck solid in place. This stuff isn't cheap, I don't want it getting knocked off my desk for some reason. And on top of that, plugging in different headphones makes these things move all over the place. It's very easy to lock small amps down with blu-tack.

>So I couldn't get my hands on the quad esl57s or the Vega 56 (it sold out in seconds)
You'll get more chances re: Vega 56. I recommend BeautifulSoup's python bindings if you're in a hurry. Friend got his at MSRP (scan.co.uk). Murika might be somewhat harder.
>I've ordered the he-400i direct from hifiman after a/bing them some more today and deciding I like the mids on the he-400i better than the m1060 (both headphones are great though).
Great. Good luck with Hifiman. It's too bad you don't have HD600 to compare them against.
pic+timestamp

7506 gets outperformed by tons of shit, especially chink IEMs at the same or cheaper price point.

Don't forget about the other amplifier for music. If you're not drinking while listening then you're missing the full experience.

Proof you're not a virgin? You do this every time, and say nothing when proof is provided.

You lucky fucker.

My rx480 does really well on destiny 2 but I'm looking to max things out. Hopefully there's new stock in october for the Rx 56 because I wanna build my son a comp for it using the rx480 so we can play together.

>-gatari figurines
>madoka wallscroll
>hd600
>cider
Excellent taste, user.

>My ZS5s are in the mail, so I'll reserve judgement about it until I actually get them.

Then do that and shut the fuck up until you know otherwise. What was your actual goal here? jesus christ anonymous websites were a mistake.

What should I get, Sup Forums

Etymotic Hf5
Rockit r50
Vsonic GR07

I'm looking for good isolation, durability/build quality, as well as comfort. I'm a pleb and I simply use my computer's default sound card or my cellphone, no amp.

I mostly play vidya, but I listen to classical music, weeb music, jazz and lofi hip hop.

Ok, i get why you need isolation, check which options have detachable cable, it's usually the first thing to get ruined, next check which ones can have pads replaced.
You can also see how the isolation is on most measurements websites.
FR is a personal thing, but in my experience something leaning towards bassy sounds better on bus rides since the engine tends to swallow most of the bass during the ride.

To tell someone of a common recommendation? Why are you so butthurt?

Not user, but looks like I was wrong anyway

Not me, but I did ask last time :^)

I've done plenty of comparison with the hd600 and desu I just don't like the headphone for the price. Its not bad, but not anything special especially for the price. I've given them plenty of chances but after 20-25 mins of listening to them at a time it's just boring.

You know there are a ton of other options at $100? I think the simgot en700 bass has a very easy to like sound. I rec'd them to my good friend and he loves them.
Hf5 is accurate as fuck but some people complain about no bass and negative sound stage.

I said the 7506 is built like a tank, what do you suggest that has better build quality on the same price range?

I was f5ing my laptop on amazon when it dropped and then exactly when it did I lost connection. Almost pooped my pants, booked it to my desktop and ordered, stock disappeared right after I ordered

We were too busy with you and your brother.

I'm not arguing build quality, just performance. also the cable goes out after 4 years so unless you have solder skills then it's not buy it for life.

You could still get them for your son. And swap them after a week or so with your HE-400i
>boring
They're not meant to add or remove anything to the sound, that's the appeal.

m8 I can't listen to music sober anymore. It's fucking boring. I'm a beer/cider man but it's day 4 in a row for me so I needed something stronger.

I would prefer them to sound shitty on the 45 min bus and breath taking in the library and at home. I think I'm gonna buy the psb 4u, msr7, and an ultrasone 750 and return all but one.
Ultrasone has an fr that I think may be ideal but it could also be shit.
Actually no fuck what about Iem? Surely I can get gold from China for that kind of money.
I will never be able to decide

But you provided a timestamp of your HD 600s? That doesn't mean anything, does it?

>near the same price
There are no good sounding iems in this budget.

It means is the same user. Why would he lie about selling the k712? Christ.

>cable goes out after 4 years
How though? Not even arguing that a non-detachable cable is a good thing, i'm with you on that one, but my v6 has been holding up five for at least 5 years just fine and i got it after meeting people who it for much longer.

>Would he lie about selling the K712?
Yes :^)
>It means the same user
Same user to who?

Same user that before shown pic of k712.

You were too busy remembering a random poster on an anonymous website rather than actually knowing what the fuck you're talking about.

Imagine being this weird.

>Same
Did user also sell his Fostex? I don't believe you

I'm just going to give him my status audio Cb-1s when I build him the comp. he'll be fine with that.

The zs5 doesn't sound good? Not even for the price?

I just helped a dude earlier who had a right ear cup go out, actually. That was the v6 but it happens to all similar models. the cord is heavy and the solder connection is weak so overtime gravity and play makes it loosen and your right ear stops working. It's hit or miss because while my dad has one that has lasted forever, mine and my friends only lasted a few years. 7506 detachable cable mods are very common

i know that feel all too well

>HD25+ - $200 (no bass no mids or shit tyll measurements ugly)
Tyll's first measurement of it was booty cheeks. The second however from 2012 I think is a good seal on them.

>Not even for the price?
What do you mean? They sound bad and I bet there are many other chink iems which sound as bad and have even lower price.

Your pic is literally me yesterday. I need at least 4 days off in order to have a good night of drinking. Even then it's questionable most of the time.

But you could make pics of it next to the HE-400i, with timestamp and everything, and make all sorts of claims.
The amounts of fun you're passing on.

>It's hit or miss
Yeah, i suppose you are right about that,, detachable cable options are always safer.
>7506 detachable cable mods are very common
Yeah, i think of modding mine from time to time , but i figured that if it want broken i shouldn't fix it, maybe in the future i try something.

Do it, not user. BTFO the Sennshills!

They sound bad? ok. What sounds good to you? don'nt mention iems because I haven't tried enough of them in general.

What full sized headphones sounds great to you, compared to the zs5?

put some NVX angled earpads on them
nvx.com/xre100a-comfortmax-angled-cushions/

post high quality audiophile music please

youtube.com/watch?v=kjO0eSLa75g

As priceless as that sounds, spending $300 on headphones I don't even like from personal experience just to make sennshills shit their pants seems counterproductive.

Maybe I'll take a few pics of the hifi shop I listen to headphones at and their wall of cans.

>High quality
>YouTube
Dumb Idol poster

Ayyy, take your time. Not that they'd believe anyone anyway, but think of the shitposting fuel

youtu.be/uHH-SqqNpoM
youtu.be/dgWODIW50iE
youtu.be/UWiP6uwKAwk

>that fucking chorus

I feel sorry for you, user. So I'm posting this:
my.mixtape.moe/joobya.flac
Enjoy.

honestly YouTube isn't a bad source for music. Pretty sure you can upload 320kb/s audio to it.

If I remember correctly, didn't they do some sort of volume correction as well?

Last time I checked, it was YouTube's shit-tier compression

You say this like the anti 600 people aren't the ones with an obvious agenda. As an outsider I'm here to tell you that it's weird.

Where do you think we are?

>Pretty sure you can upload 320kb/s audio to it.
And FLAC. So please, always upload FLAC. They'll transcode anything you send them, but it's definitely best if the source is lossless.

See >hating on idols
Confirmed psychopath.

pls help unless i should go somewhere else

/hpg/ has been ruined by one tripfag.

Where else am I supposed to go for a tiny bit of random headphone talk when I'm drunk? Head-fi? are you fucking mad?

HD650 are kinda nice to chill with because of their sound signature.

That's pathetic.

HD579.

>obvious agenda
I never liked the hd600s even when I was younger, and my original posts were for my personal amusement.

The reaction though, the intense combination of autistic fetishistic worship of a headphone model, the cringy misinterpreting of audio studies to fit the narrative of this one headphone model, is absolutely hilarious. So I kept going.

Steely Dan, Linkin Park, the list goes on...

Nah, i'd say Sennshill is worse. DiPolar at least makes decent recommendations when he isn't shitposting. Sennshill can't recommend anything BUT Sennheiser

>ruined by one tripfag
>not filtering
you did this to yourself

I don't know about competitive market so much as there there are very low barriers to market entry. Anyone willing to start a small business can just jump into the headphone market and start producing crap.

It isn't necessarily a matter of placing it on the coupler. The headphone could just be defective.
I mention this since something of that sort happened to my own headphones and the HD25 was one of them.

RE400 and HF5 have similar form factor. HF5 is the slimmer and easier to wear version of the MC5. MC5 barrel makes it harder to fit.
MC5 was usually around a similar price as the slimmer MK5.

They still sell the Rockit R50? I thought that company shut down years ago. Not like the R50 was a particularly unique design, it's built on a general OEM kit.
GR07 is too heavily vented to isolate well.
HF5 can work on isolation. Not everyone likes the bundled sleeves. Westone Star, Comply T-100 foam, Shure Foam, and the Klipsch sleeves are alternatives. Not sure about the ruggedized build, but it's not especially frail.
May as well consider the SE215. People seem to like the fit more. Bass heavy.

>upload 320 kbps to YouTube
>YouTube transcodes it to 192 kbps
>128 kbps if it's an SD video
>using lossy to lossy compression
>ever
You are a retard. YouTube is awful for music. Transcode FLAC, or listen to FLAC, or nothing

HD580

>sennshill
Is a comical character created by some sennhater. It's not a real sennheiser shill.

As far as I'm aware, there aren't any actual shills. There's quite a lot of confirmed HD600 owners hanging around /hpg/ though.

Headphones discord channel.