Opinions on eclipse Sup Forums?

Opinions on eclipse Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

jetbrains.com/idea/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't like it.l

Nah. I prefer IntelliJ.

Arguably this strongly has to do with Eclipse and plugins and everything breaking on me for years while occupying too much RAM (which maybe it no longer does). but IntelliJ was just so much easier all along.

it's okay, but the UX is pretty bad. I prefer intellij idea, bu it's very important that there be a viable libre alternative around

>he hasn't tried eclipse oxygen

IntelliJ Idea (CE) is libre. Apache 2.0.

Sure it's good that there are more projects, but uh, it's really not like eclipse is the only one.

No. But after over ten 10 releases that pretty much always broke (particularly plugins) multiple times BETWEEN releases, I can't say I particularly feel a need to try it.

Meanwhile IntelliJ broke a minor thing once. I think. Maybe twice. And even stuff I only just started trying at the time like Scala and SBT always worked better.

Well, maybe I'll try Oxygen at some point, but honestly, I'm cautious of the Eclipse project and its enterprise-yet-fucking-buggy programming by now.

>java
>ever

Yep, running a lot of the world's software, and there's worse.

Not that I love Java, but it's at least not VB or Python.

doesn't count since it doesn't support Serious Business(tm) stuff

Java is great

I use eclipse for fortran

How did you fuck up the list this badly?

jetbrains.com/idea/features/editions_comparison_matrix.html

he did

now what?

>occupying too much RAM

It'll use less ram and run a lot faster if you disable background processes like content assist.

Nah, I wanted and still want most code assisting features, including those that need a form of compiler.

They're saving time. Plus it was fast enough on IntelliJ and other IDE.

it works pretty ok.
I just use the vim plugin and it's pretty much good enough.

the only problem I have with it is OpenJDK font rendering, but whatever. It's bearable enough.

I never bothered to use the gui bullshit for stuff like git integration or the gradle crap or building. I pretty much only use it for editing and do almost everything not related to the .java source files in a terminal using vim, gradle, git, whatever directly.

Works, if you don't have too high expectations on GUI design and responsiveness.
That being said, you can improve #2 a lot by turning off needless rubbish like spell checking.

Simple. I like it. And I like how smart it is finding libraries (C++ projects), even If it doesn't find at first it will find when I build the project.

But eats too much RAM. If I could get its Intellisense behavior work in a simple 'text editor' like IDE I'd use it.

My teachers made me use it. I don't know if it's good or not.

>My teachers made me use it. I don't know if it's good or not.
Idiot

I use it because Im a total fucking newb and it was the only one I heard of

nothing like vim

bloat af

this is my approach too. than i switched to a simple-ass text editor.

i dont see any advantage to using ide's to text editors

Our manchildren

You can get some of that to work in ecclim for vim, but it's not really a huge difference because you're still running eclipse in the background.

You can install it on a headless server and just do it that way, which would negate the RAM usage on your local machine, but it still isn't ideal.

obsoleted