Why does Sup Forums hate Python so much?

Why does Sup Forums hate Python so much?

What doesn't Sup Forums hate?

the jews apparently

thinkpads

Sup Forums just likes to be contrarian, Sup Forums hates jews therefore Sup Forums must love them to be contrarian

Because it isn't Haskell.

bump, does anyone have a real answer?

Why do people hate niggers so much?

Why the fuck do you care? It's one of the better and more popular languages out there, therefore Sup Forums hates it. And Sup Forums hates what is simple and popular.

Are you implying Python is the nigger of programming languages?

Basically yes. I mean it's all relative. There's be no point in giving it such a distinction in 20 years when it's long dead and buried and some other shitty language has taken its place as the nigger.

I can take some guesses

>it has some really annoying quirks (whitespaces, etc) that are almost universally acknowledged to be a bad idea
>the designers are super opinionated to the point where they've tried to remove basic functionality that isn't "Pythonic" enough (e.g. lambda functions)
>all of its success in data science, machine learning etc. is really due to good C/C++ libraries, not by any virtue of Python itself
>its bad at OO, bad at functional programming, and basically teaches bad habits to new students

That said, it's okay as a glue language. However, it is irritating enough that I really wish something better would replace it in data/math, like Julia or something.

because it's easy to use. Sup Forums hates anything that's too easy. macs, ubuntu, python, you name it

People like Python only because the syntax is aesthetically nice and psuedocode-like. When you get past superficial level you see that Python is a very poorly designed language, its very inconsistent with lots of hacks and cludges to make things work.
if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

I only hate it because it is pushed as this "easy to learn language everyone should start with".
It is not easier to learn than anything else and I haven't seen any good tutorials on the language, so I don't see why this meme is pushed.

I like Julia too, its fast as fuck

>both steal others hardwork
yes

1) It attracts so many noob programmers of the worst kind. If see someone asking questions about learning C, you usually can expect the person to have put some effort in. Questions are more like "OK, I'm doing some pointer arithmetics here but I always get the warong result. Can you give me a hint?" Now when Python """programmers""" ask questions it's more like "Hey guzy, how do I do this 'for-loop'..??!1 xD". They make terrible mistakes, because the language gives you a false sense of "programming is easy, let's all code!".

2) The data structures are not so great. In languages like Lisp or Ruby you have powerful data structures that you can immediately use and have great iterators/filters already included. In Python you have to import things like "functools" and "operator" which is just stupid for a scripting language.

3) Forced indention isn't cool. No language after python copied this concepts, because it's just annoying. You are forced to write only short functions, because when function bodies are longer, you always have to check twice if everything is correctly. I found myself realigning code areas more than once.

4) Python people are usually pretty condescending. Ask a Ruby guy about Python and he'll say something like "Well, python is a little bit quirky, but overall it's not a bad language." Ask a Python guy about Ruby or Perl and he'll say something like "Well there's nothing in Perl that Python can't do better. Ruby? OMG hipster-tier shit! LOL rails sucks so much!! xD No, I haven't actually programmed with Ruby, why do you ask?"

5) Python gets way more attention than it deserves. I blame the colleges that adopted Python as language for freshmen. Why not something decent like C, Lisp or even Java?

6) Python is good for some things, but similar to JavaScript or Java people thought that you should use it for everything, which isn't a good idea. For a lot of things python is the right tool, for other things it's just bad.

You'll see Python supporters on this board all the time. It doesn't matter what you post about someone will come along and hate it and someone will argue. That's the beauty of this board.

Python is so ubiquitous these days that really there is no excuse for not knowing it. I prefer Ruby but I still need Python at work all the time.

Sup Forumsfags detected. Your board isn't some paragon of antisemitism. If you weren't utter newfags, you'd know that kike tricks are hated pretty much everywhere on this website.

Pol=mlp

Should be treated the same

You'll be happy to know that when I was in college in 1998, first programming class was Scheme (lisp), with subsequent classes all using C++ or Java. CS majors were required to take an Asembly class as well.

Why doesn't Sup Forums hate Python more?

Any good college still teaches students some sort of Assembly, mine did MIPS. C is still taught, but only on a basic level. You're expected to experiment with it and gain further knowledge for subsequent classes, like Operating System Design. The last language they teach is Java, only cause it's pretty much the industry standard for a bunch of shit nowadays.
Most classes leave you to your own devices and don't hold your hand through teaching new languages, only the first 3 or so classes are about getting to grips with a new programming paradigm or language. After the class that teaches C, pretty much every class is about doing projects in whatever language you choose.

They tell me higher languages are bad and things will run slower

Most people like C and C++ at least that's the impression I got from visiting g

>tfw at one of those colleges

I really don't know why they don't just add another course of C in it's place

>Why does Sup Forums hate Python so much?

because it's good.

That is literally the worst example you could think of to make your point.
You don't need that statement in any properly structured package.

The __main__.py file is the entry point module, like the main function in C:
==> testpkg/__main__.py testpkg/run.py

so good that a fully optimized python code is about 2 to 10 times slower than the fully optimized C++ code

is Ruby faster?

Topkek

Most of Sup Forums are 1st or 2nd year Comp Sci. (brainlet) undergrads who learns some basic stuff about programming and now believe they are qualified to judge the quality of a language. Meanwhile, actual scientists use python for all kinds of things due to how fast it is to write the code. Then, when performance matter they whip out C++ or Fortran.

im doing maths/stats at uni and was planning to focus on learning c++ then becoming competent in python and R. how does julia fit into all of this?

If you're studying maths don't bother with C++ until later. Python/Matlab is the way to go.
Also what kind of university doesn't teach you programming during your first semester?

we did python in some general science type class, R is used in the stats courses and matlab shops are taught in the first 2/3 calc courses.
when i say learn i mean actually putting some time and effort into it.