Ultrabook choosing

Hi all!
I have huge problem to find ultrabook that fits my needs. So:
Weight: No more the 2kg
Battery life: more then 5h with small use.
USB type C with capable of charging laptop. (Thunderbolt 3 probably gives this possibility)
Screen: No less then 13" no more then 15.6". Best case scenario is 15.6" with ultra small edges so it is in size of 14" laptop.
Graphics: GeForce 940MX or similar or better.

I found that Dell XPS 15 9550 fits all of my needs. I almost bought it... But then i checked it's "problems" and found out that it is basically certain that something will break eventually in this ultrabook...

Other urls found in this thread:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468
puri.sm/
amazon.ca/gp/product/B01C858SU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/dp/B06XSSHZ63
store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/envy-13-344514--1#!&tab=vao
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are you ruling out Apple's MacBook? May not fit perfectly into your requirements, but it's a solid ultrabook.

Yeah, Macbook Pro with Windows probably would be best option for me, that fits all my needs... But it is ludicrous expensive in my country because of all of the taxes.. My car is only twice as expensive as new Macbook Pro on their website..
If I won't find anything I will be probably forced for some solution like this, but for now I want to dig around and see if I can find something cheaper.

Got my 9560 few days ago, 1TB HDD + 32GB SSD hybrid model, and it was making these popping noise in the HDD. Got the drive replaced yesterday and now the popping noise is gone but the mechanical moving parts now sounds like some cheap bargain-sale chink HDD that can be heard 5-10 meters away from it on a silent room.

Their """"""""""premium""""""""" XPS support line is full of dogshit as well that doesn't even know about the device itself.

And you're not the only one that have problems with them. The only reason why people didn't got crazy about these laptop is that most of ppl have 1day premium serwis option... But without it I guess that there wouldn't be 9560 after 9550

I'm kind of pondering on whether return the device and just wait™ for the iteration. But having heard that they did jack shit about the problems of the previous models and just updated the CPU and GPU makes me steer away from Dell's shitshow as the issues I'm experiencing keep on piling up.

Sure the product itself quite nice looking and also very solid but holy shit can't they afford to put more effort in the QC of their supposed to be premium line of devices? My 2 year old cheap Inspiron just fucking works™ as I expected it to be and the peice of trash that I spend a grand on just keep on shitting itself. I mean, how does that even work? How they fuck up so much? I wish XPS has more competitors with the same build quality and same price to performance ratio (discount) so I won't be having this much trouble.

Ukraine?

True, true... Windows Book or Surface or whatever it is called is probably good competitor / better option. But it cost as much as Apple macbooks, so there is no point on buying that knowing that it will probably lost a lot more of its value than Apple products..

Close. On Ukraine I could probably live for a year for price of this laptop :P.
I'm form Poland.
VAT and import taxes makes Apple products and pretty much all of import products cost more then im richer countries... USA earn much more then we do and still almost everthing is cheaper.

I had just went through choosing a 13" for myself and here were all of my choices, I spent about a month looking at all of their pros&cons, I'll try to present them all in this post:

First let's rule out the Unobtanium laptops for the European market; Razer Blade Stealth, LG Gram, Huawei Matebook 9, Samsung Notebook 9. THe LG Gram is a really solid choice but its around 3K in the EU.

Then let's get to the budget choices. The Lenovo 710s or the Zenbooks. Both are avalible for around 700-1000€ or more, depending on what configuration you want to go with. Ill compare the two by which category they win in:

The Lenovo wins in:

> Size and bezels on the laptop
>The SSD is a MUCH faster PCIe based one

The Zenbook wins in:

>Screen quality, better color spectrum coverage
>On the 14" verisons (If you can get them) the screen has minimal bezels and it's a 14" screen in the same body as 13" Zenbooks
>Battery life, especially the UX320UN (I think) which has about 10-12 hours

Otherwise it's pretty much the same, they are also available with dedicated GPU's if you wish to do more graphic intensive tasks. Strongly recommend these two if you are on a budget.

The more premium choices are the HP Spectre, XPS 13 and the MacBook Pro 13 w/o touchbar.

The HP wins in:

>Thinnest of the choices. Its a really great size and looks great.
>Price

The XPS Wins in:

> Them bezels boyy
> Battery life but not by much (1080p, i5 model)
> Quietest
> Lots of configurations
> The most I/O choice

The MacBook wins in:

> Screen, its really good along with the OSX scaling
> Speakers
> Build quality, the XPS is good but does not feel nearly as premium
> Trackpad
> Performance, it has a "special" i5 with Iris Graphics
> Network speed

cont.

>cont.

I'd also like to mention the Spectre has a thicc bezel which is ugly. Now the most important thing to know here is that this is only the base model mac, the rest are really fucking expensive. But it does win in the performance category, has the most screen real estate in a 13" size. The 128gb SSD is an annoyance so you will need an external SSD.

Another choice could be the Xiaomi Mi Air 13. The price to performance is amazing, the only drawback it has on the hardware side is a bit worse battery life. HOWEVER it is only available from China, so customs fees apply, and good luck with the warranty if anything goes wrong.

In the end I went with the MacBook. I wanted something else than Windows, which I used all my life, the price was also cheaper than the XPS which was a close contender, ordering a 512GB SSD which is 200€ equaled to the price of an i7 XPS.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask, I have put a lot of research into these ultrabooks and actually used them in a physical store before I bought one. All of the above are good choices, depending on your needs and preferences.

Also a VERY IMPORTANT thing I forgot to mention, wait for the 8th gen. Intel CPU laptops which should launch in the next 1-2 months, they will have 4 real cores with hyper threading.

Also if you are gonna go with dedicated graphics DO NOT get the 940MX, get the MX15, it's literally twice the performance.

Not OP, but did you look at the MS Surface Books? I'm getting in the market for a 2-in-1, and it's one of the ones I'm looking at. Admittedly with my previous 2-in-1, I only used the tablet function about 5% of the time, so I'm not married to it.

Nope, sorry. I am not really interested in 2 in 1s but I did hear good things about the HP Spectre x360, maybe look at that one?

>128gb SSD
Why do you need more than 128gb?

Thanks, that HP looks promising.

Asus UX410, Asus UX430

I have about 50GB of files on my OneDrive that I need for work, the OS takes 30 so that leaves me with 50GB for everything else. And I need extra space for temporary editing video files that take a lot of space.

Wrong. It's overpriced, constantly throttles, and overheats. Also you literally have to hack it to install windows to get basic pc functionality.

>video editing
are you faggot?

Pop in an SD card for additional storage.
Pop in a micro SD card in a USB reader no larger than the USB plug itself.

Depending on what version of Windows you have, you can select Some OneDrive files to be on-line, and download them only if needed (and then select them to be online-only again).

Yeah, I saw all of these. Zenbook looks like the best choice I think. Now I double checked it and I think that i miss UX550VD. This one fits all of my needs more then enough... Price is much, but still better to pay more than try to not set on a mine with XPS 15... Thanks again for highlighting !!

Yeah, this is why I did not get into Xiaomi.. I can buy it from Polish vendors with their own warranty.. But I want to buy something that works, not something that can be repaired for free.. I so, I would go with premium serwis from XPS and have new MO-BO every week..

I was thinking about Macbook a little bit too. But I'm too much used to Windows I think... Maybe I will buy in future old Macbook Air from around 15' as second choice to get used to it. But as daily driver I want something that I know.

Don't forget that the shitty touchbar is even shittier with windows. Only replicates function keys, esc, and delete.

Also it's a touchbar, so fuck that

>ultrabooks
give me a single case where a regular notebook is too big or too heavy compared to an ultrabook (also known as 'toy')

and no, not fitting in your man-purse isn't a point

Oke. Mac + Windows = bad idea. 'remembered'

>Also you literally have to hack it to install windows to get basic pc functionality.

But that's just plain bullshit you fucking retard.
Apple even has a step-by-step tutorial on how to install Windows on their systems.

>support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468
Yeah... That looks legit.. Thanks bro.

is it really gonna be that big of a difference? I'm on the edge of buying a 15" Yoga 720 for Photoshop and shit (since it's way cheaper than an XPS)

Huawei Matebook X. Better then Apple pro. I've been using it for about one month and its amazing. Compact, light, fast, good-looking!

From my personal experience I won't buy Lenovo anymore... Was a fan, Now a hater..
I had Y580... Great pice of hardware. Non problems (even now, my fiance have it now).
Now I have y50-70 pice of shit.... WiFi works like someone having a heart attack... It goes to max speed drops to almost non and again to max speed. Read that it is common problem. WiFi card not replaceable without bios changing to some Chinese hacker one...
Chase broke by itself next to screws. Though it was by my fault. But i checked some used on auction and all of them are broken in same place.
Internal GPU had hick ups. Now it works normally, but there was a time that it was unusable.. Every time Intel GPU got any more load it make whole computer freeze. Pain in the ass when you can not turn it off... Gaming (even on GeForce) because of that was impossible. Even browsing made it freeze. Formating Windows count less changing to all available GPU drivers (Intel and GeForce) made nothing... No. Something. Sometimes blue screens appeared. Now it fixed by itself... My cousin bought Y700, or something. Successor of mine. Give it back to store after a week. Basically 960m get freezes while playing in CS:GO...
Two of my friend have something similar, one of them have burned MO-BO just after warranty, second complain too, but don't remember on what..
So no more Lenovo for me.

No GPU unfortunately

>Also you literally have to hack it to install windows to get basic pc functionality.

what a fucking idiot!

> hack
> perfectly clear instructions from Apple, easy to use wizzard from Apple, perfectly supported

It's because of idiots like you that Apple sells so well...

Wrong.

It's not some workstation for rendering

X1 Carbon Gen 5 ain't too bad.

>put in high end i7
>claim it's for professionals
>put pro in the product name
>j-j-j-ust dont use it that way!!!!!!1111

Mactoddler subhumans should be rounded up and gassed for the betterment of mankind.

I'm looking for an ultrabook as well, figured I'd post here. OP, can you go into more detail of what is wrong with the XPS 15? Seemed like a solid device from what I've been seeing

Size: smaller, preferably no bigger than "14
Screen: At least 1920x1080
battery: longer is better, but with type C charging I can just get an external charger so
Budget: Less than $1000, but if you have a recommendation for something that costs more post it anyways, if it looks worthwhile I can just save up more money

Right now I've got my eyes on the XPS 13 or the razer stealth (I know, i know, but other than being gaymer shit it doesn't look all that bad)

It uses core m3 retard

Local Microcenter has a brand new 9560 w/ 4k screen and 512gb ssd for 1600 USD.
Almost pulled the trigger on it twice, but decided against it based on the bad rep that Dell's QC.
I just want a laptop with nice screen for movies and photo editing that can also play some games, but doesn't weigh 10 lbs or look like it was built for autistic 13-year-olds.

>I just want a laptop with nice screen for movies and photo editing that can also play some games, but doesn't weigh 10 lbs or look like it was built for autistic 13-year-olds.
The T470p would be exactly perfect for this, except it comes with a shit gpu. The cpu/gpu ratio in thinkpads is so bad.

>>Buying retail Lenovos, instead of commercial
>>Not expecting to get cheap stack high sell low crap
What the fuck were you expecting?

i like ports and function buttons

i have a little problem houston !
cleaned my xps 14 ( l421x ) like 10 times now and put new thermalpaste on it ( arctic mx2 )
there is no dust nothing, the fan is clean too
but once i boot up it starts from 50° temp
after 10 min it's at 65° with maybe 2 tasks open on firefox
this really pisses me off...can anyone explain this ?
thx !

>But then i checked it's "problems" and found out that it is basically certain that something will break eventually in this ultrabook...
You just described every product ever.

not Op but find me one real review on the xps on youtube.....
even these non paid fucks do a video showing the few fucking usb ports for 20 min and then talk about other bullshit we heard 2 million times...

No.

Because that doesn't prove anything to do with my post.
Also I don't understand your criteria for a "real review" in a way that would allow me to find a video that you wouldn't be able to call a paid review.

15" MacBook Pro

OP wanted a laptop, not a portable stove.

Jak się masz bracie :)

Apple computers retain their value like crazy, my 2009 macbook pro would go for like ~400 on craigslist.

but how much did it cost new?
My T430 would fetch ~150-200 on ebay, but I only paid ~650 for it brand new in 2013. it still holds 25-30% of its original value.
Hope you paid less than 1500 for your macbook pro brand new

Luckily, i got it for free though it probably went for 1k+. Still, compared to other laptops released in 2009, the value retention isnt bad.

idk mang, thermals seem fine to me...

machine is definitely good value, would recommend

>throttling pile of shit
>good value

Good joke.

Best portable machine you can buy for $4k versus this, Premiere Pro vs Final Cut. Enjoy your shit being blasted.

>mactoddler defending his throttling trash and amateur imovie shit that not even applel wants to use

lmao

puri.sm/

Still haven't answered my question.

Final Cut >>> anything else.

If you can link me a machine better I will happily film myself snapping the $4k MacBook over my leg and then proceed to buy whatever other machine you think of.

Keep in mind it must also have:

>Good battery (often used on planes to shoots)
>Thin and light (carried 24/7 in a backpack, often taken to show clients footage/make quick corrections with clients)
>Have quick and expansive I/O (in my office I work with a Thunderbolt Drobo and some 5K displays)

I'd like it to run macOS and have things like a pressure-sensitive trackpad, iMessage, etc as well, but something tells me that's an unrealistic expectation of non-Apple machines, so I guess I can move my workflow to Windows (keep in mind that time is money, so having to change my ingress and storage procedures certainly does cost me)

Thing is, I don't think you will be able to find a better system, because this is my job, and of all of the machines I've bought & returned, researched, etc, this is the absolute best I've found.

>final shit

how is the lack of ports on the macbook?
I cant imagine how i'd deal with all the dongles required to use something as simple as a flash drive or a TV
but I really like the newer macs, but hate the touchbar

Funny because Mr. "I am voting for Hillary Clinton" there uses FCPX on an emojibar macbook...

Doesn't respond with anything other than memes

Whoa, what happened to my emojis, does Sup Forums not support them?

Is only a problem with older accessories, the IO is amazing with new hardware (can charge on both sides of the machine, can plug displays into any port, can have a 1 port dock setup, 160Gbps potential IO with 40Gbps TB3 accessories, eGPUs, etc)

Definitely a forward-looking machine, everything in a few years will be USB-C.

>>Good battery
Macshit disqualified.

>only a problem with older accessories
like anything with a rectangle USB port? i'm not exactly mr moneybags with peripherals here.
do you personally use a dock?

I have an XPS 15 and it has been working fine for me for like half a year. Guess I got lucky.

I bought these Aukey dongles on Amazon for old USB-A. amazon.ca/gp/product/B01C858SU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this card reader (cant remember where from) and I prefer it to an integrated reader because it works with more than just full size SD (I use microSD in my drone) amazon.com/dp/B06XSSHZ63

I use 2 LG 5K displays and a Drobo for storage. A lot of my work is done on the go so that's a good enough setup for me.

Yoga 2 Pro uses 15W ULV CPUs, it is expected to beat a computer with a 45W processor.

Dell XPS gets roughly the same battery with roughly the same battery life.

Razer Blade, depends on the display really, they are available with both high resolution and 1080p models, if it's the 1080p display I am not surprised that it gets similar results with a smaller battery, it's similar in spec after all, both will be using the integrated GPUs on battery.

Notice the only machines with noticeably more minutes per watt hour use ULV processors.

Also none of these machines are quicker in Premiere Pro than the MacBook is in FCPX.

Your meme image also makes no mention of display brightness normalisation, and is also regarding a 2014 model machine when it is 2017 right now.

13" is irrelevant to this conversation but I wonder what browser they are using as it is widely known that Chrome on macOS is a heap of shit.

My 2017 usually gets about 5 hours with the dedicated GPU in use (FCPX), 9hrs otherwise. I certainly consider that "good".

>Final Cut >>> anything else.
That must be why everyone uses it, right?

NOPE.

>everything in a few years will be USB-C.
And the 2016 Macbook Pro will be an outdated pile of trash in a few years.

So by the time USB-C will be ubiquitous people will have already upgraded from the initial USB-C only machines, which makes this choice a burden NOW.

>m-m-m-uh speed
Final Cut is a blight on the video editing industry, even Apple agrees.

If all you care about is speed, get a generic laptop with Power Director, which shits all over Final Trash.

>throttlebooks BTFO in 1:1 premiere benchmark
>final cut BTFO by power director in platform exclusive benchmarks

MACTODDLERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

How will mactoddlers ever recover?

oh
An actual dock like they had for the mbp back in 2013 would have been nice

Mactoddlers will defend this.

this board is all about to shittalk but not a single advice for this

I can explain it.

User error.

I don't really care what everyone uses, everything I've said is true, it performs very well not just in render speed but also in timeline performance (don't need proxy media - vastly improves ingress speeds) and has improved in every way since release.

Popular != good (although FCPX is quite popular among YouTubers).

In what way will it be outdated? Too slow? It won't be as quick as the latest MacBook, yes, but it'll still do everything is does right now. People are still using (and even still recommending) Sandy Bridge ThinkPads on this site.

You can get a $10 pack of 2 dongles and be good to go. Benefits outweigh the downsides (fantastic bandwidth with TB3, standard charging connector on a Mac finally)

Never once said speed is all I care about, in fact I explained a bunch of other things that went into my decision making (battery life, IO, size and weight - Apple support is also great). Nobody has linked me a full solution (if you think powerdirector is anywhere near FCPX/Premiere in terms of functionality - or plugin support - you really don't know much about video).

Exporting is only one part of the story, remember that Premiere doesn't do any background editing (not sure about Power Director but I don't see any documentation on it) so timeline performance is terrible unless you make proxies, which takes time at ingress and uses storage space. I don't want my workflow to span loads of different apps with zero integration, FCPX has Motion and Premiere has AE, AE is certainly more powerful but I don't work with motion graphics in much depth so I use motion for the convenience (it's good enough for my purposes), if I used AE a lot I'd use Premiere for this integration. Power Director has none of this, there are certain intangibles that you can't put on a spec sheet, it's not just "what is quicker", I use this for work and these differences are important.

I have my 9560 and have literally 0 issues with it. Only thing I have a complaint about is the killer wifi card that's in it. Lost connectivity once in one of my classes, but I didn't need it at that point. Windows also shit the bed when that happened, so I think that it was more a software issue than hardware. Installed Ubuntu on it and it's been working like a dream.

>In what way will it be outdated? Too slow?
Too slow (performance hasn't improved since the 2012 model), not enough memory, not enough storage.

>You can get a $10 pack of 2 dongles and be good to go.
You can buy the worst possible dongles in the world and get the worst possible performance out of them. Yes. That's what I want when using a machine I spent $3000 on.

AND, you won't get TB3 with that pack of dongles.

Don't get me wrong. TB3 is great. USB-C is great. Loading out a laptop with only those ports now is retarded.
Yes, they will be phased out in the future. It will take years for everyone to get rid of their current USB-A reliant devices. Not overnight.

Let's take an example.
I have a D7100 that I bought for about $1300 years ago. Still a good camera.
It uses USB2.0. It has a proprietary connector on the body so I need a special cable for it. That cable only comes in USB-A.

Now, my options with a new Macbook Pro are either:
Buy a new camera (another $1000 or so investment) to get one that has a USB-C connector available for it and is worth upgrading from my current camera or,
Buying dongles.

Here's the thing. I have two devices I want to plug into my laptop. My camera and my phone. I have four ports that they can't plug into. And the crazy thing is that you can easily, using TB3 you could expand one of those USB-C TB3 ports into four USB3.1 speed USB-C ports but instead you have to use dongles now to use devices you already have, and then get to throw those dongles in the bin in the future.

google dell xps 15 problems... there is tons of post like this. I did want to buy it to.. But I chose not to.

Dobrze ;). Skłaniam się chyba ku Asusowi UX550VD. Tylko poszukam jeszcze opinii o jego awaryjnosci

Senpai, should I get a Zenbook Pro UX550 or a Yoga 720 15"? Both have the exact same specs and very similar display quality at FHD so I'm not sure which to go for.

>buying ultrabooks
>shit on macs
>all alternatives are similarly priced and featured
>they're fine to buy but

lmao yeah $2000 on a dell is great!

What if you had a grant that was going to pay for the whole thing?

I'm thinking about getting a laptop since I can get one for free although I'm content with this T420 I'm using.

I'd probably be getting a newer Thinkpad. An okay Thinkpad is still a good laptop.

Thinkpad 13 2nd gen, I recently bought one (kaby lake i7 model with 8 gigs of ram and 250 gb ssd) and I am more than happy with it, bonus is that it has upgradable RAM and SSD

what about the razer blade? an openbox early 2016 model retails at about ~1500$ on ebay and amazon.

>Core i7-6700hq 2.6GHz
>16GB ram
>6gb GTX 1060
>full aluminum body
>low weight and good battery life

only problems i see are the bezels being a bit large and the fans being very loud when being heavily used

Slimbook.

I'd love one if I wanted to run Windows on it, but I usually run Linux on my laptop when I'm out and about.

The only thing preventing me from getting a Thinkpad 13 is that the case is made from a PC/ABS blend instead of Magnesium alloy or a glass fibre reinforced plastic (or carbon fibre)

its not like you cant install linux on it. mine runs
minimal ubuntu. never had problems with it.

I think it does fit your needs, check it out.

store.hp.com/us/en/mdp/laptops/envy-13-344514--1#!&tab=vao

I must say that it feels really sturdy desu, I compared it with some guy's x1 carbon and build quality is better on x1, but still really solid on tp13, if you are on budget, pick the i5 one, it will do just fine, I feel like it's maybe too powerful for my needs and I could've saved some money if I bought i5 version.