/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/6pQNM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/JYfthq
pcpartpicker.com/list/cMNZM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/jtyRd6
raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

FUCKING MINERS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>having more than 2gb of VRAM

Kill yourselves manchildren

>insults manchildren
>manchildren run the white house
We run this shit.

how's my build for destiny 2? pcpartpicker.com/list/6pQNM8

>7700k housefire
>600 dollars of storage
>nearly 2k build with only a 1060

pcpartpicker.com/list/JYfthq is this better?

not sure about how well seasonic psus are made but looks fine for a super high end gayming build

cant find vega 1070 or 1080 at reasonable prices so getting a 1080ti why wont miners just let me get my vega 56 havnt they learned they are losing money on power draw

Why no mention of a 7700K in the OP?

>Jewtel
>Overpriced CPU cooler
>$600 in storage.
>500w would be enough for that shitty.build.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/6pQNM8
>almost $90 for a bunch of plastic spinning at high speeds
I'm glad I went with ryzen I could buy additional drive for that fan price.

Rate my build. pcpartpicker.com/list/cMNZM8

>DDR4-2800
Ew

No ssd? Trust me you want that. If you really want to save some money just buy even the smallest ssd just for os.

what is the best case under 50$ ?

>He thinks everyone in this thread has his PC just for shitposting and programming

With a ~$70 difference between the 1050 TI and the 1060 3GB, is jumping up to the 1060 for ~50% more fps the best move value wise right now?

When can we hope this overjewed graphic cards bullshit will end?

1060 3gb is like $30 cheaper than 1060 6gb in my country so I think it's worthless card.

The 3GB is trash. It will tank is a lot of modern games. You want 4 GB minimum for modern gaming.
So the 6GB 1060 would be the one to get

Why were you thinking about the 1050 Ti in the first place if you don't care about spending another $70?

but can it run crysis ?

Just bought EVGA 1060 6gb for $275. Please tell me I made the right decision.

>The 3GB is trash. It will tank is a lot of modern games.
Modern AAA games and/or unoptimized trash might "need" more than 3gb. Most of that is shit, fortunately.

I think that's pretty close to non-jewed price.

You're a confirmed retard and might want to consider suicide. 1060 is shit for mining.

>TFW you have such a retarded idea for a tech innovation it sounds like it could plausibly work
>TFW you're scared to tell people because they'll steal your idea and make millions off of your brain's labor

What 1440p/>100hz monitors would /pcbg/ recommend?

pcpartpicker.com/list/jtyRd6
Imaginary build that will never happen because I'm poor, how would you rate it?

>buying a 1TB SSD as your only drive
this pains me.
that PSU is actually a little overboard, and you could get some 3200 ram or faster (not sure how well the fastest frequencies work with intel).
but that's a very expensive build.

Pretty nice. If you can get 3200MHz ram for a few bucks more do it. And I would absolutely get an SSD.

breddy gud. Only concern is the ram getting to 3200 and cpu cooler for overclocking. The stock is good for mild overclock (~3.6) but beyond that it runs out of steam.

>blower 1080
>pretty shit case

XG2703

AG241QX if you don't mind TN

Currently building my PC. Everything is inside. However, when I turn on the power, only my motherboard lights up. When I try power it on at the power button, nothing happens.

I am not plugging in something clearly - any ideas?

Is the power button plugged to the motherboard?

The front panel headers are probably off, those are a bitch to work with.

Yep, that's all plugged in - including the 8 pin. I disconnected everything and left only them in with the hard drives all wired up - no CPU, no VGA (and the CPU socket supplied with my PSU is very odd in that it doesn't fit into the PSU) and only the motherboard lit up once more. I'm confused as to *what* should be plugged in.

As in what is supplied with the case? I keep fiddling around with them to no avail - maybe I just need to fiddle further...

No, the literal power button you're pushing to start it, as said. Look at your motherboard manual. Some guy yesterday had literally the same problem and he wired the power button backwards.

I came in at the tail end of the Dogecoins hype and made around $80 after paying off my video card. Only mined maybe a month, and this was the very end of anyone giving a shit.

yes just not at max settings

Tell everyone that, because I had the exact same problem. Thank you for putting up with my stupidity.

Does anyone else use contact cleaner on their CPU contacts to reduce voltage drop?

Twice in a row, that's funny. I hope the guy from yesterday sees this, it will make him feel better about his mistake.

However, though it turns things on, it doesn't turn anything else but the fan and the motherboard on. I imagine this is a problem with the CPU and the VGA - but neither fit into the PSU well, nor have any place on the motherboard. What's the problem here?

Correction: the graphics card fan, and presumably the graphics card, is also working. Just nothing seems to show.

I don't see the point, I got my FX brand new and the voltage dips just because my board is shit and has no load line nonsense to help it.

Just bought gtx 1080 from palit gamerock premium version, is this any good?

Does it actually help?

New to this General

Why in the OP does it not recommend i7 or i5 unless discounted? I'm sure there's a good reason but I'd like to know what it is. I use an i5 in my HTPC and it runs pretty well.

It's from the perspective of building a new PC. Taking into account it's on a new socket and they plan to support it for a while, Ryzen generally makes more sense. Price to performance, harder to find a better deal for a new system build.

FWIW, I'm still on a i5-2500 and it serves me fine.

Yeah, shitty motherboard is going to matter more than the CPU contacts.
Yeah, barely. If you have a good motherboard, it's one more thing you can do to make things run better, it'll barely drop the resistance, which means lower voltage and less heat.

Not as much as just spending the extra 30$ on a better cpu and mobo in the first place.

Too late if you already own a motherboard and CPU, and there's an eBay seller selling it for only $15 shipped right now.

I bought a 7700k and ddr4 4233. It was worth it. Feel bad for people doing high refresh on ryzen.

My cpu fan just came in today. The box was opened but everything is still inside, should i be worried? Not all my pc parts are in, so i can't test out everything.

I wouldn't worry if everything's in good shape, my Hyper TX3 cooler had a few bent fins while being perfectly sealed, had to bend that shit back the way it was before I put it on.

Yeah, i bought the H7 cryhorig and it says to "return if registration card is missing" but it's still here so.. yeah.

>Debate buying Thermaltake care with fancy RGB fans
>RGB fans are connected to a separate controller that needs to be taped to the inside of the case

Why.

R9 Fury for ~$280, GTX 980 for ~250 or 980Ti for ~330?
Gayming at 1080p and will be pairing it with a R5 1600. 750 W XFX PSU.

Because Jayztwocents.

980 or 980Ti, 4GB is to much of an issue for the fury.

But the 980 has 4 GB as well.

and costs less, and performs worse

Anyone used these guys before? raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html

>pc dies but it was old and cheap
>carefully build a new one that'll be perfect for me
>finally gather the funds and order it all
>last part comes in today
>won't turn on at all
>spend three hours trying everything google and I can think of
>finally bring it to local pajeet since I can't test the psu or motherboard myself
[spoiler]psu was faulty[spoiler]
I'm so fucking mad

you had your old PCs psu, you know...

threw it
also was too weak

how much power do you think does a modern PC need idling?

probably about 550W?

far below 100

Lmao my housefire of a pc uses 298w worst case scenario.

my new one was that my old was 500. Luckily Bestbuy 30 miles over has some psus I'm gonna check out
its only a bronze but I'm tired of waiting

my old psu was 350W and it wasnt enough

it was more than enough to start it up and check if it everything else is OK. It probably wouldn't even have crapped out (as in shut down because it can't deliver enough power without voltage dropping/ripple going to shit) if you put load on CPU and GPU, but that's just guessing

I'm new. Why is that solo 1TB SSD bad?

SSDs are more unreliable than HDDs meme. Hasn't been true for years.

Does linux run well on mac hardware?

HDD and monitor are on the way, CPU is OC'd to 3.8 at 1.35 v

this was taking while playing vidya btw

Does Linux run well on an incredibly widespread hardware platform? I really ro wonder

Anyone got a Vega 56 from Amazon shipped yeT?

>70 degrees
Must sound like a jet engine in your room

Not really it's super quiet. Plus I play with headphones on so it doesn't even matter.

I just want a 580 or Vega 56 at MSRP. Hell even 1060s and 1070s.

This whole mining situation has made comp building total shit this entire time and going into fall now.

I'm even tempted to buy a goddamn 1050ti just to HAVE a card to use in a build because I had everything sitting in a corner already besides a GPU.

>70 degrees
>Blower fan
>Super quiet
Yeah. My i5 is also better than R5 1600.

Damn, blower vega is hot.

It's actually quiet.70°C isn't even hot under load lmao.

Is my i5 6600k better than ryzen 1600?

>70°C isn't even hot under load lmao.
>This is what AMDdrones think

>4 core babby lake i5
>better than ryzen
lmao
What's your 1070 run under load?

Everything is better than the other company brand as long as you take the redpill

Im getting the i5 for free anyways

>6 degrees hotter than vega 64 under load
what is this trying to prove?

>70 degrees isn't hot
>Blower fans aren't loud
Vega idiots are really something else aren't they?

>thinks he can critique a product he doesn't own
>1070 and 1080/ti both run hotter than vega 64
Lmao