no edition

>Buyer's template:
pastebin.com/33S1gVkG
>Where to Buy:
pastebin.com/8Yku80VL
>FAQs:
pastebin.com/M5w7QtKp
>Keyset wiki
keypuller.com (web.archive.org/web/20161101152119/http://keypuller.com/)

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/try-non-autistic-search-terms-faggit/32815685108.html
youtu.be/9UhLZ9AWHJM?t=388
item.jd.com/4781628.html
petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/release-fbi-documents-withheld-due-lack-public-interest
shopkey.doyustudio.com/keyboard/varmilo/custom
m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32719978752.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.7f25570fN6LcFh#autostay
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Filco

Redpill me on short travel switches. I can get either Cherry G84-4100 mini or Logitech G410 tkl tomorrow. Apparently both Cherry ML or Romer-G are tactile and have 3mm travel. I'm aware that neither have custom keycaps, but I need a workhorse not a "looker".

unless there's a particular reason you want short travel switches, why miss out on more tactility and the ability to use custom keycaps?

oooh

why is the hhkb pro2 the best my dudes?

>topre
>no F row or arrow keys
nice meme

Even this phone keyboard has F keys and arrow keys

I'm looking for a compact keyboard and thus far I've learned this:
>Cherry MX and clones are meme and shit. Worst mechanical switches but got the clown parade going for them. Also, either 60% or gaming garbage.
>Alps/Matias are meme and shit. "Nicer" but suffer from chatter and key rattling, have no decent compact keyboards.
>Topre are meme and shit. Overpriced rubber dome. Home of overpriced 60% meme that started it all.
So, with this negativity around, I might as well go esoteric.

Why not get a keyboard with cherry ML clones?

How much impact do o-rings have on the sound of switches? It'd do virtually nothing for clicky ones like blues, right? Since it's just muffling the bottoming out

The sound of bottoming out is louder then the actuating mechanism, so o-rings do effect blues

>this is what Koreans think ergo is

Kailh low profile are better than Cherry ML and come in linear, tactile and clicky flavours instead of ML's scratchy tactile only.

Hmm, mostly because the idea as a whole struck me late last night, and I wasn't aware of them. But availability might be the issue.

Aside from existence of the switches themselves, are there any keyboards that use them? Searching aliexpress with "Kailh pg1350" and "Kailh pg1458" gives nothing.

aliexpress.com/item/try-non-autistic-search-terms-faggit/32815685108.html

That's the only one I found for "low profile this and that", but that jewtube review sells it well and it's much better priced than that Cherry I wanted. But what are Kailh Blue, clicky-tactile? Switch connoisseurs on jewtube only speak about brown, red and white.

If you're talking about the low profiles, they only come in red brown and white. Red is linear, brown is tactile and white is clicky.

Some clone switches, such as gaterons, are actually smoother than cherry.

youtu.be/9UhLZ9AWHJM?t=388
They're clicky/tactile. Kailh is supplying the white low profile switch in blue to OEMs because hipsters equate blue with clicky and not white.

item.jd.com/4781628.html

convince me not to buy the 68-key version of this

i spilled liquor on my ds2 and killed it
what do i buy now?
it was plugged in an d then the lights went off and stopped working, any chance of saving?

>Connect LED
Hold the fuck up. Is that BT?

yes

BT low profile mechanical 65%

Get a filco mj2. It's amazing.

function key rows are overrated.

Welp. Time to visit the agent.

any thoughts on the RACE 3?

thats what my backup kb im using right now is
i prefer backlit because im a shitter when it comes to typing so i like the light

Oh, so this is what those Havits originally are!

If you don't want to change the keycaps its an 8/10 keyboard. If you care about custom keycaps then its a 4/10

Having a bit of a brain fart here but what do I need to make a keyboard wireless

Disassemble and assess damage!

what does that entail exactly?

Filco majestouch 2 or Ducky One TKL?

Filco.

Actually I'm getting the ducky, the only difference seems to be is that Filco has their logo on it.

Nvm they dont even have the logo, they're the same thing

scissors

>Budget
Would like spend ~$100, but can go up to $150 if i'm in love

>Location (continent at least)
United States, Texas

>Preferred switch type
Cherry MX Browns or a reliable variant

>Layout
ANSI

>Form factor
Either 75% or TKL
(I couldn't find any 75% in stock when searching)

>Backlight
White LED's would be nice but not required if it brings price up too much

>Previous/current keyboards
Had a Corsair K95 RGB (MX Reds) that just broke after spilling beer on it. Couldn't fix it in the end.

Another question: I've noticed most keyboards have completely plastic bodies. Is there a market for full or partially metal?

>MX browns
Why?

Maybe you should drink beer on the couch instead of infront of the PC. I started doing that myself.

I want light, tactile, and little to no sound.

Do you know of an alternative?

Best 75% keyboard?

Mx Clear, also browns aren't even tactile you won't feel the bump when typing

See, that's what I originally wanted but I keep hearing about "fatigue" or that people end up switching back to a lighter switch. Is it not actually a problem?

I didn't know Ducky made Topre boards. Does anyone know how they are? I already have a 87u 55g.

It is a problem for some people, but if you don't have extremely weak fingers it shouldn't be a problem. Tactile switches are supposed to be heavy.

Well in that case I don't see it being a problem for me. Any suggestions on boards then with clears?

Get Filco or Ducky

Are they even in stock? Topre recently stopped production of all third party topre keyboards.

Source? I haven't seen anything about Leopold's capacitives going away.

I want to get a board with blues, how mad will my housemates be?

So it looks like Filco doesn't even carry clear switches? At least I can't find any...

Soundproof your room please before they find a way to kick you out.

varmilo 87mr

Whites are supposed to be like blues but quieter, right? Is there much difference between them and a silent tactile switch like a clear?

Try Leopold or Ducky I know Ducky and Leopold have keyboards with them

petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/release-fbi-documents-withheld-due-lack-public-interest

So I jumped in on the XDA Godspeed groupbuy. I am going to either rebuild my ergodox or buy one.

Two Questions though.

1.) Has anyone figured out/made instructions for RGB underlighting of an ergodox?

I had some nornal LED strips on mine for awhile, but rhey were extremely bright and would stay on even if the pc was off so I removed them.

2.) Can I order an ergodox ez with greens?

It has the underlighting but doesn't seem to have an mx green varient. Desoldering and then resoldering 76 switches would be a pain in the ass, so I doubt I will buy one if not.

>varmilo 87mr

Where can I even purchase this keyboard? All I see are inactive MassDrop pages (which I have only heard bad tings about)

Can't find Leopold anywhere for sale with clears, even though it looks like they exist.

It's looking like I'll probably end up going with the Ducky One. Any reason not to get this one?

shopkey.doyustudio.com/keyboard/varmilo/custom

got mine from here, turned up in 2 weeks as ordered.

Look at the schematics of the Ergodox EZ Shine.
They are available on Github

Which mods did you go for?

Thanks for the link user. The cost to have clear switches on this board is an extra $23, so I think I am just going to end up going with the Ducky One.

I'd go with browns desu, i have clears on my numpad, and i couldn't imagine typing on them all day.

Clears only feel heavy when you bottom them out regularly.
Once you're used to feathering them (it's fairly easy due to light actuation and stiff bottom out) you won't fatigue your fingers while also reducing noise.

Oh boy. Now I'm getting conflicting responses. I hear that browns feel "sandy" or "dirty" from the very light tactile feedback, that is one of the reasons to get clears: a good amount of tactile feedback. Is that your experience?

It's pretty good but do some research before you buy it to make sure you'll like it.

Imagine browns as having sand stuck in the switch and clears having a pebble shoved inside. If you still can't make sense of it, buy a switch tester.

they're very tactile, there is a definite bump at the actuation point, but the force required is a bit hard on the fingers.

it's all personal preference.

Regardless, I have the Varmilo MR87VA and think it's a great keyboard.

Clears also have a significantly stiffer spring.

Anybody tested those new kailh bronze / white?

Most people who use brown switches end up getting rid of them and start using a proper linear or tactile switch like red or blue. Brown switches feel like someone spilled sand on your keyboard.

Apollo Text Ergo and Apollo Text Tsangan.

Oh and the Planetary thing too.

Thanks mans, I had no idea it was there. Hopefully it uses a normal PCB.

Pretty much this But Clears are extremely sandy and rough, but a lot of it will smooth out over time.
I've had my Ergodox with MX Clears for around a week now and the alpha keys are already noticeably smoother.
Anyone who says that Browns feel sandy or gritty has never tried Clears. They are still miles ahead of that Brown trash though.

All MX switches are like that

>short travel switches

Go to a physical store that has these keyboards on display and try them out.

I can tell you that I personally find it way too easy to mistype on those switches. It think it has as much to do with the low key-press resistance as it has to do with the short travel distance. I just can't use those keyboards. Perhaps I could use boards like that just for gaming if I got used to them?

The real question is what you will like and find comfortable and nobody on the Internet can tell you. This is why I recommend that you go to an actual physical store (or someone you know who has these) and try them out. There really is no other way to determine what you will enjoy.

silly man-let keyboard

I've used Browns, Reds, Blues, Greens and Clears.
Clears are by far the grittiest of the bunch.

>The sound of bottoming out is louder
This.

The impact on the sound of the switches themselves is zero, blue clicky switches will click like they always do. It's that "clunk" sound of bottoming out the keys the few times you do that which goes away.

O-rings are specially useful on brown switches because the switches themselves are very quiet but the "clunk" sound of bottoming out the keys can be very loud on some boards.

Some really don't like o-rings. For me it's almost a requirement for using a keyboard. You'll have to figure out what you prefer.

Vomitrocious

Which cherry feels most similar to a topre switch?

Cherry MY switches

Apples and oranges.

Why does your keyboard look like a christmas tree

So Razer Green or Orange?

>Budget
High

>Location (continent at least)
Canada

>Preferred switch type
Clear

>Layout
>Form factor
75 or TKL

>Backlight
Appreciated, not required

>Previous/current keyboards
K70. Corsair Junk

Love the "sandwich" looking case with floating keys on a board like this m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32719978752.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.7f25570fN6LcFh#autostay

But I use arrows and Fkeys all day every day.

buying o rings is such a meme
just go to an orthodontist and ask for some rubberbands for braces

Or just order them for $1 instead of going all the way to the orthodontist to ask for them and not get them because you don't actually have braces.

Anyone have a CM Masterkeys Pro M? I'm wondering how you use the multimedia keys. Do you have to press and hold the Fn key and the volume/playback/etc. every time or do you just disable numlock or something and get to press them individually?

I desperately want a good staggered 45% keyboard. The jd45 Blocked is my endgame but I'm having a hard time tracking one down.

Do I have any other options? I have access to CNC routing if I wanted to make a case, is there a similar PCB out there I could utilize? I don't mind the Minivan or Mechmini but I hate split space bars. Anyone know if they'll ever do another run of the jd45?

I've been searching up and down the internet and can't find an answer, so gonna ask you nibbas

>found a keyboard at college 9 years ago
>had very mysterious mechanical switches
>tactile and clicky from what I can remember, switches were white
>distinctively remember the clickiness happened as key traveled UP rather than when being pressed DOWN like cherry blues

Can't remember the switch and I sold it to a friend that same year I got it. Regret it because I actually liked the switches.

I think it's white alps but it may have been topre, I have no clue what the switch looked like when the keycap was off just that it was white

I've got some Gateron blues from aliexpress and they click on the down and up stroke too. But I have a keyboard also with Gateron blues which only click on the downstroke. They booth look the same from the outside.
What's happening here?

I'm thinking about buying some vintage mx clear switches from taobao. How would they feel compared to new ones? Does the bump wears out over time?

>one column too skinny to fit the ]} and '" keys
This bothers me immensely.

What you're describing is more a property of rubber domes than anything mechanical.

Click jacket switches don't really click on the upstroke so much as they rattle.

prob topre then, damn can't believe I gave that thing away...

Wouldn't be Topre. The sliders on those are black.

Where else would you put your enter key?

I'm looking at some minivan builds too, sucks everything below 60% is a niche market and part of a long gone groupbuy. Someone on mechmarket offered to sell me his JD45 for fucking 400 dollars