Cassette Decks are Technology:

Should I get the Sony TC-K611S or Sony TC-K717ES?

Other urls found in this thread:

tapeline.info
youtube.com/watch?v=OSHP_pxEXic
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If I record a hi-res lossless file into a metal tape while using Dolby NR S+HX Pro, will the cassette sound as good as a CD?

It doesn't matter. You'll be too busy stroking your genitals and turning those dials while they silently "click" into each notch of tactile perfection.

no

Portable myaster race.

Sony TC-K717ES

Nice. might need a re-cap though. the e-caps in those are notorious for leaking

Hey OP, can you explain to me your thought process behind investing a lot of money into a receiver for old lofi technology?

I get the nostalgic aspect, but if its nostalgic you want, why don't you just play lofi mp3s on a hifi system instead of getting a shitty lofi system?

Not OP but I've recently started using minidisc again just because the modern day technology is kind of boring and I know minidisc is inferior in every way to my smartphone but I kinda like the idea of swapping minidiscs and that kind of stuff, it might come down to pure stupidity but I enjoy it

Buy a spotify membership

At least modern music is still released via cassette. Minidisci just retro wankery.

In that case you could get a bunch of mini-SD cards and purposely get small ones so they can only hold 500 songs or so. ah who am I kidding, thats not the same.

Not gonna lie, I liked having a CD case and being able to flip through the CDs and see the album art and shit. And all the CD jewel cases would be sorted in a bookshelf and all that jazz... but DESU its a big fuckin pain in the ass to maintain and its not practical for a large library. CDs scratch, skip and break; casettes unwind and degrade, etc.

If its all just for pretend then thats okay I guess

Minidisc was never meant to get releases it was marketed as a portable and convenient way to have your CDs in a more portable format that's the reason the first minidiscs were 74 minute, so you could fit a whole CD in one minidisc
I'm actually gonna star labelling my minidiscs, I mostly listen to doujin music so I think it would be double cool to have them properly labelled

>Minidisc was never meant to get releases it was marketed as a portable and convenient way to have your CDs in a more portable format that's the reason the first minidiscs were 74 minute, so you could fit a whole CD in one minidisc

I know, but this still makes it pointless, as you can already transfer your digital files to a DAP instead of an MD player.

It's like a less convenient piracy machine.

>he thinks America is a country

Heh

This but inironically.
Listening to music outside quality is low anyway because either you wear isolating headphones and are oblivious to your surrounding, you wear leaking headphones and can't notice subtle quality over invading noise or wear leaking headphones and damage your hearing with high volume. Middle option for me.
Quality not being a concern past a basic point, hardware ergonomy is a plus.

Either should do. But try before you buy: tape decks often have plastic cogs and rubber belts in their mechanism that don't age well and can be a pain in the ass to replace.

Not as good but close enough for practical purposes.
Even a chrome tape with dolby C+HXPro is very decent actually.

md's are comfy af

ok, now rewrite that post in english please

were* stop posting

I've always wondered what is the frequency range of vinyl.
Some retards at headfi are saying is infinite, some are saying the limit is around 80khz.

It's lower than CD, don't listen to the autism at head-fi.

no, it will sound worse due to the limitations of tape. in this case, "worse" means "less like the original master."

people release modern music on tape because one can get them for dirt cheap. cheaper than vinyl and CD. if the artist is planning on including a lossless digital download code with each physical copy anyway, what's the point in spending the cash on a physical format that's more expensive when only turbonerds will be able to play the physical copy anyway? might as well take the cheapest route you can while maintaining that physical connection with your fans.

>[ ]Sony ES
>[X]Not Sony ES
Into the trash it goes

no one should ever pay attention to head-fi. those people are insane.

So which one? Nakamichi Dragon?

That's one beautiful machine.

Same senpai

Hey, where are you going to get your cassette deck from anyways?
I've been looking into it as well, recently bought a Walkman.
Also, where to buy metal tapes?

It is alright, but only alright.

>Where are you going to get your cassette deck from anyways?
Ebay, just check the reputation of the seller first.
>Also, where to buy metal tapes?
Ebay, there are also sites like tapeline.info

Cassettes are the new vinyl

I would buy new type 2 blanks then NOS type 4 tapes

Agreed.

>Sony TC-K909ES
>FR: 15-22.000Hz (metal)
Pretty nice.

Did people really use these 10 years ago?

I still do.

Nakamichi Dragon in default configuration is the best deck on the planet, so yes.

You can almost enjoy the clickless DsotM MoFi release with it.

This, you can get a pretty good nr-c tape deck for like $60 and band new high quality chrome tapes for $1.40ea from national audio company

Got this onkyo for free off Craigslist last weekend. Everything works fine and the backlight is still bright, only problem was it was a yuro plug which was fine so nice I have adaptors.

i dig you, a few months ago when i went to visit my mother i got robbed, so i lost my phone and ipod, and between my old things i found my old sony discman, and my old cd colection, and like you said it was kind of fun carrying that thing around and swapping between discs, i also found an old nokia, that worked just like the day i left it, and fuck... i miss fucking non touch technology...

pic related, ugly af but gooood shiit

Very nice user, did you clean the heads with isopropyl alcohol?

youtube.com/watch?v=OSHP_pxEXic

i own this one and refurbished it after almost 25 years. works like new now, really great sound!

You should kill yourself

>mfw i'm using my sony mz-r70 for almost 17 years now and got a sony mds-j510 for cheap a few months ago
i'm still amazed how great they sound compared to most mp3 and other formats.

Why so mad user?

You let /hpg/ in

It's related.

No

notice me....

>portable

717ES
Yes, Dolby S reached pretty close to
a Redbook CD dynamic range, and metal tape on a high end deck with HX Pro reached past CD's frequency range
Wow&flutter would be imperceptible on such high end deck
That's literally what he said he was doing
There's plenty of cartridges that were rated into the 50 kHz range, and the quadrophonic vinyls used the 20-40 kHz range to store the other two channels and it worked (at least when the disc hadn't been played more than a dozen times)
Even then, there's basically nothing worth past 20 kHz, the surface noise would bury anything there anyways, and really few releases were made with such high quality vinyl
For playback and retro wankery yes, otherwise get the other top tier Nak (ie. if for some reason you want to record tapes to play on other well adjusted decks)
But Sony it's still really nice and quite aesthetic

I have an old sharp stereo 8 record deck and a ROLECOR solid state fm stereo receiver.

How much do you think theyre worth?????

Heres the ROLECOR receiver

Not sure bro, haven't swallowed the 8track pill so not sure what people are willing to pay as I haven't looked

*teleports behind you*

This and the other nice Sony players (DC, DD series) are nice but I didn't want to spend that much. I think for the money, higher end Aiwa players are the best.

ES obviously

Some decks have 4 heads,for is the 4th head for exactly?

*for what

extra erase head on auto reversing decks

Always go ES.

Are there ES CD players?