/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/261975720863.
amazon.co.uk/Transcend-256-SATA-Type-2240/dp/B00KLTPUG4
download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_hmm_en_sp40a25467_01.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=48Dp5QkNc08
ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/blog/2015/09/09/ansi-or-iso-which-keyboard-layout-is-more-ergonomic
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-X220-12-5-Touch-Tablet-Laptop-Core-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-6GB-160GB-SSD/272822935054?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Are there any fake 9-cells roaming around? If so, how would I differentiate the original?

is it chink?
then it's fake

so if it says lenovo it's fine? doesn't say that it's repackaged or something

Are they good enough for the tablets which have no official 9-cell?

Pretty sure they wont fit.

What about this for example? ebay.com/itm/261975720863. How does it even bypass the battery whitelist?

Got a t440p and looking for a 2242 m.2 SSD

Why the fuck is the 2242 M.2 form factor so sparse? It's similar size to mSATA but with a different connection. mSATA SSD's are abundant but 2242 M.2 isn't, but why? Not enough demand for it? I thought there was quite a few laptops with 2242 M.2 slots. I've only been able to find KingSpec ones which every review says they die within 4 months, I've seen some ADATA ones but they're usually from very shady/obscure sites and sellers.

first for waiting for my £50 x60t to arrive

Read reviews, read feedback for seller, make sure you pay for it via paypal so if need be dispute the purchase and get a refund.

Most fake batteries will be the advertised size HOWEVER they will degrade much quicker. For my X220 I have a genuine 9cell direct from Lenovo, it's lasted 2 years and has only lost 6% capacity with something like 80 cycles but I recently got a "genuine" aka fake 9cell from the chinks and after 10 cycles it's already lost 7% capacity. Both are used with 90% charge limit.For $35 for a fake one I am not complaining though, it still lasts a good 6+ hours of continuous use/web browsing/watching videos/writing.

I have a x220 tablet and the pressure sensitive pen I have works in applications from Windows like notes and the handwriting tool, but for some reason I cannot get it to work in Paint Tool SAI or GIMP. Any fixes?

Anyone know what screws are used to hold the back panel on a T440P?

8mm long, they're in the screw kit "04X5422".

Anyone uses mpv on T420 with iGPU?
What's your config?

To clarify, the picture is a stripped one. I need a new one. Current theory is M2.5x8.

Had a similar problem with a back screw for my X230. I just went into a local computer store and the guy gave me the screw for free. Alternatively, look up screw kits for that model on eBay etc, if they have a list of which ones are included, you can work it out from there.

Are you guys retarded? The official Lenovo ones are also "chink" ones.

amazon.co.uk/Transcend-256-SATA-Type-2240/dp/B00KLTPUG4

God knows user. The above is the only reputable one I've seen, but they're all quite expensive.

t. T440P owner. I gave up and threw an old 840 EVO in the drive bay instead.

What modern-ish thinkpad would make a good update to a T520?

download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t440p_hmm_en_sp40a25467_01.pdf

Always check lenovo maintenance manual.

Did you buy a chink caddy or official? I think I might just buy a caddy and throw an 850 EVO into it since they've come down in price a lot.

Is a 1366x768 screen on a thinkpad bad? or should I buy a 1080p screen laptop?

1366x768 is fine for doing office work, but a higher resolution would be better for video and photo editing

Only going to use it for typing with word. And some occasionally browsing

Pic related. I just duct taped the SSD in place.

You can shove an msata ssd there by using a little adapter as i managed to do if you want or have a spare msata ssd laying around.

The bad news is that it'll get stuck and won't come out though.

i like ur thinking m8

>tfw gets email saying my w520 is "out for delivery"

ill finally be one of the cool kids

Alright, tempted to pull for a X220.

€130 for a bog-standard, ex-corporate model X220 in mint condition (sans sticks).
€?? for some sort of Samsung SSD.
€70-80 for geniune Lenovo 9-cell off Amazon.

Optional: IPS screen if I feel the LCD screen isn't doing it for me.

Am I doing it wrong?

I was going to get a hard drive caddy for an x220 and I was wondering about hard drive thickness. Can I force a 9 mm hdd into a 7.5 drive caddy and just use it with less space? I think the x220 is designed for the smaller form factor hdd. What if I just didn't use a caddy at all and used the 9 mm drive anyway?

Hi Guys I would buy a thinkpad however I need a laptop more suited for my inferiority complex. What should I get.

T400 with Libreboot and an IBM sticker

Help.

>T400
Too good for me, I want people to think I'm a nigger

PowerPC Macbook

A new X250 with i5-5300U @ 2.3GHz, 8GB RAM, Full HD IPS multitouch and 256GB SSD for $900 yes/no? Store seems trying to get rid of it

That will just make people think i'm nuts. I think I will go with a Dell Latitude, or maybe a Samsung.

how aboot this?

I've got a X220 with a UK ISO keyboard, my HHKB has gotten me used to US layout. Will a replacement US keyboard literally plug and play into a UK chassis?

yes
I recently swapped my German ISO QWERTZ for an ANSI QWERTY keyboard.

>for 900 dollars
More like you're retarded
You literally can get a T470 with a good config without the enterprise discount for 100 dollars more

Thanks, user

That has the right combination of kiddy feel and ugliness. Homosexuality AND niggerdom, I like it!

I can't get a proper chink 9cell 44++ because no one sells it

Right, forgot to mention this is eastern Europe shithole. T470 starts at $1800 in roughly the same config as mentioned X250 and the $900 seem more than reasonable. Also no discounts from Lenovo (no official outlet even).

Thanks a ton user.

Ahh then my bad
Then again I'd either advise you get a X230 or a X240

I am having difficulty finding info on the graphics cards. Is gaming even an option or am I in the wrong thread?

depends. modern gaming on a thinkpad is a no brainer. even with dGPU you're not gonna get enough performance for modern titles. retro gaming works of course. all I ever play is HOMM3 so I'm fine with my X60.

dunno i only play eroge and thinkpads work for that

The yoga 11e is the best as we all know

Minimum settings and lowered resolution will still work fine.

what's a good babby's first thinkpad?

No, sounds good, especially if it's in mint condition.

T420/T430, cheap and upgradable as fug

13 or 11e

Does anybody know if the chinks at HOPE/51nb are planning to build a Raven Ridge based mobo?

>ulv pentiums and celery soldered shit

What did I get in the mail today??

P51 or T470p then

ThinkPad 13 2G, best lightweight ThinkPad atm ?

Pikachu
youtube.com/watch?v=48Dp5QkNc08

T460 used but in good condition, do I do it guys?

not for 600 euros

I found an x220 for 99 eurobucks on eBay. It needs an SSD and a battery, but I guess 4 GB ram is fine.
Is it a good deal?
Or should I look for an x230 around 150€?
What's the difference in terms of keyboard and I/O?
Doesn't the x220 feel too old?

T420/430 or X220/230 for smol compupper

Why are T30s relatively rare/expensive on eBay?

I have one working but it's not in the best condition and the screen has an orange tint to it. Would it be worth anything?

What's the highest you would buy it at?

close but no dice!

Nice

>babby enter keys

yeah it even has two adjustable feet for different heights and a few routing channels for the cable.

>ultimatehackingkeyboard.com/blog/2015/09/09/ansi-or-iso-which-keyboard-layout-is-more-ergonomic

How's the battery life of t430 with a 9 cell battery?

hi!

Budget: ~600
Size: idk 14 inches but doesnt have to be exact. just not super small but can fit in a bookbag
Performance: enough to run a virtual machine on top of windows. also at least 6 hrs bat life of normal use (note taking, programming, reading sites)
Other requirements: can't be heavy.. i have a t420 and its too heavy for me to carry to class

budget isn't 100% set in stone. honestly debating on buying a macbook air at this point

T440Pfag here, I ordered a 4810QM and the shinier dGPU heatsink. Anything I need to know or is it just a drop in replacement?

Any tips on battery swapping? I'm assuming 9-cells hold more charge than 6-cells, but is there anything else I should look out for?

depends on your use case

>can't carry a t420
what the h*ck
just get an x220 you weak cunt

What are the overall differences in design theory and feel between the Thinkpad, Precision, and Elitebook?

>ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-X220-12-5-Touch-Tablet-Laptop-Core-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-6GB-160GB-SSD/272822935054?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

did I do good tpg? x220 upgraded with 6gb ram and a 160gb ssd for just under 200. I think I might have been able to get something for less but at least this will get to my place by next week.

Can you guys recommend a laptop case that will fit the T470 with the extended battery?
Pretty please.

Debating between getting a x230 and a T430 , which is more powerful and has more features, and it's more customizable, they are practically the same price from what I've seen

Obviously T430 cause it's bigger and has an ultra bay. x230 is better for mobility.

What do you faggots think about the new AMD Thinkpads (A475 and A275)?

Are there any Thinkpads with CRT screens that are still usable today?

I was assigned an x230 when I was working at IBM. It was my first TP, and love at first sight. Later on I got to work on a T430, and now I own a T420.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but consider this: if you will be using your laptop primarily from home, maybe with a dock-monitor-keyboard-mouse combination, the x230 will provide mobility. The T430 is more suitable to be used on its own, given the larger screen and resolution.

I myself am contemplating on getting an x230 with IPS and mod the keyboard and bios. I just don't have an ips monitor and a dock, so it would be a bigger expense than I am comfortable with these summer months.

>thinkpads with CRT screens
what

yeah you know I like the black levels and overall visual comfiness of CRTs but I need at least a 64 bit Core2 Duo or something. are there any thinkpads with these CPUs and CRT screens?

Can you point me to a laptop that has a CRT monitor?

you know CRTs are as big and heavy as they are for a reason, right? i think maybe one or two weird "laptops" from like the 80s used a CRT monitor. not a single thinkpad or any other sane laptop design ever has.

>h*ck
Go away underage

I'm the user that bought the busted hinge t420 for $36 USD, today I my new lid w/ hinge came in the mail.

Are they really that heavy or is it just a meme

The laptop itself is a case user.

If you expect your laptop to be the weight of a dinner plate, yes.

>62187257

Here's the lid on the left, without the LCD, i will transfer the lcd over lid with the busted hinge.

unscrewing the drive access plate gets really fucking annoying and dethreads the screw.
do hotswap bay mods exist?

No they're like nothing in a backpack

How did you fuck up quoting yourself

Ultrabay caddy?

>and dethreads the screw

No it fucking doesn't