/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560 - poverty-tier builds
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 or Vega 56 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games
>Good fucking luck even getting a VEGA right now

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor
Fuck miners

Other urls found in this thread:

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/dD2LZ8
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC
youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI
pcpartpicker.com/user/Ayz/saved/XXzHxr
pcpartpicker.com/list/tCJCRG
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/Csg6VY
es.pcpartpicker.com/user/Ayz/saved/yVHxYJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fr.pcpartpicker.com/list/dD2LZ8
What PSU should I get with this? The one that's listed is a stand-in for the one I have right now (be quiet system power 7, 80+ bronze 350W), and I think it could just about do for this build, but probably not with an overclock.
Also if I fucked something up, feel free to tell me. I just ordered all of it but I could always cancel the orders. The storage I already had from before.

An uncle installed an unactivated copy of windows 10 that doesn't update I don't know the details and I can't talk with him right now ,what do I have to do with it when I change everything but my HDDs?

W10 should update even if you haven't activated it. Unless you're talking about LTSB maybe?

I'm doing a build for my MIL who only uses the PC to check Facebook and buy shit off Amazon, with some Netflix thrown in. It's going to run Windows 7. Is 4GB of RAM enough or should I bump it to 8GB?

>GTX 1060 6GB for $240
I shouldn't be debating this.

Should I replace my 270X with a 90€ RX560 while waiting for rx stocks to replenish?

I almost bought one, but the jump from a 1050Ti just wasn't worth it with those inflated prices. 135€ for the Ti vs 230 for the 1060. I hate miners.

4 should be enough, assuming she doesn't have/installs several background programs that hog memory, or likes to leave 100 Chrome tabs open like some people do.

I cheked in the registry it's not ltsb but it's somehow been made to stay at version 1511 and it's not activated because I have the watermark

Explain yourselves.

now show me the graph of average fps per dollar

That's the benchmark for the Destiny 2 Beta. Which they bitched about the game not using AMD's SMT which would drastically improve performance.

>We'll make it use all cores!
>We forgot to mention it's just for Intel

Its a beta, and made in part by activision, the console cucklord. Did you actually expect them to optimize for shit?

I think i'm done, do i pull the trigger on this lads?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC2 HYBRID GAMING Video Card

>beta
It's called a time-limited demo you stupid fuck. When will this fucking meme end.

When did /pcbg/ become /r/intel and /r/nvidia?

R5 1600 or i5 7600k for gaming? Probably alongside 1060 3gb.

Is ryzen 5 such a huge upgrade to warrant the 100 dollar price bump over ryzen 3? I mean, if you're on a budget

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC
>outdated
Why? What has changed?

Don't get a 3gb.

Even the creators say it's a limited time BETA. Not a demo.

R5 1600
youtube.com/watch?v=4RMbYe4X2LI

>When did /pcbg/ become /r/intel
never, this thread is a ryzen dicksucking contest

Interesting, logical increments says either amd or intel, tomshardware says intel, AMD shill on Sup Forums says AMD... I don't know who to believe.

Beta has lost all of its meaning. It's either a demo or paid demo you get with pre ordering.

that's the point he was making. they're lying. that's not what a beta is.
same thing with the trailers that say "alpha footage". or even "pre-alpha" nowadays.

if you just want gaming performance right now, i5. if you want better multitasking or non-gaming performance, and a better upgrade path later on, ryzen.

for $100 you're going from a 1200 to a 1600, that's a huge bump yes.

oh and yeah don't get a 3Gb. that's underpowered compared to those cpus.

depends what you want to do with it.

Damn. Already went with the r3. Oh well, poverty build for now and then later, the good stuff.

I did the same thing The 1200 is good enough for now for 1080p60.

Do I have to threadrip to record at 1080p and stream while rendering

hey dudes im in canada where can i buy a rig + monitor for 1200 but also gives me the opportunity to have a finance plan like pay 89$ per month instead of 1200 in one go ... thanks

alternatively refer me to the actual place i should be asking if it's not the right place

Remove the cooler and get a 1700 with the savings.
If you don't need 8 SATAs, then go for a b350 motherboard
Remember to check the motherboard's QVL, even if it's a meme.

Not in leafland, but maybe you could go to almost any store with a list of stuff and tell I'll pay you in like 24 months, thanks, me too

Try to build something on pcpartpicker and the Anons from here will yell at you if you fucked it up and just fix it.

getting a 1700 if he doesn't care about massively multithreaded applications or very demanding multitasking is stupid.

future proof and better perfomance in anything. Why limiting yourself while consuming more energy and getting higher temps while you could just go for the big goy spending the same and getting more perfomance and cores for free?

Do not post l*nus here EVER again.

i dont wanna make the pc myself... also it's not even for me

1TB SSD versus many terabytes 7200rpm plus a smaller SSD to use for something like bcache?

Most people use a 250-500 GB SSD for the OS, and then a 1TB to 3TB 7200 rpm HDD for mass storage

>1TB of Rock solid and dependable performance while sipping at power and barely producing any heat
Vs
>10x7,200rpm disks in raid 0 with a tiny SSD as cache. Shit load more power usage, heat generation, and points of failure. All while being slower than even the cheapest of nvme based SSDs

Gee idk you tell me which you'd go for

Is VESA mounting a meme?

I went with the 1300x instead of 1200, does that make a huge difference?

$30 wasted

I already have a SSD for my OS and 2TB HDD for storage. What I'm currently looking into is getting something more for running a bunch of VMs and I was comparing just going with a 1TB SSD or maybe using something like bcache or dm-cache to speed up a spinning drive that has many more TB.

R5 1600, current i5s are bankrupt and finished

NCase M1
Samsung EVO 960 M.2 500GB SSD
Asrock Ab350 mITX mobo
AMD R7 1700x
Noctua L12
Some kind of 2x8GB 3000MHz RAM

Will I regret it?

at that point, just get a large SSD
See:

What kind of stupid question is this?

You're a meme

I forgot.

SF600 Corsair
And ill keep using my R9 290 until drivers mature for VEGA or nVidias next offering

>not having sold your 290 to retarded miners for more than you originally paid for it three years ago

Actually now that I think about it, maybe it would be better to do like you said, get a SSD to assign to the VMs' operating systems, and a HDD to assign to be the VMs' mass storage.

>not using it to mine
Retard alert

I got it like 2 years ago

you're in the wrong thread then.

>Ncase
Literally why. Such a waste of money. You're paying premium price for less case. Just get a Corsair or cooler master case for 1/4th the price. The CM elite 130 case is like $40 and does all of what the Ncase can.
Get the 1200 and overclock. Take that saved $30 and invest into an aftermarket cooler. Or faster RAM.

And let's be honest. A year from now a Ryzen 1600/1700 will probably be below $150 used. You'll be able to upgrade on the cheap easily. Just make sure to invest into a good B350 board.

depends on how much money you have and how much storage you need.

you get better performance before OC, and identical performance after OC. if you don't plan to OC, or not right away, the 1300x will be a bit faster. i'm going to overclock it so i went for the 1200.

What do you guys think of this build. I have already bought the cpu, mobo, case, and psu. Is there anything I should change on it before I buy the rest?

pcpartpicker.com/user/Ayz/saved/XXzHxr

I don't plan to OC, I guess the 30 was worth it if I don't feel like messing around. I know it's easy but I'm not worried about it on a build like this. I went with a msi b350 tomahawk arctic on sale, will that board last me a decent amount of time? My asus board was similarly priced and I squeezed 6.5 years out of it, I literally just made the switch from ddr3 to 4, and from windows 7 to 10

Everything looks fine. I think you could have done better for the case but it's bought already.
Maybe consider a larger SSD if you want to have several different games on it at the same time. I'm running a 120GB right now and it gets a little tight.

>will that board last me a decent amount of time?
it should. and it allows OC so in a few years if you feel like your cpu is running out of breath, you will be able to get more performance in a few minutes.

Ebay 20% off day. "P20LABORDAY"

gotta be honest, i'm sad i got so little reaction to the image i chose.

does that code work on anything we should care about?

I'm planning on just using the SSD as a boot drive. As for the case it is surprisingly well built. I have every thing wired up that i bought and there is more than enough room for all the wires. Build quality is fine too. I prefer to have no window so the small one on this case works well for me. It is all aluminum, all the edges seem smooth and I haven't gotten cut on it yet so I don't have any complaints.

pcpartpicker.com/list/tCJCRG
Here is my build, I am mostly happy with all the parts of it but I wanted to specifically ask about the monitor if it seems like a decent one in performance vs cost. As well as the speakers. I really want to get a good speaker set up and just felt like asking in here if anyone has some favorite speakers they get for their PC if concerned about music quality.

>Newegg still hasn't shipped any Vega 56

Is there anything wrong with changing mobo without reinstalling windows and just installing new mobo drivers?Will my pc run slower?

>does that code work on anything we should care about?
Antyhing $25+

from a very limited selection that doesn't include any computer parts

When changing parts you dont need to reinstall windows just delete the old drivers after you install the new ones and you should be fine.

its only usable on certain sellers... who marked up their prices

es.pcpartpicker.com/list/Csg6VY

What would you change here?

fair enough then.

that's a lot of fans.
i just have my pc wired up to my stereo.

>from a very limited selection that doesn't include any computer parts

Yeah. Newehh just modified all their listings to invalidate it. Fuck.

I wouldn't buy on a dead platform and i wouldn't buy ram with leds on it. that PSU is way overkill.

how strict are the ram qvl's? There is a bundle with a 1700 and the mobo i want, but it comes with the rgb version of ram that is on the qvl, while the rgb one is not listed.

I know you can do it like that I'm just asking if it can make my pc run slower than a complete windows reinstall

I used the plataform because it is easier to show it all together. I will buy it locally

But I will get better RAM and a lower PSU. Thank you

i don't mean pcpartpicker, i mean intel.

What's the price of Vega 56 going to be once mining dies?

Get a ryzen 1600. You will get the same performance in gaming while having better longevity since games will be optimized for more cores in the future. Here is what I would recomend instead

es.pcpartpicker.com/user/Ayz/saved/yVHxYJ

No it will not run slower.

What kind of stereo set up are you using?

an inexpensive one i got from a store. but if you're an audiophile i'm sure you have a nice setup already.

>i5
No.

>People trying to shill for cryptocurrency and telling people that paying $300 for $200 video cards is just practical sense given demand

I want to behead these people. I want to force them down and use a steak knife to behead them on camera. I want them to beg. I want them to beg and offer me all their bitcoin or crypto shit. I want them to realize it's not going to work. And I want to cry before I kill them in the realization that what they've done has meant nothing.

if you though it was going to get better, countries are starting to recognize bitcoin as a legal currency.

>first the switch
>then memory
>now video cards
casualizing video games was a mistake

Then I suppose I'll just have to finance internal violence and burn those countries to the ground.

t.edgymanchild

Looks like we have a volunteer.

Is even worth try to build something based on used G34/X58 mobos this days?

sure if you come to my door and ask to behead me I will willingly let you do it. But you wont because you're an edgy manchild who just wants to gameon his pc instead of being a productive member of society you worthless sack of edgy shit.

Is it normal if my Ryzen jumps from 35°C to 45°C in a second and then loses temperature again until it reaches 35°C again and then makes that jump again? Could it have something to do with the CPU fan settings in the BIOS?

Nahalem was a god platform, but for the same or less money, you can get a brand new AMD 970 board with native SATA 3, USB 3, all that shit, but if you find the X58 board extremely cheap, do it.

>once mining dies
lol

You. You I like. Your head remains safe.