Will you buy it?

Will you buy it?

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor
fsf.org/blogs/community/replicant-developers-find-and-close-samsung-galaxy-backdoor
snwh.org/moka
github.com/snwh/moka-icon-theme
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=champion.gnuroot&hl=en
wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's literally worse than an iPhone and windows phone combined. Why would anyone buy it at all?

What makes you say that? looks comfy

no apps, looks gay

>Linux on a phone
We already have Linux on phones, It's called Android.

/thread

>10% of funding after the first week

Let's not pretend that this shit is getting funded.

This is GNU/Linux though.

>'libre' freedums phone
>to connect to a cellular network with

Why are freetards so fucking stupid? You cannot have a 'freedom' phone because using cell towers infringes on your fucking privacy.

>It's called Android.

Android is nice, but we want the entire GNU userspace because Termux is shit. So is Linux Deploy...

Termux isn't shit, it just isn't as good as a proper terminal

They're literally the same apps that are available on GNOME desktop. Nothing is new, here.

Buy a used N900 as a true hacker.

Post Justine's feminine penis.

>no apps
>Full linux distro
Do you have a working brain?

>Android
I believe you meant to say Java/Linux

>Termux isn't shit, it just isn't as good as a proper terminal
Termux can't even write to an external sdcard, it can't use "sudo" and its missing a lot of other shit.

A proper user-space is ideal, not useless workarounds.

Nope

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. Having Termux is better than having no cli

More like JavaScript/Linux.

You can, however, tell the phone to be always disconnected, unless you actually need to be connected. You can also actually disable the baseband processor so it can't spy on you by being connected to the mic at all times.

Install Gentoo RAP for Android

>Install Gentoo
Not falling for this again

git gud distrolet

I'd buy her sure why not

best post in this thread

So essentially no apps (kik, clover, uber, netflix, memrise, ect), got it.

If you read their page on it, they have the baseband processor separated and with a physical kill switch. It's as good a compromise as you're gonna get honestly.

Holy retard batman, why can't you browse Sup Forums in a full browser like you do on pc? Why do you need clover? Same for netflix.

>kik, clover, uber, netflix, memrise, ect
A phone poster gone full retard.

Oh sorry I have a job irl. Must be nice being able to gorge yourself on chicken tenders all day while ricing your pedophile linux desktop all day long.

.... Yeah, you're a fucking retard alright.
>installing a browser is ricing
Get off Sup Forums, you don't belong here,

How is it related you dumbfuck? Or do you want compare penis size too?

>whines about software he wouldn't be able to install
>whines about having to install software

>Oh sorry I have a job irl. Must be nice being able to gorge yourself on chicken tenders all day while ricing your pedophile linux desktop all day long.
>ricing your pedophile linux desktop
>pedophile linux desktop

the way you insult makes me believe you work in a tendies factory.

The best part is that he literally has to install apps either way, his job must be shovelling horse shit or something, it can't be anything that requires a working brain.

>full browser
On a five inch phone?

>implying I haven't already backed enough to get one after it's done.

lincucks everybody

Yes?

This is basically what Ubuntu Phone should've been and it's even using Gnome (soon to be Ubuntu default)

Just stop posting, you outed yourself as a double digit IQ phoneposter already. Save yourself more embarrassment.

>Do you even know who the CEO of apple is?
Your dad? Are you a faggot just like your dad?

Just stop posting, you outed yourself as a double digit IQ fat smelly pedophile neet already. Save yourself more embarrassment.

Oh sorry I set that as my name in clover to piss off macfags and iToddlers in their shill threads but I don't know how to turn it off lol.

I'm buying one.

>I don't know how to turn it off lol.

Wow, we don't see newfag trolls very often...

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

It's supposed to be a "security focused phone" and they want this to get people into the "digitial rights revolution."

They will need marketing resources, and if this is like any other FOSS phone endeavor, I presume they won't even try to market it because as sad as I must admit, the FOSS community is absolutely TERRIBLE at marketing, so it will gain no mainstream adoption and fade into obscurity like the rest of them. They will probably try to rely on word of mouth, but at best that will gain them some adoption in FOSS circles but it will score them no luck in gaining any mainstream adoption because most people don't keep up the FOSS community.

It will most likely only be sold from their website and not sold in any stores on carrier websites or any brick and mortar stores, which means that only some people who are already in-the-know will buy it.

If this even reaches production, based on past observation of similar FOSS smartphone attempts, I don't expect it to last long.

Yeah they need help from a bigger company

No
Because android exists

>desktop apps on a PHONE

No. Stop. This. Now.

No, the only good compromise is not using a phone in the first place.

So how do I call people?

The kernel doesn't protect you from proprietary firmware and hardware, such as the baseband:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseband_processor
>A baseband processor typically uses its own RAM and firmware
>Since the software which runs on baseband processors is usually proprietary, it is impossible to perform an independent code audit. By reverse engineering some of the baseband chips, researchers have found security vulnerabilities that could be used to access and modify data on the phone remotely
fsf.org/blogs/community/replicant-developers-find-and-close-samsung-galaxy-backdoor
>Today's phones come with two separate processors: one is a general-purpose applications processor that runs the main operating system, e.g. Android; the other, known as the modem, baseband, or radio, is in charge of communications with the mobile telephony network. This processor always runs a proprietary operating system, and these systems are known to have backdoors that make it possible to remotely convert the modem into a remote spying device. The spying can involve activating the device's microphone, but it could also use the precise GPS location of the device and access the camera, as well as the user data stored on the phone. Moreover, modems are connected most of the time to the operator's network, making the backdoors nearly always accessible
>we discovered that the proprietary program running on the applications processor in charge of handling the communication protocol with the modem actually implements a backdoor that lets the modem perform remote file I/O operations on the file system
Welcome to the botnet.

A home line.

Sorry, I actually like the 21st century.

>21th century
>still using gifs

> call 13053434567 > /dev/null 2>&1

> urandom > call 1334433343

>using anime reaction pictures

And apparently you also like walking around with a proprietary OS constantly communicating with cellular providers. Every step you take, they'll be watching you

>desktop apps on a PHONE

Enabling the path for a true convergence device, capable to work as a phone, making video and audio calls, encrypted messaging, email, web browser, that can also become a full desktop computer with an option for a compatible keyboard, mouse, and monitor. It can be a desktop computer and phone all-in-one.

Yes, but please not on a 5" inch screen.

Gnome niggers expects everybody to use touchscreen.

While I'm skeptical that the phone will reach it's funding goal, the company itself seems to be growing steadily over the past few years. Their laptop sales are improving as far as I can tell.

Can I change the icon theme? Skeuomorphism isn't my thing.

It's gnome so why not?

>Can I change the icon theme?
Yes

sauce

snwh.org/moka

github.com/snwh/moka-icon-theme

>Yes, but please not on a 5" inch screen.
So, use a monitor, also I'm pretty sure gnome will run everything full screen, like Windows 8 did.

>Gnome niggers expects everybody to use touchscreen.

Not sure why you think only gnome can be installed.

My dream rig is a stable and fast gnu/linux tablet with good battery. alwinner tablets and atom are just POS to run anything useful.

>stable and fast gnu/linux tablet with good battery.
Surface Pro 4

The best thing that can happen to them and the backers is if that fails to reach the goal.

This would be the 3-4th Linux based phone to be attempted, and it will surely fail.

If they truly want to succeed, they should start by simply forking from the failed projects and finish what they started. eg. Mer/Sailfish, Ubuntu Touch, Firefox OS, KDE mobile, etc

Purism's tablet should start shipping around December or so

>This would be the 3-4th Linux based phone to be attempted, and it will surely fail.

No, it'll work this time, the phone is affordable and has compatibility with Arch and Gentoo as well. The Librem 5 will even run the obscure Subgraph OS.

>linux phone
>cia nigger backdoors
no thanks

Trolling on Sup Forums, how random!

No i hate tablets they are to me impractical nothing beats mouse and keyboard

Feel free to install GNU then. In fact, it's already been packaged in many different ways for Android.

Example: play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=champion.gnuroot&hl=en

Linux is a botnet

>trolling
ah, ok. yeah sure
if loonix were 100% secure

>No, it'll work this time, the phone is affordable and has compatibility with Arch and Gentoo as well

But they'll have their own fucking spin on it rather than work with postmarketOS.

Fuck em.

does it have full disk encryption?

I'm asking this because the last time i tried Ubuntu 16.04 or whatever it was called, there wasn't any full disk encryption (well, you could enable it for your home folder if you wrote 20k lines of code into the terminal).

Android has FDE
Windows Phone has FDE
iPhone has FDE
Linux phone = idk

its not about size. "full" refers to functionality. if you plug a 5 inch monitor into your desktop you still have a "full" pc.

vaporware phone that will never get off the ground

enjoy your kickstarter scam

>a home line

Might as well use pic related.

You're wrong. The Ubuntu installer has for ages offered filesystem encryption via ecryptfs (your home folder), and also block device encryption via dm-crypt. And neither of those require "20k lines of code" to configure, and in fact it's better to configure manually just so you understand the basics of what's going on. Clearly you don't understand at all, especially if you blindly trust whatever encryption solution your device offers.

But there already was Linux for smartphones and it was discounted.

wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch

Muh freedums doesn't protect from no support and shitty software

A literal hardware-level backdoor sounds like some real shitty software

>on the internet
>complaining about bwckdoors

Only if Justine comes included

>not using a rotary phone

Yes, JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN

To be honest, my plan was installing gentoo on a nexus that's why I buy it, if you have a good touchscreen support and something similar to f-droid I am in.

>HexChat
>IRC
The patrician choice

There's no backdoors in my system

10/10

People put money into the Ouya, you better believe in plebs funding garbage

FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS