"the reason our CPU is so expensive and shitty is because it's open!!! it's open!!! it's open source hardware guyz it's...

>"the reason our CPU is so expensive and shitty is because it's open!!! it's open!!! it's open source hardware guyz it's open!!!!!"
>do some DEEP DEEP digging into the hardware, uses powervr gpu
Never trust the Germans.
Do you think their "modular SOC" implementation could eventually allow one to just pop something sane into it?

This shit is literally a scam

Don't shit on Germans just because one retarded transvestite.
Also original OpenPandora was a great idea, not well executed though but it was good hardware for the time, this thing however is even worse executed and a failure, if it even get's into production stage at all.

>Do you think their "modular SOC" implementation could eventually allow one to just pop something sane into it?
EvilDragon told me that "You could literally put a better Intel Atom SoC then the GPD Win inside it!".
But after I asked how, because the GPD Win already has the best Atom SoC and requires active cooling, something Pyra SoC modules don't account for, he never got back to me.

wait wait pyra is passively cooled?

Yes

It uses a ARM SoC from 2011, what do you think?

holy fuck

Successful though, thousands of people have preordered the 700€ one.

bump

How is it a scam, you get what you pay for if you're dumb enough.
It's shit but it's in no way a scam.

aye nice trip
how long did that take you to gen

I've never heard of whatever the hell this is. Is it because I'm not a eurofag?

nah - it's because you don't pay attention.

IIRC it's one of those publicly available trips when you dig deep enough

I don't pay attention to shitty looking nitendo knockoffs? Guilty as charged.

Now what the fuck is it actually?

what specific Nintendo product is it knocking off?

the design is a DS obviously

do you really think so?

>Now what the fuck is it actually?
shitty ARM based Linux portable "computer"/emulation device

obviously the same

It's a GBA SP but rectangular

Who the hell buys these things anyway?

How long did it take you to generate those trips?

Pretty much.

Both are handheld gayming devices, both are clamshell design. Pretty safe to call it a Nintendo knockoff.

Those gameboys that flip open. It's got the gameboy controls. I see a flip-open gameboy knockoff with more buttons that runs debian for some reason. Why? Why to it all? What's the purpose, what's the intended market? Why is this being discussed and why do people even know what it is?

Is this one of those kickstarter things again?

How the Hell should I know if someone just shared it one day and I didn't make it myself?

so are these devices knocking off laptops?
are laptops briefcase knockoffs?
are briefcases clam knockoffs?
what's your threshold on this kinda thing

>Linux portable "computer"/
A poorly designed laptop then?
>ARM based
okay....
>emulation device
It's ARM emulating x86? For what conceivable purpose?

The Open Pandora came out even before emulators on phones were a viable thing. This thing was announced before the GPD Win.
They have good intentions but always deliver a product that should have been out four years earlier, and the hardware shows it.

no, it's not, it's for a target market that you're not part of
why do niches upset you so?

> It's ARM emulating x86?
how far up your ass you have to reach to pull that one out?

What's its niche? I'm not upset, just perplexed.

It's predecessor was originally a crowdfunding thing. The OpenPandora.
This one is a "preorder" but immensely more shit.

Also, nothing wrong with kickstarter shit, good ones like the GPD Win actually came from those places.

Okay, then what do you mean by emulation device?

>It's ARM emulating x86? For what conceivable purpose?
What?

No, emulating old game consoles to play the games on a handheld

Playing gaymes, mostly via emulation

Pyra sucks though, it's pretty much "a scam" now

people who like emulators. You know, SNES, PSX, CPS2, PCEngine, DOS stuff, MAME, etc.
it's also just a general Linux machine you can pocket. it's nifty. But the hardware is just inexcusable.

>But the hardware is just inexcusable.
price also
600€ for base model? yeah, no, especially not for that hardware/build quality

>>No, emulating old game consoles to play the games on a handheld
Oh.... so definitely a nitendo knockoff then, my first impression was correct.

Do people actually buy these instead of real nitendos? I mean, more than just a few nerds who buy it just for the sake of putting gentoo on it just because they can?

build quality ought to be unmatched - the guy is hand fabbing these to his exact desired spec. it's just the actual hardware specs that are so trash.

>Do people actually buy these instead of real nitendos?
Well, Nintendo DS is awful at emulation shit and Switch hasn't been "hacked" yet not is it the same formfactor ever.
So yeah, a dedicated emulation device that runs several platforms, people do buy these, people bought the OpenPandora and GPD Win, but the Pyra as said, is a pretty dumb option, especially since it's probably never going to see the light of day.

>nintendo it's the only game company that exists and I will ignore anything in that post that isn't about games
Back to fucking degenerate

dude this bait is so bad

You sTUPID MOTHERFUCKER he's talking about your digits.

Not really. The case is pretty much designed to make 3D printing prototypes easy, the parts used like display and buttons are the cheapest of the cheap, etc.
His hand fabbing them as prototypes to make people think they are good, in the end they will be shitty screwed together pieces of cheap plastic again like the OpenPandora.
The chinks did the Win for 300€ and the build quality (except the shitty QC itself) is really on the same high as any official Nintendo product for example.

A game is a game. Nitendo is the Xerox of games.

>Nitendo is the Xerox of games.
"Nitendo" bonus bait points for trying to piss of Sup Forums and /vr/ fags.
No, Nintendo has as much to do with games as Apple did with the mouse.

stop fucking deepthroating the bait so hard holy shit
just stop replying

>GPD Win
I went to their website and tried to buy it. Their links to stores selling it aren't links at all, just images.

Is this because they're a bunch of chinamen?

That means that they aren't officially selling any in that particular site right now.
If you wouldn't be a doofus and check the other links you'd understand.

I don't think they update that site anymore

If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Looks like a thick 3DS XL with a keyboard instead of a touchscreen. Why not just hack a 3DS..?

>GPD Win already has the best Atom SoC
Z8750 is the best Atom SoC? Is this 2014?

Yup, intel discounted the Atom after the Z8750.
Also it's from 2016.

You had one shot.
Palms are sweaty, knees weak arms spaghetti.

good luck playing ape escape on that

>GPD Win
SHILL

I have one pre-ordered. I have no interest in the gaming applications. The ergonomics look pretty reasonable to have a palm top xfce desktop. It should have a cell-module in it for mobile data and to use as a phone replacement (you can make calls with a earphone/mic)

To me it seems better thought out and more use-able than the gpd win due to the gaming history of the device.

How is it more usable if it's way more limited? The Win runs Linux too now you know.

#1 I figure if the weebs worked out the ergonomics with those game pads to play for hours it is going to work nicely to push the mouse pointer around.

#2 I may have pre-ordered before the gpd win came out (don't remember).

#3 I really want to get free of the android / cellphone botnet. I've programmed linux/x11 for many, many years so this thing uses all the programming tools and api's that I'm familiar with. (Ive only fucked a little with java and never programmed something on android). This gizmo was just about the first think I saw that ticked all the boxes.

#4 The early gpd wins were pretty shitty. Also the cheapest sources for it seemed suspect the last time I looked.

hopefully it works out well, and a lot more devices in this form factor are going to be created.

>I figure if the weebs worked out the ergonomics with those game pads to play for hours it is going to work nicely to push the mouse pointer around.
that's a bonus for the GPD Win though

>I really want to get free of the android / cellphone botnet. I've programmed linux/x11 for many, many years so this thing uses all the programming tools and api's that I'm familiar with. (Ive only fucked a little with java and never programmed something on android). This gizmo was just about the first think I saw that ticked all the boxes.
You plan on using it as a cellphone replacement? Jesus Christ, just get a N900 or something

>The early gpd wins were pretty shitty. Also the cheapest sources for it seemed suspect the last time I looked.
This was several revisions ago, just get one from a reseller, easy to deal with warranty and tested beforehand
Money is obviously not an issue when you actually considering a Pyra

It's too late for you now anyways, hope the Pyra comes out this decade and you will have yours

yeah, I know the gpd win has its history in some sort of gaming device as well. When I was looking around, people really speak highly of the pandora, and the same crew seems to be working on the pyra, and they seem super obsessive about the controls.

I am not religious about it, you or somebody asked why somebody would buy it, and I just explained my reasons.

No, the thumbsticks on the Win are literary the same as on the Vita, they are nippon made.

>>Money is obviously not an issue when you actually considering a Pyra

'guilty' as charged. No reason I can't buy any or all of the above. Pyra looked interesting, so I per-ordered. It's just that simple.

like intel compute card thing? i think it's a great idea i hope it takes off bigtime, stick little phone sized module into wtfever and it's a decent useful pc, and hopefully of some use even without the card (monitors, maybe keyboard pc enclosures)

Ahahah no

The Z8700/Z8750 is really a great x86 SoC compared to any of the older ones, like Z8350. It's miles ahead.
A M3 would probably be better, but while the Z8700 is already pushing it with power/heat, the lowest power M3's start at 1W higher power usage, even when they are 50% faster, could probably undervolt/clock it.

Might be something for the future. Right now the Win though is quite stunning, pretty much everybody has been speechless after seeing a device that size running games like Skyrim and Crysis 2.

I like the form factor but its shit hardware for the price.

>wanting a fan in a fucking handheld device
are you retarded?

It's for people who want a more open handheld device than a babby gaming setup for children and retards.

I don't see the problem, this is cool. What I do see is extremely obvious shilling against it even though apparently nobody's even properly given it a whirl yet.

Makes me think.

An option would be nice, like with the Win you have a hardware switch, using the fan will grant you much better performance as it can continually run with turbo speeds and still stay cool.

lies, potato and ignorance. Ed is known for not hyping. No promises or fakery. He sells gpd products. He is open about them too. Moreso than gpd itself.

Economies of scale. Smaller batches mean higher prices.
>Do you think their "modular SOC" implementation could eventually allow one to just pop something sane into it?
Certainly, it's literally designed to do so.

>Never trust the Germans
never have and never will

He sells GPD products to make money. He literally makes 100€ PROFIT from one Win.
If you check the old forums, he was sure that GPD will NEVER deliver.
He was ignorantly arguing with anyone who sided with GPD saying that it can't be done.
Don't try to even talk about GPD with him, while he sells them, hes not even that knowledgable about the Win.

typical i don't understand anything about economics and price development or anything about technology

why don't you go back to r/linux to the bunch of like minded tech illiterate fuckbois

The gpd win is honestly the only decent thing I've ever seen come out of crowdfunding.

But it still has serious issues since its technically chink shit.
Lots of defects, a lot can go wrong with all those tiny chinese parts and sending it back if you get chinked can be expensive.
I doubt the thing will last more than a few years if used heavily.

Guess we are spoilt for choice when it comes to handheld keyboard-laden handhelds...
Guy makes most open, most complex thing in current marketplace, with safety, serviceability, modularity, free software and open hardware in mind. If that isnt in your hands fast enough, then go ahead and use the things that already are. If it isnt for you, then you either want something more in the way of what it is, or need to stop new/g-ing.

>The gpd win is honestly the only decent thing I've ever seen come out of crowdfunding.
Not to mention how much money it made.

>But it still has serious issues since its technically chink shit.
The build quality is superb, I don't know anything bitching about it since the second revision. It's only quality control that's shit, as in chink shit.

>Lots of defects, a lot can go wrong with all those tiny chinese parts and sending it back if you get chinked can be expensive.
>I doubt the thing will last more than a few years if used heavily.
Resellers, it's easier to deal with them than directly with GPD and they also at least have some level of testing before they send you the unit.
I don't think it will fail with just a few years, the lid is basically like a Nintendo DS and the sticks are the same as the Vita's, it's pretty well built. I guess it depends how well you keep your shit.

We have no choice, that's the problem.
There isn't a big enough market for this.

If you want fully open, get a used OpenPandora, if you want good hardware, get a Win.
This this has been promised for 2/3th's of a decade already and there is still no date to when you will get one if you pre ordered.

Well yes. You know about the reliability because ed writes about it. The gpd win battery is glued in. >you have to go back.
No, you can send it to ed if you buy it there. Guy is too nice for his own good. See the things he does to make amends for people and bring cool stuff to market, working insane hours while doing so.

>You know about the reliability because ed writes about it.
This has nothing to do with EvilDragon, the communities this thing gets dusucces are places EvilDragon does not even go to

>The gpd win battery is glued in. >you have to go back.
What are you implying? It's easy enough to change if you aren't a total idiot, sadly most people who these kind of devices attract are

>No, you can send it to ed if you buy it there. Guy is too nice for his own good. See the things he does to make amends for people and bring cool stuff to market, working insane hours while doing so.
He says he takes returns ON HIS SITE, that's nothing weird for a reseller.
Your shilling won't make people forget what an autistic tranny he is. Is this again one of his "close buddies"? Jesus Christ you guys are more retarded than security fags from the late 90's.

where can you get those soft bomb batteries? its not meant to be replaced if its glued in the case and is one of those that you can bend so it explodes.