Memebook Pixel

Is 3:2 a meme resolution? Should I buy a chromebook pixel and put linux on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.lessonslearned.org/building-a-more-secure-development-chromebook/
vger.kernel.org/~davem/chromebook_pixel_linux.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You can get a 2013 model refurbed for a low 200 if you lurk ebay.
Linux works fine, a full replacement of chromeos though leaves a shitty warning development screen each startup. After that you hit seabios and it's smooth sailing.

I see people more often doing tjhe dev mode chroot thing which seems pretty easy.

Is that more advised than doing a full boot into linux? I guess it depends what one will end up doing but if the performance is not shit then coudln't hurt.

I have one and I use crouton.

If the heat or battery life doesn't bother you, it is an amazing machine.

If you dont mind a normie coming in and wiping your distro.

My gf did this.

By doing what?

What's the battery life like? Using an x230 now and I get like 2 hours so it can't be that bad.

Just want something cheap with a high resolution screen.

It says to disable dev mode by pressing space, if you do it wipes everything. You have to hit ctrl+d to boot.

And I get around 3 hours on average. But I bought mine used with a worn battery. The screen on it is killer, but it has an image persistence issue like the Retina macbooks.

Sound like problems I can live with.

Particularly if running linux, they seem like one of the cheaper, better options. At least for the screen. 3:2 is a bonus.

The computer itself is nice, the battery is total shit.

As long as it's not sub 1.5 hours it's usually enough for me.

I get 3-4hours with decent usage I run Gallium Linux. It's shit in terms of battery, but screen quality and overall build is fucking top tier.

How much did you get it for?

For the price, would you rather have bought something more common to run linux on? Thinkpad?

3:2 is an aspect ratio, not a resolution.

I dont regret paying $280 for mine.

$290 I wouldn't recommend buying it tho especially for Linux.

nice wii

but..the screen....

3:2.....

The soundcard in mine died a month after warranty. Also the "unsecure boot" bit is volatile, if the battery backing it runs dead you'll be completely locked out of your computer if you installed proper linux on it.

Yeah, the screen is nice but if happens to you, it will ruin your day...

BACK UP OFTEN

3:2 is pretty nice. I don't bother with Linux though.

If you've no interest in linux, then get a retina mac. ChromeOS is completely pointless.

Is this applicable to using the crouton method or just the bios replacement

Got my C720 for $40. It truly is a piece of shit. At least it can play Nethack and OpenMorrowind. My phone literally has twice as much RAM as it (4gb vs 2gb)

I don't believe it impacts crouton, but I can't say that for certain. It happened to me a year after I replaced ChromeOS entirely and set it up to use SeaBIOS.

I loved my 2015 one. I regret having sold it almost monthly.

If you want a 3:2 laptop, buy a matebook x.
>modern 7th gen i5/i7 u processors
>fanless
>bigger 13" screen, yet has a smaller footprint, is thinner and weighs a whole pound less.
If you have the money it isn't even a competition.

Actually I don't have the money, that's why I'm considering this.

I don't want another 1368x768 thinkpad in twenty seventeen

>two usb-c ports
yeah nah

>2 hours
You need a new battery. I get 5-7 hours on mine.

But I want a new machine.

I don't know what is Memebook Pixel, I know Memebook Pro, Memebook Air.

>I don't know thread topic
>clicks on thread

Chromebook Pixel, those extremely overpriced chrombooks google put out.

The older models can be had for cheap-ish now and they have nice screens and you can put linux on them.

>Is 3:2 a meme resolution?
No, it's a non-meme aspect ratio.

the fuck? linux is the only reason to buy it

Chrome OS could be comfy

blog.lessonslearned.org/building-a-more-secure-development-chromebook/

chromeos is only supported for 5 yrs on devices so it's not going to get updates soon

do yourself a favor and buy a mi book air
chromebooks are garbage, the keyboard is trash, and i general resources are to limited

The prices of these are nothing alike.

I don't need Linux anymore, and it's not worth the dev mode headache and ugliness.

isn't crouton easy? what headache

No, productivity resolution. If you do video consumption then drop it. if you do prog or intensive reading then go

If you consider a matebook, then buy a surfacebook

That Samsung Chromebook Pro is also 3:2 isn't it?

Why are Chromebooks the only ones getting this aspect ratio? Do any Windows laptops have it?

Why fall for memes like this? Just buy any Chromebook you can find on Open Box/Refurbished special for less than $200 and go. Paying more than $200 for one of these is dumb, paying $300+ is flat out idiotic. Save your shekels and put them towards upgrading your desktop PC.

Hell, Fry's has a promo code to get a touchscreen 2-in-1 Quad-Core 4GB RAM 32GB SSD Acer Chromebook right now for $160. If you're doing things on any model chromebook that require more power than one of those has, use your desktop.

Don't have a desktop PC. And the screen is the main attraction, at least on this model.

It's not really the power. If I want a non-atom laptop with a decent screen it's hard to not spend a shitload of money. This has a high resolution is 3:2 which is a bonus, and is rather cheap.

The screen on my cube thinker is amazing. I'd recommend it.

Id argue that a Chromebook with Crouton is both faster and more productive than a rMBP.

ChromeOS is nice brah.

I bought one of these.

> had to pry the case open to remove write protection
> plagued with driver issues
> sound still doesn't work
> weird afterimages on the monitor
> only Gnome 3 works with the screen
> random freezes
> closing it sometimes turns it off, making me lose work
> mine was sold with a horrible britbong keyboard

I gave in after a couple months and bought a MacBook.

nice proprietary botnet

Looks better than 16:9, 16:10 is better though.
We need a monitor with a (1+sqrt5)/2 ratio though.

surface books have extremely shitty durability. consumer reports fucking TORE them apart for it.

The only Windows laptop I know of that has a 3:2 aspect ratio is the Surface laptop. Other than that, there's a few PowerBook G4s that have it as well.

3:2 is a meme.
But it's the most correct meme ever.

Even the Ancient Greeks would give a thumbs up.

They were torn apart for reliability (unresponsive touch screens, sleep issues, driver issues), not durability.

isn't this just a question of flashing your own coreboot build?

This post is 100% pants on head retarded.

>buy a chromebook
>10h SoT
>put linux on it
>6h SoT
W H Y
H
Y

i have the i3 version though

in 2017 should i spend $100 more to make it a ultrabook?

>>> had to pry the case open to remove write protection
???

The case has a metal tab that shorts a pad on the motherboard and prevents the BIOS from being flashed.

I never had to do anything like that to put SeaBIOS on it.

You're sure you're talking about the Pixel, and not some other chromebook?

I know a lot of older chromebook had a screw you had to remove, the CR-48 had a switch in the battery compartment, but newer chromebooks dont even have a physical restriction, just a key combo

I think the 2013 pixel just uses the key combo

I don't know what specific Chromebook he has, I was just explaining what he's talking about.

The switch in the Cr-48 is to enable developer mode, you still have to remove the bottom half of the case to flash the BIOS.

I followed this guide with my Chromebook Pixel: vger.kernel.org/~davem/chromebook_pixel_linux.txt

Dev mode:
> Hold down "ESC" and "Refresh" at the same time while powering on the machine. BTW, those keys on the top row after ESC are just F1, F2, F3, etc. The F3 one is the "Refresh" key I mentioned.
>Hit Ctrl-D then Enter. It's going to take 5 minutes now as it's going to wipe the entire stateful (ie. user data) partition.
>From this point forward, every time you boot, it's going to say that Chrome OS can't be found or something similarly alarming like that, just ignore and hit Ctr-D or wait 30 seconds to boot into Chrome OS. But that won't be relevant for long as we're going to wipe it off the machine below :-)

>Boot into Chrome OS and configure it enough so that you can login. Start a shell:

>a) Hit Ctrl-Alt-T, this brings up the chrosh window, from crosh
> you can do things like spawn a shell, use SSH, etc. type "help"
> if you're interested in more.
> b) Give it the "shell" command.
> c) Get root, "sudo bash"

>3) Configure it so that we can boot into Linux images via SeaBIOS and boot from USB devices.
> > crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1
>and then power off the machine.

>6) Plug the USB image in, and power on the Pixel. When the boot screen appears hit Ctrl-L, SeaBIOS will come up and say "Hit ESC to choose boot device" so hit ESC and choose the USB device you plugged in.

From there you install any distro you like.

No shorting or screws or prying involved at all.

okay