/tpg/ ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) and P, T, X, and W SERIES if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

First for the xx30 line and daily reminder that you only need to flash your EC (which requires no special hardware) if you wanna use chink batteries and the classic keyboard

Let's face it you're already buying a xx30 for it's better gpus anyway

How's my first Thinkpad purchase? X230 i5

Manufacturer: Lenovo
Model: x230
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-3320M (2.60 GHz, 3MB L3, 1600MHz FSB)
RAM: 8G DDR3 (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: 128GB Solid STATE DRIVE SSD Sata 2.5" SUPER FAST performance
Graphics: Intel integrated HD
Screen: 12.5" 1366X768
Optical: no
Webcam: Low-Light 720p HD Camera with Face Tracking
Network: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6250 AGN
Interfaces: (1) MiniDisplayPort with audio (1) VGA (2) USB 3.0 (1) USB 2.0 (1) Always on USB 2.0 (1) 4-in-1 SD Card Reader (SD/SDHC/SDXC/MMC slot) (1) Express Card 54mm
COA: Windows 10 Professional

Paid $240

yea, pretty much just the iGPU
I usually play a little bit of games on it (2hu, osu! and emulators) and to be honest the tablet variants are really comfy for this

I got an X230 a few months ago. Paid in pounds rather than colony coins though, so cost a little more. See if you can pick up a cheap ultrabase 3 dock; it gives you extra ports and a DVD drive for ripping music. Might want to change the paste on the CPU if you haven't already. It can be a little annoying to try and reconnect some of the cables after disassembly, but that's literally the only downside I've found so far.

Just got my t430.
Should I format it? Would it be enough?

Enjoying my T460 very much. Got it for €450 incl. 1 year on-site warranty. Bright 1080p ips/good battery/ssd/solid build quality.

I bought a T440P for the better GPU on that.

>tfw no dropin laptop GPUs

If that was a thing on thinkpads they'd be literally fucking perfect for any task

Looking for a glorified term for webdev/light coding stuff. Thinking about slapping a ssd inside a x200 or x220 but I'm afraid the x200 would shit itself running all those godawful electron apps or useless frameworks someone at school is bound to shove down our throats because muh future . How wrong am I ?

Which thinkpad is best for peace of mind regarding intel ME?
Is coreboot enough or do I need to go full libreboot?
So far I have been looking at the X200.

For complete piece of mind you should go no less than full autismo with libreboot and trisquel/parabola

Some older ThinkPads have MXM slots. Not sure how well it worked though.

What are these stickers?

X200 or X60

Yeah sure
Maybe take look in the bios

Who makes that toaster sticker?

Anyone gotten faster than 1600MHz ram to work in T440p? Crucial lists 1866MHz as working but I've yet to see anybody actually post it.

My setup:

T440p
1920x1080p IPS matte screen
t450 trackpad
Backlit keyboard
256GB 2242 M.2 SSD
512GB Samsung 850 EVO
i7 4700MQ

Does anybody know about the Thinklight? I have seen conflicting documentation on multiple sites saying it was an option for the t440p but I cannot find any components or any model with it.

They're "Sup Forums approved toaster" stickers in tin foil
The guy at patchdynamics
He's gonna post here when he has them in stock
In the meanwhile you can go to his website for some really nice patches tho

Sorry but I'm a dumb newfag.
What should I look for in the bios?

Oh you know the usual
Passwords, if you already haven't
Computrace and what not
Check if they played with any hardware settings (multi threading, hyperthreading etc)
Or just reset the bios and call it a day

Honestly unless you want the free as in free autism vaccines, I say you'd benefit from the extra oomph for the x220 over a x200

One word
Whitelist

Oh you meant that. Yeah it was the first thing I checked, thanks.
Is win7 ice any decent? Using it atm and doesn't look bad. When I'll buy an SSD and more ram I'll switch to Linux, but for now is there any reason I shouldn't use it?

The elitebook 8770w doesn't have this problem

No win 7 should be fine but I'm guessing you've got only 4 gigs of ram
I wouldn't push it too far though with that much ram
Though I can't see why you can't use Linux now

The xx30s can do much more than those
If I weren't broke I'd love to own a x230t
I'm buying a TC4400 instead though

That's nice user
A bit too pricy if you're in the US but I'd guess that's mainly from the not shit amount of ram and SSD
Enjoy my dude

I'd like to start reading the Linux bible instead of throwing myself into stuff through tutorials and shit like I normally do, so I'd like to take my time and have a better experience overall with a faster pc and 8 gigs of ram and of course more knowledge on what I'm doing.

Reminder that this exists
I'm gonna buy one soon

Alright then
Good luck user

Holy shit that placard is glorious.

Thanks.
What's your setup?

T430
Default i5
8 GB ram
900p screen
1050ti egpu
One 500 spinner (win 10)
One 750 spinner (storage)
One spare 500 (gentoo) and spare 750 (spare) both spinners
One 128 GB msata ssd (win 8.1 embedded, Ubuntu)

Gonna buy a classic keyboard maybe
Or a Backlit one

but they're the only ones that are interesting to me desu

Looking to buy a refurbished T430, T430s or T440 to play around with - only problem I'm finding is that battery life is shite (2-3 hrs). Would it be wise to buy a cheap refurb and replace the batteries and swap out the DVD bay with a 3-cell?

I'm looking more towards 6-8+ hours battery life mostly on spreadsheets.

The guy making those is gonna post here when they're in stock
I'm stupidly hyped for them

Precision masterrace

That's cool user I'm just telling you it can do more

Shit Lenovo screens BTFO

These stickers are making me moist

i7 x230 or i5 t430?

It'll be for 4 years of college.

Is T540p gud?

Ultrabay (which is what the DVD bay is called) batteries don't work on T430 or newer
They only work the T430s (which believe me, it needs it the most)

Personally I can get around 4.5 hours from T430 with 6 cell so I don't know who told you 2-3 hours
I'd suggest you get a 9 cell and a T430 (and maybe a slice battery if you wanna go overboard)
That should get you around 8-9 hours ish

>lmao thinkpad screens are shit

I'm using mpv on T420, what's a good config for it?

Kind of I guess?

M4600 gudder

And elitebook masterrace ;-;

M4800 gudder than gudder

why?

EliteBooks are pretty, but ZBook is real masterrace.

Poorfags like me get same performance out of Precision lappy without $$$ pricetag.

The i5 and i7 s are the same in those
X230 if mobility
T430 if full fledged autism mobile (it supports quad core and stuff my man)

Dell Precision M4600, M4700, and M4800 have low values, better stock screen (1080p standard), MXM GPU, four RAM slots, option for quad cpu, etc.

Can I have the pizza please?

I looked them up, and yes they would be better, but used ones are few and far between in my country, and the ones out there are too expensive. I can get a good used T540p, for half of the cheapest m4800 I could find.

Enjoy 1366x768!

Ur country is shit. All the government contractors and feds in burgerland are throwing out beefy Precisions like there's no tomorrow.

pic was harsh but yeah. Maybe you can find a kangaroo or something

I have an old E530 which seems to be freezing randomly every 2 seconds every now and then. It seems to have this problem both on linix and windows.
Any idea of why it behaves like this?
It doesn't crash and it doesn't seem to misbehave in any other way.

Cooling? Broken ram? Have you done anything with the hardware lately?

Doesn't seem to have anything to do with temperature. Can happen when I boot it.
What is the easiest way to test ram? Ram test from linux live imge?
No, I have not done anything hardware related on the machine.

Just upgraded my t540p to a i7-4700k.
Feels pretty good.

Sorry for posting this on your venerable /tpg/ but I have a question; my uncle just gave me his Lenovo y50-70 (pic related9. Is this good for anything? Noob here.

Those are "cheap" gayming laptops.
Yes, those are pretty gud for the price.
Now GTFO off /tpg/ normie!

shit&praise hmm...
thank you anyway

Clean it out and have fun my dude
It's not /tpg/ material but I wouldn't get rid of it

>REEEEEEE MUH SEKRIT KLUB
>REEEEEEE GET THINKPAD

Nice css
And thinkpad (you did do a pad swap tho right?)

nah fuck freedumbs, I smoke 3 packs a day on purpose to get a pacemaker before turning 40 so the nsa can own me from the inside.

x220 it is.

Kek'd
Enjoy your X220

link?

So, the £75 15" T60p has been delivered. Like I was expecting it's 1400x1050, not 1600x1200.

Still a good price?

No still not.
I bought a chink one from ebay for 10 bucks.
I got it yesterday and I planning to do the swap tomorrow

Patchdynamics

>Vista
That takes me back

>comes with the key
r a r e

WAIT WHAT

>install xp
>advertised "120GB HDD"
>see this

The absolute madmen.

Nice very nice indeed.
But why xp?
Would you not be better off with some more free option iykwim.
Stallman is not proud of you user

But can you not see it was Designed for Windows® XP (Windows Vista™ Capable)?

I'll probably use XP, 7 and Loonix.

Finally got myself a x230. Put openSUSE on it, very happy with the result.

I traded a crappy netbook for a X41 tablet that will come in max two weeks and have several questions

>Can I slam a 2GB RAM stick into it if I don't have 1GB stick laying around?
>Does Linux easily recognize the stylus and digitizer? I want to use it as cintiq replacement on the go
>Can I trust chink batteries for $35? Locally they cost 60-86 Eur
>Can I cram a Broadcom Crystal HD hardware video decoder into it?

Current laptop I have is too bulky and heavy to carry with me every day, so I just want something lightweight for casual web browsing, drawing and watching animu on it

Are the stickers out?

This one?

Yeah

Just got my first t42! Scored it for $10. I'm currently installing debian on it, thinkpad master race- Would their be any bros out their that could spare a clit for my clitmouse? You would make a poorfags day

Who else Soft Dome Master Race here?
soft rim or classic dome fags btfo eternally

>soft rim
more like gay rim job am I right

>Can I slam a 2GB RAM stick into it if I don't have 1GB stick laying around?
If it's the right type, I don't see why not.
>Does Linux easily recognize the stylus and digitizer? I want to use it as cintiq replacement on the go
Yes.
>Can I trust chink batteries for $35? Locally they cost 60-86 Eur
Chink batteries just wear faster
>Can I cram a Broadcom Crystal HD hardware video decoder into it?
Maybe? Try it and see.

Not him, but as someone who has never used an IBM 40 series laptop, how usable are they today?

Install a lightweight linux distro (DebianDog, Porteus, Lubuntu) and it will be a decent browserbox as long as you manage your tabs well.

haha you are right my man! high five up top catch you on the flipside

Soft rim is the worst. Classic dome is okay, but yeah. Soft Dome is best trackpoint nub

Classic dome kina only works on the really old keyboards. I'm talking mid 90s here.

Meeting a pajeet who swaps parts around to flip laptops often. Paying $255 for a t430 with all the bells and whistles without gpu. Did I do good?
i7 3520m@ 2.9, 8gb dual channel ram, 1600x900, 500gb drive, 9-cell oem battery. Oem charger.

You could do better, but not without hours of scouring ebay. Not bad.

What 2.5'' drives can fit inside the x220's 2.5'' slot?

Anything 7mm or thinner will fit properly.

Probably 2.5" ones.

I made a 9mm SSD fit by removing the top portion of the drives enclosure, voided the warranty tho

>x220
>warranty
nigger what

Which one to go for?

x230 8GB 128GB SSD i7-3520M very good condition for 180GBP

or

E6430 i7-3720QM 8GB, 500GB HDD, Nvidia NVS5200m Grade D scrachtes around and dents with some light spots on screen for 150 GBP

or

T430 i7, 8GB, 500GB HDD only scratches on lid 222,22 GBP

or

W530, 4GB, no HDD, no battery, no, cable i7 3720QM with cracks shiny and ware ontouchpad for 150 GBP