Modem thread

Thinking of buying my own modem instead of having to rent onw through my provider.

Anything I should know? I'm going to be getting 100/35 speeds.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Next-Generation-ARRIS-SURFboard-SB8200-DOCSIS/dp/B01N6SKK1G/
theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/intel_puma_6_arris/
amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH46MWW/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't take it from me, but my guess is that for apartment living, most modems get the job done

>modem
did i accidentally travel back in time or something

Thanks bud. So helpful

Modems... more like

Are you retarded? Everyone has a modem, it's just that ISPs started pushing their shitty modem/router combo.

That's a good question, I've been thinking about what modem to get, all I need is passthrough to my UTM.

That's what I'm wondering. Does it really matter that much.

>Does it really matter that much.
What modem i get i mean

Most ISP modems are shit, a good modem can be a godsend.

So a $50 best buy modem would be better?

Eh, I wouldn't bother with the shit Best Buy has.

Well then where?

Amazon, if someone has an idea of a good DOCsis 3.1 modem.

>charter finally got off their ass and pushed 4-channel upstream bonding
>my connection actually lasts for days at a time now

fucking lazy googles

Some ISPs provide good modems too.

I'd say give the one from your ISP a chance before going out and buying an expensive modem. In my case, the one my ISP threw at me has absolutely no trouble handling my 300/60 Mbps connection while seeding over 500 torrents, and gives me most of the control/settings I'd have with a consumer router anyway. Even wifi gets great speeds on that thing.

amazon.com/Next-Generation-ARRIS-SURFboard-SB8200-DOCSIS/dp/B01N6SKK1G/

are there even any ISPs running 32 channels?

I think Comcunt is in certain locations.

Not everyone has access to Fiber Optic; so they need a modem to connect to their coax. cable in their home.

Only two things you should be concerned with.

1) Make sure your modem supports the DOCSIS version your ISP utilizes.

2) If you have a landline phone through your internet provider that uses your modem for it (VOIP) then you will be very hard pressed to find ISPs who will let you bring on your own modem that supports VOIP; they will let you use the modem for internet, but they won't allow you to use VOIP on that modem. They claim it is a legal issue, but either way, be wary. If you don't have a landline, this is irrelevant.

Sb6183 for docsis 3.0
Sb8200 for docsis 3.1

All you really need to know. You might not technically need the extra channels of the 6183, but if you live in a sense neighborhood or apartment building, the extra channels can help you maintain speed when everyone else is eating up the pipe.

I'm not paying 200 dollars for a fucking modem

But have you looked at your modem rental fee? At $9-12 a month you could just buy your own better gear and save a good deal of money.

i have gigaabit (1000/50) over coax using a docsis 3.0 modem

avoid anything with an INTEL PUMA processor. They are such shit there is a fucking class action lawsuit against arris (modem brand) because of them.

See: theregister.co.uk/2017/04/11/intel_puma_6_arris/

A fiber box is still a modem.

>tfw NBNCo just purchased several million of these

If this modem is on their supported list from their website, then get it. I have two of them (one for parent's house) and they are good. It might be a pain in the dick when you first call to activate depending in customer service of your ISP. And if you have it in a hard to reach spot, make sure you take down the mac address

No it's not.

Retards who grew up with cable keep pretending fiber optical network terminals are "modems" but they aren't at all related.

an ONT is a specific device, which performs a function not dissimilar to a modem, but the way it goes about it is entirely different, the standards and protocols used are not even related to DOCSIS or actual modems.

Your mom's a modem. +++ATH0

>+++ATH0
wew

There is no rental fee. The modem is borrowed from the ISP, not rented.

1 - 343 MBPS - 8 downstream 4 upstream (docsis 3.0)

343 - 606 MBPS - 16 downstream (docsis 3.0)

606 + 32downstream (docsis 3.1)

I have 155mbps Internet with a cheapo $40 Zoom 5341j I bought 5 years ago. Any Docsis 3.0 model will work just fine. Motorola/Arris are good brands from what I can tell

I got the motorola version of that modem so I didn't have to worry/pay for their shit modem. Works well, no isp issues. Just wish the i/o leds would flash in sync with data transfers like theirs did. Helps with simple troubleshooting at a glance.

Explain

Get with with 16 channels to avoid congestion:

amazon.com/gp/product/B06XH46MWW/

Don't even bother with 3.1 Docsis modems unless you know your ISP is bringing it to your city.

+++ATH0 was a way you used to be able to turn off people's internet

>In order to avoid licensing Hayes's patent, some manufacturers implemented the escape sequence without the time guard interval (Time Independent Escape Sequence (TIES)). This had a major denial of service security implication in that it would lead to the modem hanging up the connection should the computer ever try to transmit the byte sequence "+++ATH0" in data mode. For any computer connected to the Internet through such a modem, this could be easily exploited by sending it a ping of death request containing the sequence "+++ATH0" in the payload. The computer operating system would automatically try to reply the sender with the same payload, immediately disconnecting itself from the Internet, as the modem would interpret the ICMP packet's data payload as a Hayes command. The same error would also trigger if, for example, the user of the computer ever tried to send an e-mail containing the aforementioned string.

Hey OP, I bought a new modem just last week. I got a Motorola MB7420 and it's working great for me. Whatever you do make sure the modem you get doesn't have a puma 6 chip since apparently those are having problems. All the motorolas I saw used a Broadcom chip so they should be safe. That Arris in your pic should be safe too since it doesn't use the PUMA 6, but I read somewhere the tech is a little older.

Thabks user

>automatically assuming that everyone is an Amerilard
Rental fees for modems aren't a thing over here in the first world.

Lol, so because you're getting cucked obviously everyone is...right?

Fuck off retard

working a device support for amerifats. fuck i never knew your internet was sooooo shit.